Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The word, "Noob"

AuthorMessage
Squire
Dec 21, 2008
563
I'm sure you walk around hearing people saying the word, noob, I hate that word. Did you know: That some people think noobs are dumb people. It's a common misunderstanding. I don't think people should make fun of people at most level 12, because they were one at one point, even I was one (so cute when I was just a little apprentice theurgist), so I think the text chat should block the word, noob, because it's not correctly used, and I don't like it all!

Caroline Sunbright
Grandmaster theugist level 50

Squire
Jul 08, 2009
592
Rihanna12 wrote:
I'm sure you walk around hearing people saying the word, noob, I hate that word. Did you know: That some people think noobs are dumb people. It's a common misunderstanding. I don't think people should make fun of people at most level 12, because they were one at one point, even I was one (so cute when I was just a little apprentice theurgist), so I think the text chat should block the word, noob, because it's not correctly used, and I don't like it all!

Caroline Sunbright
Grandmaster theugist level 50
I agree completly because in the arena there was a initiate storm guy who called me and my friend a noob then we won at the end

Survivor
Jun 28, 2009
35
Someone called me a noob once and I felt it was insulting. I asked him why he called me a noob to which he replied that since I was a lower level I must be newer to the game and therefore was a noob. I asked if he had more characters and he replied this was his first. In response I went and pulled out my Storm Grandmaster, found him, and said "Hi it's me the guy you just called a noob". Then I went and retrieved my Balance Grandmaster, found him again and introduced myself as the noob once more. Finally I pulled up my Death Grandmaster, located him a last time, and asked "who is the noob now"? He aplogized thankfully, but before I left I told him that some of us have been playing for a while now and have more then one character. I also asked him nicely to be more mindful of the things he says to others.

So to any of you reading this post who are like this guy please be mindful of what you say. You never know who you will meet in your travels across the Spiral.

Edward StormCloud, Storm Grandmaster
Edward HexGiver, Balance Grandmaster
Edward LifeThief, Death Grandmaster

Survivor
Aug 11, 2009
38

i completely agree i think the word ( noob) is bad to say and i hear people say it all the time!

Explorer
Dec 19, 2008
60
I think the the word 'noob' should be banned also!

Most people call people noobs in the arena when they are loosing. They usually think that the "person winning is cheating!" or "Your using treasure cards!" The word 'noob' is commonly used as a taunt, trying to get the opponent angry and less concentrated on what he/she is doing. (Trust me, It's happened before to me) Personally, I think that the person calling the other person 'noob' is actually a 'noob'. For thinking that anyone that they are a higher level than is a noob. I'm a level 49 thaumaturge, does that mean I am a noob to a grandmaster?

Survivor
May 26, 2009
49
it is an awkward word, not really a bad word, it's mostly used when you are angry at someone lower level for doing something not smart game wise, like destroying a feint with a wand spell

but, you have to laugh when an incident like DokkenShang's happens ROFL!?!

Explorer
Jun 04, 2009
51
Not trying to be mean when I say this but why do you care what people say. Banning a word does no good because there are ways around the filtering system. You know this, I know this. If you ban the word "Noob" then they will just adopt another word to use. Just be the bigger person and ignore the rude remarks.

It's near impossible to protect our children from this type of behavior, but KI does try to limit the amount of exposure that does take place. This is where we as parents step in and teach our children the correct behavior. The world does not have a filter system and I feel that my son has good enough morals to know that this type of behavior is inappropriate.

Survivor
Jun 16, 2009
15
ya the word noob shuld be treated like a curse word open nor text should be able to use it it is very insulting. people take the word noob like your dum and slow and you not skilled at all this word should be banned

Survivor
Jun 28, 2009
35
I agree with WizardWarrior1193, and keep in mind that I have been the target of this comment myself as explained above. That certainly wasn't the first time; just the one time that irked me enough to do something. Anyway I agree that ignoring it is the best policy. Banning the word seems a bit to much.

Honestly I didn't know the intent of this thread was to propose a ban of the word. I was under the impression we were sharing our experiences as well as to help the community at large become more aware that some people are offended when that particular label is applied to them. Speaking of which it is sad indeed Jeetor made his post. I'm surprised it slipped by moderation since it is clearly meant to be inflammatory and insulting.

Survivor
Oct 30, 2008
20
People really think people are using the word 'noob' inappropiatly.I've been a 'noob' for a while.I didn't have a membership, and coulden't go to many places to level up.I've STILL been called a noob by other Grandmasters like me.I don't have much PvP skill and strtagy probably because of others using that word.I got agitated off the biggest chart EVER. I have a worse temper than ANYONE I know (besides my Mom).PLEASE KI,ban Noob and if people filter it,make a auto-report.




Artur Goldenblood=Grandmaster Pyromancer

Historian
Jun 14, 2009
678
I often hear this word a lot, but don't understand it's meaning. Would someone be so kind to tell me what a noob is?

Thank you.

Survivor
May 09, 2009
12
I want noob to be banned too but i say it to people who have called me a noob.There is another word i want to ban from Wizard101.The word is called hobo.When I was in the arena my opponet would not stop calling me hobo.So ban that to.

Survivor
Sep 01, 2009
12
sanmil0963 wrote:
I often hear this word a lot, but don't understand it's meaning. Would someone be so kind to tell me what a noob is?

Thank you.


In all honesty I would like this answer also. It seems that the old fashioned military term New On Base, NOB, has been street slanged into a demeaning slur, noob, so as to invoke an emotional response. It is simply put a common form of verbal harrassment. If my statements are correct, it's a bit petty. Would anyone care to confirm or correct my understanding of the meaning for the term noob? This is the only logical assessment I can deduce as to the origins for the term. Thanks

Delver
May 29, 2009
264
"Noob" is supposed to be short for "newbie". This basically means that others think you are low level, new to MMO or RPG, new to online or card strategy games, or using foolish moves during battle or PvP.

I have seen others called "noob" for using a wand spell to break traps, especially feint. Sometimes my diviner wizard got called a noob, even though I have 12 wizards and the lowest is an adept, because she fizzles a lot.

I have a Grandmaster balance wizard, which is the only one that I have used for PvP, and even she has been called a "noob" because she has only done PvP five times and is not experienced.

People who use the word "noob" only show their ignorance during gameplay or they just want to show off. I have been in battles and my strategy is to defend myself and other players, trap the monsters, then attack because I have pips for a big spell.

If someone calls me a "noob " when I am shielding and not attacking straight off or they tell me "I have the boss", then I let them have at it. If they think they are that good that they don't need help or dont' want to be a team player then I will start shielding myself. By this time they are begging me to heal them or kill the boss. I just ask them who's the "noob" now?

Alura Hexcaster Grandmaster Sorceress

Historian
Jun 14, 2009
678
SorceressMiklai wrote:
"Noob" is supposed to be short for "newbie". This basically means that others think you are low level, new to MMO or RPG, new to online or card strategy games, or using foolish moves during battle or PvP.

I have seen others called "noob" for using a wand spell to break traps, especially feint. Sometimes my diviner wizard got called a noob, even though I have 12 wizards and the lowest is an adept, because she fizzles a lot.

I have a Grandmaster balance wizard, which is the only one that I have used for PvP, and even she has been called a "noob" because she has only done PvP five times and is not experienced.

People who use the word "noob" only show their ignorance during gameplay or they just want to show off. I have been in battles and my strategy is to defend myself and other players, trap the monsters, then attack because I have pips for a big spell.

If someone calls me a "noob " when I am shielding and not attacking straight off or they tell me "I have the boss", then I let them have at it. If they think they are that good that they don't need help or dont' want to be a team player then I will start shielding myself. By this time they are begging me to heal them or kill the boss. I just ask them who's the "noob" now?

Alura Hexcaster Grandmaster Sorceress


Thank you for the explanition. I don't see what the big deal is about it though. If it only means inexperience, than why get so upset. It is not a horrible word. Why can't you say OK or just ignore them.?They can only get you upset and angry if you let them and I can't see how telling someone that they seem to be inexperience doing that. We all make mistakes during play. I myself at grand level have done stupid moves, because a quest was so long and I was tired. I just didn't think until it was too late. I say be the adult and ignore whomever is calling you the Noob. I can think of far worst names to be called.

Survivor
May 19, 2009
33
agreed it annoys me a lot and i see a lot of grand masters saying it the most and even lvl twenty people say it i hope they block it soon

from level forty eight life wizard

Survivor
Feb 21, 2009
25
sanmil0963 wrote:
SorceressMiklai wrote:
"Noob" is supposed to be short for "newbie". This basically means that others think you are low level, new to MMO or RPG, new to online or card strategy games, or using foolish moves during battle or PvP.

I have seen others called "noob" for using a wand spell to break traps, especially feint. Sometimes my diviner wizard got called a noob, even though I have 12 wizards and the lowest is an adept, because she fizzles a lot.

I have a Grandmaster balance wizard, which is the only one that I have used for PvP, and even she has been called a "noob" because she has only done PvP five times and is not experienced.

People who use the word "noob" only show their ignorance during gameplay or they just want to show off. I have been in battles and my strategy is to defend myself and other players, trap the monsters, then attack because I have pips for a big spell.

If someone calls me a "noob " when I am shielding and not attacking straight off or they tell me "I have the boss", then I let them have at it. If they think they are that good that they don't need help or dont' want to be a team player then I will start shielding myself. By this time they are begging me to heal them or kill the boss. I just ask them who's the "noob" now?

Alura Hexcaster Grandmaster Sorceress


Thank you for the explanition. I don't see what the big deal is about it though. If it only means inexperience, than why get so upset. It is not a horrible word. Why can't you say OK or just ignore them.?They can only get you upset and angry if you let them and I can't see how telling someone that they seem to be inexperience doing that. We all make mistakes during play. I myself at grand level have done stupid moves, because a quest was so long and I was tired. I just didn't think until it was too late. I say be the adult and ignore whomever is calling you the Noob. I can think of far worst names to be called.



"noob" was not supposed to be very insulting. Now though people use it to say,
-you stink
-you are terrible at this
-you are bad at everything
-you are weak

it is supposed to mean
-you are new to this

BAN THE WORD!!! i have never used it myself, but have been called it many times.

Defender
Mar 09, 2009
123
Having 5 grandmasters, one at level 46 and one at level 21, when someone calls me noob, I just say thank you. They don't know how to respond to that. Gets them every time! Don't let it bug you.

Rogan Firehammer - GM Fire
Blake Firehammer - GM Death
Angus Firehammer - GM Myth
Chase Firehammer - GM Balance
Ian Firehammer - GM Ice
Reed Firehammer - 46 Life
Adam Firehammer - 21 Storm

Survivor
Aug 29, 2009
5
My response to being called a noob "Thank You!" It is fun to watch their reaction. Most of the ones using the word are kids and they don't have the ability to handle the mind game or the being polite of saying thank you. Try it, they tend to ignore you later. One player called my a noob several times on different occasions, later begged me to help him with a quest. I asked if he was sure he wanted help from a noob, he was both embarrassed and apologetic. I still helped, when we finished his friends made sure he ate humble pie that day. By the way, we are still friends

Rowan Life Wizard

Survivor
Apr 13, 2009
15
DokkenShang wrote:
Someone called me a noob once and I felt it was insulting. I asked him why he called me a noob to which he replied that since I was a lower level I must be newer to the game and therefore was a noob. I asked if he had more characters and he replied this was his first. In response I went and pulled out my Storm Grandmaster, found him, and said "Hi it's me the guy you just called a noob". Then I went and retrieved my Balance Grandmaster, found him again and introduced myself as the noob once more. Finally I pulled up my Death Grandmaster, located him a last time, and asked "who is the noob now"? He aplogized thankfully, but before I left I told him that some of us have been playing for a while now and have more then one character. I also asked him nicely to be more mindful of the things he says to others.

So to any of you reading this post who are like this guy please be mindful of what you say. You never know who you will meet in your travels across the Spiral.

Edward StormCloud, Storm Grandmaster
Edward HexGiver, Balance Grandmaster
Edward LifeThief, Death Grandmaster

2 things
1. nice i have death and storm grandmaster and my balance is lvl 38 :-D
2. that happened on my balance when he got lvl 28. i fought a lvl 40 balance and when i won fairly he was like (before you read this we both had open chat so ya)
"OMG YOU TREASURE NOOB YOUR NOT HIGH ENOUGH LVL TO GET JUDGEMENT GET OFF THE GAME NOOOOOOOOOOOB"
that was so disruptive i showed him my stormgrandmaster, he challeneged me, and i won, he said those words again.
THEN i went on my death grandmaster and won and he said those words again. but after he lost the forth time to death he said he was sorry and was exagerating. (its spelled wrong)

so i dont think it should be banned from the chat, but banned from non pen chat users
(so like if someone is gonna say noob and word is red and for open chat users its yellow)
Ryan StormHeart LVL50 storm
Ryan DeathHeart LVL50 death
Ryan HexHeart LVL38 balance

Survivor
Jun 12, 2009
23
SorceressMiklai wrote:
"Noob" is supposed to be short for "newbie". This basically means that others think you are low level, new to MMO or RPG, new to online or card strategy games, or using foolish moves during battle or PvP.

Cut Text

Alura Hexcaster Grandmaster Sorceress


For those of us old enough to remember, "noob" was originally N00B (N, two zero's and a B). It generally referenced new users on the Internet (or one of its predecessor networks). When "hacker" speak became popular, the word became used more often.

It used to thrown around a lot when AOL first gave USENET access to their users, along with the word "AOLer" for much the same reason it is used here.

The point of my post? Banning the word will not solve anything. As in the early days of the internet, learning to ignore some things and avoid what we used to call "flamebait" is a good thing.

Survivor
Jan 30, 2009
38
the word noob means new to an mmo, and people are saying it as bad at the game, also, there are words like bolting noob, when all they do is bolt, and treasure noob, when all they do is treasure, the word noob offends me, and it is often level 10s that are noobs calling 50s noobs, witch is outrageous, i think it should be banned too

Defender
Jul 18, 2009
160
All this whining is a sad testament of today's younger generation.

I suppose the once common advice that I heard when younger is going to fall on deaf ears:

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me"

Perhaps those of you who are enpowering those that use a few pixels in a game to hurt you should re-examine what the reality of that statement means.

You give the people who use words as weapons the power when you complain. Quiet resolve and focus on enjoying the game will easily offset what a four letter word is or is not.

Survivor
Oct 11, 2008
28
Rihanna12 wrote:
I'm sure you walk around hearing people saying the word, noob, I hate that word. Did you know: That some people think noobs are dumb people. It's a common misunderstanding. I don't think people should make fun of people at most level 12, because they were one at one point, even I was one (so cute when I was just a little apprentice theurgist), so I think the text chat should block the word, noob, because it's not correctly used, and I don't like it all!

Caroline Sunbright
Grandmaster theugist level 50


hmm, your right, but WRONG at the same time, people can use other words to make the wood, noob, so yah there XD what what

-olivia griffindust lvl 50

Survivor
Oct 11, 2008
28
Rihanna12 wrote:
I'm sure you walk around hearing people saying the word, noob, I hate that word. Did you know: That some people think noobs are dumb people. It's a common misunderstanding. I don't think people should make fun of people at most level 12, because they were one at one point, even I was one (so cute when I was just a little apprentice theurgist), so I think the text chat should block the word, noob, because it's not correctly used, and I don't like it all!

Caroline Sunbright
Grandmaster theugist level 50


the best part bout being called a "noob" in pvp is when you WIN at the end i always say after someone calls me a noob and i win a pvp: "I'M a noob? ok since I'M a noob, you were just OWNED by a noob, so am i REALLY a noob??? ;) XP" teehee!!! thats the best part!!!!

-olivia deathcaster