Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Storm needs fixed

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 04, 2009
I'm sorry I'am a little annoyed and maybe its just me but Storm has to have something done to it to survive in 1v1 ranked. its either the spells need fixed because with everyone training in ice to tower shield they also get volcanic shield it seems no matter who you face they have storm shields but its not true for other classes not everyone carries or has death myth life ice shields and fire just seems useless to even shield against with all the DoT spams or their minions using DoT the other thing is insane bolt only dealing 1000 damage to the opponent or instantly killing the caster which seems a little unfair even though its moon damage it can still be reduced by tower shields absorbs shields weakness and isn't very much damage considering the risk especially when some ice wizards have up to 4000 hp wild bolt being 10,100,or1000 damage which i would be happier even if it was changed to 100or1000 damage i know the spell only cost 2 pips and can be spammed easily but so can the fire spell link and when a gargantuan is used on it the link spell can do some very considerable damage i would say all schools have a easy to spam spell at a low cost putting gargantuan on it to make it deadly except storm wild bolt or insane bolt are both a gamble which can be blocked too easily the best i could come up with to deal with storm shields is training into fire elf and using mutate elf cards which is not always a good deal when people have so many storm shields

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
Most damage from spells, best critical chance in the game, waterworks gear basically got rid of your accuracy problems, and universal resistance what storm has been wanting forever has now been given to them. I seriously don't understand where you are coming from. Your basically saying that it isn't fair that people use shields because when they shield you can't one shot them lol. Storm is fine if not overpowered.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Thorvon is absolutely correct... Storm is fine... Spending 2 training points on fire elf and buying mutate treasure cards is not a big deal, especially when it gets rid of a bunch of those pesky storm shields... And only costs 2 pips or 1 power pip... So, Storm can easily blade twice, cast Storm Elf, then Cast Leviathan... WOW, awesome strategy!

Explorer
Jul 28, 2011
Not too mention I had to stop reading the OP halfway down because i couldn't stop thinking to myself that there is no punctuation in this kid's post.

I have to say though, that not every diviner is guaranteed to have the waterworks gear the second they want to 1v1ranked. They shoudn't have to grind that far and for that long just to curve a disadvantage of the class.

The only problem I'm having with storm that isn't just an error on my side is the accuracy. 70% chance to hit, okay. But fire is just 5% more at 75%. Im about to start writing down and logging my casts versus fizzles because my fire almost never fizzles. But whether im just dropping a thunder snake or have saved up for a shark, my storm spells fizzle WAY WAY more often. (and if this is just a coincidence, its a very long term and ongoing one.)
Im lucky if i can get two off over the course of a fight.

I literally am put in to the position that by choosing a storm magic spell, i'm choosing to save a pip that round, with a chance to do some damage instead.

Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Historian
May 01, 2010
BattleCrabs1 wrote:
I'm sorry I'am a little annoyed and maybe its just me but Storm has to have something done to it to survive in 1v1 ranked. its either the spells need fixed because with everyone training in ice to tower shield they also get volcanic shield it seems no matter who you face they have storm shields but its not true for other classes not everyone carries or has death myth life ice shields and fire just seems useless to even shield against with all the DoT spams or their minions using DoT the other thing is insane bolt only dealing 1000 damage to the opponent or instantly killing the caster which seems a little unfair even though its moon damage it can still be reduced by tower shields absorbs shields weakness and isn't very much damage considering the risk especially when some ice wizards have up to 4000 hp wild bolt being 10,100,or1000 damage which i would be happier even if it was changed to 100or1000 damage i know the spell only cost 2 pips and can be spammed easily but so can the fire spell link and when a gargantuan is used on it the link spell can do some very considerable damage i would say all schools have a easy to spam spell at a low cost putting gargantuan on it to make it deadly except storm wild bolt or insane bolt are both a gamble which can be blocked too easily the best i could come up with to deal with storm shields is training into fire elf and using mutate elf cards which is not always a good deal when people have so many storm shields

let me ask you something about spamming, what happends when i dont know, you put gargantuan on lightning bats? lets see that would be 475- what 550? anyway, plus your boost wich is usually 60% and you got an 800 attach spell, now how is that hard to spam? anyway, your complaining about cheap shots insane bolt is meant as a HAIL MARY spell, as in, you dont rely on it as a main spell, if you are about to die, would you like to have a chance at killing the enemy, or just sit there and die? most people would say try to kill am i right???? ok also on the topic of bolts. wild bolt is a 33% chance of hitting a thousand insane is an 80% chance. if you were to make wild bolt 50%, then you would allow the little storm wizards running around ms, taking cheap shots at enemies, and not to mention pvp, i mean really, they changed wild bolt so that it WOULDT be that reliable for spamming, because people had the accuracy up to 60-80 and you suggestion will jsut bring that back.

btw do you think fire is a powerful school? i have beaten a lot of really good pvp players, and on that subject, there is one STORM student, that gives my wand to me on a silver platter. now do you say that storm should be fixed? i dont, and like the saying goes, a journey of a thousand miles always begins with one step. so take that first step, and fix your strategy, find out what your missing and fix it, because its not the school that is broken.

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
Use a storm prism after your opponent casts their storm shield right before your attack and it converts you damage into myth damage, bypassing their storm shields. And use a myth wand to destroy any myth shields they may put up. -gabriel 'i use tempest way too much' darkthorn, master diviner (the evil twin)

Defender
Aug 07, 2010
Ok I wanna put my 2 cents in on this subject.

Storm is perfect and here is why. *BTW* I have storm currently 30 and its a knight or captain.

1) Storm has the highest attacks in the game.

2) Storm at high lvl almost never fiz have universial resist and increadibly high boost up to 90%+

Its not about shields they are easy to get rid of its about stragety making your own plans.

I use use a side deck of 3 spritely 2 shatter 3 tower shield 3 spirit shield and 1 ice frozen armor. If you all want what I use in my deck hit me up ill share some to help you all out storm people.

Depending on who you go up against its easy. Balance and myth are terrible though. I hatched and got a storm hound pet also. See you gotta watch your pip management in the first few turns I choose to blade or trap so I dont use pips. If I knwo I can boost up and kill them and save pips then I will use a storm hound card and save up blade up trap and kill them. Its not this is waht I do.

When I hit that 3rd turn and I see they have somethings going for them I tower treasure shield or tower shield since i trained up on it. And i put to of them up back to back. They wont attack wastes a balance blade when they know they arent going to kill me so they use minor blasts get them off or wait use converts or whatnot.

In that time you should be about your 5th turn or 6th and have pips ready and have traps blades and more. Then I choose to draw a shatter treasure card and remove off all their shields and then I attack and kill them with a kracken. I mean its fair game. Its all stragety about how you win. Shields dont bother me anymore I use a stragety of I wait survive then kill them.

Someone posted that wild bolt is a hail marey or something like that. Its true for the most part. Storm doesnt have health and if you dont waste 20$ for a life amulet which *I wont* you gotta learn to survive. If they cast a weakness or a -50% healing I use a spritely or wand it off. If your in that 200 or below stage where you dont have health or healing and they do not have shields on then I would attack. Remeber storm do not have health and is ment to be a quick attack or a one hit kill.

You have to think about what your doing thats all just simple stagety. Good luck to you maybe this might help you alllllllllllllll.

Blake NightWraith storm 30
Blake NightWraith fire 15
Blake NightWraith Life 60
Blake NightWraith Death 50

Defender
Jun 12, 2009
i actually disagree with you but i do think there is a problem with storm which is insane bolt today i was doing practice matches and i was up against a storm and the first time he used insane bolt it did a 1500 damage and thats only with 2 only 2 pips he did that then he did it again and killed me with only 4 pips total to attacks to rounds and i even have a pet with resist and full waterworks gear i think insane bolt should be removed from the history of spells or edited quite a bit.

ethan legendblade- lvl 60 myth warlord 1672 rating

Defender
Feb 03, 2009
Storm is perfect and here is why. *BTW* I have storm currently 30 and its a knight or captain.

I just wanted to comment on your post. You have a sound strat and at level 30 Storm seems completely AWESOME! That changes however.

Storm shields ARE a problem. A big problem. I don't know how you magically are able to "choose" to draw your Shatter Spell at just the right moment, but I can assure you that a Storm Shield will be back in place the next round. Depending on when your turn is can make or break the match.

Also, as you level your Storm Mage you will notice how pathetically small your life total is. My Storm Mage is level 52 and has 1999 health and great gear. Staying alive in the Arena becomes a BIG problem.

You will also notice how in most PvP strat complaints/guides that the only thing that is mentioned about Storm is that it has the highest attacks. People will use this for both defensive and offensive reasonings as if it's just self explanatory.

Whats the point of having the highest attacks when you are constantly facing Storm Shields?

There are really only two ways to approach using Storm in the Arena.

1. Overpower with attacks and hope a constant barrage of damage can overcome the Storm Shields and you can stay alive long enough to disable your opponent.
2. Use Prisms.

Keep in mind that your opponents will be getting bigger and better spells as they level up too. Spells that do all sorts of wacky, wonderful things like DoT's, Double Hits, Damage/Heal, Shield rip etc. while all yours will do is hit harder...against Storm Shields. It's kinda anticlimactic actually. But it is what it is...adapt and overcome I suppose.

Storm rules in PvE, but leaves alot to be desired in PvP.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
You need to build a deck just for 1v1 play. In 1v1 my storm does away with all of its high pip cards and goes with enhanced snakes and bats and the like and it matters not if those I'm up against use shields every turn as I break them every turn and they don't have time to double up or even take time to heal for when they do try to heal they go without a shield for the turn. If they resist storm too much or if things aren't going my way I'll turn to using insane bolt, which although problematic in that it will kill me a lot it is at least fun and gives me the feeling that I am at least playing storm.

Amongst my legendaries, I have storm, life, balance, and death. Storm, life, and death all feel about equal in their current game and PvP playability. Balance feels just a bit weaker at the moment to me, but that is because Wizards101 fixed their healing bug, before that bug was fixed balance had huge helping hand type heals which made them play what I thought was about the strongest in the game, without the extra healing bug they feel amongst the weakest.

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
BattleCrabs1 wrote:
You must have missed the thread by the guy that thinks storm is too overpowered... Lightning elf will vaporize 4 storm shields for 2 pips, sounds like a good deal to me! Once you practice more you will learn the advantages and disadvantages of every school, then you will learn to overcome your weakness and gather your strengths. Good Luck

Defender
Aug 07, 2010
Dridsuzy

I fail to see your point. Honestly I am a lvl 30 and I am going up again lvl 60 people and winning. You complain about health thats a problem but think about me? your complaining about a lvl 60 health when I am lvl 30 with 1100 hit points and winning. So therefore, its not health its about strategy that plays a big part of this game.

And I do not magically draw a shatter lol that is kinda funny. No what you do to get one since I only have a sideboard of 12 is usually when you draw in your hand you will get 3 maybe for cards you want maybe 4. You discard what you do not need. Soo you discard 4 cards and you draw 2 treasure cards. That way over the four turns you have gone through 8 treasure cards and you have a 1 in 6 chance of getting a shatter. Since I only keep two in my deck and you will get the treasure you need while still keeping or looking for the other cards to come up you need like blades attack or shields.

Bottom line is if your storm and you go first there isnt a reason you shouldnt win. I mean save up pips to like 7 or 8 use a shatter and kill them with levi. Its the same principles of what I am saying. I can use this when I lvl up just with different cards and higher hits. Now if you go second it might be a different story. I put up one or two towershields let them get it off but I win around 40% - 50% of the time I go second and thats allot.

Blake NightWraith storm 30
Blake NightWraith fire 15
Blake NightWraith Life 60
Blake NightWraith Death 50

Defender
Feb 15, 2009
Mastermind
Jun 10, 2009
Storm really isnt that bad in pvp. Once i faced a fire wiz in 1v1 and he went down easy. (And everyone says fire is best in 1v1) But i also faced 2 storm wizards, and they killed me so quickly i didnt have time to blink.
Leviathin is very powerful when criticaled.
William Crowthistle Legendary Pyromancer
8)

Survivor
Jun 30, 2008
Wizards of Wizard101 ... come to an End with this subject because we all know just add an unstoppable to a storm spell and Volia. YOU have full accuracy on your storm spell and btw the attack is fine by itself (overpowered if you ask me).

Delver
Aug 30, 2011
BattleCrabs1 wrote:

I'm not a Storm, but yeah Ice wizards have all this powerful resist and shields that make them hard to defeat. But making Wild Bolt hit 10000 is a bit overpowered even with the 10% percent accuracy thing. If that change came to Wild Bolt then it will basically judge the fate of the target. If you fizzle, then they have a while longer to live. If you don't, then you'll pwn them in one shot. And I do say that Insane Bolt is a bit too edgy for a risk of self-obliteration. KI probably made it so that Storm wizards can use it when they are about to get their butt kicked. Why not try? You'll still die either by battle or by your own spell. It's Moon damage so mere storm shields will judge useless either for the caster or the target. Storm is already very powerful, it's the strategic of the school. Storm has low accuracy and health but their attacks can kill an unshielded enemy within a couple rounds. Ice is actually pretty fair. I mean, yeah their health seem undefeatable but their attacks are not the strongest.

Mastermind
Feb 16, 2009
shrukain wrote:
The goal of PvP is to win. Is not that what storm players are doing???

Not to be rude, but if you weren't going to contribute in the least to this thread, why on earth did you post? :? :|

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
1. Storm does need a DoT. Why should one school have to rely on training points and treasure cards while others don't have to? My only restriction on this is it has to be a 5 pip DoT, and most of the damage needs to be focused on the first hit.

2. Wild bolt and insane bolt don't need to be powered up. They are hail mary spells, not your ordinary attack.

Delver
Aug 30, 2011
Solstice64 wrote:
1. Storm does need a DoT. Why should one school have to rely on training points and treasure cards while others don't have to? My only restriction on this is it has to be a 5 pip DoT, and most of the damage needs to be focused on the first hit.

2. Wild bolt and insane bolt don't need to be powered up. They are hail mary spells, not your ordinary attack.

The only DoT storm has is Storm Elf, but that card is as weak as a lost soul and can't be trained. I don't actually think Storm needs a Damage over Time spell anyways, their tactic is to attack with big bulky amounts of damage, not dull the opponent over time.