Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Something Needs to be Done with Jade Gear

AuthorMessage
Delver
Dec 08, 2016
Please do something about this. This topic has been already addressed too many times in the past. I've been watching so many Ranked matches recently and there has been an increasing amount of players going for this 'strategy'. Although Death is my main school and I perfectly understand the reason behind it with Death being a low tier school and all for max PvP, I still don't see how it would be fair for others. I'm all for fairness for everyone. Not every single person or every school can counteract an Angel Life or a Juju Death extremely well, especially if you're second from them. Most players would also expect to face an opponent who plays offensive, so they wouldn't have been prepared at all for the match. Jading also doesn't justify for Death's many disadvantages in PvP, it only contributes to the many problems we already have. A Juju Jade complaining about how broken PvP is, is quite ironic for me.

Also, I believe that instead of blaming Bad Juju and Guardian Spirit, the problem lies more with Jade gear and high resist gears in general rather than these two spells. Other schools have spells they can spam (with Lore being a perfect example), so why should we only single out these two spells from the rest? If we ban Jade gear from 1v1, I think the arena would be a little more equal. Jade gear is more suitable and appropriate in team PvP. If we also consider giving Life or Death better hitting spells in the future, I think this would also encourage them to hit. That way, an offensive Death won't be able to Juju spam since we have our damage, pierce, blades and shields. Something should also be done about multiplying Bad Juju TC. We need to find a way for everyone to start hitting again and find PvP enjoyable and fair.

Explorer
Dec 26, 2010
deathsummoner4 on Jan 23, 2018 wrote:
Please do something about this. This topic has been already addressed too many times in the past. I've been watching so many Ranked matches recently and there has been an increasing amount of players going for this 'strategy'. Although Death is my main school and I perfectly understand the reason behind it with Death being a low tier school and all for max PvP, I still don't see how it would be fair for others. I'm all for fairness for everyone. Not every single person or every school can counteract an Angel Life or a Juju Death extremely well, especially if you're second from them. Most players would also expect to face an opponent who plays offensive, so they wouldn't have been prepared at all for the match. Jading also doesn't justify for Death's many disadvantages in PvP, it only contributes to the many problems we already have. A Juju Jade complaining about how broken PvP is, is quite ironic for me.

Also, I believe that instead of blaming Bad Juju and Guardian Spirit, the problem lies more with Jade gear and high resist gears in general rather than these two spells. Other schools have spells they can spam (with Lore being a perfect example), so why should we only single out these two spells from the rest? If we ban Jade gear from 1v1, I think the arena would be a little more equal. Jade gear is more suitable and appropriate in team PvP. If we also consider giving Life or Death better hitting spells in the future, I think this would also encourage them to hit. That way, an offensive Death won't be able to Juju spam since we have our damage, pierce, blades and shields. Something should also be done about multiplying Bad Juju TC. We need to find a way for everyone to start hitting again and find PvP enjoyable and fair.
I'm in total agreement that jade gear is a problem in pvp and shouldn't be allowed at the very least in 1v1 (though I think it should just be banned altogether a team that has 2 or 3 jade gear healers and a hitter is basically impossible to beat if you don't use that same strategy yourself).

I don't think people truly single out juju and spirit guardian from the rest of the spam spells though. They just tend to get talked about more because they happen more often in the arena compared to spam such as lore and and shield spam with jade gear. All spam spells are a problem that needs to be addressed. If you take away spam spells then "strategies" that include jade gear as a main component become ineffective.

The gear still gives high resist true, but if you play smart then you can eventually take down someone with high resist if you're not constantly getting spammed with debuffs and shields every single turn or every other turn.

Better spells for hitting for life and death might get some people to start to play more offensively but it could also add to the spam problem if that is not fixed at the same time as adding the offensive spells. With a better offensive spell a juju jade spammer could simply spam until they have put enough debuffs on to safely cast a blade possibly 2 then hit and one shot an opponent with ease.

The same could be said of guardian spirit. Knowing they will come back to life a life wiz could simply cast guardian spirit then use the offensive spell when they have the pips between spams and eventually run the other wiz down since no one but another life wiz is gonna have big enough heals to keep up with what would essentially become 2 spams, spam of spirit and spam of the new offensive spell(after all if a life wiz uses shields while doing this then there is plenty of time for them to stock up on pips to attack then guardian spirit if they are close to dying).

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
I think the fact that each school has so few good spells to choose from is a reason why spamming is the norm. Why would a balance not use lore if they had it? For a ccg based game being out for 10 years there really aren't that many cards for each school. Every year we get one attack spell more powerful than the year before. One.

Where are the utility spells? Where is mass cleanse charm/ward?

Back on topic:

I'm OK with banning jade in pvp(all, not just 1v1), but if that happens pierce needs a nerf. A lot of other gear needs a rework. And I want some crowns back for all those packs I bought. Not a full refund, but I want something back if jade gets nerfed from pvp.

Every school having specific gear pieces with all your stat bonuses on them was a mistake. The bulk of your stats should come from experience levels. Or allocating points to stats a player wants to raise.

But that is pointless to discuss.

Delver
Dec 08, 2016
All I really want is for Jade gear and immunity to be banned from both Ranked & Tourney 1v1. Jade gear has been abused and exploited too much to the point where the arena is literally teeming with so many Jades. It's crazy that some people would even go as far as to be immune to a school in a Quick Match 1v1, which has happened to me quite a few times in the past. I agree that there should also be a limit of only 2 Jades within a team, since not every team has the same strategy. If Jade gear were to be actually banned in the future, these two Jade schools could perhaps be given better hitting spells to make up for this. I know Death needs a little boost in their spells, since they've fallen behind the others for quite some time now.

Delver
Dec 08, 2016
Luvdogs99 on Jan 24, 2018 wrote:
I'm in total agreement that jade gear is a problem in pvp and shouldn't be allowed at the very least in 1v1 (though I think it should just be banned altogether a team that has 2 or 3 jade gear healers and a hitter is basically impossible to beat if you don't use that same strategy yourself).

I don't think people truly single out juju and spirit guardian from the rest of the spam spells though. They just tend to get talked about more because they happen more often in the arena compared to spam such as lore and and shield spam with jade gear. All spam spells are a problem that needs to be addressed. If you take away spam spells then "strategies" that include jade gear as a main component become ineffective.

The gear still gives high resist true, but if you play smart then you can eventually take down someone with high resist if you're not constantly getting spammed with debuffs and shields every single turn or every other turn.

Better spells for hitting for life and death might get some people to start to play more offensively but it could also add to the spam problem if that is not fixed at the same time as adding the offensive spells. With a better offensive spell a juju jade spammer could simply spam until they have put enough debuffs on to safely cast a blade possibly 2 then hit and one shot an opponent with ease.

The same could be said of guardian spirit. Knowing they will come back to life a life wiz could simply cast guardian spirit then use the offensive spell when they have the pips between spams and eventually run the other wiz down since no one but another life wiz is gonna have big enough heals to keep up with what would essentially become 2 spams, spam of spirit and spam of the new offensive spell(after all if a life wiz uses shields while doing this then there is plenty of time for them to stock up on pips to attack then guardian spirit if they are close to dying).
Yes, but playing smart doesn't always guarantee/give you a higher chance of winning against a Juju spammer or an Angel Life. I've seen a Balance warlord get taken down by a Juju spammer with Dark Nova. And a friend of mine who has only recently started doing PvP, faced a Corporal Juju spammer during his first match, which I find to be extremely unfair. As I've mentioned earlier, not everyone has the same experience as those who may have encountered Jades before in the past or those who have figured out a strategy to counter them, so he ended up fleeing in the end. Angel Jades may be easier to take down, but their revival can be a nuisance. I've also witnessed something unusual a few weeks ago involving a Death Jade who revived twice even after being killed without a Guardian Spirit up (from her wand) and contacted the staff if there was a glitch/bug involving this spell, and they've said that there's none. It's possible that there are some Jade hackers out there.

Explorer
Dec 26, 2010
deathsummoner4 on Jan 25, 2018 wrote:
Yes, but playing smart doesn't always guarantee/give you a higher chance of winning against a Juju spammer or an Angel Life. I've seen a Balance warlord get taken down by a Juju spammer with Dark Nova. And a friend of mine who has only recently started doing PvP, faced a Corporal Juju spammer during his first match, which I find to be extremely unfair. As I've mentioned earlier, not everyone has the same experience as those who may have encountered Jades before in the past or those who have figured out a strategy to counter them, so he ended up fleeing in the end. Angel Jades may be easier to take down, but their revival can be a nuisance. I've also witnessed something unusual a few weeks ago involving a Death Jade who revived twice even after being killed without a Guardian Spirit up (from her wand) and contacted the staff if there was a glitch/bug involving this spell, and they've said that there's none. It's possible that there are some Jade hackers out there.
I never said it gives you a higher guarantee of winning I'm just saying it's a lot more possible to beat someone with jade gear if you get rid of or limit spam spells. In your examples you have specifically mentioned spammers and In my answer before I stated that what would make winning a little easier against jade gear (since I'm not sure that it will ever actually get banned) is to limit those spells so that you don't have to deal with them on top of the jade gear (at least not in excessive amounts like you do now it is possible to counter debuffs if you only have to deal with 3 or 4 in the whole match).

As for experience battling people with jade gear well only way to gain that is to pvp them, might result in a few lost matches until you can think of good strategy to beat them but if you take away the spamming then that is what pvp is supposed to be about, figuring out how to make a strategy that will win you the battle.

Revival is a nuisance I agree but it IS possible to take them down especially if you limit them from being able to spam guardian spirit up to 8 times since that's how many copies they currently can carry in their regular deck not their sideboard at max level.

Hackers would not surprise me either but not much anyone can do about that unless KI wants to try to hunt them down.

Survivor
Apr 19, 2009
Stalling is such an unethical strategy that is totally against the spirit of PvP. Many of players who use this 'strategy' don't have any intent to actually kill their opponent. They force them to flee, adding insult to injury by preventing them from winning any arena tickets, even.

KI won't even consider offering a solution because most of this stuff is of course Crowns Jade gear that puts money in their pocket. Tanking is no longer then ice wizard standard in player vs player because any school is able to do it with the right amount of cash.

So really, there is little point in evening arguing. Cheap strategies obtained with real money are just the standard for KI.

Survivor
Dec 10, 2009
I may be coming in a little late on this, but I think the gear and spells aren't necessarily the problem. The best way to get rid of Jade pvpers is to have a time limit on all matches similar to the tournaments. Ranked pvp would more likely see less of them as time went on. If a match is between 10 to 60 minutes long, you take the biggest advantage away from Jaders. Then if there are no kills, the system can determine the winner. Possibly having the players dealing the most damage as winners. Can you image those who build jades always losing because they don't attack? Jade gear has its usefulness. The best solution in my opinion isn't to nerf spells and gear, but to change how pvp functions.

I was a 1st age pvper, but as soon as 2nd age came out, I left. I realized then that it was broken. Players would complain that spells were being spammed, so KI changed the spells. Guess what? The problem still exists today. I think adding time limits will help, if not solve, bring some balance to pvp.

Mastermind
Nov 27, 2013
we should have the ability to specify how long the longest match we want will be. Say choices of 15, 30, 45 min and an hour or more.

Let the guardian spirit jades and the bad juju jades enjoy each other.

But let those of us who want to engage in real pvp enjoy the game.

Mastermind
Nov 27, 2013
dear KI

please make this spell:

it is a death school Supercharge that gives 100% damage per pip

but

you can only cast it on your opponent

Mastermind
Nov 27, 2013
Or here's my favorite way to fix bad juju in pvp:

In a ranked match, bad juju has a 20% chance of converting itself to a Death school version of Insane Bolt.

one way or the other, I think that would be fine.

Survivor
Jun 15, 2015
Until they buff Death a bit we can only stand a chance with Jade Juju. Yes, exceptions exist. I'm a max Death and I'm trying to climb some but may have to resort to Jade Juju myself which is sad. I agree the strategy needs to go but first they need to give us some buffs.
I'd say some minor buffs to Qismah and Sorrow (nothing to insane), giving our drains the full enchant instead of 2/3, fix Avenging Fossil (seriously. It's useless) and some new non self hit utility/prevent our utilities from using our blades (to balance this they can not use weaknesses either). I'm no expert in balancing but I think these changes would fix Death and allow Jade Juju to die. They could even make these buffs PvP only.

Survivor
Jun 15, 2015
ChicoValerian on Mar 22, 2018 wrote:
Or here's my favorite way to fix bad juju in pvp:

In a ranked match, bad juju has a 20% chance of converting itself to a Death school version of Insane Bolt.

one way or the other, I think that would be fine.
First they gotta buff Death a bit. Sadly we suck at PvP. If they let my post through (not my reply to you) then I gave them great suggestions.

Mastermind
Nov 27, 2013
Interesting suggestions, Skeletor, but what if they simply cranked up the damage given to the death school a little bit.

One more idea I had to fix bad juju: the fifth time it is cast in a match, it kills the caster's pet as a side effect.

Mastermind
Nov 27, 2013
Another way to make juju more competitive would be to make a wand that hits three or four little tiny hits with each cast. This would be a way to shed three or four weakness or break multiple identical towers in one turn. There are lots of wands that emit multiple blasts of energy or magic, but it is all bundled in a single hit. The wand I am suggesting (even if it had two half-hits instead of one) would have a different mechanic. call it the pew-pew wand and give it a double hit.

Mastermind
Nov 27, 2013
What we need is an astral school enchant that we can put on our wand hit card that splits the hit into two parts. This would enable a pvp'er who is facing a juju artiste to remove two jujus with a single wand hit.

...If they had that enchant in their deck and it showed in their hand, of course.

Mastermind
Nov 27, 2013
oh! here is another solution:
Damage to self caused by juju, empower, etc, is damage that cannot be healed off. It reduces your max health for the duration of the match. This would apply to bad juju, dark pact, empower, and the fire heal as well. So you could eventually kill yourself with bad juju. or empowers or whatever.

Survivor
Jun 15, 2015
ChicoValerian on Mar 26, 2018 wrote:
Interesting suggestions, Skeletor, but what if they simply cranked up the damage given to the death school a little bit.

One more idea I had to fix bad juju: the fifth time it is cast in a match, it kills the caster's pet as a side effect.
That would suffice. Btw, before anyone says I'm biased asking for a Death buff just because I play Death statistically speaking Death is the best to solo the main game. However, in its current state Death is garbage in most PvP tiers. They also need to fix the middle tier schools of Life, Myth and Storm to bring them all to par.

Mastermind
Nov 27, 2013
Skeletor, how much effect did the introduction of dispel shields have on making this juju thing metastasize, in your view?

Mastermind
Nov 27, 2013
Was watching a match tonight and another wiz, Wolf Moonheart suggested that juju should be restricted from casting twice in a row. Since juju is pretty much an all-school dispel, maybe a juju shield should be added just like was done with dispels.

Or maybe there could be a juju shield that a person could cast on themself.

Juju is really hurting late night pvp, nobody wants to join because of the prospect of a protracted match where you watch the other person hurt themselves over and over.

I really think that you should not be able to heal back any damage that you chose to put on yourself. It should reduce your max health for the duration of the match.

Something needs to be done, KI. I hope you are listening. tyvm

Survivor
Dec 16, 2010
Skeletor1598 on Mar 24, 2018 wrote:
First they gotta buff Death a bit. Sadly we suck at PvP. If they let my post through (not my reply to you) then I gave them great suggestions.
Death doesnt suck at pvp, you just dont know how to pvp as a death lol

Delver
Dec 08, 2016
AstroLeague on Apr 7, 2018 wrote:
Hmm...I'm a bit conflicted on the whole 'Death sucks at PvP' subject, but you can't deny that Death has many disadvantages compared to other schools. After all, there are reasons why many would consider it a low-tier school. Just look at the leader boards. There aren't too many Death warlords, especially at max, who most likely earned their ranks through Juju spamming. My theory is the reason why the school might be 'bad' in PvP is due to the fact that it's the best solo school in game (at least in my opinion, with its draining spells you never really die in battle nor do you have to use up your potions), so I guess that's just a way to balance everything out.

Delver
Dec 08, 2016
And for low level Death PvP, now that the school has been given Headless Horseman, it's gotten a lot better but a lot of the other schools can still Triage or Shift our DoTs. At the higher levels though, it's a different case.

Survivor
Jun 15, 2015
While skill does come into play Death has little going for them in the current pvp meta. The drains don't heal reliably, enchants only buff them with 66% (Don't say the rest goes to healing cuz it actually doesn't. The heal only increases because the damage increases.), they can't spike damage without a shadow pip, they're utilities hurt them, they lack reliable offensive defense (Such as Loremaster, Efreet, etc.), the most reliable hits are DoT (which can be gotten rid of easy). Legitimately, the only real reliable strats for Death atm revolve around Jade Juju and as much as I hate Juju spam myself getting rid of it would give Death next to nothing for pvp. Now the challenge is finding some small buffs to fix the pvp balancing without throwing Death even further ahead of most schools for pve. I trust KI will find some way to balance the game without any one school being op... eventually.

Survivor
Jun 15, 2015
deathsummoner4 on Apr 8, 2018 wrote:
Hmm...I'm a bit conflicted on the whole 'Death sucks at PvP' subject, but you can't deny that Death has many disadvantages compared to other schools. After all, there are reasons why many would consider it a low-tier school. Just look at the leader boards. There aren't too many Death warlords, especially at max, who most likely earned their ranks through Juju spamming. My theory is the reason why the school might be 'bad' in PvP is due to the fact that it's the best solo school in game (at least in my opinion, with its draining spells you never really die in battle nor do you have to use up your potions), so I guess that's just a way to balance everything out.
This is true. Sadly, for our insane advantage in PvE we sacrifice next to all viability in PvP. I'm not begging for Death alone to get buffs but all schools. The spirit schools and Storm need some tweaks for PvP while most schools need some buffs for PvE. I want to see a fair balance, where every school can PvP reliably and every school can PvE close to th same level. I know this'll be tough to achieve but maybe some day they will find the right balance.