Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

PvP is unrealistic

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 25, 2011
16
After a one hour battle with a life wizard, which has spent real money to purchase gear; I was unable, as a non spending crown person for PvP purposes, able to defeat him in one versus one.

A life wizard that can cast a single heal spell that can return 80% of his life with just fairy or satyr is plain dumb which was combined with the PvP gear "Spell Card:Rebirth". On top of that the wizard stocked up on 4 shuffle and 4 mana burn treasure cards. The pet was also casting Fairy 60% of the time which made it even more annoying.

I can understand PvP but there is a point when there needs to be major limits. Spending 3 hours or more is not one of them, not even other video game Tournaments will allow the possibility of a stale mate.

Really a shame, by passing "May Cast" [Spell Card that Heals] from pets is a possible tactic. However I cannot by pass Crown Players nor do I see spending hundreds of thousands of gold on treasure cards just to PvP to earn ranks.

Here I thought, avoid making a PvP pet to give players a fair chance was worth something.

This is now one of those card games like "Magic the Gathering" where you need the money to get the cards or in this case with wizard101 real money and gold.

I do not play "buy to win" PvP on a virtual game. People that do purchases, will always be considered cheaters and unskilled. It also shows that game can never be balanced with this type of market.

Sorry King Isle but this has left such a bad after taste, I officially quit PvP. No tournaments, no Duels, no practices. Doesn't matter if you watching the duels carefully or not, add spectator mode for non-paying players, or such. If this was your best answer to revive PvP then no, you failed.

Mastermind
Mar 05, 2011
364
Toxen Reignz on Aug 13, 2013 wrote:
After a one hour battle with a life wizard, which has spent real money to purchase gear; I was unable, as a non spending crown person for PvP purposes, able to defeat him in one versus one.

A life wizard that can cast a single heal spell that can return 80% of his life with just fairy or satyr is plain dumb which was combined with the PvP gear "Spell Card:Rebirth". On top of that the wizard stocked up on 4 shuffle and 4 mana burn treasure cards. The pet was also casting Fairy 60% of the time which made it even more annoying.

I can understand PvP but there is a point when there needs to be major limits. Spending 3 hours or more is not one of them, not even other video game Tournaments will allow the possibility of a stale mate.

Really a shame, by passing "May Cast" [Spell Card that Heals] from pets is a possible tactic. However I cannot by pass Crown Players nor do I see spending hundreds of thousands of gold on treasure cards just to PvP to earn ranks.

Here I thought, avoid making a PvP pet to give players a fair chance was worth something.

This is now one of those card games like "Magic the Gathering" where you need the money to get the cards or in this case with wizard101 real money and gold.

I do not play "buy to win" PvP on a virtual game. People that do purchases, will always be considered cheaters and unskilled. It also shows that game can never be balanced with this type of market.

Sorry King Isle but this has left such a bad after taste, I officially quit PvP. No tournaments, no Duels, no practices. Doesn't matter if you watching the duels carefully or not, add spectator mode for non-paying players, or such. If this was your best answer to revive PvP then no, you failed.
I and many people disagree with you, I'm almost glad you quit PvP. Because many of us serious PvPers would have beat that jade/mega heal life without a second thought. It just takes more time, if you aren't willing to put in the time it takes to have win/enjoy PvP then you'd be better at PvE. I work for PvP, not all people use crowns to get their gear just so you know, I farmed for crowns gear, again, if you are willing to put in the time (and the smarts) you WILL have fun in PvP.

Wolf Skullslinger, Thaumaturge by Trade

Champion
Aug 20, 2010
403
Wolf Skullslinger on Aug 13, 2013 wrote:
I and many people disagree with you, I'm almost glad you quit PvP. Because many of us serious PvPers would have beat that jade/mega heal life without a second thought. It just takes more time, if you aren't willing to put in the time it takes to have win/enjoy PvP then you'd be better at PvE. I work for PvP, not all people use crowns to get their gear just so you know, I farmed for crowns gear, again, if you are willing to put in the time (and the smarts) you WILL have fun in PvP.

Wolf Skullslinger, Thaumaturge by Trade
I agree with this, lots of players beat jade gears without any crowns gear bought with "real money." Furthermore, what really gets me mad is when you talk about all the warlords having crowns gear and it is impossible to beat them or have fun with pvp when they are still around. False, false, and tru.. FALSE. Warlords have their badges not only because of their strategy but because of their gear, which they have spent countless hours farming. Also, you are implying that pvp has become the part of the game where people have to spend real money to have fun, not true. As I once heard someone say in the arena, pvp is for fun and friends. Do you hear winning with paid gear in there?

Survivor
Feb 02, 2010
16
I completey agree with you actually, pvp is now pay to win.. (and to wolf skullslinger) only reason you ever dont have to think with it is you have nearly comparable resist to health ratio. you have 700 more health, which i can say compensates for 10 resist? or something so your nearly equal with them. only thing is you dont have the major heals. people can say "everyone can just get it" well some people dont have the wealth to buy such things myself i am a serious pvper, i dont care about the long matches its just when they SHOULDENT be long matches, the only way to beat a jade gear is to one hit them *by that i mean if there life* and the really only way to do that is if your going first, if you go vs a jade gear going second its really just game over unless there not smart with it but the smarter warlord ones just spam weakness shields and such and when they take 100 damage they just heal..its lame and yes i know there is pierce but with the amount of weakness and shields they stack its just not enough, this is just my opinion though and sorry its just a long sentance but i dont have much time to even write this lol. but continuing on for the last part, if you just put up a doom and gloom the only way you can really work that out is if your going first, the only reason there such long matches is cause they have low level spams or such just to attack every once in a while to catch the apponent off guard which is smart if i must say. but in my opinion pvp is really the folowing:
Battle of the pets
Battle of who goes first
battle of whoever has more critical
battle of whoever has more resist
battle of who uses treasure cards higher than there level first.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
1359
Jade gears are easy. Obviously you aren't that good if you're having trouble with someone at 70% resist. I beat people with 90 to 105 fire resist as a fire without prisms, shouldn't be that tough. (try 105 fire resist... You'll hate it. I guarrantee you.)
You have all sorts of spells at your disposal. Shatter (TC), bladestacking, infallible, etc. Doom and gloom is amazing.

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
523
Wolf Skullslinger on Aug 13, 2013 wrote:
I and many people disagree with you, I'm almost glad you quit PvP. Because many of us serious PvPers would have beat that jade/mega heal life without a second thought. It just takes more time, if you aren't willing to put in the time it takes to have win/enjoy PvP then you'd be better at PvE. I work for PvP, not all people use crowns to get their gear just so you know, I farmed for crowns gear, again, if you are willing to put in the time (and the smarts) you WILL have fun in PvP.

Wolf Skullslinger, Thaumaturge by Trade
Wolf, you display arrogance and condescension in almost every post you make about PvP. We get it. You feel you are a superior PvP player. But it comes off in such a negative way you might want to reconsider your aggressive and not-so-thoughtful approach to your posts.

Survivor
Jul 30, 2011
48
Wolf Skullslinger on Aug 13, 2013 wrote:
I and many people disagree with you, I'm almost glad you quit PvP. Because many of us serious PvPers would have beat that jade/mega heal life without a second thought. It just takes more time, if you aren't willing to put in the time it takes to have win/enjoy PvP then you'd be better at PvE. I work for PvP, not all people use crowns to get their gear just so you know, I farmed for crowns gear, again, if you are willing to put in the time (and the smarts) you WILL have fun in PvP.

Wolf Skullslinger, Thaumaturge by Trade
I am a lvl 90 fire pvp veteran and people like you are the reason why I and many others believe warlords are rude and ices are arrogant people who will just hide behind their resist and why I will never be a warlord even though I could be.

Survivor
Jul 30, 2011
48
and for all of those who still think pvp isn't pay to win, you will not see a level 90 pvp commander/warlord without a crowns wand or a mastery amulet

Brandon Ironblade level 90 fire

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
1077
Right now, you will see lots of pay to win types in PvP. As things currently are, you can either accept that you will lose to people who pay money, or you can start buying special gear.

However, if you want to suggest a PvP mode where you can't wear Crowns gear, please suggest that in this thread:

https://www.wizard101.com/forum/the-dorms/pvp-modes-choose-your-type-of-duel-8ad6a415407c19770140888065047176

Defender
Jul 26, 2009
169
Lucas Rain on Sep 27, 2013 wrote:
Right now, you will see lots of pay to win types in PvP. As things currently are, you can either accept that you will lose to people who pay money, or you can start buying special gear.

However, if you want to suggest a PvP mode where you can't wear Crowns gear, please suggest that in this thread:

https://www.wizard101.com/forum/the-dorms/pvp-modes-choose-your-type-of-duel-8ad6a415407c19770140888065047176
I've seen plenty with the hades wand and gear. (No crowns) and the Mastery / Exalted amulets are dropped. PvP Is play to win, as in whoever put the most work into figuring out the game is going to win.

If you are having trouble with jades, then you are not using all the tools at hand. Infallible, and any pierce enchantment make light of their extreme resistance, and doom kills heals.

Many people have around 550 critical and block still doesn't work all the time at 350..... at this point, its not a huge deal as we have a way of not only piercing the resist with 0-105% pierce, but on top of that you have high critical chance.

Jade gear is possible to defeat and so are ice wizards. Many jades are immune to storm, Yet level 90 storm is the SECOND highest on the leader board. You could make an argument that they out damaged them, but i still see it as more of a strategy thing.

Jades counter balance the hardest, as we only have 2 ways of piercing and fully offensive gear isn't out meta. Even though jades counter us the most, we out play them with spell like doom and gloom and weakness to keep their attacks down and healing to the smallest possible. ~ Definition of meta game

"Metagaming is a broad term usually used to define any strategy, action or method used in a game which transcends a prescribed ruleset, uses external factors to affect the game...." ~ Definition of meta game

Those external factors would be your gear. If your still using waterworks gear, then you are not following the "meta" Of high damage pierce to counter this type of play style and you are likely not to succeed.

In Wizard101, there are both Offensive, Defensive, And Neutral Metas. Before the Aquila date the style can be described as slow tempo, Defensive, shut down play style that favors a jade gear build up with critical block and high heal boost.

Now, Ki has recognized that this very slow paced meta was taking hours and making pvp something that many of us couldn't budget time for, so they introduced a tempo changer. A set of gear that gives critical that cannot be blocked and unstoppable pierce to effectively change the meta to handle this play style.

All the new gear can be obtained freely and there is no crown option.

My conclusion here is, Depending if you are using an updated successful meta game then you will start to succeed against these types of enemies. This gear is available Via Level 70 and 90 Aquilan Dungeons worth around 10,000 crowns to purchase the dungeon or a subscription to get a hold of.

Eric Legendtamer Level 90
Eric Dragonbane level 76
Eric legendtamer Level 50
Eric Dragontamer level 30
Eric legendtamer level 10