Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

PVP is not unbalanced... mostly...

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 10, 2009
I've been reading over the BBS in PVP lately, and have noticed over half of the TOPICS are about which spell is unfair, or how they get beaten by such high level people. More than half of the REPLIES to any topic at all are complaining about the same thing!

I think all of these are completely irrelevent to the only issue I find with PVP. Where I personally think the only bit that needs adjusting is in the amount of pvp ranking points that is lost when you lose a battle that is greatly unbalanced.

This isn't a gripe about fighting high level players, hear me out.

Say I'm a level 20 commander (which I am) If I faced a level 25 private, and lost, I'd expect to lose a good chunk of my rankings, out of the fact that within a reasonable amoubnt of levels, I am bested by someone with a much lower score than me. I can reason why I'd lose 25+ points in that battle. On the flip side, I can also see why I'd only get 5- points for winning.

However, when a level 16 commander is pinned up against a level 46 private of ANY class... well, the odds of winning aren't impossible, but I'd say at best 1/3...

I completely understand that the higher the rank you are, the more challenging your battles become. I think that's a great way to grow as a pvper, and keep it interesting and challenging. But the fun and excitement of PVP is INSTANTLY stripped away when facing an impossible battle that you lose 28 points in. I cannot count the times that I've bounced from 820+ points back down to 780-, only from losing battles that are very difficult. It's very discouraging to feel completely trapped at my rank, and never get close enough to warlord status, even if I am a great PVPer.

Once again, this is NOT a complaint about facing higher level characters, or about losing a ton of ranking points when failing to win a battle. This is about the combination of the two together.

A suggested solution to this problem? Just an oppinion:

When facing battles against opponents of equal or lesser levels than you (Assuming you're a higher rank than them):
5 for wins, -20 for losses

Facing people your level to +8 levels or so, and within a rank or two of you:
10 for wins, -10 for losses

Facing opponents 10+ levels higher than you, with a lower ranking:

Facing opponents 10+ levels higher than you, with an equal, or higher ranking:
15 for wins, -5 for losses

I know that KI has to be very busy, working on correcting the PVP, as almost every post in here is about how "unbalanced" pvp is. I think it's just fine the way it is, other than the pvp points system.

The current system seems very one sided to the people who got all of their PVP gear before the reset, where you lose so many points when losing a battle.

For instance... I have 44 MORE wins than Losses... That is a HUGE accomplishment, yet I'm only at 780 arena points. Even if I got to 50 more wins than losses... if I lose one more battle on the road, I will be RIGHT back where I started.

I thank you for your time in reading this, and hope to see you in the arena!

Regards,
Ravenfell.

Defender
Mar 08, 2009
Ravenfell wrote:
I've been reading over the BBS in PVP lately, and have noticed over half of the TOPICS are about which spell is unfair, or how they get beaten by such high level people. More than half of the REPLIES to any topic at all are complaining about the same thing!

I think all of these are completely irrelevent to the only issue I find with PVP. Where I personally think the only bit that needs adjusting is in the amount of pvp ranking points that is lost when you lose a battle that that is greatly unbalanced.

This isn't a gripe about fighting high level players, hear me out.

Say I'm a level 20 commander (which I am) If I faced a level 25 private, and lost, I'd expect to lose a good chunk of my rankings, out of the fact that within a reasonable amoubnt of levels, I am bested by someone with a much lower score than me. I can reason why I'd lose 25+ points in that battle. On the flip side, I can also see why I'd only get 5- points for winning.

However, when a level 16 commander is pinned up against a level 46 private of ANY class... well, the odds of winning aren't impossible, but I'd say at best 1/3...

I completely understand that the higher the rank you are, the more challenging your battles become. I think that's a great way to grow as a pvper, and keep it interesting and challenging. But the fun and excitement of PVP is INSTANTLY stripped away when facing an impossible battle that you lose 28 points in. I cannot count the times that I've bounced from 820+ points back down to 780-, only from losing battles that are very difficult. It's very discouraging to feel completely trapped at my rank, and never get close enough to warlord status, even if I am a great PVPer.

Once again, this is NOT a complaint about facing higher level characters, or about losing a ton of ranking points when failing to win a battle. This is about the combination of the two together.

A suggested solution to this problem? Just an oppinion:

When facing battles against opponents of equal or lesser levels than you (Assuming you're a higher rank than them):
5 for wins, -20 for losses

Facing people your level to +8 levels or so, and within a rank or two of you:

Facing opponents 10+ levels higher than you, with a lower ranking:

Facing opponents 10+ levels higher than you, with an equal, or higher ranking:
15 for wins, -5 for losses

I know that KI has to be very busy, working on correcting the PVP, as almost every post in here is about how "unbalanced" pvp is. I think it's just fine the way it is, other than the pvp points system.

The current system seems very one sided to the people who got all of their PVP gear before the reset, where you lose so many points when losing a battle.

For instance... I have 44 MORE wins than Losses... That is a HUGE accomplishment, yet I'm only at 780 arena points. Even if I got to 50 more wins than losses... if I lose one more battle on the road, I will be RIGHT back where I started.

I thank you for your time in reading this, and hope to see you in the arena!

Regards,
Ravenfell.

Lol no offense but when you said " Its not a gripe about getting put with higher levels OR losing more rank its about BOTH combined!" and i thought ( Lol even worse! ),but anyway yeah this has happened to my balance guy tons of times ( Level 30 warlord ), But it happens EVERY time now getting put with grandmaster privates. I still win and after all that battling i get 1 point ( i am thinking sarcastically Hooray =[ ). So anyway i agree and btw i love your idea its AWESOME. KI you should put RavenFell's system in pvp!

Joseph Liferider Grandmaster Theurgist
Joseph Sandrider Level 30 Balance
Joseph Nightrider Level 27 Death
Matthew Starblood Level 20 Storm

Survivor
Jul 10, 2009
Proman1355 wrote:

Lol no offense but when you said " Its not a gripe about getting put with higher levels OR losing more rank its about BOTH combined!" and i thought ( Lol even worse! ),but anyway yeah this has happened to my balance guy tons of times ( Level 30 warlord ), But it happens EVERY time now getting put with grandmaster privates. I still win and after all that battling i get 1 point ( i am thinking sarcastically Hooray =[ ). So anyway i agree and btw i love your idea its AWESOME. KI you should put RavenFell's system in pvp!

Joseph Liferider Grandmaster Theurgist
Joseph Sandrider Level 30 Balance
Joseph Nightrider Level 27 Death
Matthew Starblood Level 20 Storm

It's not that I'm complaining about both at the same time, either. The ONLY thing I'm complaining about is the occurance when you lose 20+ arena points to someone 10+ levels higher than you. I love fightning more challenging battles, and accept defeat when the best me. I just don't feel like they've earned up to 35 points of mine, for beating someone who is level 20 when they are a grand master.

That's like getting a malistare's robe off of the harvest lord, just because you're level 50. Even though you earned nothing.

Regards,
Ravenfell

Survivor
Feb 07, 2009

Ravenfell wrote:
It's not that I'm complaining about both at the same time, either. The ONLY thing I'm complaining about is the occurance when you lose 20+ arena points to someone 10+ levels higher than you. I love fightning more challenging battles, and accept defeat when the best me. I just don't feel like they've earned up to 35 points of mine, for beating someone who is level 20 when they are a grand master.

That's like getting a malistare's robe off of the harvest lord, just because you're level 50. Even though you earned nothing.

Regards,
Ravenfell

I agree with you 100%. :D