Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Limit pet cast chance by level?

AuthorMessage
Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4118
PvP King on Jun 14, 2014 wrote:
What does tic tac toe have to do with Wizard101? In that game, you can counter your opponent's moves. If you're second, you keep countering your opponent until you have a window of opportunity. This is how Wizard101 should be like, and it's much like how many games and sports are. In a soccer game, if you're losing 5-1 and have 5 minutes left in the game (in Wizard101 that's when your health is low and you have no way of countering back because you got overpowered by the other wizard), you don't just say "Hey, let's stop the game and have a shootout" (in Wizard101, that would be a pet healing multiple times and saving the wizard's life), giving the losing team a major opportunity to win. If you get overpowered by your opponent, face it, you lost, a pet heal shouldn't spam you back to full health and make you win.

Yes, the point of the game is to have fun, but I can't have fun if everything I use will be countered by a pet heal. Try playing a soccer game where all your goals don't count, see how fun that is. If you used your time and effort to take down your opponent's health, your opponent should be the only one being able to recover it fully, not the pet.
You cannot win in Tic-Tac-Toe unless you are playing against a small child, I think you totally missed that point.
If you want the game to be like Tic-Tac-Toe, you're even more crazy than I thought.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
1557
FinnAgainWindrider on Jun 15, 2014 wrote:
No. That is exactly what the game should not be like. In Tic-tac-toe, you can indeed counter every move. So the game winds up in draw every time once people understand how to play it. Once you are past the age of about six or seven, it is an utterly boring game.

And if everything you do in PVP can be countered by a pet heal, then you don't know how to play very well. If you can't overpower someone past the help of their pets, you have not won. Period. Winning in PVP is winning against the entire array of the opponents resources and strategy -- including their pets! If you can't do that, you are not a winner, much less a "PVP king". Period.
Okay, if I don't know how to PvP, explain my PvP record. Explain my rank. Explain how strategic I am in PvP matches. Go ahead and entertain me and tell me I don't know how to play very well, because believe it or not, I do. I play insanely well in PvP, if it comes to a 1v1 whether I'm first or second, I'll have cornered my terribly and have knocked him out of the match. I play my cards perfectly and at the right time, none of my friends denied it. Every PvP match I do, I get lots of people watching me because they like to see somebody good play. Problem is, what ruins an amazing strategy is amazing luck. My opponent can be casting 2+ spells per turn because of their pet. Do you think I can cast 2+ Infections per turn? Pets are not a part of your strategy, they are a part of your gear. So, if a pet is part of your strategy, is having a hat, robe, boots, athame, ring, amulet, wand, deck strategy? No, it's simply equipping the item. Place the people with may cast talents in a PvP match with stats talents, see how well they do then. Like I said, I'm fine with pets healing once in a while, it's a talent that you worked for, but having a pet go "spam happy" just isn't right. If you have to wait more than 30 seconds for a pet to finish what it's doing, then that's not right.

And yes, PvP should be like tic tac toe, or at least similar, like how it was when Dragonspyre was out. There was literally a counter to everything, you had to rely on skill alone and finding a good enough combo to defeat your opponent. Matches still ended, but they were a lot more intense. For an attack, there was a shield or a heal. For a heal, there was an Infection, and so on. You would have matches that literally have the duelists hanging at their heels with around 100 health left. Now, if a pet heals, it removes the Infection/dispel, it adds health back, it costs zero pips, it leads the opponent to only focusing on taking down your health, and PvP isn't fun anymore. It's like playing a game of Monopoly, you have to manage your manage and hope you roll the right number. At first, yes, it is fun, but later on you get sick of it. If the other player buys hotels and all that because you landed on their place enough to give them money, or if you keep going to jail and having to pay, the game gets boring fast. Exactly like PvP right now.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
1557
seethe42 on Jun 15, 2014 wrote:
You cannot win in Tic-Tac-Toe unless you are playing against a small child, I think you totally missed that point.
If you want the game to be like Tic-Tac-Toe, you're even more crazy than I thought.
I never said it should be exactly like tic tac toe, obviously not, and if you think that's what I meant then your argument is a desperate joke. So, you want the game to be Monopoly? Hoping you roll the right number? It's fun at first, but after a while you get bored of the whole luck factor and want to do something else. The dice controls the game, and for PvP, the mechanics control it. The only thing you can do in Monopoly is manage your money and socialize, which is basically what PvP has, using the right cards and making friends. However, like I said, you get sick of the luck after a while. MC Healing Current and all those other talents are like landing on a hotel and losing the money you just made from passing 'Go', especially in lower levels of PvP. You're even possibly giving the other player more money than you got, which is like using an attack that costs pips and getting it healed more than you did damage with and losing your pips. In other words, you wasted your time, cards, pips, and everything. Your opponent (at low level PvP) gains a whole advantage because of the pet, and you have very limited cards.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
717
PvP King on Jun 17, 2014 wrote:
Okay, if I don't know how to PvP, explain my PvP record. Explain my rank. Explain how strategic I am in PvP matches. Go ahead and entertain me and tell me I don't know how to play very well, because believe it or not, I do. I play insanely well in PvP, if it comes to a 1v1 whether I'm first or second, I'll have cornered my terribly and have knocked him out of the match. I play my cards perfectly and at the right time, none of my friends denied it. Every PvP match I do, I get lots of people watching me because they like to see somebody good play. Problem is, what ruins an amazing strategy is amazing luck. My opponent can be casting 2+ spells per turn because of their pet. Do you think I can cast 2+ Infections per turn? Pets are not a part of your strategy, they are a part of your gear. So, if a pet is part of your strategy, is having a hat, robe, boots, athame, ring, amulet, wand, deck strategy? No, it's simply equipping the item. Place the people with may cast talents in a PvP match with stats talents, see how well they do then. Like I said, I'm fine with pets healing once in a while, it's a talent that you worked for, but having a pet go "spam happy" just isn't right. If you have to wait more than 30 seconds for a pet to finish what it's doing, then that's not right.

And yes, PvP should be like tic tac toe, or at least similar, like how it was when Dragonspyre was out. There was literally a counter to everything, you had to rely on skill alone and finding a good enough combo to defeat your opponent. Matches still ended, but they were a lot more intense. For an attack, there was a shield or a heal. For a heal, there was an Infection, and so on. You would have matches that literally have the duelists hanging at their heels with around 100 health left. Now, if a pet heals, it removes the Infection/dispel, it adds health back, it costs zero pips, it leads the opponent to only focusing on taking down your health, and PvP isn't fun anymore. It's like playing a game of Monopoly, you have to manage your manage and hope you roll the right number. At first, yes, it is fun, but later on you get sick of it. If the other player buys hotels and all that because you landed on their place enough to give them money, or if you keep going to jail and having to pay, the game gets boring fast. Exactly like PvP right now.
Whether you want to admit it or not, your entire equipment is part of your strategy. Try going into the arena with no armor, no wand, no ring or athame, and no pet, and see how well you do, with nothing but your precision spell casting technique.

As for you saying you are so good at PVP and have such a great record, while that may be the case, your arguments here and in the other string suggest just the opposite -- they suggest that you are utterly destroyed by the presence of healing pets. That is what you are saying, not me.

And if you really do want PVP to be like Tic Tac Toe, I'm pretty sure you are all alone in that desire. I gave up tic tac toe years ago, except for playing with very young children. That much predictability is a total waste of time. Moreover, this game is not that kind of game. This game is a family oriented, casual gaming mix of light strategy, luck, and storytelling. That mix is what makes Wizard101 special.

But, even though you say that, I don't believe you really mean it. Rather, it seems to me -- as many others have already said -- that you just want to make it easy for you to win in the way you want to win, and you don't want to have to deal with anything that differs from your own style of play.

That said, this discussion is obviously going no where (not unlike tic tac toe), and I don't think it is worth any more of my own time and energy.

I think I will just get back to enjoying the game, and perhaps train some more heals into my pets' gene pools -- which heals, I most sincerely hope, will be left just as they are!

Happy Wizarding everyone, and may your pets heal with great gusto and enthusiasm!

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
1557
FinnAgainWindrider on Jun 17, 2014 wrote:
Whether you want to admit it or not, your entire equipment is part of your strategy. Try going into the arena with no armor, no wand, no ring or athame, and no pet, and see how well you do, with nothing but your precision spell casting technique.

As for you saying you are so good at PVP and have such a great record, while that may be the case, your arguments here and in the other string suggest just the opposite -- they suggest that you are utterly destroyed by the presence of healing pets. That is what you are saying, not me.

And if you really do want PVP to be like Tic Tac Toe, I'm pretty sure you are all alone in that desire. I gave up tic tac toe years ago, except for playing with very young children. That much predictability is a total waste of time. Moreover, this game is not that kind of game. This game is a family oriented, casual gaming mix of light strategy, luck, and storytelling. That mix is what makes Wizard101 special.

But, even though you say that, I don't believe you really mean it. Rather, it seems to me -- as many others have already said -- that you just want to make it easy for you to win in the way you want to win, and you don't want to have to deal with anything that differs from your own style of play.

That said, this discussion is obviously going no where (not unlike tic tac toe), and I don't think it is worth any more of my own time and energy.

I think I will just get back to enjoying the game, and perhaps train some more heals into my pets' gene pools -- which heals, I most sincerely hope, will be left just as they are!

Happy Wizarding everyone, and may your pets heal with great gusto and enthusiasm!
I did do PvP before without gear, and I'm quite good at it. However, gear isn't part of your strategy, it just adds up your stats, in other words, it reinforces your strategy.

Wizard101 was already "like tic tac toe" before Celestia, we call that the 'Golden Age'. Why? Because no matter how much your opponent could predict your next move, it was all a matter if they could do anything about it or not. Just because you know what's coming doesn't mean you're ready for it, which is what made Wizard101 one of the best online dueling games I've played, until pets started going overboard and overtaking strategies.

I already do deal with things that differ from my style of play, Wild Bolt spamming, Jade wizards, massive critical spammers, OHKO'ers, every strategy that I've ever played against, I've dealt with. Haven't complained about one (except the Jade + Bad Juju + Cloak spamming strategy, that one is literally undefeatable if you're not some PvP mastermind). What do all those have in common though? Oh right, they're controllable. Pets heals aren't. You could tell me to put up dispels, but who knows if the pet isn't going to shake them all off in one turn. I could put Infections, but nobody knows if the pet will take it off or not. Not even the wizard with the talent. Now, answer this, is that more to you like a game or more like a lottery roll?

Okay, if you're not going to reply anymore, that's fine, but my point will stay as is: Pet heals are getting out of hand. KingsIsle needs to do something about it, because us wizards can't.