Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Ban the use of saying Noob in arena.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 28, 2009
I am new to the game and decided to do an arena match the other day. I am familiar with the "arena" concept. I am a long time gamer and have plenty of experience in PVP types of games. I get into my first arena match and start to get bombarded with "Noob this and Noob that". I told the kid this was my very first match in this game (I did not expect him to care). He continues with all the Noob stuff. Please ban the use of this word and all variants of it. Thank you.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2009
i agree, i come from games like runescape and you should see how many 10 year olds go around spamming the word noob. they go up to a level 100 and say "noob". they should censor the word noob its stupid and not needed. it only makes people mad and annoyed because some moron decides to make a grandmaster annoyed by calling them a noob when they are the best.

Survivor
Apr 22, 2009
Otys wrote:
i agree, i come from games like runescape and you should see how many 10 year olds go around spamming the word noob. they go up to a level 100 and say "noob". they should censor the word noob its stupid and not needed. it only makes people mad and annoyed because some moron decides to make a grandmaster annoyed by calling them a noob when they are the best.

I agree. I was in a match the other day with a a lvl 20 and i am a lvl 43 and the first thing they said was YOUR A NOOB! And i even told them my lvl then i ended up killing him but it is so annoying when people refuse to stop calling you a noob even when you are like 20 lvls ahead.

Justin ThunderSword lvl 43 Master Pyromancer

Survivor
Nov 26, 2008
Well the word "noob" means "new player." People don't really understand the meaning of it. It means when its your first time in doing something. People usually call other people noobs because they might be a low level. But I don't anybody those names. Its pretty hopeless of me typing that. Anyways, just put them in ignore if you don't like when saying is calling you a noob.

Defender
Mar 09, 2009
Survivor
Apr 22, 2009

But its just wrong and rude to go up to someone who obviesly isnt a noob and calling them a noob there is no reason for that word its just rude.

Justin ThunderSword lvl 43 Master Pyromancer

Survivor
Jun 14, 2009
GoodWill wrote:
Well the word "noob" means "new player." People don't really understand the meaning of it. It means when its your first time in doing something. People usually call other people noobs because they might be a low level. But I don't anybody those names. Its pretty hopeless of me typing that. Anyways, just put them in ignore if you don't like when saying is calling you a noob.

I'm sorry, but I beg to differ: a new player would be a "newb".

A "noob" is someone who is ignorant to the game and its dynamics and it is actually used to insult someone.
I recon it is pretty obvious that noob must have been derived from newb (which comes from "newbie"), but strictly speaking, noob is basically an insult, while newb is merely stating that someone is new to the game and still has to learn everything.

Granted, I think that these days both words merged into "noob" and now it is used instead of both noob and newb.

I personally think that both words in themselves show a lack of development on behalf of the one who uses the word. Therefore I also see it as someone insulting his own intelligence by using the word in the first place. I usually ask them if they just learned a new word in the school square, or something along those lines. That usually keeps them quiet.
Mostly I just ignore it and consider it ignorance of the one who uses the word and pity them.

Sadly these days lots of words from the early days of computers are being used to refer to something completely different. Take the word "hacker" of which even Wikipedia has a wrong definition listed. Just because the kids of these days do not know or don't understand the origin of these words. Hence now those are used in the wrong ways. Eventually the meaning of the word is officially changed, and that is how language changes. :P

Anyway, I'm sidetracking. I'm all for filtering the word noob out. Just wanted to correct something which I feel was incomplete. No hard feelings though.

Survivor
Jan 15, 2009
I think we could do without this word and not affect the experience of the game. It was very annoying to do to have to explain what a noob was to my 10 y/o. Being called noob once I can brush off, but to be called noob six times in a single match that I won is ridiculous. I could put the person on ignore, but why should I have to. I pay for Wizard 101 for my family to enjoy themselves, and this afternoon was not it.

Defender
May 08, 2009
Even though the word it self is harmless, i am tired of people calling other people noob.(They do not do that to me, i am a magus.)They say over and over and over.You do not know how many snoby grandmasters there are. I just say, for the sake of a lot of wizards just ban the word already.

Explorer
May 09, 2009
DPVSaint wrote:
I agree. Either that or only allow Quick Chat in PvP.

Ooh that would be horrible. Then we couldn't say please don't heal to Life if we are a different school.

Explorer
Mar 08, 2009
Otys wrote:
mabe more then just noob i have baan called way way more then the like (you weakling as) (low life)(sofa king slow mind )and on and on i am sure the do there best to make it as friendly as can be noob is not so bad and when you are a low lvl come on you are a noob i have a low lvl myth and i and i noob when i am on him :D scot deathhammer granmaster-fire-balance-master-storm-noob-myth :D

Survivor
Aug 09, 2008
"noob"/"newb"/etc. doesn't really have a good meaning and it would be nice to just take it out of the dictionary that w101 uses to filter words. pvp'ers use this word a lot and it offends people too.

Explorer
Jun 11, 2009
GoodWill wrote:

Lol, if only people actually meant "new player" when they call you a noob. I come from a serious set of PvP based games and I'm use to the word so I'm not insulted at all, but that's me. If it's a serious game (LOL) on wizard101 and they start trash talking then I call them noobs after I win.

But if other people are getting annoyed/irritated and upset about it then put it on the chat filter so their kids don't have to deal with it and us older people can cope with the stupidity of spammers and immature kids.

I had a match full of warlords and grandmasters in a 4v4 and my team had them on lock and won and they constantly said noobs and other stuff I need not mentioning :P. Unfortunately, it's the competitive spirit.

I don't think it should be banned, just on a filter for the younger kids seeing as this is also a game for them, I like to think more so than for adults :D.

Survivor
Jun 23, 2009
kivech wrote:

A "noob" is someone who is ignorant to the game and its dynamics and it is actually used to insult someone.

Very true- you are correct on the appropriate slang usage. I can not fathom why they haven't filtered this out...there is simply no need for anyone to communicate something like this.

Survivor
Mar 15, 2009
Tourne wrote:
kivech wrote:

Very true- you are correct on the appropriate slang usage. I can not fathom why they haven't filtered this out...there is simply no need for anyone to communicate something like this.

noob/newb/nub etc etc all mean the pretty much the same thing... although a noob newb or nub would mean that same thing that the first guy i quoted said although if the adults are getting offended on this... well there is menu chat or the ignore list

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2009
if kings isle is gonna do this, only noob and nub should be censored.

newb is ok as it really means new player, hence the NEW inside the word

Survivor
Jul 22, 2008
You guys make me nervous of getting into the higher levels/ranks.

I'm only level 9 right now, and have a 640 ranking, but so far i've yet to PvP against anyone who wasn't polite.

No trash talking whatsoever so far....It saddens me how that will change.

Survivor
Jul 20, 2009
GoodWill wrote:

The word noob does mean new player i agree what GoodWill is saying people just need to understand that because they cant play well like anyone else.