Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Arena Matching

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Feb 06, 2010
thx sooooooooooooooo much! i've been wondering why i end up paired with people randomly. cuz usually i'm worried if i'm gonna be paired up with a grand or something. :)

Survivor
May 13, 2010
I have some reservations about this system.

So when queuing ranked arena during slow hours, someone is bound to get the short end of the stick.

I would much rather a 'no match' found message than having the odds stacked tenfold against me.

Yesterday i was on my myth wiz(lvl 10) and got paired with a lvl 48 wizard.. who was built to the teethe for pvp.

Survivor
Apr 12, 2010
Yeah i understood the lvl and the rank plus together and then match up but the period of your waiting time is intersting
I knew because i am a magus warlord and now aday i meet with grandmaster captain etc.

Explorer
Mar 15, 2009
They need to fix this problem. It has been going on for a long time and just an hour ago, I had to fight 4v4 ALL grandmaster warlords. My team wasn't even past lvl 7 (and I wasn't either) and privates. So how does that happen? How can the match-making system do that? That wasn't the only time I had to fight grand warlords. This is my 13th time losing like that

Survivor
Jun 01, 2010
I agree. The matching system can be unfair sometimes. Not only do they sometimes match you against people you likely have no chance against level wise but also the chances of you actually winning a battle when your health is 700 and the person you are fighting's health is 2,000 is slim to nothing. Something needs to be done. Every time i battle pvp i get matched with some one whose health far exceeds mine. They pass for 4 turns and then wipe me out in one shot with a high level treasure or normal spell. It is hardly fair and I have yet to earn any rank points because of this.

Defender
Jul 18, 2009
Can anyone at King's Isle please address what exactly was changed with the matching system?

I notice extremely long waits and I have tested the system and know it is not working as described.

Survivor
Feb 22, 2009
not sure if this has been looked into but i got into a ranked arena match expecting a fair fight but for some odd reason the fight never loaded and i lost rank. I'm not too upset considering i could earn it back but it would be nice to get a chance to fight and not just lose rank without fighting the other person.

Keller Rosestaff lvl 50 pyromancer

Survivor
Jun 21, 2010
twinkygurl wrote:
I agree. The matching system can be unfair sometimes. Not only do they sometimes match you against people you likely have no chance against level wise but also the chances of you actually winning a battle when your health is 700 and the person you are fighting's health is 2,000 is slim to nothing. Something needs to be done. Every time i battle pvp i get matched with some one whose health far exceeds mine. They pass for 4 turns and then wipe me out in one shot with a high level treasure or normal spell. It is hardly fair and I have yet to earn any rank points because of this.

I agree, and to make matters worse, you get into duels with these higher level wizards and they simply delight in being cruel by words to add insult to injury.

For example, just today I "quick joined" a 1 vs. 1 match and KI's magical matchmaking system paired me up with a level thirty-something wizard (I'm simply a level 15 Sorcerer at this point). Now usually, this is the part where I state that he wiped the floor with me in about three moves...but I'm good at PvP for what its worth and it took him about 5 minutes to finally start making the battle not bode well for me (I was strategic with my healing and my shields, thank you Balance and Life).

But anyways, the guy was a...meanie...to use a weak insult in place of a much more deserving insult which I won't state here. Mostly he was delighting in pretending that he had true skill, even though he was levels upon levels higher than me. In addition, he brought in a few of his cronies to stand on the arena sides to cheer him on and insult me during the battle, acting as if I was the thirty-something, and he was the weak one. One of his friends said on quote, "i like killing low levels, its fun to watch them squeal."

I know its been said a dozen times, but as a paying customer I have the right to say it again: this ranked PvP system needs fixing, asap. We need a better matchmaking system, for all of the reasons that annoyed people like me have been stating for a long time.

Something isn't right when a level 15 whatever gets paired up with a level 42 whatever, and even though we've been told that the system tries to pair you up with someone close to your level and rank, I'll be one to say it here: we need a more robust system.

As for me: I'm staying away from ranked PvP with 6 wins and 4 loses.
I'm happy with that.

Defender
Nov 19, 2008
Gamma wrote:

The Ranked Player vs Player (PvP) matching system in Wizard101 is based on two very important factors: the Level of your Wizard character and the current PvP Rank of your Wizard character. The Level of your character is more important than the Rank, but your Rank is still a significant determining factor.

When you join a Ranked match, the system takes your information and tries to pair it up as closely as possible with other players who are currently waiting to compete. If no comparable players are waiting to compete, the system will widen the search. The longer you wait, the wider the search, and the bigger the difference between yourself and your opponent.

For matches of 2v2 or higher, the system will average out the determining factors for all the participants and attempt to match up players to the best teams and opponents that are available. The more players who are online and participating in the Player vs Player feature, the more closely the teams will be matched. When there are fewer players participating in the Player vs Player feature, the team members will be more varied and the differences between opponents will be larger.

I am always parred up against the hardest people who are warlord and i am a privet! i cant go up only down can kingslie give me easier people to fight so i might win one match? or could you give my caracter some points for being set against the hardest of all the people? please :( i'm not very happy and might abandon pvp all together i dont want this to happen but when i go to the i want to be able to think i might have a chance at wining.

Defender
Feb 15, 2010
Maybe you can switch Ranked matching with Practice matching?As it always seems i am paired up with GM's,Instead of adepts,which would be my Level.

Blaze Skyfist Lvl.26
Brandon Skyfist Lvl.13

Explorer
Jun 19, 2009
Gamma, this is not right. I just did a match ( Level 27 rank 515 vs Level 28 rank 550 ), and it says that level and rank are most important huh, WELL I wasn't first! I'm a lower rank, lower level, therefore I should've gone first, but no, 2nd. This Arena Matching isn't any good! It isn't fair either. :-o :x

A [ not ] happy customer,
Timothy Lifecaster 27 life :-o

Survivor
Jun 04, 2009
Malhavoc wrote:
I have a major issue with the rank system.

The last two duels I had were against level 40 pyromancer who was a corporal, and a level 38 pyromancer who was a sergeant.

My character is a level 28 necromancer captain.

In the duel against the level 40 pyromancer I won, and gained 6 points of rank.

In the duel against the level 38 I lost and lost 25 points of rank.

How in the world is this system fair when dueling opponents 10-12 or more levels higher for little or no gain, yet losing costs more than four times the gain from a single duel.

In both instances the duel was matched in less than ten seconds, so it would seem the system thought they were very evenly matched.

At this point I am stopping dueling because to make up for a single loss I need to win 80% of the duels. It seems unreasonable to expect to win at that rate against higher level opponents.
your right

Survivor
Jul 13, 2009
kryon256 wrote:
twinkygurl wrote:

I agree, and to make matters worse, you get into duels with these higher level wizards and they simply delight in being cruel by words to add insult to injury.

For example, just today I "quick joined" a 1 vs. 1 match and KI's magical matchmaking system paired me up with a level thirty-something wizard (I'm simply a level 15 Sorcerer at this point). Now usually, this is the part where I state that he wiped the floor with me in about three moves...but I'm good at PvP for what its worth and it took him about 5 minutes to finally start making the battle not bode well for me (I was strategic with my healing and my shields, thank you Balance and Life).

But anyways, the guy was a...meanie...to use a weak insult in place of a much more deserving insult which I won't state here. Mostly he was delighting in pretending that he had true skill, even though he was levels upon levels higher than me. In addition, he brought in a few of his cronies to stand on the arena sides to cheer him on and insult me during the battle, acting as if I was the thirty-something, and he was the weak one. One of his friends said on quote, "i like killing low levels, its fun to watch them squeal."

I know its been said a dozen times, but as a paying customer I have the right to say it again: this ranked PvP system needs fixing, asap. We need a better matchmaking system, for all of the reasons that annoyed people like me have been stating for a long time.

Something isn't right when a level 15 whatever gets paired up with a level 42 whatever, and even though we've been told that the system tries to pair you up with someone close to your level and rank, I'll be one to say it here: we need a more robust system.

As for me: I'm staying away from ranked PvP with 6 wins and 4 loses.
I'm happy with that.

Amen brother. I couldn't have said it any better.

~~Brian, level 50 Ice wizard

Explorer
Apr 27, 2009
well wen iwas lvl 20 i got set up with sumone hoo had a spell that did over 1000 damage explainthat

Survivor
Jun 05, 2009
Survivor
Jul 27, 2009
I would much rather see a pop up telling me that no match can be found at this time, than to put my lvl 30 against a grand with very little to gain from a win. I dont see the relevence in a persons rank when matching with another, this should be done by level only. If rank has to be a factor there should be a cap on the distance between levels in you and your challenger. Such as 5 or 6 levels higher. Anything more than that can be too big of a winning factor weighing heavily on one side of the scale. This is seen a lot if you are around a level 30 and face lvl 42 and higher , which obviously have the more powerful spells. I understand that fighting someone with full gear at your own level may be hard but its nothing compared to having gear and fighting someone 25 levels higher. Just because i have a good rank doesnt mean i need to spend an hour trying to kill a grand ice, ya know?

Explorer
Nov 12, 2009
Any idea why I'm paired up with grandmasters when my team are only masters. I always go last now and whenever i go first they just bolt and judge me to death and earthquake my balance character so boom there goes his shields. (took five minutes once to remove all the traps and shields.)
My ranking is going downhill slowly because I'm put to fight against people who just kill me. I have an old file that I have gotten going again, so I've had plenty of time to develop a strategy.
This isnt fair too because they all use treasures and a level ten warlord used triton and smited my old character account to smoldering ashes. (I lost a lot of points....)

Survivor
Jul 27, 2009
I am so sick of your so called matching system, that i may cancel my payments forever. I just got out of the arena fighting ALL grand, not just one or two. I just cant justify the wins vs losses when it comes to points. 4 points for a win against a grand? 25 lost points if i lose to a grand?
I am only a level 30. Maybe if more people threatened to take money away from you guys, you might do something. This is rediculous. There are many ways to fix this. I am sure others would agree that the only thing cared about here is money. The longer a person takes to get gear that means the longer they pay to do it. Hence more money in your pocket. Its time to give back to the players!
FIX THE ARENA MATCHING! DO IT BY LEVEL ONLY, NOT RANK.

Survivor
Jun 29, 2010
MILANUP1 wrote:
Gamma, this is not right. I just did a match ( Level 27 rank 515 vs Level 28 rank 550 ), and it says that level and rank are most important huh, WELL I wasn't first! I'm a lower rank, lower level, therefore I should've gone first, but no, 2nd. This Arena Matching isn't any good! It isn't fair either. :-o :x

A [ not ] happy customer,
Timothy Lifecaster 27 life :-o

Really? It is a fifty fifty chance that has nothing to do with who you are.

Survivor
Sep 19, 2009
killbox wrote:
I am so sick of your so called matching system, that i may cancel my payments forever. I just got out of the arena fighting ALL grand, not just one or two. I just cant justify the wins vs losses when it comes to points. 4 points for a win against a grand? 25 lost points if i lose to a grand?
I am only a level 30. Maybe if more people threatened to take money away from you guys, you might do something. This is rediculous. There are many ways to fix this. I am sure others would agree that the only thing cared about here is money. The longer a person takes to get gear that means the longer they pay to do it. Hence more money in your pocket. Its time to give back to the players!
FIX THE ARENA MATCHING! DO IT BY LEVEL ONLY, NOT RANK.

i agree this is ridiculous my death is level 28 rank 850 i fought a grand fire with a rank of 223 and i got 0 points for winning thats right I GOT ZERO POINTS FOR A 15 MINUTE MATCH!!!!!! fix it soon it needs to be fixed and do it right this time.

Delver
Jun 30, 2009
In PVP. I have some "FEW" suggestions. First of all. It should be in the SAME rank. Not Private vs. Veteran.

And,, this I am completly mad about. I was recently fighting a Death wizard and I had a hex on him, and he took all my hex's off.

Survivor
Aug 07, 2010
Gamma wrote:

The Ranked Player vs Player (PvP) matching system in Wizard101 is based on two very important factors: the Level of your Wizard character and the current PvP Rank of your Wizard character. The Level of your character is more important than the Rank, but your Rank is still a significant determining factor.

Then why is it that whenever i end up doing a ranked battle i end up Versing a level 50 storm wizard can you please explain that to me?

Wolf Emerald, Smogger Smasher
Level 33, Necromancer

Survivor
Jun 05, 2009
Survivor
Jun 04, 2009
Why is it every time i pvp with my lvl 18 wizard i never get my levels fighting me and every time i win i only get 7 rank EVERY TIME but every time i loose i loose over 20 and this exact things plz make an adjustment. :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Survivor
Apr 20, 2009
What i feel they should do is the following. Have bracket levels to join pvp.

level 10-20
level 20-30
level 30-40
level 40-50
level 10-25
level 25-50
level 10-50

You can also add the choice of rank you wish to go against basicaly same way as above, ranks near you or otherwise.

This gives the player there choice of how much rank points they wish to risk/earn.

The reason i feel it HAS to be this way is for the following.
1: People are purposly staying at a mid level so there risk in winning/loosing pvp patches is not that great and as long as they win 2 out of 3 matches there rank grows. Where as a Grand winning 2 out of 3 matches is likely to loose rank.

2 It is NOT fair for a higher level to have to work 3x harder just to get a higher rank. Grands and Masters EARNED there level, they worked hard for it, they should not have to work 3x harder in pvp just because they worked 3x harder at leveling. It isnt right.

I said it. I Feel if wizard101 realy cares about making there game better then this is a huge spot that needs major improvement. There should be no problem making a quick match links in several areas. I think that making matches in Rank should continue to be imposible.

There... I made my case Crystal Clear for KI. Personally I feel this post should be put up for vote in a new topic. Let the people vote then KI should follow through with it.