Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

all PVP warlords, accept your loss please!

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Oct 10, 2010
92
AmberRavenSong7 on Jun 18, 2014 wrote:
Jade is a valid if annoying strategy that absolutely can be overcome in the ring. I have overcome many the Jade turtle myself. If you really think about it, I am sure you can too. Insulting people that choose that strategy or the game designers themselves, well that's just rude. I do not care who says gg and who doesnt, but putting yourself on a pedestal because you cannot figure out how to overcome jade gear? thats delusional. stop making excuses and accept your losses like a warlord should. losses are a chance to learn something new. think about it, change your approach, and then you just might start making progress.

Amber Raven Song
I am quite capable of beating Jade, but certain Jade Death leave a very small window in which you can win.
Even many of the best players in the game have complained about the exact same thing.
I do not put myself on a pedestal, in anyway shape or form, you seem to place certain people there, not me.
I make no excuses, I do accept the loss, but for a Jade I see no reason to show respect by saying GG.
That is my personal pereference, and it will stay as so.

Is it a valid stategy, I would have to say no, considering that even KI themselves is trying to suppress it.
When KI themselves are attempting to fix a problem, like puppets, that should be a hint to you.
As far as starting to make progress, I will just smile at that one. Hope you have a great day.

Explorer
Oct 10, 2010
92
FinnAgainWindrider on Jun 18, 2014 wrote:
Granted, there are younger players in the game, and you are right to allow them some leeway to grow up.

That said, as the father of two children, I also have taught my children even from a young age to be kind and respectful and to have good sportsmanship. They are not perfect in this regard, nor am I even as an adult always free from frustration, disappointment, and upset (as some of my posts on these message boards amply demonstrate, including the one you just quoted). Nevertheless, even my children know better than to insult someone over loosing a game.

While it is right to allow children some leeway to grow up, it is still important to help them grow up by encouraging helpful and mature behavior.

There really is no need to insult anyone, and children can learn to be kind as well as adults. If this perspective were encouraged, I think the arena would be a much better experience altogether.
Yes, if the world was a perfect place, and rainbows covered the sky, life would be so sweet.
Not so in real life, where you may be a good father, that is not always the case.
Sad to say, but reality is always just around the corner, and many parents do not see
the world as you. Be as that may, we will always have a variety of different players, and
that will not change. If you have studied Psychology to any degreee, you know this to be the case.

Explorer
Oct 10, 2010
92
Grace Dreamrider on Jun 18, 2014 wrote:
Many of the players of this game are younger players but not all of them are immature. Only the bratty ones act this way and despite age, it is never ok to be rude. One of the things you have to do in P.E. class is be a good sport. So kids do know how to act and not every kid is an immature sore loser. Most aren't. You may view it as young kids not realizing how they sound, but they do realize. Everyone makes a choice of how they speak and act.
Grace,

Very true, but you are missing the reality of what you are saying. You are assuming that all parents
treat their children the same. You are making several assumptions in the above statement, and I
would have to question the fact.

Squire
Jun 19, 2010
501
PVP is fun, and if you want to win; you put on your big wizard pant, and bring your best game! I win and loose matches,and learn something new each time I pvp. But I've also met some really cool, fun, great; and not-so cool, fun, and great individuals playing pvp.

Sore losers and folks who hurl insults exist everywhere; but all I see and hear in this fun, family-friendly kid's game when they jump up and down, stamp their feet, huff and puff, hold their breath, shake their fists up to the sky, or utter words that make nuns and monks blush...

...are all just a bunch of immature folks who didn't have; or bring their best game!

They're special. Thankfully, we only get to spend the length of the match with these folks. Imagine having to be around this Mayor of Pleasantville all day and beyond; ooh, where can I sign up!?!

Here's the best part about pvp; you can adapt and change your strategy, gear, spells, pets and treasure cards. I found the best opportunity to do this is during tournaments. And while not everyone can afford to participate in one, I find most tournament players are friendly, helpful; with the expectation everyone else brings their "A" game; because they are.

Here's to an awesome pvp experience for everyone; or something better!

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
717
IcicleWar on Jun 19, 2014 wrote:
Yes, if the world was a perfect place, and rainbows covered the sky, life would be so sweet.
Not so in real life, where you may be a good father, that is not always the case.
Sad to say, but reality is always just around the corner, and many parents do not see
the world as you. Be as that may, we will always have a variety of different players, and
that will not change. If you have studied Psychology to any degreee, you know this to be the case.
What a snide and useless comment. Using cynicism to mask irresponsibility is still irresponsible.

Reality is not around the corner, reality is right here. The only way to make reality a good place is to be responsible for making it a good place. Just because the world is not a perfect place, and just because some people do behave in rude and immature ways, does not mean that we all should accept or condone such behavior.

If you have studied psychology to any degree, you know that allowing bad behavior to continue does not improve the situation. You don't let a bully continue to be a bully, regardless of the reasons. In fact, by addressing the situation and bringing awareness to the bullying, you are much more likely to improve the situation not only for the victim, but also for the bully.

Yes, some people do throw insults and get rude in PVP. But the fact that they do it does not make it right, and does not make it acceptable behavior. It is never necessary to insult people for losing a game. Such behavior is rude and immature, and it should be encouraged to stop.

This thread is right to encourage people to behave in a responsible, sportsmanlike manner. Kudos to the OP for starting it.

Survivor
May 11, 2009
4
To be honest i wish they made it so you can choose to make your own rank match and have your own rules like example "no pet heals" "no treasure cards" etc... and basically everyone would be more happy about playing pvp more there would be less drama in pvp too ... kingsisle never looks at the siggestions so this will never happen unless a lot lot lot of people say this so...

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
717
Tylerwildpants on Jun 19, 2014 wrote:
PVP is fun, and if you want to win; you put on your big wizard pant, and bring your best game! I win and loose matches,and learn something new each time I pvp. But I've also met some really cool, fun, great; and not-so cool, fun, and great individuals playing pvp.

Sore losers and folks who hurl insults exist everywhere; but all I see and hear in this fun, family-friendly kid's game when they jump up and down, stamp their feet, huff and puff, hold their breath, shake their fists up to the sky, or utter words that make nuns and monks blush...

...are all just a bunch of immature folks who didn't have; or bring their best game!

They're special. Thankfully, we only get to spend the length of the match with these folks. Imagine having to be around this Mayor of Pleasantville all day and beyond; ooh, where can I sign up!?!

Here's the best part about pvp; you can adapt and change your strategy, gear, spells, pets and treasure cards. I found the best opportunity to do this is during tournaments. And while not everyone can afford to participate in one, I find most tournament players are friendly, helpful; with the expectation everyone else brings their "A" game; because they are.

Here's to an awesome pvp experience for everyone; or something better!
Tyler, this is a delightful post! Thank you! And you are so right on! What a great attitude. I think I want to be like you when I grow up myself!

Explorer
Oct 10, 2010
92
FinnAgainWindrider on Jun 19, 2014 wrote:
What a snide and useless comment. Using cynicism to mask irresponsibility is still irresponsible.

Reality is not around the corner, reality is right here. The only way to make reality a good place is to be responsible for making it a good place. Just because the world is not a perfect place, and just because some people do behave in rude and immature ways, does not mean that we all should accept or condone such behavior.

If you have studied psychology to any degree, you know that allowing bad behavior to continue does not improve the situation. You don't let a bully continue to be a bully, regardless of the reasons. In fact, by addressing the situation and bringing awareness to the bullying, you are much more likely to improve the situation not only for the victim, but also for the bully.

Yes, some people do throw insults and get rude in PVP. But the fact that they do it does not make it right, and does not make it acceptable behavior. It is never necessary to insult people for losing a game. Such behavior is rude and immature, and it should be encouraged to stop.

This thread is right to encourage people to behave in a responsible, sportsmanlike manner. Kudos to the OP for starting it.
Finn,

If you look at the smallest of pictures, then yes, I agree with you. KI says they have 4 million wizards,
that in itself would mean that if you can change one child or adult a week, you and everyone else have
a long road. Is it good to try, ofcourse, I am certainly not stating that you should not give it a try.

I myself do not agree with the behavior of some in the game, and I am not to any dgreee condoning it.
I am simply stating the vastness of the players, and the variety of upbringings, do not all fit into the same mold.
Where I agree with Laws, as you know, even adults don't always follow them, hence the point I am trying to
make. If you cannot get full grown adults to follow the Law Mandates, how can you expect their
children to follow sportsmanlike rules?

Explorer
Oct 10, 2010
92
Finnagainwindrider wrote:
“They are not perfect in this regard, nor am I even as an adult always free from frustration, disappointment, and upset (as some of my posts on these message boards amply demonstrate, including the one you just quoted).”
“What a snide and useless comment. Using cynicism to mask irresponsibility is still irresponsible.”

Finnagain,
It was never a snide comment and it contained no cynicism, useless,, well maybe. You interpreted my posting completely wrong, no question on that.
On the flip side, your first statement is certainly proven by your second statement. It is very clear to me, that you have proven exactly what I stated, to be true.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
1077
So looking at the replies in this thread, apparently it doesn't matter if it's Arena PvP or Forum PvP, people still don't know how to talk nice. It doesn't matter if they're smart or dumb, young or old, whatever, they just get sucked into a competition cloud and can't say nice things.

Lesson: just like you can lock threads on the forum (like this one), there should be a chat lock after a match.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
717
IcicleWar on Jun 20, 2014 wrote:
Finnagainwindrider wrote:
“They are not perfect in this regard, nor am I even as an adult always free from frustration, disappointment, and upset (as some of my posts on these message boards amply demonstrate, including the one you just quoted).”
“What a snide and useless comment. Using cynicism to mask irresponsibility is still irresponsible.”

Finnagain,
It was never a snide comment and it contained no cynicism, useless,, well maybe. You interpreted my posting completely wrong, no question on that.
On the flip side, your first statement is certainly proven by your second statement. It is very clear to me, that you have proven exactly what I stated, to be true.
Well I appreciate you coming back thoughtfully in this post and the post before it. Still, I disagree.

First of all, what I said in the second statement was an accurate accounting of what you had said before. It does not prove that things in the world will never change. Quite the opposite. It is encouraging you to look at the meaning of your words and the impact they have on the discussion.

"Yes, if the world was a perfect place, and rainbows covered the sky, life would be so sweet. " That sounded very snide to me.

Likewise, saying things will never change is a cynical point of view, and one that I do not agree with.

What I honestly do not understand in your post, is that you seem to be defending and even justifying behavior that you admit to being bad behavior. Whether this is because you yourself engage in it, or whether you just think that because there are so many people who do it there is just no point in trying, I am not clear on. Either way though, I still think it is both cynical and irresponsible to then go on to defend behavior that does no one any good -- including those who engage in it. You seem to be both defending and justifying behavior that does make PVP unpleasant, and that lowers the quality of the game overall.

As far as changing only one person at a time goes, that is also the nature of reality. We can only affect the people that we actually reach. That goes both ways though -- we affect those we reach either for good or ill with everything we do all the time. When all of us throw up our hands in despair and do nothing, we create a world full of despair, because that despair is what we communicate, one person at a time -- but that spreads out from that person to the next and the next and so on in waves. When we act responsibly to generate kindness and respect, that too moves out in waves, and begins to create larger communities based on kindness and respect. Millions of people are affected by our cumulative efforts, for good or ill. This is true in all walks of life -- in games like this and elsewhere. So what makes our efforts useful, is to put them to good.

Secondly, yes, as I said in the first statement and will say again now, I am not perfect. I can also be very strong in my words. If what I said came as an insult to you, I apologize.

Not being perfect, though, does not mean being hopeless, or not being able to do anything at all. If we wait for perfection before we do anything, we will wait a long time indeed. I think it is important to do what we can while we can. Perfection is something I leave to powers greater than my own.

Delver
Mar 29, 2012
217
Lucas Rain on Jun 20, 2014 wrote:
So looking at the replies in this thread, apparently it doesn't matter if it's Arena PvP or Forum PvP, people still don't know how to talk nice. It doesn't matter if they're smart or dumb, young or old, whatever, they just get sucked into a competition cloud and can't say nice things.

Lesson: just like you can lock threads on the forum (like this one), there should be a chat lock after a match.
If they do that i wouldn't have half of my friends. why should the many suffer for the attitudes of the few? if you do not want to hear chat during and after a match there are settings for that in your spellbook. use them.

Explorer
Oct 10, 2010
92
Finnagain wrote:
"What I honestly do not understand in your post, is that you seem to be defending and even justifying behavior that you admit to being bad behavior. Whether this is because you yourself engage in it, or whether you just think that because there are so many people who do it there is just no point in trying, I am not clear on. Either way though, I still think it is both cynical and irresponsible to then go on to defend behavior that does no one any good -- including those who engage in it. You seem to be both defending and justifying behavior that does make PVP unpleasant, and that lowers the quality of the game overall."

If you can show me where in any post I defended or attempted to justify bad behavior, I will correct the statement so that it will not be misunderstood. I think on other hand I made it very clear that with the incredibly huge number of characters coming in and leaving the game, with a multitude of backgrounds, that it will have little effect. Those that complain of PVP today, will be complaining in two years, and after that a new crowd will still be complaining, and the circle will continue. Does that statement also codon their actions, no, not in any way.

Survivor
Dec 20, 2008
33
Haha, that's great and all until you fight storms that can kill you on the first turn or ice with more health than you could ever possibly deal, even without calling into account their colossal resist and typically ridiculous heal boost. Lets metaphorically assume that I'm the enraged Warlord and hear me when I say this: whether I'm mad at you or the matching system, my anger stems from something a little bit more than just the fact that you beat me... it comes from the fact that I thought this was an unfair match.

Survivor
Aug 31, 2010
16
stormkraker on Apr 11, 2014 wrote:
Hello,

I just want to say this to all the sore losers, STOP! I am also warlord, and I don't complain if I lose. Every match I say "gg" no matter what!
I have heard it all by now.
here is a short list:
"I would have won if you did not spam so many shields!"
"I would have won if your pet did not heal you!"
"treasure card noob"
"You got lucky, I fizzled!

OK, first of all, spamming shields, having your pet heal you, using treasure cards is all part of PVP!
Do you really want to win all the time?
I have news for you, everything you complain about is part of PVP. Spamming is a strategy, so accept it.
If my pet heals me, then my work on making a pet with all heals paid off!
And this is my favorite, wizards that complained about TC? Yea right after you cast your judgment, when your not even balance!! come on!
How about I say to you,
"Oh, I would have won if your pet did not have resist!
"Oh, if you did not cast infallible I would have had you!"
And as far as you fizzling, then increase you accuracy!

On that note, please accept your loss like a real warlord!

PVP Warlord
Thank you so much i am tired of sore losers. and who cares if you spam shields i always carry shatters with me. Every good pvp player always has a counter to what the other person may throw at you. And everyone uses tc i bet they even did too its part of the game people either deal with it or stop playing seriously. Thank you so much for speaking my mind.

Survivor
Aug 31, 2010
16
Another thing that annoys me is when peoples friends come to the matches to watch and they are insulting your strategy and calling you a noob because i am beating their friends. I mean common grow up and deal with the fact he or she is losing, its not even your character or your rank so why do you care so much?

Survivor
Feb 12, 2012
13
Gemma Luna on Jun 12, 2014 wrote:
If only...
but it usually works more like this:

1- Play a match using (unimaginative strategy). Lose to a (school) wizard who used (spell or item)

2- Start 27 threads on 9 message boards, and rage on Twitter about how (school) is OP and (spell or item) is unfair and should be banned. Accuse the other player of cheating. Demand KI change the game mechanics to favor (unimaginative strategy) since that is the LEGIT way to play.

3- Repeat
Many people do that, but mostly just replace (school) with storm, and (spell) with temptist\ storm owl

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
717
IcicleWar on Jun 20, 2014 wrote:
Finnagain wrote:
"What I honestly do not understand in your post, is that you seem to be defending and even justifying behavior that you admit to being bad behavior. Whether this is because you yourself engage in it, or whether you just think that because there are so many people who do it there is just no point in trying, I am not clear on. Either way though, I still think it is both cynical and irresponsible to then go on to defend behavior that does no one any good -- including those who engage in it. You seem to be both defending and justifying behavior that does make PVP unpleasant, and that lowers the quality of the game overall."

If you can show me where in any post I defended or attempted to justify bad behavior, I will correct the statement so that it will not be misunderstood. I think on other hand I made it very clear that with the incredibly huge number of characters coming in and leaving the game, with a multitude of backgrounds, that it will have little effect. Those that complain of PVP today, will be complaining in two years, and after that a new crowd will still be complaining, and the circle will continue. Does that statement also codon their actions, no, not in any way.
Fair enough. Maybe I misinterpreted. It seemed that by countering my posts and in some other posts as well that you were opting for a view that says it is ok not to accept your losses, not to say "GG", and that immature behavior is acceptable in the arena, simply because some people are in fact immature.

If not, then our only disagreement is in whether or not we think it helps to encourage people to be sportsmanlike and courteous. I think it does help. You seem to think it is futile.

Explorer
Oct 10, 2010
92
FinnAgainWindrider on Jun 26, 2014 wrote:
Fair enough. Maybe I misinterpreted. It seemed that by countering my posts and in some other posts as well that you were opting for a view that says it is ok not to accept your losses, not to say "GG", and that immature behavior is acceptable in the arena, simply because some people are in fact immature.

If not, then our only disagreement is in whether or not we think it helps to encourage people to be sportsmanlike and courteous. I think it does help. You seem to think it is futile.
If it's not a Good Game imo, I don't say GG, I see no reason to tell a lie.
In my opinion, if you have to use Jade to Win, I do not see it as a fair game, and therefore I
do not see any reason to pat the player on the back. I firmly believe that this is the reason
behind the Dark Magic, to counter something that KI did not see before the release of Jade gear.
If you feel that I should lie and say GG, well I guess I have nothing more to say on that matter.
If you also feel that it's immature not to say GG when someone does not feel it's a GG, again,
I will leave that where it stands.

I believe our disagreement has always been, I think it's a waste of time and futile. Where you
want to take the time to try to change those that offend you. As far as some of the people being
immature, that's a matter of opinion. Just because someone uses language that I do not approve of,
does not mean they are immature. I really don't see how you can directly tie the two together as fact.
Albert Einstein was well known for very offensive language at times, but he was also considers
extremely mature, and very intelligent.

Defender
Feb 08, 2009
135
Agreed but not just warlords all players

Survivor
Aug 25, 2012
28
i do agree but they have a point if your using tc and win because of it that should not be allowed and is super unfair.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
711
Haha, so true about the warlord whine, much of the time.

My mid level storm girl, Captain, takes all kinds of heat in ranked matches for wearing life mastery amulet and casting various life spells.

Here's what I have learned:

  • Entangle is a cheap shot.
  • Healing teammates is spamming.
  • TC use is cheating.
  • Pet heals are cheating.
  • Using Wild Bolt is cheating.
  • Using Tempest is cheating.
  • Sky Iron Hasta is the only reason I won, or my pet, or my gear (not jade), or luck. Never, ever, skill.


So, I guess if all I do is spam Kraken, Bats and Storm Snake, I can avoid cheating...

I always wonder if those whining warlords ever lost a match before they encountered me and my team. Honestly, some of them think they have a divine right to win. IMO, who cares that they lost. I need tickets for gear, and I will do what I must to keep my rank and continue on.

I turn off chatter in the arena and port away immediately if the losing opponent is confrontational. Waste of time to engage them.

Iridian and Sisters

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
589
Not all warlords are like this. I have 6 warlords, and on my Grand Myth I always seem to fight Promethean or Exalted wizards with 500 critical. I beat them sometimes, I lose sometimes, but no matter what I always say good game. Of course I think it is unfair that I am fighting people twice my level that can kill me with a lucky critical, but I don't complain. I know that this comes with the high rank I have, which is 1908, but it's still a little unfair. Nonetheless, I am a good sport when I lose, and say gg, and nothing else. So don't act like all warlords are like this, since plenty of good players are like me.

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
195
PVP Master12321 on Jul 5, 2014 wrote:
i do agree but they have a point if your using tc and win because of it that should not be allowed and is super unfair.
Not exactly unfair. TC are available for everyone so it's your own fault if you choose to ignore them. TC allow for a more creative approach and allow you to do things that you wouldn't normally be able to do with just trained spells. Now can it get annoying? Sure. But you cannot call it unfair as you have access to it as well. And uh.. for the record I don't accept the excuse "It's my opinion." as I subscribe to a certain quote for that:

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant" - Harlan Ellison

Champion
May 10, 2013
483
stormkraker on Apr 11, 2014 wrote:
Hello,

I just want to say this to all the sore losers, STOP! I am also warlord, and I don't complain if I lose. Every match I say "gg" no matter what!
I have heard it all by now.
here is a short list:
"I would have won if you did not spam so many shields!"
"I would have won if your pet did not heal you!"
"treasure card noob"
"You got lucky, I fizzled!

OK, first of all, spamming shields, having your pet heal you, using treasure cards is all part of PVP!
Do you really want to win all the time?
I have news for you, everything you complain about is part of PVP. Spamming is a strategy, so accept it.
If my pet heals me, then my work on making a pet with all heals paid off!
And this is my favorite, wizards that complained about TC? Yea right after you cast your judgment, when your not even balance!! come on!
How about I say to you,
"Oh, I would have won if your pet did not have resist!
"Oh, if you did not cast infallible I would have had you!"
And as far as you fizzling, then increase you accuracy!

On that note, please accept your loss like a real warlord!

PVP Warlord
Same here, I fought the same Warlord 3 times in a row (I won twice, he fled third.)
He always said "Stop with the tc dummy."

Right after he did a 1008 damage triton on me.

I survived and judge. gg