Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Confused On Hatching

AuthorMessage
Defender
Oct 04, 2010
This may be a question commonly asked, but if you're hatching, for example a imp with a dragon, and your pets the dragon would you get the imp, or its stats? I'm really confused. I've just started hatching and I need help.

- Scarlet Moon Stone, lvl 41

Delver
Jun 29, 2011
Hatching is completely random. You stand a 50/50 chance of getting either pet, and the talents your new pet will have are a combination of its parents talents.

Defender
Oct 04, 2010
Thank you! That makes a lot of sense now.

- Scarlet Moon Stone, lvl 41

Defender
Aug 25, 2013
I also think it should be mentioned pets sometimes have "hidden" talents.

Sometimes if a parent pet has a gene that it did not reveal it can be passed down to the new pet. (for example, if you have a pet that MIGHT give "Spell Defy" but it didn't give it when you trained it, there is still a teeny tiny chance it can be passed down to the new pet. Although this is rare I feel it is worth mentioning since it's happened to me a couple of times :P

John RavenCatcher - lvl95
John StormWalker - lvl95
John DragonPyre - lvl52
John FrostShard - lvl45

"Bambi is my old name.
Now.. Now they call me Deer Knight."

Defender
Oct 04, 2010
Sokad on Apr 11, 2014 wrote:
I also think it should be mentioned pets sometimes have "hidden" talents.

Sometimes if a parent pet has a gene that it did not reveal it can be passed down to the new pet. (for example, if you have a pet that MIGHT give "Spell Defy" but it didn't give it when you trained it, there is still a teeny tiny chance it can be passed down to the new pet. Although this is rare I feel it is worth mentioning since it's happened to me a couple of times :P

John RavenCatcher - lvl95
John StormWalker - lvl95
John DragonPyre - lvl52
John FrostShard - lvl45

"Bambi is my old name.
Now.. Now they call me Deer Knight."
WOW! I had no idea! Its sounds awesome, you must hatch a lot then...

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
It should be noted that some pets are more rare than others. It's not really always a 50/50 chance of getting the other pet. There are also hybrid pets when mixing school pets of the same level. Those give a small chance at creating a unique hybrid pet that is totally different than it's parents.