Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Nerfing Balance

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 29, 2017
Balance is by far the most Overpowered school. They are the only school who has the ability to counter everything. You cannot aura or they pop it with Supernova. You cannot have more than 1 pip or you get mana burned. You cannot shield or you get Hydra'd. You cannot use a DOT or you get Gearhead Destroyer'd. Their Roshambos counter blades and traps and they generally only benefit from it not using traps or blades themselves. If you have maximum traps or blades, they receive all the pips back as if they casted it for 0 pips. You cannot bubble or they Gaze of Fate you for only 4 pips and have a chance to get hit with extra damage if the second hit is the same as the current bubble. All of this while each of those hits can tally for over 1000 damage each because they have the damage of an attack school. The only way to beat a Balance in this age (5th Age) is if they deck fail and it is completely unfair to every school that has received some nerf as Balance only receives buffs with every update. Please Change this KI.

Defender
Sep 15, 2013
Survivor
Aug 19, 2011
While balance is certainly strong and you do have some valid points, the original post sounds like the writer was beaten one too many times by a balance. I would argue, and the statistics agree with me, that balance is the most balanced school in pvp. According to Ratbeard, balance had the 4th highest win rates amongst all schools in the previous pvp season. Balance is one of those schools that do well in the early ranks, but tend to drop off as they increase in rank for several reasons. Firstly, they have a hard time getting buffs up for their hits. They have a hard time keeping bubble control as their hit and bubble is a shadow hit and balance blade is always a poor move. Thus their only reliable buff is their damage aura, which can be countered with weaknesses. Balances also generally struggle against trap/blade stackers as they cannot quickly dispatch their opponents due to the previous reasons. As long as you keep your pips low, the value that mana burn gives the balance player is greatly reduced. As for hydra, this can be easily countered by tri-shielding. Balance also has a bit of an issue when dealing with single enemy blades, which replaces the damage aura. As for damage overtimes, every school can counter them with a triage if they don't have a shift mechanic in their spells. Besides if you are using a highly buffed strong overtime, you are just asking for it to be shifted or triaged. Balance also tends to struggle against minions. To summarize, Balance most certainly does not need a nerf and you just need to learn and exploit their weaknesses and beat them. I think the only scholl atm that needs a nerf is myth.

Survivor
Jan 14, 2012
JoeIronsword99 on Aug 26, 2022 wrote:
While balance is certainly strong and you do have some valid points, the original post sounds like the writer was beaten one too many times by a balance. I would argue, and the statistics agree with me, that balance is the most balanced school in pvp. According to Ratbeard, balance had the 4th highest win rates amongst all schools in the previous pvp season. Balance is one of those schools that do well in the early ranks, but tend to drop off as they increase in rank for several reasons. Firstly, they have a hard time getting buffs up for their hits. They have a hard time keeping bubble control as their hit and bubble is a shadow hit and balance blade is always a poor move. Thus their only reliable buff is their damage aura, which can be countered with weaknesses. Balances also generally struggle against trap/blade stackers as they cannot quickly dispatch their opponents due to the previous reasons. As long as you keep your pips low, the value that mana burn gives the balance player is greatly reduced. As for hydra, this can be easily countered by tri-shielding. Balance also has a bit of an issue when dealing with single enemy blades, which replaces the damage aura. As for damage overtimes, every school can counter them with a triage if they don't have a shift mechanic in their spells. Besides if you are using a highly buffed strong overtime, you are just asking for it to be shifted or triaged. Balance also tends to struggle against minions. To summarize, Balance most certainly does not need a nerf and you just need to learn and exploit their weaknesses and beat them. I think the only scholl atm that needs a nerf is myth.
I agree more with this, MAYBE Ice too. I think things are as balanced as they’re gonna get, so nobody needs any crazy ref or buff until we start to see consistent Age 5 exploits, which we aren’t yet.

Explorer
May 14, 2011
JoeIronsword99 on Aug 26, 2022 wrote:
The difference is with loremaster max upgrade being possible now, balance is extremely difficult to beat since they continuously spam mana burn, lore master, then shadow enhanced spells which guarantee them bubble control since you can't build enough pips and are constantly debuffed meaning you can't trade enough to make it even. The reason luminous isn't as big of a menace as loremaster is that life can't control your pips, ability to aura, or ability to blade naturally. Balance is supposed to be the middle school so its spells should be average, not the best. I think the problem is the same as life and death with Avalon spells being added that were so controlling for pvp that these schools instinctively just spam them rather than come up with a unique strategy. Why does guardian angel for life get banned (I think this should be life only and the pet/gear that gave it should have been no pvp), bad juju nerfed to the point you should just concede if used, and balance gets just minor damage adjustments that are reversed by increases in damage stats and removal of enchants which make the spells just as powerful comparatively. With loremaster back, the school and the combos that absolutely dominated the meta for grandmaster, archmage, and exalted to the point the spell was nerfed out of existence is back. I think its clear a school has busted spells when the school doesn't even bother to ever do a gambit and instead just spam spells added years ago. At least myth tries to do things unique.

I still think balance should get a +35% blade (since why do they get a +30% trap?) but mana burns ability to force players to spam or just endlessly take 1000 damage and be unable to use any upper pip spells should be reviewed. Balance scion is designed for a player to have max pips yet balances most used spell deletes pips and damages the person for merely wanting to use a higher pip spell. The math also doesn't make sense on the spell since a max tier scorpion is 3 pips, 200 damage, removes 1 pip. That means removing pips is viewed as 1 pip per (and considering that scorpion is max that should be even higher for tier 1 manaburn). That means mana burn has 2 pips for damage if being generous which should not be a 50 per pip on opponent damage (since the max potential is higher than a wild bolt without needing luck). With loremaster, this combo is to deadly so one should be reviewed so balance seems balanced again.