Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Return the Critical Block Animation

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 16, 2012
I assume this was a conscious decision, and not a bug. Otherwise it would have been fixed by now.

The critical block animation that once was has been removed. (It had the sound effect of swords clashing and a chromatic ripple visual effect, informing the player that a specific target blocked their strike, or vice-versa.)

As it currently stands, enemies "ghost block" certain hits. If you critical strike (your critical rate % helped you critical) and the enemy critical blocks (their block rate % helped them block), you have no way of knowing besides guessing from the damage.
This makes the game terrible at communicating to the player what exactly transpired, and while overall it might not affect decision-making all that much, it is irksome enough to be a widespread annoyance among players.

This problem is even more exacerbated during PvP, where blocking a hit is more common than in PvE.
There is one way it can describe decision making, and that is on the receiving end. For example, if I get hit by an attack a boss critical striked, I have no way of knowing how much block rate % I have, and therefore can't estimate whether or not the damage was in fact critical damage or not. This disallows me from identifying threat level, and, again as an example, whether to heal in fear of lethal damage, or keep blading.

My suggestion involves returning the critical block animation to inform the player what actually transpired. This for one, will at least let people know what happened.

If we were to go above and beyond simply reinstating that animation, letting the player know THEIR block rating vs THE OPPONENT'S crit rating (as in, how often would the player block a critical strike from an opponent), in the combat UI, I think it would be a massive improvement to game enjoyment.
Thank you.