Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Who were "THOSE Cheating Bosses" for you?

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Thought I'd make a more lighthearted post to take a break from the the big Spring Update Debate.

I know, when playing this game, that there has always been THOSE cheating bosses. The ones that, for one reason or another, stick out in your mind when you think of this game's challenges or how your Wizard progressed. The ones that provided you with true excitement or frustration.

Today I'd like to open the gate to memory lane and ask; who were these bosses for you? Which ones presented the greatest challenge or roadblock for you in your time playing Wizard101? To begin, I'll share mine:

Cipactli: The only thing faster than the steps of this Aztecan Caiman's war dance was my ability to get frustrated at not beating him. Cipactli was a thorn in my side when getting my Wizard through Azteca, and I was only able to beat him with the help of a friend. I still remember how tough he was to defeat... which justifies preparing that War Challenge, I guess.

Time Butterfly: There's no butterfly you can't hate... except this one, of course. As a Monstrologist, this thing was a pain to add to my collection of House Guests. Due to the way its cheats work, it takes forever to defeat it. True to its temporal nature, defeating this thing likely takes up half of a Doomsday Krok run. And now that people are doing Doomsday Krok again for those Retriever tokens, I suppose we'll all be reminded of its temporal toughness.

The Devourer: In my quest to collect every unique-looking House Guest, there's always been one adversary nipping at my heels. That adversary also happens to be one of the toughest bosses in the entire game. The Devourer is an incredible challenge to defeat, especially if you're trying to collect Animus. Maybe next tine Double Animus rolls around...

Titan's Trident: Whoever would have thought that a glorified fork would become the bane of an entire community? I, like everyone else, struggled to defeat the Storm Titan's Trident and finish Empyrea Part 2. It took me just over a week to successfully beat it, to be exact. I know its been toned down a little since it first came out, but I don't think any of us will be forgetting it anytime soon.

Renegade Druid: Show of hands, who remembers how tough this thing was when it first came out? I do. And it truly was TOUGH. This fellow was probably the only one that made me mirror my frustration at the aforementioned glorified fork. Today, it's still a very difficult challenge, especially if you're unprepared.

Simon the Sayer: I remember this spectral troll not for the fact that he was an incredible challenge, but for the fact that he gave me my One In a Million badge. Also, he just looks really cool.

Master Tonkatsu: Probably a Wizard's first taste of a real challenge, Master Tonkatsu holds a place in my heart for the fact that he was able to defeat me when I returned as a Level 70-ish Wizard. And for the fact that all of his animations just look amazing. Seriously, have you seen his walking animation? You should.

So now I'd like to pass on the baton. What cheating bosses stick out in your memory?

Defender
Jan 16, 2010
I second Cipactli. The first time I went into this fight, I was only half paying attention, and I was multitasking and doing like three things at the same time. Suddenly I looked up at the screen and grimaced when I realized he cheated. My fault for not looking it up beforehand. And by Azteca, I really did know better.

The other boss I can think of, off the top of my head is probably Belloq. The first time I did Belloq, I used a team-up because I was so scared of the fight. I'd read so much on the message boards about how painful it was to defeat Belloq. The only thing that made me cringe was when I got to Azteca, and found out that the time I faced him in Zafaria wasn't the last time I'd have to do so. There was also a random boss in Khrysalis Part 1 (I believe it's part 1), where you have to defeat him in that fortress, and he has almost a mirror of Belloq's cheats. Which I, again, didn't realize before I started the fight.

I have since learned to look up the bosses better. But the funny thing is, now I just see the first Belloq fight as annoying. The 3rd fight is pretty therapeutic, though. Especially since he doesn't cheat. (I think it's the 3rd time).

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
Belloq, it will always be Belloq for me

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Belloq : How odd that it should end this way for us after so many stimulating encounters. I almost regret it. Where shall I find a new adversary so close to my own level?

My Wizard : Try the local sewer.

Survivor
Feb 12, 2011
Besides seconding Belloq, definitely the Rat when he first came out! Took him 3 tries to fight and RIGHT after I beat him an update came out nerfing him :')

Another weird one is definitely (pretty old school) Gloomthorn! Not sure if anyone remembers him but he used to be necessary to enter Celestia when it first came out. It got downgraded to a sidequest and then retired completely as of late, but I'll never forget the dozens of times I tried to do the battle and lost miserably. I don't think I beat it till after completing Celestia (maybe part of Zafaria, too, it's been a while)!

Defender
Dec 27, 2014
Frostbranch in Wintertusk was one of the first cheating bosses I came across so really stuck with me.

Defender
Jan 16, 2010
king lucas on May 16, 2022 wrote:
Frostbranch in Wintertusk was one of the first cheating bosses I came across so really stuck with me.
I still cringe every time that fight comes up in my quest book. Frostbranch is painful, even knowing the cheats- but then again I solo, so...