Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Ideas to be considered in game development.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 09, 2012
I just wanted to give some suggestions to the game.

Was thinking it would be great if there wasn't a limit to how much friends you have. Because we meet awesome people in the game everyday. It stinks sometimes deleting friends to add another.

Also I think we should at least be able to mark more than one location. Up to 5 location markers would be great!

And I don't think there should be a limit to how much gold we can have? Sometimes I have to use up potions and buy more just so my gold won't be max.

I also think voice chat should be considered.

Just some suggestions which I believe you all should look into. Thank you.

Defender
Mar 02, 2009
Voice chat will almost certainly never be implemented in the game. Text chat is regulated for a reason, and voice chat adds a level of uncensored content that is unsafe for a game which is notably and intentionally family-oriented.

As an adult player of the game, I definitely understand the desire for voice chat, especially when you reach a higher level of cheating bosses, or when you've been friends with someone for a while- I have a friend in-game for over a decade now, and I wish it was easier for us to communicate, but it just isn't safe to implement.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
I definitely support more gold. A 32 bit integer can have a value of over 2 billion, so there's no technical reason for the gold cap.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
jasmain20 on Sep 27, 2021 wrote:

Was thinking it would be great if there wasn't a limit to how much friends you have. Because we meet awesome people in the game everyday. It stinks sometimes deleting friends to add another.

Also I think we should at least be able to mark more than one location. Up to 5 location markers would be great!

And I don't think there should be a limit to how much gold we can have? Sometimes I have to use up potions and buy more just so my gold won't be max.

re: limit on gold and other items -
1. If you're having to spend it just so you get more, then do you actually need more?
2. There are database concerns - There's no need to make the max number larger in the database just so you can get more gold you don't need and aren't spending.

The same thing goes for all the other items - There are database concerns - the bigger the number of items, the bigger the number has to be in the database - and you want that number to be as small as possible. All the entries are loaded into the computer's memory and the larger all those entries are (and even if you don't have any, you still have to allocate space for the max size) the more system resources you have to have.

If you aren't using it, you don't need it any bigger than it is.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
crystalwizard12345... on Oct 14, 2021 wrote:
re: limit on gold and other items -
1. If you're having to spend it just so you get more, then do you actually need more?
2. There are database concerns - There's no need to make the max number larger in the database just so you can get more gold you don't need and aren't spending.

The same thing goes for all the other items - There are database concerns - the bigger the number of items, the bigger the number has to be in the database - and you want that number to be as small as possible. All the entries are loaded into the computer's memory and the larger all those entries are (and even if you don't have any, you still have to allocate space for the max size) the more system resources you have to have.

If you aren't using it, you don't need it any bigger than it is.
This is wrong. You don't load the entire database into memory, you put it into storage and run queries on that data. My laptop has something of 8 GB of memory, but over 200 GB of storage. You also seem to be vastly overestimating the cost of storing that data. Storage is cheap and each friends list entry is probably no more than a few bytes. This goes double for gold, since it's already storing an integer (probably 32 bit, since 16 is too small and most systems use 32 or 64 bit integers) and therefore could give us the ability to store over 2 BILLION gold with zero increase in database space requirements.

Survivor
Jun 25, 2016

Multiple location markers and a higher gold cap would be awesome! Questing would become much faster. And I like being able to stack up gold and quest longer before buying and selling at the Bazaar.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
Robobot1747 on Oct 15, 2021 wrote:
This is wrong. You don't load the entire database into memory, you put it into storage and run queries on that data. My laptop has something of 8 GB of memory, but over 200 GB of storage. You also seem to be vastly overestimating the cost of storing that data. Storage is cheap and each friends list entry is probably no more than a few bytes. This goes double for gold, since it's already storing an integer (probably 32 bit, since 16 is too small and most systems use 32 or 64 bit integers) and therefore could give us the ability to store over 2 BILLION gold with zero increase in database space requirements.
if you don't load the entire database into memory, at least for the zone you are in, you have incredibly slow performance.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
crystalwizard12345... on Oct 19, 2021 wrote:
if you don't load the entire database into memory, at least for the zone you are in, you have incredibly slow performance.
That sounds like a client issue, not a server one. The server isn't in "a zone" and it doesn't need all the data loaded anyway. Even just a simple "only fetch data for active wizards" would massively reduce memory usage at a negligible cost to performance.

Defender
Jan 16, 2010
I would definitely be in favor of raising the gold limit. My upper level characters keep having to buy pets out of the kiosk or houses to get down below the 300k limit. Which I have no problem doing, mind you, but the problem is the higher level items sell for much more, thus giving me more gold, and it's just a cycle that keeps on repeating itself. Either that, or if more things could be purchasable for gold in the crowns shop, that might help as well. I know you can buy some things for gold there, but it would be a good way to get rid of gold in the game if we could get more things out of it?

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
Robobot1747 on Oct 23, 2021 wrote:
That sounds like a client issue, not a server one. The server isn't in "a zone" and it doesn't need all the data loaded anyway. Even just a simple "only fetch data for active wizards" would massively reduce memory usage at a negligible cost to performance.
not the server, the area of the game. For example, the commons of wizard city is a zone. Curious how much programing you've done on games like this one

Squire
Apr 18, 2013

We should never have to pay to have friends. That is just ridiculous. Friends list should be unlimited. I get so many wizards wanting to befriend me, I have to tell them I'm too friendly to have new friends.

Good suggestions!