Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Earthquake - Too much utility for one spell?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 23, 2009
Hello everyone,

As you probably know, myth wizards have a spell called Earthquake which deals 370 base damage to all and removes all charms and wards from all enemies. Arguably, one could say that Earthquake has the most utility out of all of the spells in the game. In my opinion, I find that even though the damage of Earthquake is low because of its expensive utility, I feel like it might be too much utility for one spell. Rather than guaranteed removal of all charms and wards from all enemies when this spell is cast, maybe the spell could have more RNG and have a 50% chance of removal and charms and wards instead. This 50% chance could be applied to each enemy, so it could be possible for one enemy to lose their blades and shields but another enemy doesn’t. I feel like applying this RNG would make sense because, in real life, some earthquakes are stronger than others and cause more destruction whereas some are weaker and no damage is done. What are your thoughts? Let me know what you think!

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
So the downside to Earthquake is that it removes ALL effects.

So traps, blades, weaknesses and shields. Some of which you may want to keep.

Champion
Nov 22, 2008
exp613 on Mar 16, 2021 wrote:
So the downside to Earthquake is that it removes ALL effects.

So traps, blades, weaknesses and shields. Some of which you may want to keep.
I actually agree with OP here. Earthquake is overvalued.

Simply from a mana perspective, it does more than 4 mana of damage, then does the 3 mana shatter and the 3 mana (storm) enfeeble. That's 10-11 pips of value baseline in a 6 pip spell. How many pips is the drawback worth? Maybe 2 or 3 pips, leaving it at around 8 pips of value in a 6 pip spell, which is too much.

The argument that you remove weaknesses or traps is flawed. If you are trapping and your allies need traps, you wouldn't even earthquake to begin with, and if not you use up the traps. Using weaknesses is a similar sort of thing in that you plan to do so, if you do at all.

The change to Orthrus has made it such that a myth can use earthquake when its good value and Orthrus when it isn't and served as an effective buff to Earthquake, albeit indirectly.

I look forward to a change to it in the spell audit later this year.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
rest on Mar 22, 2021 wrote:
I actually agree with OP here. Earthquake is overvalued.

Simply from a mana perspective, it does more than 4 mana of damage, then does the 3 mana shatter and the 3 mana (storm) enfeeble. That's 10-11 pips of value baseline in a 6 pip spell. How many pips is the drawback worth? Maybe 2 or 3 pips, leaving it at around 8 pips of value in a 6 pip spell, which is too much.

The argument that you remove weaknesses or traps is flawed. If you are trapping and your allies need traps, you wouldn't even earthquake to begin with, and if not you use up the traps. Using weaknesses is a similar sort of thing in that you plan to do so, if you do at all.

The change to Orthrus has made it such that a myth can use earthquake when its good value and Orthrus when it isn't and served as an effective buff to Earthquake, albeit indirectly.

I look forward to a change to it in the spell audit later this year.
You misunderstood my post. It's not an argument, it's a speculation as to why it was likely valued in that way. I agree that in the current meta especially with the spell audits and things coming up it's likely too powerful. I just feel that when it was originally designed.