Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Thoughts on Khrulhu changes.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 29, 2014
As most of you probably know, the death level 100 spell "call of khrulhu" has been nerfed so hard from its starting point that it is at half the damage it started at. The spell started at about 1200 damage to all and a drain, which deserved a nerf. They made it 800 to all and drain, which honestly I think is a great change, and did not need further tweaking. Now, the spell sits at 670 to all. Just as a reminder, this spell costs a shadow pip plus 5 pips. In comparison, the scarecrow deals 590 to all, just 80 short of one of the supposed-to-be "best" death spell. I am NOT saying that scarecrow needs a nerf, just that currently think that call of khrulhu is a bit too weak at the moment. I think this spell should do at least 750 to all, so I actually have a purpose to use this spell when I get enough pips for scarecrow 3 rounds before.

Defender
Dec 20, 2008
I agree with a minor buff on Lulu. Even with lifestealing attacks being able to take a full sun enhancement, Death still struggles with attacks. The strategy is just to blade stack and attack. No wonder it's bottom tier in PvP.

Explorer
Oct 24, 2019
RMV60 on Mar 7, 2021 wrote:
As most of you probably know, the death level 100 spell "call of khrulhu" has been nerfed so hard from its starting point that it is at half the damage it started at. The spell started at about 1200 damage to all and a drain, which deserved a nerf. They made it 800 to all and drain, which honestly I think is a great change, and did not need further tweaking. Now, the spell sits at 670 to all. Just as a reminder, this spell costs a shadow pip plus 5 pips. In comparison, the scarecrow deals 590 to all, just 80 short of one of the supposed-to-be "best" death spell. I am NOT saying that scarecrow needs a nerf, just that currently think that call of khrulhu is a bit too weak at the moment. I think this spell should do at least 750 to all, so I actually have a purpose to use this spell when I get enough pips for scarecrow 3 rounds before.
If you're going to boost Khrulhu, I'd consider 750 as fair.

Remember, it hits all enemies and drains the health back to you. Thats pretty powerful for an effect.

Also, Ship of Fools is much faster and easier to spam given it enchants, no shadow pip too.

I understand that not everyone pays to win but perhaps there are reasons why Khrulhu was taken down a peg.

All comes down to balance for future updates.

Survivor
Jan 25, 2021
I heavily agree with this statement. 1200 damage did seem to be OP but the nerf has made this spell drastically under powered to the point of it not being worth it. Scarecrow is already 400 and with colossal it is almost the same as Khrulhu. That makes it pointless to go for lulu because of the low shadow pip chance compared to scarecrow. I think in the summer update lulu should be buffed back up to 800 damage because right now it is an unnecessary spell.

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
RMV60 on Mar 7, 2021 wrote:
Up it to 800, or 1200, or it would be great if this can happen 4000, except, thats only for players, NPCs not allowed, only players.

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
Oh and make it 1, no 0 pips, ok I think 800 or 1100 is fine, definitely should need a buff.

Defender
Jul 26, 2012
The damage spells deal is based on a formula. There is a good article on Final Bastion that explains it in great depth. All spells have a base damage-per-pip value based on school and in the case of Death whether it is a damage or drain spell. As the rank of a spell increases the damage-per-pip of a spell also increases on a curve. Death's standard drain spells have a base DPP of 76, while the enhanced DPP used by shadow-enhanced spells, some lore spells, and Scion of Death is 94.

Here is the formula for Khrulhu:

94(8.6 + 0.13(8.6 - 1)) = 901.272 which gets rounded down to the nearest divisible of 5 to 900

However, spells that hit all enemies normally get a -25% damage reduction to compensate for the advantage of hitting multiple targets. Thus, Khrulhu's damage is 900(0.75) = 675.

Here is the formula for Scarecrow:

76(7 + 0.13(7-1)) = 591.28, which is rounded down to the nearest divisible of 5 to 590.

What makes Scarecrow so strong is that while it should get that same -25% damage penalty, none of the Rank 7 spells are given that penalty by design. The developer's noticed that Frost Giant, Power Nova, and Storm Lord did not have the usual damage penalty when they audited those spells and they decided to expand that benefit to all of the Rank 7 spells because they are all AoEs. Unfortunately this does mean some of the Darkmoor AoE spells feel a bit less powerful than they used to by comparison. However, if the developers were to change anything at this point it would most likely be giving Rank 7 spells the -25% damage penalty again instead of bending the rules for a bunch of other spells too.

It's important to recognize that the damage spells deal is based on math. If your suggested changes do not conform to the math then your feedback will probably fall on deaf ears.

Survivor
Aug 23, 2009
A thing to keep in mind is that Khrulhu has a 25% damage reduction for being an AOE, however, Scarecrow does not have that same 25% damage reduction like the other 7-pip AOEs. This is why Khrulhu may seem weak, but it is actually in line with spell damage guidelines.

When Khrulhu did 1,100 drain to all enemies, that was broken.
When Khrulhu did 830 drain to all enemies, that was overpowered by spell damage guidelines.
Now, Khrulhu does 675 drain to all enemies, which is balanced.

Survivor
Aug 29, 2014
Tanner Silver on Mar 9, 2021 wrote:
The damage spells deal is based on a formula. There is a good article on Final Bastion that explains it in great depth. All spells have a base damage-per-pip value based on school and in the case of Death whether it is a damage or drain spell. As the rank of a spell increases the damage-per-pip of a spell also increases on a curve. Death's standard drain spells have a base DPP of 76, while the enhanced DPP used by shadow-enhanced spells, some lore spells, and Scion of Death is 94.

Here is the formula for Khrulhu:

94(8.6 + 0.13(8.6 - 1)) = 901.272 which gets rounded down to the nearest divisible of 5 to 900

However, spells that hit all enemies normally get a -25% damage reduction to compensate for the advantage of hitting multiple targets. Thus, Khrulhu's damage is 900(0.75) = 675.

Here is the formula for Scarecrow:

76(7 + 0.13(7-1)) = 591.28, which is rounded down to the nearest divisible of 5 to 590.

What makes Scarecrow so strong is that while it should get that same -25% damage penalty, none of the Rank 7 spells are given that penalty by design. The developer's noticed that Frost Giant, Power Nova, and Storm Lord did not have the usual damage penalty when they audited those spells and they decided to expand that benefit to all of the Rank 7 spells because they are all AoEs. Unfortunately this does mean some of the Darkmoor AoE spells feel a bit less powerful than they used to by comparison. However, if the developers were to change anything at this point it would most likely be giving Rank 7 spells the -25% damage penalty again instead of bending the rules for a bunch of other spells too.

It's important to recognize that the damage spells deal is based on math. If your suggested changes do not conform to the math then your feedback will probably fall on deaf ears.
Hmm. Okay. But even though Scarecrow did not receive this reduction for being an aoe, scarecrow is balanced. It's perfectly where it needs to be. So if this is the formula for aoe's, then I think that the formula should add more damage to spells. In other words, keep scarecrow exactly where it is, but buff lulu.

Champion
Nov 22, 2008
RMV60 on Mar 24, 2021 wrote:
Hmm. Okay. But even though Scarecrow did not receive this reduction for being an aoe, scarecrow is balanced. It's perfectly where it needs to be. So if this is the formula for aoe's, then I think that the formula should add more damage to spells. In other words, keep scarecrow exactly where it is, but buff lulu.
While lulu could do with a slight buff, thats because of them misvaluing shadow pips under the new system. It takes much longer than they initially intended for it to take to get a shadow pip.

I dont think Lulu or Crow are ever going to be perfectly balanced because they are AOE drain spells. That automatically makes them stronger than other AOE spells. Its important to remember that they offer a LOT of sustainability to death such that using one will let you survive until you can use the other and vise versa.