Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Need Help with new Fire Wizard and beyond

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 27, 2014
Hello Everyone....,

I have been playing the game since about 2009 and I never really took time to understand the game's mechanics until I was way older (like now). So, recently, I started a new Fire Wizard on my account and I'm looking for advice on what I should do now. I've hit Dragonspyre, but now I've began to struggle....

What gear should I use between level 30 and 50, and what would make a good pet, what jewels should I get? Any advice is welcome !

Defender
Jan 16, 2010
I have a level 51 Fire wizard in Dragonspyre and what's been working for me is gear and a pet with high damage. I'm lucky enough to have a lump of coal pet that has essentially the damage of a Sky Iron Hasta (from Ares on Olympus in Aquilla), so +10. Her damage is 49 percent with gear and my pet, so I think so that helps enormously. What also helped was trying to get myself up to level 48 so I could get Fire Dragon (you need access to the Plaza of Conquests because you need to fight Mavra Flamewing - because I didn't want to do that fight twice, I did other quests [including a few in Wintertusk] in order to get myself up in level. That gave me access to the first tier of gear in Wintertusk as I did just enough there to free the merchants after you get through the gate. I'm now of level to wear that level 50 gear and its helping me enormously. As is being up in levels. But I also solo, so being above level in an area helps greatly when soloing PvE.

I'm one who advocates side quests. And doing the side quests, Wysteria, Crab Alley, Colossus Alley, as well as things like Grizzleheim (obviously), really helps. A bunch. So I'm aware I'm overleveled right now (I'm currently in the last phase of Dragonspyre).

So as far as gear, if you don't have a Sky Iron Hasta or something that adds to your damage, I would recommend getting one, which requires you to do Aquilla at level 30. There is good gear there but I'm not using it on my fire (in fact, my Fire hasn't done Aquilla yet). I had crowns gear instead that I was using from the Wysteria pack for a while before getting decent Bazaar gear (and now that I'm over 50, I have gear that has crit damage to it, so that helps a lot as well).

As far as jewels - its worth doing the daily quizzes on Wizard101's site so you can get your 100 crowns a day. Also do the daily assignments as that gives you crowns on certain days - I use the crowns to unlock the locked jewels on my gear. Doing that gives you access to the triangle jewel spots on certain items, and by this point, you should have some decent ones in your pack. (My athame or ring, I can't remember which, right now has a Stormzilla jewel, giving me that card in my deck as a bonus card). Triangle jewels can give you accuracy (I believe it's accuracy) but they can also give you additional card gems. And sometimes (fire bosses) you can use additional cards from other decks, and since you're probably going to Spirit Trap or Spirit Blade that boss anyway... its worth having a few.

As far as strategy, one of the best things I read was on these boards (recently, in fact) - someone suggested putting prisms in your side deck. Doing this has changed my gameplay and made it enormously more effective because I now have a prism whenever I need one for a fire boss, but keep in mind, in Dragonspyre, you usually only need to prism the boss, not the minion, even if it is fire - a lot of times the minion's resistance isn't quite as painful as the boss', but some of that is trial and error.

Hope some of this helped.

Defender
Aug 16, 2014
My Advice:

1. Blades are good.
You can get blades from pets and amulets, I would try to go for some of said amulets. Don't forget to use your elemental blade.

2. Team-up is useful.
Dragonspyre is hard for most people, especially fire, I had to use team up for most bosses.

3. DoT
As useful as it can be, Fire Dragon against fire isn't very good, I would use meteor. DoT also allows enemies to hit you after being hit themselves, which could make you extra low on health.

4. Secondary Schools.
People usually go for 3 spells; Tower Shield, Feint, and Satyr. All of these help in their own way and can make Dragonspyre less painful.

5. Healing
Whether its pixie, fairy, or satyr, all heal spells are useful around this area.

6. Friends Help.
even if you have another fire, any other players will make Dragonspyre easier and faster.

Hope some of these helps...

-Zachary SpiritLeaf, Morgrim StarBlossom, & Lauren MythMask