Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Problem with enchantments with PvP

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 19, 2010
Hey Mr. Spark,
(First off, I just wanted to say I personally aspire your hard work with being Lead Message Board, and secondly, a Happy Christmas to you I hope! We all appreciate you!)

Onto the topic i'm just wanting to discuss. It's not a *Bug* but there's going to be a huge problem with PvP this next age soon. And most of it is going to be directly centered at the start of the new age. For those whom don't know, when a new age refreshes, every player on the game gets their titles and stats refreshed and wiped clean. all their battles, wins, losses, etc. But what doesn't get erased is the permanent exclusives for being within those ranks. I'm talking about specific gear such as (Commander Set and Glendeming's armor). This has been a problem previous ages and frankly it was okay because usually those commanders pretty much beat the newer pvp players enough to rank themselves back to their position. However, this new age might have that pose as a problem. With not only gear locked behind a "skill" wall. (And I use that loosely.), Now we have the only enchantment that's mattered most to PvP locked behind it as well, sure it's lower than Commander, but when you think about it. Getting to veteran is still considerably rough. It's usually the first milestone point for players and new PvP dedicated wizards, because of the stats it gives with the Vet gear.

So, okay, sure, they have higher/better gear than lower ranked players, and they have an advantage over lower ranked players because they can actually buff up their spells. Let's step into the particular problem with the fact of the matchmaking system and how it'll effect the PvP matchmaking timer from what we're assumed to be told on how it'll work in 5th age. (This isn't to say it's a bad system at all, but needs to be looked into for consideration.) From what we gather, 5th age is supposed to rank lock you to your title and not rank you with others above or below your rank. So, Privates verse Privates, Knights verse Knights, Warlords only verse Warlords. And so on, however, because of all the restrictions behind the multiple different spells for PvP, mainly the enchants, and then lock it behind a rank title. previous age warlords will be dominating privates who've probably never pvped in their career. Which leaves them with a bad taste in their mouth. PvP currently has a lot less lower ranked players trying to do ranked as opposed to higher ranked players such as warlords, and instead, they'll just move over to practice, or tourneys. Which is great and all, however, Locking Privates to only be able to match with Privates when there's a underwhelming amount of them that even try PvP all together. Might make waiting for a single match dreadfully long for it being ranked que.

If it were in my choice, i'd say broaden the matching titles from only a single title and say, privates can match with sergeants, once you cross into veteran territory, then they can only verse vets up to captains. and same with commanders and warlords. On top of, to keep it more balanced for the lower ranks is to rank restrict the use of the enchantment spell until they reach that rank within the current age. so commanders can't just instantly kill their enemy with a heavy hit. Keep the ability to not lose rank even if you drop below the thresh-hold. so that commanders can't troll players trying to rank up. And finally, to negate that entire problem all together, make it so that players from the previous age who're above veteran and commander, they don't get their title reset. they can get their stats reset and be placed back on the either 650-dot (Vet) or 800-dot (Commander) so, captains, and knights get reset back to the start of Vet. Warlords and commanders get set back to the start of Commander. Same with below Vet. all ranks below it get set back to private regardless of how low they were before or how close they were to Vet.

Simply I just hope that the team is having an okay time with the after-holiday break~!
Thank you!

Administrator
Kitboone on Dec 29, 2020 wrote:
Hey Mr. Spark,
(First off, I just wanted to say I personally aspire your hard work with being Lead Message Board, and secondly, a Happy Christmas to you I hope! We all appreciate you!)

Onto the topic i'm just wanting to discuss. It's not a *Bug* but there's going to be a huge problem with PvP this next age soon. And most of it is going to be directly centered at the start of the new age. For those whom don't know, when a new age refreshes, every player on the game gets their titles and stats refreshed and wiped clean. all their battles, wins, losses, etc. But what doesn't get erased is the permanent exclusives for being within those ranks. I'm talking about specific gear such as (Commander Set and Glendeming's armor). This has been a problem previous ages and frankly it was okay because usually those commanders pretty much beat the newer pvp players enough to rank themselves back to their position. However, this new age might have that pose as a problem. With not only gear locked behind a "skill" wall. (And I use that loosely.), Now we have the only enchantment that's mattered most to PvP locked behind it as well, sure it's lower than Commander, but when you think about it. Getting to veteran is still considerably rough. It's usually the first milestone point for players and new PvP dedicated wizards, because of the stats it gives with the Vet gear.

So, okay, sure, they have higher/better gear than lower ranked players, and they have an advantage over lower ranked players because they can actually buff up their spells. Let's step into the particular problem with the fact of the matchmaking system and how it'll effect the PvP matchmaking timer from what we're assumed to be told on how it'll work in 5th age. (This isn't to say it's a bad system at all, but needs to be looked into for consideration.) From what we gather, 5th age is supposed to rank lock you to your title and not rank you with others above or below your rank. So, Privates verse Privates, Knights verse Knights, Warlords only verse Warlords. And so on, however, because of all the restrictions behind the multiple different spells for PvP, mainly the enchants, and then lock it behind a rank title. previous age warlords will be dominating privates who've probably never pvped in their career. Which leaves them with a bad taste in their mouth. PvP currently has a lot less lower ranked players trying to do ranked as opposed to higher ranked players such as warlords, and instead, they'll just move over to practice, or tourneys. Which is great and all, however, Locking Privates to only be able to match with Privates when there's a underwhelming amount of them that even try PvP all together. Might make waiting for a single match dreadfully long for it being ranked que.

If it were in my choice, i'd say broaden the matching titles from only a single title and say, privates can match with sergeants, once you cross into veteran territory, then they can only verse vets up to captains. and same with commanders and warlords. On top of, to keep it more balanced for the lower ranks is to rank restrict the use of the enchantment spell until they reach that rank within the current age. so commanders can't just instantly kill their enemy with a heavy hit. Keep the ability to not lose rank even if you drop below the thresh-hold. so that commanders can't troll players trying to rank up. And finally, to negate that entire problem all together, make it so that players from the previous age who're above veteran and commander, they don't get their title reset. they can get their stats reset and be placed back on the either 650-dot (Vet) or 800-dot (Commander) so, captains, and knights get reset back to the start of Vet. Warlords and commanders get set back to the start of Commander. Same with below Vet. all ranks below it get set back to private regardless of how low they were before or how close they were to Vet.

Simply I just hope that the team is having an okay time with the after-holiday break~!
Thank you!
Thanks Kitboone, the sentiment is appreciated. Happy Christmas and New Year to you as well!

This is an interesting conundrum, one it looks like we'll have to take a look at more closely. I personally don't have much experience with the first couple of arc transitions, so you could have a valid concern here. I'll get with the team to discuss it further.