Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Storm vs Fire Analysis

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Now i know am going off topic through the implemented buffs and nerfs on my previous post to fire balance and ice, but after some careful standard analysis between fire and storm i notice they came very close to having similar stats.
With the Dark Moor's hat, robe, athame,amulet, dragoons boots, sinbad wand,duelist ring and rats deck the stats for these schools go as follows. While storm stays relatively low at 5500 health, fire exceeds that by 1000 health making them around 6500. Storm boast around 150% damage while fire follows close by with 142%. Resist wise both storm and fire are even at 54%(this includes pet stats resistance and damage). Storm has around 39% pierce while fire has 37%. Critical wise Storm and Fire both have over 50% with storm being a bit more essentially both can critical fairly well. Both acquired 100% accuracy boost through these gears for their spells. With that out of the way lets look at some spells comparison that made me question the authenticity of the remarks made when people say storm shouldn't have access to damage overtime spells. Lets start of with the lore spells:

Catalan does 700 damage while leaving IMHO a useless 25% mantle, while the current burning rampage nerfs is a bit over the top for fire. Catalan should be upgraded into a Damage over time spell which would put it on par with burning rampage. Doing 100+750 damage over 3 rounds meanwhile Burning rampage needs to be made into a regular dot as well doing 120+650 over 3 rounds. Both cost 5 pips to cast.

Calypso and Brimstone Revenant is fairly balance and is further proof that by right storm should be having more damage in spells than fire. Both cost 4 pips to cast.

Catch of the day and Hephaestus both standing out in having their own unique utility is fairly balance another well done design proving storm should have more damage than fire. Both cost 5 pips to cast.

Now for this next one is a funny one cause it makes a lot of sense to me. Krampus does 305-345 while leaving a 45% mantle on the opponent for 4 pips. While hammer of thor does 475 damage but cleanse any negative charms before hit. The only main issue with this spell is the fact that it cost 5 pips and should be lowered to 4. The reason for this is although it counters weakness as it should because storm needs to keep up damage to survive, if krampus is cast before hammer of thor the cleanse becomes relatively useless and the storm has a chance to fizzle. Lowering the pip cost would essentially balance the hammer of thor spell while keeping its current damage for situational purposes.

Now, there are some spells earn through questing that made me feel like fire was getting the larger slice of the pie than storm. I'm going to pin point a few important ones disregarding the others. At level 22 fire gets away with having their first aoe spell meteor strike while storm ends up getting a mass aoe trap spell that becomes relatively useless until level 28 which is when they learn tempest Some may argue they prefer it the way it is right now so i won't argue about, that but this led fire to having 10 trainable damage spells by level 42 while storm retains 8. With that aside lets go onto the more advance spells.

At level 48 both storm and fire learns their signature spells and first advance combo utility. Storm having storm lord doing 690+ stun to all, while fire having fire dragon doing 440+351(791) to all. Now both of these spells are situational and deal a fair amount of damage but also brings out the uniqueness in those schools. As Lighting strikes you in most cases your stun or frozen hence, i don't believe stuns should be a myth thing but rather storm. When fire burns your turning in to crisp over and extended period of time. Hence why fire is suppose to be the masters of damage overtime.

At level 58 these two other spells became a prominent force, with now one you can actually counter with aegis while the other requires prediction or in my best suggestion a change in effect. Leviathan does 1030 damage and removes 2 blades, meanwhile Efreet does 895 damage and puts a FREE juju on the opponent. I don't agree with this concept at all and needs to be change into x2-35% traps hence would further their roles in the damage overtime department boosting their dot damages.

At level 85, King Artorius is learn through all schools. If fire got away with a dot when storm lord became a stun then by right storm King Art should have been a damage overtime vs Fire stun King Art, which should do 120+1000 over 3 rounds. That's the dot storm needs the most.

At level 100, both fire and storm got exceptional and flawless design shadow spells that pretty much declares where they stand. Storm get a mass damage aoe spell that insanely removes all blades for 1120 damage which i love, while fire getting a single target hit that does 1100-1300 and leaving x3-25% traps after which is honestly kind of broken. In all fairness and Aoe is only good if more than one enemy or opponent is present, this is where single target hits becomes exceptionally useful than aoe. With FFA doing that 1300 mass base (1600) enchanted that's a bit too much for the after effect it receives and needs a damage tone down, especially considering the fact it does more damage than an unenchanted rusalka's wrath of 1445 for one shadow 5 pips.
If it came down to it and storm needed a rusalka's wrath, fire would have out source and out damage storm way before they get their 6 pips.

As far as raging bull goes just the mantle needs to increase to 30%. It's already doing mass aoe damage for a fire spell and mantles are pretty much stuns in a nutshell.

The only buffs that would help storm improve more in pvp is less rng reliable utilities. Such as a increase buff to wild bolt from 10,100, 1000 to 300, 500 and 1000 for 3 pips. Healing current the same 300, 500 and 1000. This would give the already low tier school health wise some sort of suitability in the aspect of surviving other schools mass damage hits. As far as insane bolt goes a moderate change to a double hit spell while increase the cost to 4 pips would control its broken state. Doing at least 60% of its most damage in storm and 40% of its damage in moon. King art having a dot as mention above and hammer of thor pip cost reduce to 4 is sufficient enough to balance the storm school vs fire rotation.