Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Remove Pet Derby From Wizard

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 02, 2016
Title speaks for itself. No one plays this game mode. It is not popular at all. Other games such as League of Legends remove game modes that are unpopular. Twisted Treeline was a game mode on that game had a lot more people play that game mode than pet derby. Pet derby takes away from Wizard101 having better updates. Please remove the pet derby.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Nextgenpowerblast on Jan 22, 2020 wrote:
Title speaks for itself. No one plays this game mode. It is not popular at all. Other games such as League of Legends remove game modes that are unpopular. Twisted Treeline was a game mode on that game had a lot more people play that game mode than pet derby. Pet derby takes away from Wizard101 having better updates. Please remove the pet derby.
Quite frankly, NO WAY. Even if no one uses it much anymore, it's a fundamental part of the game that has been around since the very beginning. People still appreciate that it's there and the Pet pavillion wouldn't be the same without it. Plus, Wizard101 is NOT League of Legends. At all. It's not going to happen.

Survivor
Dec 25, 2010
Lookit Light on Jan 22, 2020 wrote:
Quite frankly, NO WAY. Even if no one uses it much anymore, it's a fundamental part of the game that has been around since the very beginning. People still appreciate that it's there and the Pet pavillion wouldn't be the same without it. Plus, Wizard101 is NOT League of Legends. At all. It's not going to happen.
I have to agree with you, though not many people play pet derby now but back in the start of the 4th age it was popular or fast enough to get in a match but rarely a match is done now a days. I have waited for a match for hours as a muted person ( trying to get to pet knight) when suddenly a guy teleported near the pet derby which had peaked my interest then suddenly two other people teleported I thought they were boosters or maybe friends helping the booster out but I doubt people would give away pet rank for free unless they were alt accounts or bribed in some way. Though now in pet derby I have also come across people making their own pet derby pets that were probably spent hours and hours on end including their own money for energy potions yet I have tried to do the same but derby stats are complicated to me unlike the other stats wouldn't that make certain people angry that they did all of that for nothing? If Kingsile had even thought about removing derby then they'd probably get backlash from the pet derby people/veterans who had a thrill doing it in the past but it would take too much effort and time to probably get rid of the code/programming into it then pet warlords would be even a thing of the past for good. Sorry for the rant even though it was posted in January and most likely no one will read this and I replied in March I'd just like pet derby to be their as a reminder of something that's been there for a long time and hold dearly to our hearts again I apologize to others about any grammar mistakes.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
A blue wraith on Mar 4, 2020 wrote:
I have to agree with you, though not many people play pet derby now but back in the start of the 4th age it was popular or fast enough to get in a match but rarely a match is done now a days. I have waited for a match for hours as a muted person ( trying to get to pet knight) when suddenly a guy teleported near the pet derby which had peaked my interest then suddenly two other people teleported I thought they were boosters or maybe friends helping the booster out but I doubt people would give away pet rank for free unless they were alt accounts or bribed in some way. Though now in pet derby I have also come across people making their own pet derby pets that were probably spent hours and hours on end including their own money for energy potions yet I have tried to do the same but derby stats are complicated to me unlike the other stats wouldn't that make certain people angry that they did all of that for nothing? If Kingsile had even thought about removing derby then they'd probably get backlash from the pet derby people/veterans who had a thrill doing it in the past but it would take too much effort and time to probably get rid of the code/programming into it then pet warlords would be even a thing of the past for good. Sorry for the rant even though it was posted in January and most likely no one will read this and I replied in March I'd just like pet derby to be their as a reminder of something that's been there for a long time and hold dearly to our hearts again I apologize to others about any grammar mistakes.
I agree. Pet Derby I a remainder of the early day. Though now I'm trying to think of ways that Pet Derby can become popular again. Maybe Kingsisle could to some Community Livestreams around it? Maybe fansites could hold Derby competitions?

You're right. I'm not thinking of having it go. I'm thinking of having it restored to glory.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
And what would you replace it with? How is this preventing W101 having better updates? It's obvious that this isn't so. And it seems that there are at least a few using this game ( for nostalgic fun ).

Administrator
Lookit Light on Mar 4, 2020 wrote:
I agree. Pet Derby I a remainder of the early day. Though now I'm trying to think of ways that Pet Derby can become popular again. Maybe Kingsisle could to some Community Livestreams around it? Maybe fansites could hold Derby competitions?

You're right. I'm not thinking of having it go. I'm thinking of having it restored to glory.
We love Pet Derby! It's all about the community's interest. If you want to see it shown more, we'll show it more.

Survivor
Dec 25, 2010

Though it may be tough getting Pet Derby back to its former glory we can at least make an effort to at least get some form of positive attention since people may be curious about Pet Derby for those who have never played the game. However, for Ranked Pet Derby that's a different story since Kingsisle could add some items/ pieces of gear like outfits not just rings, athames, or amulets since the Aphrodite's athames and rings far outclass the ones in the Pet Pavilion and the other new pets added such as Grimhorns and Flamenceos which can easily be obtained through tickets instead of rank. If we were able to get Kingsisles attention remember how long it took them to fix the Guardian Spirit banning it from PVP? ( no offense Kingsisle ) it took a lot of effort from the community to get their attention and be able to fix it as well as how there is only 4 trails? used in Ranked Pet Derby while in Practice Pet Derby you can choose the map you want. It'd be nice if Kingsisle would hear and take a look at Pet Derby as a whole or at least try to get some positive attention to Pet Derby. I've missed the thrill to be able think about what if this pet can take away my morale? or is this a 1st gen. pet, a questing pet, or one especially for Pet Derby? Sorry if this is to wordy but you're on to something about the Pet Derby idea and how Kingsisle could hold something like around Pet Derby like hosting a little tournament/ fun games in Practice Pet Derby.

Explorer
May 20, 2012
Sparck on Mar 5, 2020 wrote:
We love Pet Derby! It's all about the community's interest. If you want to see it shown more, we'll show it more.
Please Spark, Please make a Pet Derby Leaderboard and some sort of Pet Derby Tournament. I think that would help rejuvenate Pet Derby. Maybe make pet Treasure Cards for Derby to use during Derby. Please. I have always loved Pet Derby.

Survivor
Jun 25, 2014
Pet derby has always be an integrated part of the Wizard 101 experience. I wanted to always play more but no one ever plays. Its truly unfortunate given I found pet derby a lot more fun than PVP itself in a way and gives me a reason to raise my pets up. Honestly I would love to see higher grade snacks be integrated into the derby experience I mean I would love to get "luna" to Ultra but the 2000 to mega just seems overwhelming at the moment despite farming Mega Snacks from Evil magma peas that I have gotten from Secret tunnel. I really do hope to see more involvement in the games because honestly I would love to see us have a sub world not just an area where we have a year round or even just a say a week a month where we can go to this world and treat the pets as if we were them having to be transmogrified as them and doing quests that would earn pet exp. Think of it like a carnival type world that is in the far reaches of the spiral (take the concept from Marvel Land) and you know perhaps add things like paper rock scissors, and other related mini games including perhaps a group game where you all face a dungeon similar to that of wizard using the unique spells that your pets could learn in the world through paying for gold or trading in lower level snacks as a trade. the spells they learn have the option to be transferred into the wizard world but at a specified cost and only 3 spells could transfer over and a time limit would be like only 1 trade could be made a day during the specific period. Just a small idea that can be built on. Pet pavilion is great but to give our pets a side story on how they came to be would be ideal.

Explorer
Nov 05, 2011
I loved pet derby, only reason why I don't do it is because I can't find anyone else to race with .

I hope one day KingsIsle does something to bring a little life back to pet racing, such as improving the rewards in ranked derby.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
What abut competitive Pet Racing Tournaments? Any official fansite leaders that might be reading this could probably try Pet Racing contests next time they have an event. Or Kingsisle could do it as part of a Community Livestream! This kind of engagement could greatly increase Pet Derby racers.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Maybe now that pet promenade and pet revamp have occurred.....there might be some room for pet derby improvement. Now, where is Caspeen and his multitude of pet derby improvement ideas......

Survivor
Jun 16, 2012
Oran of Urz on May 12, 2020 wrote:
Maybe now that pet promenade and pet revamp have occurred.....there might be some room for pet derby improvement. Now, where is Caspeen and his multitude of pet derby improvement ideas......
I agree! Participating in pet derby could definitely become some part of the new Pet Promenade event. I would love that! I miss pet derby and would really like to see it as a more popular part of the game again. Add it to the new event KI !

Survivor
Apr 10, 2020
No, why would they remove pet derby from wizard101? I have a friend with all pet warlords who is actively trying to revive it. Keeping it in the game is not doing any hard and it is a fun, classic game mode for people who do not enjoy play versus player combat. Pet Derby is not doing anything to harm you. Why are you trying to harm it?

Explorer
Sep 18, 2009
Lookit Light on Jan 22, 2020 wrote:
Actually the pet derby has not been around since the beginning, and it is not a fundamental part of the game. I can see that you've been playing since 2015, when i started playing in 2009, the pet pavilion, mounts, and even the crown shop didn't even exist, there was no energy in the game, there was no need for it, that is not to say that they were poor design choices. However I do see the pet derby as pointless, Wizard101 offers no clear tutorial on it, and has poor controls in the actual derby, especially with the introduction of jewel socketing this derby's were and still are completely broken . As a true veteran of the game, In my opinion I am going to have to agree that the pet derby's be removed

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
ash5super on May 21, 2020 wrote:
Actually the pet derby has not been around since the beginning, and it is not a fundamental part of the game. I can see that you've been playing since 2015, when i started playing in 2009, the pet pavilion, mounts, and even the crown shop didn't even exist, there was no energy in the game, there was no need for it, that is not to say that they were poor design choices. However I do see the pet derby as pointless, Wizard101 offers no clear tutorial on it, and has poor controls in the actual derby, especially with the introduction of jewel socketing this derby's were and still are completely broken . As a true veteran of the game, In my opinion I am going to have to agree that the pet derby's be removed
Or maybe it could be up graded to fix those problems? "If it's broke, fix it, don't trash it!"

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
Derby should get more love, not be removed. It's great fun. Perhaps if it was added to an event, or had slightly better rewards, more players would want to do it.

Survivor
Oct 02, 2016
anecorbie on May 21, 2020 wrote:
Or maybe it could be up graded to fix those problems? "If it's broke, fix it, don't trash it!"
The entire point of not fixing something that is broken is because it requires too much work. When a mode is unpopular and is in disrepair, it is time to demolish it. Just like when a building is abandoned and no longer serves a purpose it gets destroyed.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Nextgenpowerblast on May 25, 2020 wrote:
The entire point of not fixing something that is broken is because it requires too much work. When a mode is unpopular and is in disrepair, it is time to demolish it. Just like when a building is abandoned and no longer serves a purpose it gets destroyed.
Only problem is, Pet Derby is NOT in disrepair. It is still a perfectly functional minigame with no complications or faults. It does, as a matter of fact, still serve a purpose because there are a few people who still use it.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Nextgenpowerblast on May 25, 2020 wrote:
Why else did we get an improvement in graphics of WC? That took a lot of work, yet KI chose to improve it; just as they can do the same to pet derby.

Community Leader
Lookit Light on May 8, 2020 wrote:
What abut competitive Pet Racing Tournaments? Any official fansite leaders that might be reading this could probably try Pet Racing contests next time they have an event. Or Kingsisle could do it as part of a Community Livestream! This kind of engagement could greatly increase Pet Derby racers.
Trying to do a competitive tournament or even a contest wouldn't necessarily work as easily, although not impossible. If Pet Derby or Beastmoon had a spectator mode, we would be able to hold a legitimate tournament or some sort of contest with a broadcast aspect.

If I were to go into a match for broadcast purposes, that takes away from the competition and wouldn't necessarily look as good for viewers. Let alone the fact that someone might get confused if they see 4 "players" but only 3 are officially competing.

Otherwise, the only potential solution would be a "timed trial" where participants submit their PB (personal best) from a certain map. Although, anything that doesn't have some sort of broadcast element usually doesn't reach as many people when comparing our Summer/Winter PvP tournaments to a submission based "skill" contest.

The only reason why I tend to stray away from events without oversight is the fact that someone can manipulate the results. If we simply accepted screenshots as proof that a match was completed, the only thing we can do is trust their word. Unfortunately, not all people are honest and will try to take advantage of things however possible.

At least with the "timed trial" idea, those results wouldn't be as much of an issue, but an actual "competition" between competitors within the same match might be. I don't want wintrading to become a strategy if we created a leaderboard type of tournament (similar to the old W101 Central PvP Ladders). Single elimination would hopefully be fine but with a lack of participants, people could be inclined to enter with multiple accounts.

(Which, unfortunately has happened during the Summer/Winter PvP tournaments. The only way we could even solve that issue was to use a third-party communication platform for instant discussion.)

Long story short, without doing things in a live environment compared to people competing on their own time, issues could occur. I know that it's impossible for perfection but my goal is to maintain an equal playing field.

I suppose I could have people record their own perspectives and send us that video, but that isn't feasible for everyone either. My goal anytime there's a DuelCircle event is to not have any sort of significant barrier for entry, if any.

KingsIsle has done snowball races during the winter KI Live broadcasts, but I'm assuming that you would want more of those year-round from them.

Although I'm not necessarily involved with derby, I figured my perspective would be interesting to provide some context.

DuelCircle Media Lead Organizer! Check us out here for all things PvP! (∩`-´)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
Survivor
Jul 01, 2013
I actually like pet derby. It shouldn't be removed but it should be updated because a 2 hour waiting period to just get a match (and that is if the person who queue up doesn't leave and you have to start the entire waiting period again. That's an entire different story for a different time) is beyond insanity. Personally, don't even get me started on the amount of bugs the game mode has now... I mean even if there was to be an event or an update to that game mode. KI should consider fixing the issues that Pet Derby has...

An idea they could do to "Improve" the game mode: Have spectator mode, team up with friends (I know some friends who love it and we try to compete each other), have better rewards for Rank Pet Derby, maybe even rework how the game mode itself works. I mean Pet Derby has been around for a while now and really hasn't been touched since the start of Wiz in a sense.

Right now could be a perfect opportunity especially since they are "trying" to rework Regular PvP as well. KI could honestly take Pet Derby into an entire different stage (metaphorically speaking). Just because something is old doesn't mean it has to be "demolished" or "removed" you can always rework and polish up stuff.

Defender
May 31, 2009

Glory indeed!

Am a little late here but did you know fan sites DO hold derby competitions? Since 2010 actually! Check out central because we just happen to be looking for a few Teen pets....

http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/competitions.php?c=12

Casp

Squire
May 10, 2013
People are constantly stating that Pet Derby is an "integral" part to Wizard101 and that the community has a liking to Pet Derby, but the game mode is dead.

From this thread alone, people are saying:

-The game mode gets no love
-2 hour queue times
-It's been the same for years

All signs that there are no intentions of attempting to revamp Derby.

I'm sorry to say, but unless there is a major revamp to the Derby system, I don't understand it's purpose.

Defender
May 31, 2009
PlayHard101 on Aug 7, 2020 wrote:
People are constantly stating that Pet Derby is an "integral" part to Wizard101 and that the community has a liking to Pet Derby, but the game mode is dead.

From this thread alone, people are saying:

-The game mode gets no love
-2 hour queue times
-It's been the same for years

All signs that there are no intentions of attempting to revamp Derby.

I'm sorry to say, but unless there is a major revamp to the Derby system, I don't understand it's purpose.
LOL, not sure what "people" you know that are "constantly stating" that Derby is integral - aside from Sparck and folks at KI, that is, which makes me hopeful.

Regardless, whether Derby is integral or not, the "purpose" of Derby is that some people enjoy it! What's the purpose of house decorations, or the housing tours, or photomancy, or so many other things? They are there because it appeals to some people. Given that, why get rid of it just because it's something you might not do? Contrary to what was said earlier in this thread, the presence of Derby doesn't hold back getting better upgrades at all. How could it, K I has put 0.0000000001% of effort into Derby. Would things be better if they instead put that 0.0000000001% into something else? In fact, the time and effort it would take to remove derby would be way more involvement than K I has put into Derby over the last 10 years and would impact "better updates" more than just leaving Derby alone.

As I've been saying for years, Derby really could be so much more - dare I say, relevant - if K I wanted it to be. If they would just do ANY of these - https://www.wizard101.com/forum/pets-mounts/some-derby-suggestions-8ad6a42773999d240173acb12d59136e?page=1 - Derby would have a chance. It's encouraging to hear Sparck talk the talk - hope that K I will walk the walk one of these days....

Casp