Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Deckathalon big disapointpent

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 06, 2012
Big disappointment on the event, you guys said on youtube that this events were for every one to enjoy even if you are a low level, but now that you guys changed it to only 3 times a day its almost impossible for the new players to actually enjoy it, first of all they can not afford good tc to do the mini game and second of all they don't have good pets to help them please tell every one that this event is not for new players is for veterans with good pets and money to spend on good treasure cards to endure all the 30 floors, 3 times a day you wont get even half way to get the fate of hands you will probably get the regular ones in around 5 months of grinding.

Survivor
Aug 31, 2011
I finally got myself to play the deckathalons and was enjoying them until this update. They should go back to letting us buy unlimited credits with gold. As it is, I'm finished with this. And, as a result, I won't be buying crowns to spend on the scrolls of fortune now. It's too bad, because before this update, the deckathalons were fun. This change is very disappointing. I don't mind the extra levels, just let us buy unlimited credits as before. Only three or four credits a day? What?? This is a game, supposed to be fun and relaxing. This is not a job! It shouldn't be so unrewarding.

Defender
Jun 08, 2011
You don't need "good tc" to get started and enjoy the first few floors. Some of my wizards barely have a healing pet at all, and are making do with minimal resources and the cards sold by Harold right there in the library. Ice shields, fire elves, lightning bats, ghouls...

Survivor
Jun 22, 2015
This event should really revert to the old play style.

(There is only a small people in the community that wanted the leaderboards, most people prefer that the leaderboard stay removed and the credits unlimited). There was a ton of community feedback from test realm that supported that this new update was not wanted. Now that the event has occurred in live there is a lot of people on social media and in discord chats showing they do not enjoy this update. I predict a lack of participation (especially over time on this event) if there is no open mind to reverting the event back.

(There is only a VERY small group that enjoys this update of the deckathon w/ the leaderboard & limits).

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
Agree with OP and other comments. I don't have social media accounts, so I was unaware of the new "you can't buy more points with gold" update, and I'm very disappointed. Couldn't you have just limited the number of points a player can buy-say 4 or 8, rather than completely getting rid of the option?

Deckathalon is probably my least favorite event, and this update reinforces my feelings.

Survivor
Jun 18, 2013
when i tried this in test realm i was super upset, but now that it is live and i've had a chance to play more, i love this set up. i've gotten to stage 8 on 3 wiz, 9 on 1, without very good healer pets. mine have heal talents, but they don't like to actually heal. it is a challenge, but not a bad one. once you get through the first 4 levels and craft the deck, you can just farm the first part if you want, and wait for a later event to get higher. if you can get the fifth deck, the first 3 stages you won't even need shields. you can just use your credits to do those 3 times a day, and you will get plenty of points. the pet probably by the 5th day of the event on the outside. my friend and i have 2 pets apiece so far, and will probably hit a third before it's over. it doesn't require a great healing pet, just a little persistence. i really hope they stand by this, at least for a couple more, and let people really give it a chance. it's actually pretty neat, IMO.

the fact that your health and mana refill at the end of stages, i think, makes all the difference. it totally changes what you need to aim for as far as health level when finishing the second fight and heading to the third. real game changer there. please give it a chance!

i would love if the rune drop was higher lol but it's all good and it drops spellements for ice beetle!

Survivor
Apr 07, 2011
alaric alaric on Jan 22, 2020 wrote:
I finally got myself to play the deckathalons and was enjoying them until this update. They should go back to letting us buy unlimited credits with gold. As it is, I'm finished with this. And, as a result, I won't be buying crowns to spend on the scrolls of fortune now. It's too bad, because before this update, the deckathalons were fun. This change is very disappointing. I don't mind the extra levels, just let us buy unlimited credits as before. Only three or four credits a day? What?? This is a game, supposed to be fun and relaxing. This is not a job! It shouldn't be so unrewarding.
Yea, I totally agree with this comment .... I kinda feel like they " back stabbed us on points " and the amount of fun this event could of provided for all of to enjoy. I myself probably wont event waste 7,000 crowns again if they just end up cutting me under the knees again on points like they just did this month....

It makes me kinda feel like... here's k.i. - " Here customers, see the reward, its on end of the hook - like a worm on a hook at end of a stick " ....then make us think we going to get the reward, then at last week ( like right now ) they cut our points short, and they ( ki ) are like : Hahaha ...your not going to get your final main reward prize!!! Means you going to have to shuck out another 7,000 crowns and try again!!!

Me : Um,... No!!! I just feel jaded and stabbed in the back! So they either fix the point system, or im nver shucking out another 7,000 crowns again! As he said, game should not feel unrewarding and feel like a job..its a game, not a job ...where the fun anymore? Doesnt feel fun anymore, cuz only time i had fun, was during the beatsmoon event...
The deckathalon? Not fun, and complete garbage....

Defender
May 11, 2013
lilacwine on Jan 27, 2020 wrote:
when i tried this in test realm i was super upset, but now that it is live and i've had a chance to play more, i love this set up. i've gotten to stage 8 on 3 wiz, 9 on 1, without very good healer pets. mine have heal talents, but they don't like to actually heal. it is a challenge, but not a bad one. once you get through the first 4 levels and craft the deck, you can just farm the first part if you want, and wait for a later event to get higher. if you can get the fifth deck, the first 3 stages you won't even need shields. you can just use your credits to do those 3 times a day, and you will get plenty of points. the pet probably by the 5th day of the event on the outside. my friend and i have 2 pets apiece so far, and will probably hit a third before it's over. it doesn't require a great healing pet, just a little persistence. i really hope they stand by this, at least for a couple more, and let people really give it a chance. it's actually pretty neat, IMO.

the fact that your health and mana refill at the end of stages, i think, makes all the difference. it totally changes what you need to aim for as far as health level when finishing the second fight and heading to the third. real game changer there. please give it a chance!

i would love if the rune drop was higher lol but it's all good and it drops spellements for ice beetle!
Well health and Mana no longer restore between stages AND we are limited to 3 entries a day, I swear the more people say how they don't like something the more KI hears " WE LOVE IT " even though there is an overwhelming amount of people saying they do not like it.

Survivor
Jun 18, 2013
this time around has been awful - i've still done it to get the pet, but am not sure i will even look at what they do for fire. and i was one of the ones who loved the ice deckathalon. it's been so frustrating doing the death one.

as far as points, yes points are lower with deckathalon, but i got to the end of the scroll ( didn't buy it, but the free bits) on most of my wizards, not just one. i'm not sure how it would be hard to get to the end in 3 months? i had a week off work during one of the beastmoon hunts and i got almost 1600 points, am a little embarrassed to say it. but the points rack up during that. i had quit doing daily tasks but started again during the spiral showcase event. i mean that's 20 points a day, and if you fish or train you get more, but i only do task during that one unless i have a reason to do something else. i'm not really a big fisher and most of my pets are done. if they are doing seasonal scrolls, which they obviously are, they can't stretch them for anything - 4 scrolls a year means 3 months per scroll, right?

Survivor
Nov 28, 2012
RedDragon877 on Feb 23, 2020 wrote:
Well health and Mana no longer restore between stages AND we are limited to 3 entries a day, I swear the more people say how they don't like something the more KI hears " WE LOVE IT " even though there is an overwhelming amount of people saying they do not like it.
and it has not gotten easier with the new fire deckathalon. i do wish they gave more chances per day. but it looks like they will cut it to one time a day.

Survivor
Dec 01, 2013
So I'm on stage 3 of Fire Deckathlon and I am completely stuck. I can't find a way of defending against Fire Elves which are taking up most of my health, Fire Shield is of little use and Frozen Armour takes up too many pips so I can't attack at the same time as using it. Is there anything that I have missed? Kingsisle, you know what your fans want, so listen to us. The three try limit is disastrous especially if you don't achieve anything on those attempts. Also, how are we supposed to continue up the levels if we can't restore health or add more cards to our decks.

Survivor
Jun 18, 2013
elephant man on Mar 19, 2020 wrote:
So I'm on stage 3 of Fire Deckathlon and I am completely stuck. I can't find a way of defending against Fire Elves which are taking up most of my health, Fire Shield is of little use and Frozen Armour takes up too many pips so I can't attack at the same time as using it. Is there anything that I have missed? Kingsisle, you know what your fans want, so listen to us. The three try limit is disastrous especially if you don't achieve anything on those attempts. Also, how are we supposed to continue up the levels if we can't restore health or add more cards to our decks.
you might try finding the most tc space you can find on a deck for your level, with a square jewel. if the deck has a pip you will get that as well, and that helps enormously. a defense ruby will dull those elves at least some. it's hard to get through the stages the first time through, and can take a credit to get through just one stage at a time. but once you get to higher levels, and can make higher level decks, it becomes pretty easy, at least up to stage 5 or so. with a stage 6 deck you can get through stages 1, 2, and 3 easily, sometimes 4 as well, on one credit. this makes point earning and rune farming easier.

i used a high level deck from a previous deckathalon to get through stage 5, then crafted the level 5 deck. i know people can't do that who haven't gone far in one of these events yet. they seem to be wanting people to get partially through and work to go farther in subsequent deckathalons. we've never been able to reload tcs inside the stages. it would be a major change to make that possible, and i can't imagine them doing it. if you try to load everything you will need for one stage at a time - that's 3 fights, 4 enemies to defeat, unless you have a lot of tc space - that's the best people can do.

Delver
Dec 13, 2008
RedDragon877 on Feb 23, 2020 wrote:
i cant tell you how true this is lol the event will end up dying because they are to stubborn to realize that a majority dont like it they hate it especially after deaths ugh worst one yet i fear balance will be so much worse because they may end of having hydra which is an automatic one round finisher same if they have chimera and think about it if they had mana burn too the only way balance's would be so broken in all get out is if they reverted it back for that specific deckathalon or dont let any of those spells be in it for that one

Survivor
Aug 23, 2009
This new set up is awful. Not only is it not fun anymore. There's to many bugs in the event. I had it freeze up on me a few times in battle and I had to shut down the game. Which put me back in the library. Thus wasting my credits for the day. I was so upset, because every time it froze. I hadn't had the chance to even gain points, because it freezes two battles in and it's not like I can get more credits. I did ask for my credits to be returned to me with no reply back from support. I even had screenshots showing the freeze up and points loss. My internet is great and I have no connection issues. So not only are we losing the option to buy credits. We just straight up lose our limited credits period. What's the point in even trying to climb the leaderboard or try for the pet if wizard101 can't even keep the game from faltering?! They need to change it back. I'm done with it until it is reverted back. Not wasting my time and getting upset every time the game freezes up and/or lags due to bugs they can't seem to fix. I use to like the deck events. Not anymore!

Survivor
Jun 18, 2013
retrorose82 on Mar 22, 2020 wrote:
This new set up is awful. Not only is it not fun anymore. There's to many bugs in the event. I had it freeze up on me a few times in battle and I had to shut down the game. Which put me back in the library. Thus wasting my credits for the day. I was so upset, because every time it froze. I hadn't had the chance to even gain points, because it freezes two battles in and it's not like I can get more credits. I did ask for my credits to be returned to me with no reply back from support. I even had screenshots showing the freeze up and points loss. My internet is great and I have no connection issues. So not only are we losing the option to buy credits. We just straight up lose our limited credits period. What's the point in even trying to climb the leaderboard or try for the pet if wizard101 can't even keep the game from faltering?! They need to change it back. I'm done with it until it is reverted back. Not wasting my time and getting upset every time the game freezes up and/or lags due to bugs they can't seem to fix. I use to like the deck events. Not anymore!
i found the fire one way easier than the death. sorry you've had freeze glitches.

but this one hasn't been too bad, i actually found the middle stages to be the hardest. i've gotten the falmea's foe badge on 3 of my wiz so far, and that's with scaling back this time. haven't lost once in stage 10, which is just weird. i like the new format, but can see it might winnow the number of players. it's been kind of nice actually being able to buy ice tc from the bazaar, but the library still always seems pretty full, so some people do like it still.

i wouldn't worry about the balance deckathalon being impossible with them being able to one shot us. they set them up to be difficult but possible. and they have complete control over what spells they can use against us, so there is a strategy we can devise to get through each time.