Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Classic Mode NEEDS an update.

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jun 22, 2010
So as you can see, I have been playing since June 2010. A lot has changed since then, and I really dig the idea of making the game look great (and also look more in lieu to Pirate101). However classic mode I think is missing some key elements which makes it classic. I just want to put it out there that I hope Kingsisle is listening when I say these. Let me begin;

1. When I turn on Classic Mode, I expect to see the old character models, not the new ones. I even remember last year where turning classic mode on or off affected the enemies but that feature for some reason was turned off? This should have been standard.
2. I expect the sky boxes to be the same. Let's say Triton Avenue, back in 2010 it never rained and the sky looked more dark purple. Now it rains and the sky is the same as it is with Classic Mode turned off. I do not expect any cells to change appearance, but rather a portal to old Wizard101.
3. The treasure chest sound and the gift icon should reflect on what mode you are using. Something about opening a treasure chest and hearing the whizzing sound felt sooo good.
4. Spells need a revamp, though I am certain that is in the works because the sounds for them are different. But on that note; the sounds and look of the spells should also reflect on whether or not classic mode is turned on or off.
5. The character selection screen should change to either new or original depending on the mode selected.
6. Maybe pets could get a revamp also? Perhaps they can modify the revamped designs to make them look a little cuter.
7. The battle circle and music should be affected to the mode selected.
8. The revamped Minotaur model is inconsistent with Pirate101, many... many pets, and minotaur enemies in later worlds. Please change it so its snout is just fur, and perhaps use the new one as a future boss.
9. Updated book pedestals and derby pedestals are visible in classic mode, please change it so its "classic."
10. Dragon Mouth cave's gate should also reflect on the mode.

Things to be fixed with potential future classic mode updates
1. Grizzleheim needs a revamp. It has barely gotten any recognition since 2011, when Wintertusk came out. Heck, Nick Jonas is still there and still says Wintertusk is new (with obvious fourth wall breaking). The graphics have not aged very well in my opinion. And because you go there early on in the game, it could set off new players. It is so ignored that Baldur Goldpaw's old model is found in Grizzleheim, not the new one.
2. If Marleybone gets an update, there is one inconsistency that needs to be fixed. In Marleybone, when you take a hovercraft, you see Marleybone is a floating island in the middle of no where. While in Pirate101, it is shown that its on a large landmass overlooking the Westminster skyway. This needs to be changed as its a huge inconsistency with Pirate101.
3. If Mooshu gets an update, give it the Pirate101 skybox and water. The pinkish purple sunset and the clear blue made the world look so beautiful and peaceful.
4. If Dragonspyre is updated, please redo some of the voices. Most of them sound unclear and I usually can not make out what they are saying unless I look at the subtitles.

That's everything. I made a similar topic on the Pirate101 boards on how it can improve. Thanks for reading all of this. I didn't include Krokotopia on top because I'm sure we'll get an update eventually.

EDIT: Made the post shorter with extra clarity.

Champion
Feb 06, 2010
james skullheart on Oct 29, 2019 wrote:
So as you can see, I have been playing since June 2010. A lot has changed since then, and I really dig the idea of making the game look great (and also look more in lieu to Pirate101). However classic mode I think is missing some key elements which makes it classic. I just want to put it out there that I hope Kingsisle is listening when I say these. Let me begin;

1. When I turn on Classic Mode, I expect to see the old character models, not the new ones. I even remember last year where turning classic mode on or off affected the enemies but that feature for some reason was turned off? This should have been standard.
2. I expect the sky boxes to be the same. Let's say Triton Avenue, back in 2010 it never rained and the sky looked more dark purple. Now it rains and the sky is the same as it is with Classic Mode turned off. I do not expect any cells to change appearance, but rather a portal to old Wizard101.
3. The treasure chest sound and the gift icon should reflect on what mode you are using. Something about opening a treasure chest and hearing the whizzing sound felt sooo good.
4. Spells need a revamp, though I am certain that is in the works because the sounds for them are different. But on that note; the sounds and look of the spells should also reflect on whether or not classic mode is turned on or off.
5. The character selection screen should change to either new or original depending on the mode selected.
6. Maybe pets could get a revamp also? Perhaps they can modify the revamped designs to make them look a little cuter.
7. The battle circle and music should be affected to the mode selected.
8. The revamped Minotaur model is inconsistent with Pirate101, many... many pets, and minotaur enemies in later worlds. Please change it so its snout is just fur, and perhaps use the new one as a future boss.
9. Updated book pedestals and derby pedestals are visible in classic mode, please change it so its "classic."
10. Dragon Mouth cave's gate should also reflect on the mode.

Things to be fixed with potential future classic mode updates
1. Grizzleheim needs a revamp. It has barely gotten any recognition since 2011, when Wintertusk came out. Heck, Nick Jonas is still there and still says Wintertusk is new (with obvious fourth wall breaking). The graphics have not aged very well in my opinion. And because you go there early on in the game, it could set off new players. It is so ignored that Baldur Goldpaw's old model is found in Grizzleheim, not the new one.
2. If Marleybone gets an update, there is one inconsistency that needs to be fixed. In Marleybone, when you take a hovercraft, you see Marleybone is a floating island in the middle of no where. While in Pirate101, it is shown that its on a large landmass overlooking the Westminster skyway. This needs to be changed as its a huge inconsistency with Pirate101.
3. If Mooshu gets an update, give it the Pirate101 skybox and water. The pinkish purple sunset and the clear blue made the world look so beautiful and peaceful.
4. If Dragonspyre is updated, please redo some of the voices. Most of them sound unclear and I usually can not make out what they are saying unless I look at the subtitles.

That's everything. I made a similar topic on the Pirate101 boards on how it can improve. Thanks for reading all of this. I didn't include Krokotopia on top because I'm sure we'll get an update eventually.

EDIT: Made the post shorter with extra clarity.
Hi James!

1. The old NPC character models had to be removed because that would require all of them to gain the new talk animation. I assume it was much easier to just permanently revamp the NPCs for both classic and revamp.

2. Again, animation was added to the sky, so it was just easier to make both versions revamped.

3. The treasure chest sound only recently changed with the beastmoon hunt event. All treasure chests make that sound now, which is odd.

I know exactly where you are coming from, I prefer originality too on some things. I also think it would almost be best to just abolish classic mode. The only reason I say this is because it is treated as a new computer system. Eventually KingsIsle will have to allow the classic mode to decay, for it would be a difficult challenge to go back and forth between old and new software. Just like how Microsoft Windows says they will no longer support Windows 7 and only Windows 10 from now on.

Survivor
Dec 04, 2011
Yes please! I can't stand the blue haunted minions!