Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are Death Minions Useless?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 23, 2019
So quick question, am I missing something or are Death minions useless?

Now to start out I'm realitively new. I have a level 31 Death and a level 28 Storm. I had a level 50 death a long time ago...like a decade long time. Also I only have animate as of now.

Now, what I'm basing this on is that basicly the need for planning as a death wizard and that minions tend to completely muck up your plans. For instance my minion on the second time I summoned it used Dark Sprite on a boss that had feint, curse and trap. Triggered me immediately and I unslotted it after.

So please tell me if I'm wrong here, I would like to use them, as I could plan while they take the agro.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
The minions aren't entirely useless.

During my magus - grandmaster days, I used to use the minions while questing; particularly to see each of their strengths and looks based on the pip level :P

The Crypt Walker (10 pips) alongside the Captive Banshee (six pips) have always been my favorite as these creatures had a small versatility of spells (kraken, ice wyvern) and the Banshee even knows Plague.

They don't use lame rank one spells such as Dark Sprite. The weakest spells they may use if Fire Elf or Ghoul.

Now, until we are bestowed the ability to control our summonings, we will just have to work with what they do, and understand the risks involved when summoning one. They will break your traps, set off cheats, ignore warnings, etc.

But at the same time, they do have their uses.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Minions are useless. Regardless of school, minions are NOT worth having in your deck.

They take your traps and feints. Within five levels of acquiring the minion you are facing bosses who can one shot your minion out of existence.

What KI should do is adopt the P101 method where your minions advance as you do. And you can also pick and choose what spells the minion casts.

I much prefer the battle mechanics of P101 but seldom play it due to lack of additional things to do.

Steven Ghoststalker

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
I have found that minion spells are useless. They cost too much for no help. That is MY experience, but some swear by them. Now, if we take Monstrology into the mix, those are REALLY helpful. I've used them in some spots very high in the game and they worked well for me. There's that one monster, Elemental void I believe it's called, and I used 2 monstrology "minions" in the same fight and not only did they stay on to the end, they didn't even come close to dying. I personally consider Monstrology monsters to be Minions, but they're much more advanced forms of minions

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Area51Alien on Mar 6, 2019 wrote:
Minions are useless. Regardless of school, minions are NOT worth having in your deck.

They take your traps and feints. Within five levels of acquiring the minion you are facing bosses who can one shot your minion out of existence.

What KI should do is adopt the P101 method where your minions advance as you do. And you can also pick and choose what spells the minion casts.

I much prefer the battle mechanics of P101 but seldom play it due to lack of additional things to do.

Steven Ghoststalker
I must point out one thing, Steven Ghoststalker, in P101 minions don't advance with you ( you can boost them or you can use a higher leveled minion ) and you can't choose who they attack - they are free willed units in battle

Survivor
Feb 23, 2019
Star Edward on Mar 6, 2019 wrote:
The minions aren't entirely useless.

During my magus - grandmaster days, I used to use the minions while questing; particularly to see each of their strengths and looks based on the pip level :P

The Crypt Walker (10 pips) alongside the Captive Banshee (six pips) have always been my favorite as these creatures had a small versatility of spells (kraken, ice wyvern) and the Banshee even knows Plague.

They don't use lame rank one spells such as Dark Sprite. The weakest spells they may use if Fire Elf or Ghoul.

Now, until we are bestowed the ability to control our summonings, we will just have to work with what they do, and understand the risks involved when summoning one. They will break your traps, set off cheats, ignore warnings, etc.

But at the same time, they do have their uses.

Well if that's the case then I'd rather not use them. Though being able to control them would fix this completely. Thanks for the info.

Survivor
Feb 23, 2019

Steven Ghoststalker
I don't know about that, the Storm minion saved me more than once before I got tempest.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012

Steven Ghoststalker
Ah, excuse me, the misuse of the word "minions" instead of companions confused me, however our companions don't automatically advance with us ( as you seem to suggest ).We need to train & promote them.

We do have actual summons for minions, ( like Bone chant ). but they don't rank up nor can you choose who they attack...
I do agree we need extra things to do in P101.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
anecorbie on Mar 6, 2019 wrote:
I must point out one thing, Steven Ghoststalker, in P101 minions don't advance with you ( you can boost them or you can use a higher leveled minion ) and you can't choose who they attack - they are free willed units in battle
My bad, faulty memory. (Comes from being old)

It has been a while since I played P101

Still the minions do get better and are not static.

S Gs

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
anecorbie on Mar 7, 2019 wrote:
Ah, excuse me, the misuse of the word "minions" instead of companions confused me, however our companions don't automatically advance with us ( as you seem to suggest ).We need to train & promote them.

We do have actual summons for minions, ( like Bone chant ). but they don't rank up nor can you choose who they attack...
I do agree we need extra things to do in P101.
Anecorbie, these are the Wizard101 message boards! Not Pirate!

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Lookit Light on Mar 7, 2019 wrote:
It was Steven Ghoststalker who mentioned Pirate101 to compare the Wizard minions vs our companions. I was correcting his comment

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
anecorbie on Mar 7, 2019 wrote:
It was Steven Ghoststalker who mentioned Pirate101 to compare the Wizard minions vs our companions. I was correcting his comment
Oops! My mistake.

Anyway, when my Brian Waterspear was a little baby Storm in Krokotopia, I found using the Storm Elemental to be very helpful in battle. Minions are helpful for getting you through the early worlds.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Lookit Light on Mar 7, 2019 wrote:
Blame me. I am the one who brought up P101

Anecorbie is an innocent bystander.

S Gs

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Well, to keep on topic; what do you expect from a minion? Do you expect them to be as strong and powerful as you? To hit as hard, to give you buffs? Of course not, they weren't designed for that!
However I will say I found Morduit quite useful through most of Avalon, I just had to keep an eye on her choices - only then would I choose mine.

My myth wizard liked her cyclopes minion and now uses Talos often. In any case I use consider using minions as a distraction for the boss/mobs. At least they aren't concentrating all their attacks on me!

If you want something as powerful as you, then just hire a henchman.