Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Minion Spell Modifications/Buffs

AuthorMessage
Defender
Mar 08, 2011
As everyone knows, minions are incredibly difficult to use, but that's a broader topic than what I'm going for.

What I'm specifically talking about are the spells 'Draw Power' and 'Siphon Health'.
As of now, Draw Power costs 1 pip and a minion sacrifice (so two turns if you intentionally do this) while Siphon Health costs a pip and a minion as well (also possibly two turns).

The problem with this is that at a certain point, all your pips are power pips, so using 2 pips to gain 2 less compact pips is objectively not worth the time and effort. This should be bumped up to 3 or 4 pips, or at least upgradable/trainable.

As for Siphon Health, it should be bumped up to 600ish healing and perhaps be myth's main heals. Storm has Electric Current, Life has most its spells, Death self heals, Balance has helping hands, which just leaves fire and Myth. I think needing to have a minion out and then sacrifice it should be enough of a cost to get a decent chunk of health. Going through all that effort for essentially a fairy is just silly.

Overall these buffs could make minions a lot more viable, along with some AI tweaking of coarse.

Thoughts?

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
I don't disagree that minion usage is really weird to use effectively beyond about 1st level. Ok, that's quite sarcastic, but the point remains that they only serve a purpose at lower levels for the most part. While Monstrology CAN be a replacement, it does NOTHING to address this issue. I'll propose a different method:

The minion manipulation cards should work like sun school enchants. You place the effect card you want to use on the minion. You cast the spell. The minion gets cast, and then the effect takes place the SAME ROUND. The minion explodes and gives you the effect you're looking for. Now, it becomes a 1 round solution instead of 2. In order to fix the pip granting spell, Draw Power, when you get new pips, it should always take advantage of your power pip percent. This way, you have a good chance of getting power pips back. OBVIOUSLY this would have to be weighed properly so that it doesnt blow up pvp, so maybe making this PvE only would be a good idea. I doubt the monsters will complain too much. if they do..... well, let's just say I'm editing my own post lol Fill in the blank with what you want, but not on this forum lol

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Instead of minions that are summoned by spells, I would propose this.

At level 'X' your wizard gets a minion. Instead of a summoning spell, this minion is your companion through thick and thin (like your P101 crew) and automatically joins battles. This minion levels up as you do (like your P101 crew). It learns new spells and gains new abilities (like your P101 crew). It's health and mana increase as it levels up (like your P101 crew).

This solves the problem of a minion being near useless beyond the world that you got him.

The Ghoststalker Bros.
Steven 130
Christopher 35

Defender
Mar 08, 2011
dayerider on Jan 11, 2019 wrote:
I don't disagree that minion usage is really weird to use effectively beyond about 1st level. Ok, that's quite sarcastic, but the point remains that they only serve a purpose at lower levels for the most part. While Monstrology CAN be a replacement, it does NOTHING to address this issue. I'll propose a different method:

The minion manipulation cards should work like sun school enchants. You place the effect card you want to use on the minion. You cast the spell. The minion gets cast, and then the effect takes place the SAME ROUND. The minion explodes and gives you the effect you're looking for. Now, it becomes a 1 round solution instead of 2. In order to fix the pip granting spell, Draw Power, when you get new pips, it should always take advantage of your power pip percent. This way, you have a good chance of getting power pips back. OBVIOUSLY this would have to be weighed properly so that it doesnt blow up pvp, so maybe making this PvE only would be a good idea. I doubt the monsters will complain too much. if they do..... well, let's just say I'm editing my own post lol Fill in the blank with what you want, but not on this forum lol
The thing is that most minions are not worth doing this. At high levels I basically just sacrifice baba yaga minions, and only wooden puppet would be worth this really. I could see a sun spell like thing where it gives you the health and or pips on that minion's death, or when you decide to activate the spell. It would be like detonate. As for the pips, if they made that a 0 pip spell that could be a good solution. I still think the health needs to be buffed as it could be a creative way to give myth heals.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Bigboss1029 on Jan 12, 2019 wrote:
The thing is that most minions are not worth doing this. At high levels I basically just sacrifice baba yaga minions, and only wooden puppet would be worth this really. I could see a sun spell like thing where it gives you the health and or pips on that minion's death, or when you decide to activate the spell. It would be like detonate. As for the pips, if they made that a 0 pip spell that could be a good solution. I still think the health needs to be buffed as it could be a creative way to give myth heals.
that's why Im suggesting a sun enchant type of thing, with a 1 round action. Enchant the minion, summon it, AND have it sacrifice itself all in one round. If that's not an option, then have it happen BEFORE any other moves in the immediate round after, like cheats do with monsters. This way, BEFORE any other action can be taken, the heal goes through in full. Perhaps make this a benefit of myth wizards where it's summoned and die in the same round, but for non-myth, it happens the beginning of the next round regardles of who goes first.