Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pet for life

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 10, 2017
Well, I can get a crown pet if I want, I am low level and get pummled in almost every fight. I have seen that I should get a bird, but said bird comes from a level 118 quest? I have a unicorn pet right now, just finding it hard to get the snacks to train her. I don't want to be a dps life, I just do not want to feel like I am attacking a sherman tank with a toothpick.

I did look at the hatching thing for the bird, but it is like 50k to breed it with my unicorn, assuming I would even get the bird.

I am having far far more fun with the life wizard then I did with the death. It just gels better with me. I know, priest is not for tank, or dps, but I want to be just a wee bit less pathetic, maybe be able to defend myself? I have done collosus blvd, finishing up triton and getting ready to hit up firecat and then goto winter street. I honestly do not think I will survive the dual enemies there in my noobness.

I could buy the farm house and grow my own snacks I guess.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
In my opinion, the bird, known as the Kookabura, should not even be available in Hatchmaking. It's far too OP for low-level wizards. School-specific pets should either be banned from Hatchmaking or locked until you reach it's requirements.

That may be a bit disappointing for you, Malisalara, so I'll tell you something else. There are several pets in hatchmaking; you just need one that fits your style well and is affordable. Also, if you try hard enough, pets will sometimes drop from bosses, even Crowns pets! If you're ever looking for a specific pet to farm for, check their page over on Wizard101 Central, and see what bosses drop them.

Hope this helps!

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Let's talk.

Firstly, as you mentioned, is a fun, very soothing and calm school to play. Just the spells you use emphasize what the school is all about with the added bonus of hardly fizzling.

Now, about your pet. I'm guessing the pet unicorn you have is the Pedigree 27 - 29 one you bought there in Wizard City?

Well, as I'm sure you've already found out, it's not a very good one. You will need to hatch to update/upgrade your pet. Now, you've already done one of the preliminary steps by viewing the Hatching Kiosk. Yes, most pet hatches range from about 45,000 - 50,000 gold pieces; very difficult to come by during your early levels; not impossible though!

So, this is what I suggest you do.

If you want to hatch now, then I suggest continuing to quest while selling drops to the Bazaar. You'll have to be a bit patient here.

Or, if you can wait a little, do what you suggested and begin Gardening. Of course, you'll also need gold to buy gardening spells to tend to your Garden.

Also about your play style. Try the following:

Gear - At this point, I'm thinking you're a journeyman level or late initiate? Well upgrade your gear (all of it including wands and jewelry) by purchasing it from the Bazaar. Try doing this every five levels. Level 15, then 20, 25 etc.

Deck - Remember not to really overshadow your deck too much. Spells such as Imp and Minor Blessing doesn't need to be in your deck. Instead use Life Traps (from secret trainer in Colossus Blvd), Leprechaun, Nature's Wraith and a shield or two along with Pixie.

Second School - What's your second school? It is highly advisable that you begin training in ideally first until you learn Tower Shield. The reason I suggest this is that the school will give you defenses against elemental spells, something you currently lack. Visit to feint when you're done.

You will eventually get the hang of how the school and the game works; post if you've more queries.

Good Luck!

Survivor
Dec 10, 2017
I just made level 11. I got a robe hat and little dagger from the bazar and ran out of money. I can't use the insane overpowered cryptkeeper dagger my death could use but I have like 900 hp and 100 or so mp. I have started to train the unicorn because, supposedly, her strength, etc affects my skills to. It is just insanely boring to knock over the castle or do ddr 500 times at 1 xp a play to level her. I don't want to waste the time doing it if I am just going to dump her later.

As for the cards you said shouldn't be in my deck, they are there simply because I have nothing to replace them with. I know I should get friends to play my life wizard with, but while people on the forums, such as yourselves, are helpful, nice people, the ones in game seem less so. If they do not just ignore you outright. I understand they are longtime players, and are probably bored of the content, but I have not seen it and want to read the dialog, see what happens to people. That means I get to play alone, or simply skip over everything.

I do not want stuff just given to me, as some of the people in the commons accuse me of when I ask questions. You know that old line about giving a man a fish. Someday I will be that archmage life wizard saving you from the evil death creature from heck, but I have to learn how first.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Hiya

Hatching good pets will cost around 50k - 60k. It's a lot of gold for low level wizards to find but maybe you have higher levels who could pass you things to sell? We can pass things through the shared bank

If you only have lower level wizard atm, fishing is a good way to get gold and gardening too. It will take a while to build a garden and investing the gold you get from questing will help. Stink weed is available from the bazaar and a good way to get gold and TC to sell. Prickly Bear Cactus is a source of snacks, this is available from the bazaar or the gardening dude in the Oasis (Krokotopia). These can be helpful until you get Couch Potatoes and Evil Magma Peas etc.

The best way to improve your pet is to hatch multiple times, training the baby to adult in between and using it for the next hatch. If you find a nice pet in the kiosk keep hatching with it each time so you can get the stats and pool. It will take a lot of snacks and a lot of gold, but you don't need to do it all at once and it is worth it. Making pets is a process and not something we do quickly...though it will become easier when you have more resources available.

What kind of talents are you looking for? Maycast heals? Outgoing heal boosts? Damage boosts? Resists? I have a lot of nice pets that can help a life wizard and I am happy to share them with you. If I know what kind of thing you're looking for when you have the resources to hatch I can put something into the kiosk so you can find it easily.

Survivor
Dec 10, 2017
I just want to shore up my weak damage a bit. I just got done with firecat alley and am now 12. I will do winter street tonight and then head to egypt.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Malisalara on Jan 4, 2019 wrote:
I just made level 11. I got a robe hat and little dagger from the bazar and ran out of money. I can't use the insane overpowered cryptkeeper dagger my death could use but I have like 900 hp and 100 or so mp. I have started to train the unicorn because, supposedly, her strength, etc affects my skills to. It is just insanely boring to knock over the castle or do ddr 500 times at 1 xp a play to level her. I don't want to waste the time doing it if I am just going to dump her later.

As for the cards you said shouldn't be in my deck, they are there simply because I have nothing to replace them with. I know I should get friends to play my life wizard with, but while people on the forums, such as yourselves, are helpful, nice people, the ones in game seem less so. If they do not just ignore you outright. I understand they are longtime players, and are probably bored of the content, but I have not seen it and want to read the dialog, see what happens to people. That means I get to play alone, or simply skip over everything.

I do not want stuff just given to me, as some of the people in the commons accuse me of when I ask questions. You know that old line about giving a man a fish. Someday I will be that archmage life wizard saving you from the evil death creature from heck, but I have to learn how first.
This is why we welcome new comers, practically anyone to the Message Boards.

No question is too "stupid" or nonsensical for us to answer; we welcome all thoughts, queries and opinions.

It's sad that this is not too reciprocated within the community as much of Wizards, but just know and understand that we've got your back here on the Forums!

Now, since you're still an initiate, you don't have to worry too much about "power" right now. Remember that your school is focused on the healing and power pips % aspect. So your gear will tend to have higher health and will cater towards more of the defensive stats until you've leveled quite a bit.

So, for now, I don't suggest you worry so much about gear, but rather, try begin doing side activities such as Crafting and Gardening. These will be really beneficial for you later down.

Again, if you need assistance here, just let us know.

We're here to help!