Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

New stat idea: dodge!

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
Since damage has gotten higher up, I think it would be cool to have a new stat to help you and also to offset the accuracy stat. Dodge is a stat just like any other, except it reduces accuracy of incoming enemy spells, contrary to the accuracy stat, so let's say that an enemy from the school of life attempts to cast centaur on you, but you have 15% life dodge. The centaur has a base of 90% accuracy, so the dodge reduces that by its value, so that would bring the centaur down to only having a 75% chance of being cast and not fizzling. However, if that opponent had a 3% accuracy buff, that would reduce the value of the dodge (and vice versa if the accuracy is stronger than target's dodge), and the centaur would then have a 78% chance of hitting. So what does everybody think?

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
The calculations are too muddled and complicated. What happens when he casts an AOE attack against 4 opponents with all different dodges? It fizzles against some but not others? What about pips on partial fizzles? A fizzle uses no pips, so it would seem unfair to use all the pips if your AOE only hits some.

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
From a pvp perspective considering how high accuracy is at exalted and prodigious, dodge doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Champion
Jan 25, 2015
So would the spell animation be different if you dodge successfully... like instead of the centaur's arrow hitting you it'll go in another's direction once He's shot it?

Champion
Mar 25, 2011
Ooo, very intriguing concept.

Negative dueling talents.

Ah, wow there are so many possibilities, but the accuracy decrease talent sounds pretty neat! Accuracy is one of the most overlooked statistics at higher levels as well.

Nice! I'm a little worn out to brainstorm at the moment but I'll leave that to the wizard theorists out there in the Spiral.

See you in the game.

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
*pirate101* that's where ths iis from with the accuracy dogde thing.... so Kingsisles already has practice in this category, ad to put it more.... ya could place it with stun resist, and how that stat works... wiith aoe

Survivor
Nov 30, 2009
Pirate101 has dodge and it works well. But I wonder how it would work on wizard101... the calculations are complicated already without it, so I do not know if it would work well on it.

Geographer
Apr 29, 2012
The problem with this is that in Pirate101, accuracy is decided after animation and when the enemy is hit/not hit. Therefore the accuracy/dodge calculation takes place at the same time, at the end of the move. But in Wizard101, accuracy is decided before animation. But a dodge calculation would have to take place post-animation and that would mean you'd just be wasting your own time and that of everyone else present if the animation misses. And seethe brought up a very important point that, in an AoE, some attacks would fizzle and some would not. This stat addition would require new hit/miss animations for every spell in-game, and add a lot of time and effort to KI's workload for rather little payoff.

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
mix it with the stun block.... just have it randomly say "dodge" and move keeps going.. like it does with stun block, and critical block

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
camahawk on Nov 3, 2016 wrote:
mix it with the stun block.... just have it randomly say "dodge" and move keeps going.. like it does with stun block, and critical block
That's worse than a fizzle. With a fizzle you keep your pips. A blocked stun or critical costs the caster nothing.

Survivor
Sep 05, 2013
That's like having a 100% non piercing shield. I feel bad for the guy with all those wasted blades in 1v1 combat. I can imagine ice being more scarier than ever. A dodging jade, or, you get where I'm coming from right??? Thinking, about the dodge in general stat for Wizard101 is not going to sound so swell (or workout swell). I mean that's just not how Wizard101 is setup, Pirate101 is different. Pirate101 players don't cast all these blades on their selves and use them, then suddenly the guy is like "sike! I just dodged a FFA!) You see where I'm coming from? I mean even a multi hit attack, any attack. In Wizard101, accuracy prevents you from fizzling, lets not take it any further than that. I'm just going to be happy, I'll actually cast the spell, I don't want to frown upon actually casting it for the enemy to dodge it. Talk about the new players, "Sweet! I finally didn't fizzle for once!" -dodge- We all know new players don't have accuracy, even if dodge wasn't introduced until they were a higher level... Let's just say, dodge isn't going to workout. If you get hit, you either take it, or you admit defeat. Unless someone is there to revive you. Regardless if this is PvE or PvP.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
TheLegendaryPyroma... on Nov 3, 2016 wrote:
That's like having a 100% non piercing shield. I feel bad for the guy with all those wasted blades in 1v1 combat. I can imagine ice being more scarier than ever. A dodging jade, or, you get where I'm coming from right??? Thinking, about the dodge in general stat for Wizard101 is not going to sound so swell (or workout swell). I mean that's just not how Wizard101 is setup, Pirate101 is different. Pirate101 players don't cast all these blades on their selves and use them, then suddenly the guy is like "sike! I just dodged a FFA!) You see where I'm coming from? I mean even a multi hit attack, any attack. In Wizard101, accuracy prevents you from fizzling, lets not take it any further than that. I'm just going to be happy, I'll actually cast the spell, I don't want to frown upon actually casting it for the enemy to dodge it. Talk about the new players, "Sweet! I finally didn't fizzle for once!" -dodge- We all know new players don't have accuracy, even if dodge wasn't introduced until they were a higher level... Let's just say, dodge isn't going to workout. If you get hit, you either take it, or you admit defeat. Unless someone is there to revive you. Regardless if this is PvE or PvP.
Yes, the wasted blades would be quite infuriating. Reason being is because I agree with others, a dodge shouldn't cause a spell to fizzle. A dodge is avoiding an action, so the spell actually has to be cast in order for you to dodge it.

The reason reducing accuracy and causing a fizzle doesn't work is because of, as people have brought up, AOE spells. If you've got a four player group, who's dodge rating affects the spell? Is it the person in the first spot? Is it the person with the highest dodge rating? Is it cumulative of every player?

I do like the idea, I just don't know how plausible it would be as a universally applicable stat. This game just isn't designed to accommodate such an ability. It would require an entire overhaul of the combat system. We have dispels and accuracy reducing spells to cause or increase the chances of fizzles. That's this combat system's version of a dodge.