Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Frame Rate Lowered After New Update

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 08, 2014
I just finished azteca (with the lag ) but after finishing it I noticed the lag got worse and honestly its almost unplayable. I hope wizard101 fixes this as soon as possible.

Survivor
Dec 30, 2011
I'm also having the low frame rate problem. Unfortunately I upgraded to windows 10 build 1607 just before downloading the summer update, so I can't say that it is definitely a problem with one or the other (although according to other posters, rolling back the windows build doesn't fix the problem anyway).

A couple more tidbits of info:
The game runs fine on my older (and slower) Win 7 professional computer, which sits right next to my Win 10 box.
And Pirates 101 runs fine on both machines.

Survivor
Nov 28, 2010
I have a gtx970, 32gb of ddr3 ram, and an fx8370 an dI am getting 2-5 fps.

Survivor
Feb 23, 2009
Same here! Actually just tried to put a thread about it, since I didn't see this here.

GPU: Dual 980 Ti Hybrids

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.5Ghz

It's a bummer, I'm getting 10 frames or less! And I just got a membership too and can't play!

Survivor
Oct 26, 2013
I'm having the same issues. Have tried uninstalling wiz and reinstalling. Uninstalled window update, but it reinstalls with reboot. My computer is having no other issues aside from wiz. The kids have steam games that all(the ones they play regularly anyhow) still work too. Pretty bummed about it. Had been really excited about the new updates :( Still am though, I have confidence that wiz will get it going smoothly again. Would be nice if they went in and made sure that my garden doesn't die. And that they don't do gardening rewards until after it's fixed. I've been sitting on 9 elder emps hoping to double them up with rewards :D

Survivor
Sep 10, 2013
I did the Wizard update in the morning and everything was fine until I did the Windows update in the afternoon then I had horrible lag. So I know its the Windows update the caused the problem.

Survivor
Jun 16, 2009
Definitely a game breaking issue. I updated my windows 10 to the lastest update and the issues started immediately. My system is more than capable of playing the game since Wizard 101 is not a demanding game. Extreme lag. I can't even move reliability.

System Specs:
X79 3930K with dual GTX 1080's in SLI.

I started this game with my kids and have continued to play even though they don't. :)

Please do what you can to expedite a fix. I would imagine a fairly large portion of your player base is having this issue.

Thanks

Survivor
Nov 13, 2012
to update, I checked again this morning and found that it is slightly better than yesterday but is still running far to slow.

Geographer
Jun 06, 2008
Hi! I just wanted to confirm what others are saying. We are working on a fix to the lag being caused by the Windows 10 anniversary update and hope to have a fix implemented sometime in the coming week. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Survivor
Aug 15, 2008
Add me to the list of unplayable machines. I get 6-8FPs in game in Wiz101 since the update.
Just as a comparison - I get at least 144+FPS (vsync) in Pirate101 right now.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled both Wiz101 and my NVidia drivers.

==================
Computer:
Computer Type ACPI x64-based PC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 10.0.14393.10
DirectX DirectX 12.0

Motherboard:
CPU Type OctalCore Intel Core i7-5960X Extreme Edition, 3885 MHz (40 x 97)
Motherboard Name Asus Rampage V Extreme
Motherboard Chipset Intel Wellsburg X99, Intel Haswell-E
System Memory 16256 MB (DDR4-2133 DDR4 SDRAM)
DIMM-A1: G Skill F4-2800C16-4GRK 4 GB DDR4-2133 DDR4 SDRAM
DIMM-B1: G Skill F4-2800C16-4GRK 4 GB DDR4-2133 DDR4 SDRAM
DIMM-C1: G Skill F4-2800C16-4GRK 4 GB DDR4-2133 DDR4 SDRAM
DIMM-D1: G Skill F4-2800C16-4GRK 4 GB DDR4-2133 DDR4 SDRAM
BIOS Type AMI (02/01/2016)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 (4 GB)
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 (4 GB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
Monitor Asus ROG PG279Q [27" LCD] (#ASNtkrMXJiXd)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Creative CA0132 @ Creative SB Recon3D PCIe Audio Controller
Audio Adapter nVIDIA HDMI/DP @ nVIDIA GM204 - High Definition Audio Controller
Audio Adapter nVIDIA HDMI/DP @ nVIDIA GM204 - High Definition Audio Controller

Survivor
May 05, 2013
Thanks for the update Dworgyn! :D thank "gosh."

Survivor
Feb 28, 2009
To get a quick fix, uninstall the windows 10 update and then reinstall it after kingisle fixes it. That's what I did and the game is working smoothly now

Survivor
Apr 29, 2009
I also have this problem and I only have 7 days left on my membership and I want to finish my side quest I just got

Survivor
Jan 23, 2010
I installed my graphics card's overclock utility which has a GPU "speedometer" and can confirm that the game renders in software, not hardware, after the win update. Confirmed on two very different systems.

Rolling back the update is easy, pretty quick, and "fixes" the problem.
But, the update will try to reinstall the next time you do a windows update.

KI, please notify us when the fix is packaged in a Wiz update so we can turn loose the win update. Thanks.

Charles Wyrmrider et. al.

Survivor
Feb 19, 2012
I'm not sure if this is pertinent or not, but while I'm waiting for KI to fix this, I started playing the free version of Pirate101 - that game does not seem to have the same problem as Wizard101 - I just wonder if maybe the KI developers could find out why Pirate101 works, but Wizard101 doesn't....?

Geographer
Jun 06, 2008
Paul L on Aug 9, 2016 wrote:
I'm not sure if this is pertinent or not, but while I'm waiting for KI to fix this, I started playing the free version of Pirate101 - that game does not seem to have the same problem as Wizard101 - I just wonder if maybe the KI developers could find out why Pirate101 works, but Wizard101 doesn't....?
While the games are similar, there are several differences in the base code. A change was made to fix a unique issue in Wizard101 several months ago, which created a kind of perfect storm juxtapose the new changes in Windows 10, and this created severe lag in Wizard101.

Hopefully we'll have a fix in place early tomorrow morning.

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
Dworgyn on Aug 9, 2016 wrote:
While the games are similar, there are several differences in the base code. A change was made to fix a unique issue in Wizard101 several months ago, which created a kind of perfect storm juxtapose the new changes in Windows 10, and this created severe lag in Wizard101.

Hopefully we'll have a fix in place early tomorrow morning.
Thank you for the update, Dworgyn.

Survivor
Sep 10, 2013
Uninstalling the update did not work for me, I had to do a roll back to a prier Windows build. I can't seem to find that option now so maybe its only there after there is a Build update?

Survivor
Jul 21, 2011
Thank you, I JUST purchased a bundle so I was super happy to hear this
about to hit lvl 90 also, so thanks

Defender
Jul 16, 2014
Just FYI Dworgan Windows just did another cumulative update just now as of 8/9/16 so hope this does not break the fix you guys are coming up with. Got to love MS and their timing.

Survivor
Jan 23, 2010
daniel t on Aug 9, 2016 wrote:
Uninstalling the update did not work for me, I had to do a roll back to a prier Windows build. I can't seem to find that option now so maybe its only there after there is a Build update?
Yes, the Windows 10 Anniversary Update is a new build. Basically a new operating system.
It's the first Windows 10 build update, so it's the only one that shows. Once you roll it back there won't be any priors to list.

Survivor
Sep 01, 2014
Thank you Dworgyn for keeping us up to date on this issue. I can confirm that the game is playable again on my system running the Windows 10 update.

Survivor
Feb 19, 2012
Thank you Dworgyn & KI staff. The fix works perfectly! You never know how much you miss this game until you can't play it. Pirate101 is a poor substitute, so I'm happy to be able to use my Wizards again. Happy gaming everyone!

Survivor
Feb 23, 2009
Confirming everything is now running smoothly. Thank you!

Survivor
Sep 10, 2013
So the Windows build 1607 and Wizard 101 play nice together now?