Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Help, need to hide cantrip wand

AuthorMessage
Delver
Mar 30, 2014
I'm already regretting that I even did the basic cantrips quest because now I've got this wand right next to my book which I keep accidentally hitting when I'm trying to open my book. I used a few of the spells, I don't think it's anything I would want to do much, and I don't want it cluttering up my interface and causing endless mis-clicks. Please give us an option in our book to hide the cantrip wand.

Defender
Jan 16, 2010
I keep doing this too, LOL.

I think it might be better served to move the cantrip wand over by our health and mana bottles. Not near the pet icon, but somewhere where we won't accidentally hit it when we're trying to get into our spell books.

Delver
Mar 30, 2014
I don't want the cantrip wand moved, I want it hidden. I'm accidentally opening it several times per hour. Super-annoying. Maybe someday I will find a chest and want to use cantrips to open it. Other than that, I don't expect to use it. I use menu chat far more often than that, and we have the option to hide that. There is no reason for this to be messing up any part of my interface.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
I'll be honest, I like it where it is and if anything would say make it larger or add in a keyboard shortcut.

If they add a hide option that's fine, but it's not a priority for me. Fishing, Gardening and Housing Icons also appear after you have accepted the quest. They could also be hidden if that's a thing people want.

I always use keyboard shortcuts. (B for Backpack etc.)

Explorer
Jun 16, 2010
I have to agree with most of these issues, I understand how this could be upsetting.

I however believe we could put the cantrip wand on the left side of the screen, more like how we have the little pet icon.

There is a perfect sized opening between our health orb and the Pet Play button for you to place the cantrip wand!

I feel like it would make more sense here, considering its energy based, much like pet play, rather than energy based like our Spot Markers on the Compass Side!

This would solve issues of miss clicking on the book! However, I do recommend using your keyboard shortcuts to open your book rather than mouse clicking on it! Its just way faster!

Hope this helps!

Delver
Mar 30, 2014
To those of you who are saying this isn't a problem because I should just use the keyboard to open my book, firstly, I've been using my mouse for many years and that has been working just fine for me up until now.

But secondly, I don't even understand how using the keyboard to open the book would work? Once you've opened your book, how do you use the keyboard to navigate it and select all the things you want to do? That seems clunky. I'd probably accidentally trash important stuff. I need to use my mouse to select things in my book. And moving my hand from my mouse to my keyboard to open my book and back to the mouse to use my book isn't faster. There is a good reason why graphical user interfaces were invented and have been so widely adopted.

And thirdly, moving the icon to the other corner is not a solution. I've said that I'm hardly ever going to be using it. I don't want to be accidentally clicking on it no matter where it is on my screen. I run wiz in windowed format and I often click on odd corners of the window to bring it to the front. I don't understand why other players seem determined to keep it on my screen. It's my screen, not yours. If I hide it on my screen that doesn't affect you. If you insist to KI that it doesn't need to be hidden, that messes me up. It's also extremely odd that you are determined that the graphical interface for cantrips remain on my screen while telling me I should not even be using the graphical interface for my book on my screen.

Can't we just hide the cantrip wand?

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
sword tree on May 2, 2022 wrote:
To those of you who are saying this isn't a problem because I should just use the keyboard to open my book, firstly, I've been using my mouse for many years and that has been working just fine for me up until now.

But secondly, I don't even understand how using the keyboard to open the book would work? Once you've opened your book, how do you use the keyboard to navigate it and select all the things you want to do? That seems clunky. I'd probably accidentally trash important stuff. I need to use my mouse to select things in my book. And moving my hand from my mouse to my keyboard to open my book and back to the mouse to use my book isn't faster. There is a good reason why graphical user interfaces were invented and have been so widely adopted.

And thirdly, moving the icon to the other corner is not a solution. I've said that I'm hardly ever going to be using it. I don't want to be accidentally clicking on it no matter where it is on my screen. I run wiz in windowed format and I often click on odd corners of the window to bring it to the front. I don't understand why other players seem determined to keep it on my screen. It's my screen, not yours. If I hide it on my screen that doesn't affect you. If you insist to KI that it doesn't need to be hidden, that messes me up. It's also extremely odd that you are determined that the graphical interface for cantrips remain on my screen while telling me I should not even be using the graphical interface for my book on my screen.

Can't we just hide the cantrip wand?
You don't/can't use the keyboard to control all of the functions. They are just keyboard shortcuts (this isn't command prompt for Linux in Wizard101) Press B and it takes you straight to your backpack, C for Character Stats, P for spells etc. You still use your mouse to manipulate/view items. You don't have to use the tabs alongside the side of your book to navigate to different pages, but you still can. My point is you can use keyboard shortcuts to bypass this issue in the interim. AKA avoid mis-clicks.

I said "If they add a hide option that's fine, but it's not a priority for me.Fishing, Gardening and Housing Icons also appear after you have accepted the quest. They could also be hidden if that's a thing people want."

It's not that we are "insisting to KI that this isn't a need to mess you up." I'm offering other suggestions that I feel would also be useful (allowing us to change the size, other people want to move it. Having an option to remove Gardening/Fishing Popups.-there already exists an option to hide chat features and Tool Tips).

People are just offering ideas and building off your initial idea (and offering solutions with current in-game tools). Please don't think they are here to attack you.

Delver
Mar 30, 2014
Just in case someone at KI thinks by now I must surely be used to this cantrip wand, I'm not. I'm still constantly misclicking on the cantrip wand when I try to open my book even though I'm trying to avoid it. Can hiding the cantrip wand be a priority?

"I like it where it is and if anything would say make it larger". This would make the problem I'm asking for help with even worse.

Squire
Apr 18, 2013
I've occasionally scrolled to click on Friends list and accidentally clicked the X and closed the game. That's far worse.

What is being said about hotkeys is true, It's easier to press B, V, Y, etc. How do you harvest your gardens? Do you press X to harvest or use the mouse? Same question for opening chests.

Delver
Mar 30, 2014
Once again, I'm being told to just use keyboard shortcuts by yet another person who simply cannot imagine that I actually cannot type as well as they can.

I've said many times that keyboard shortcuts do not work well for me. As a matter of fact I am constantly accidentally opening my book when I'm trying to type X or r to reply to friends and that is also a big problem for me.

KI can you also give us the option to turn off individual keyboard shortcuts that we do not use? That would be very helpful.

KI will you please ignore the people who are telling me this problem can be solved by just using keyboard shortcuts? I really need to be able to hide the wand icon.

Survivor
Jun 16, 2012
I'll add my two cents to this conversation. I think hide on wand would be good. If not hide, get the thing away from the teleport to mark button. I have enough trouble at times accidently hitting that button when I reach for the spell book. The current location is too close. Another idea is move the wand to top of book and position horizontally so it doesn't conflict with house gardening and place item (attic) buttons.

Squire
Apr 18, 2013
sword tree on May 12, 2022 wrote:
Once again, I'm being told to just use keyboard shortcuts by yet another person who simply cannot imagine that I actually cannot type as well as they can.

I've said many times that keyboard shortcuts do not work well for me. As a matter of fact I am constantly accidentally opening my book when I'm trying to type X or r to reply to friends and that is also a big problem for me.

KI can you also give us the option to turn off individual keyboard shortcuts that we do not use? That would be very helpful.

KI will you please ignore the people who are telling me this problem can be solved by just using keyboard shortcuts? I really need to be able to hide the wand icon.
Firstly, I am not just another person. For I am He. He who has the best interest of all involved. Please do not assume that I assumed anything. You said in your previous reply here, and I quote, "I don't even understand how using the keyboard to open the book would work? Once you've opened your book, how do you use the keyboard to navigate it and select all the things you want to do? That seems clunky. I'd probably accidentally trash important stuff. ..."
So, based on what you said, it appears you may have not given hotkeys as much a chance. That is why I asked how you harvest your gardens (assuming lol you have any) and open chests. Perhaps you created this Topic a long time ago for gardening and opening chests being a burden.

On another note, if using the keyboard is an issue, and using the mouse is an issue, What on earth do you do about the 5 tiny icons next to the spellbook? How do you do the following? Go to the Commons / Go Home / Mark Location / Teleport to Marked Location / and use the compass above it? Better yet, how do you avoid clicking on those?

I have said before, a far worse issue is when you try to click your Friends List and the mouse jumps and you unintentionally Close the game. A second worse issue has been accidentally clicking on a potion. Have you ever done any of these by mistake?

One more thing, please do not assume that I or anyone is better than you. We're not. I'm currently dealing with a sanction KI put onto me due to a typo caused by the game lagging and keyboard messing up what I typed in game. Is there an issue with your hands or coordination?

Delver
Mar 30, 2014
I said in my last post "I am constantly accidentally opening my book when I'm trying to type X or r to reply to friends and that is also a big problem for me." Responding "it appears you may have not given hotkeys as much a chance" is not at all helpful. How many years must I use them for? It's been quite a few and it's not gotten any better. I'm not going to discuss this any further.

I don't know why posters keep asking me to justify my use of the graphical interface that KI provides and now are asking a bunch of questions that seem irrelevant to me along with intrusive personal questions about my physical health. Other people have also expressed that they are having trouble with the wand in this position. I just want KI to allow us to customize the interface.

My point about navigating the backpack was exactly that. I'm going to use the mouse anyhow to navigate it, I also want to use the mouse to open it. It has always worked well enough for me until now.

Those other small icons are much farther away from the book and are not activated when I have my wand fully on the book in a position that formerly opened my book but now opens cantrips. Why am I being asked about those icons? Using the mouse for those was not "an issue". Did I say that? No, I didn't. Now you are putting words in my mouth.

"Perhaps you created this Topic a long time ago for gardening and opening chests being a burden". Huh?? No, I didn't. Now you are just making stuff up about me. I asked in my last post a few days ago on this thread to customize that interface as well, because yes, I do often accidentally press the wrong hotkey for stuff like that. I usually just use the mouse unless I'm doing a lot of harvesting and can pause to make sure I press the right key and my finger stays on it since I am pressing it repeatedly. This is very different than opening the book when I am doing other things with my hands in between those key presses.

Have I ever closed the window by mistake when trying to open my friends list? I don' t understand why that is relevant to this discussion. Maybe a few times in years of play? That's what computer windows have, an X in the corner to close them, and if you click outside the game it can happen. It's happened more often when I tried to move or switch to the window. I've also accidentally closed my browser sometimes. So I shouldn't play wiz in window format or use windows at all or use my browser or what even is your point here?

Yes, I have accidentally clicked potions. It happens most often when I'm trying to adjust the position of my text box. That is why I don't want the cantrip wand simply moved to that part of the screen, I want it hidden. Your point?

"I'm currently dealing with a sanction KI put onto me due to a typo caused by the game lagging and keyboard messing up what I typed in game." I don't need some unusual hardware failure to get sanctions. Getting a sanction from a rare hardware failure is bad? Closing the game accidentally maybe a few times ever is bad? No, what's bad is getting banned from all the typos I'd make trying to use hotkeys.

You say you want to be helpful but I feel like I'm being harassed here.