Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Change Frost Giant and Snow Angel

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 02, 2016
Remove the stun from Frost Giant and increase the damage to at least 620. Snow Angel should get Frost Giants stun instead and the damage should stay the same since the spell is already too weak as is. I base my reasoning on how Wiz changed Ra and Power Nova in a similar way that I just expressed.

Survivor
Feb 11, 2011
I can agree with this. Ice's frost giant is even less viable that it was before Summer's spell test realm, making him even weaker than before. I think it was around 490 damage. So removing his stun and granting his spells current d.p.p. (damage per pip). would be fair.

Just so others are aware, secondary actions are part of the pip cost. So Frost giant is actually a 5-pip aoe with a 2-pip stun all. So 415 upped to 460 because the damage per pip is divided from 5 rather than 7.

His pip cost currently through the spell is 92 d.p.p. making 460, and the other 2 pips are his stun.

If you want to remove his stun and replace into a full damage hit. Going off of 92 d.p.p. would be better. Making it fairer at around 640.

Because Life and Ice have closely correlating d.p.p. Having them near would be a good call. Making Ice unique would be nice by keeping frost giant a single damage number, rather than an area his damage can lie in.

I would agree adding the stun to snow angel would be better. Maybe even adding a smaller version of his overtime would still be nice but may be overboard.

Snow angel could add a stun and then a 500 overtime for 3 rounds, excluding his first hit of 35. Acting like an ice version of Fire's scald spell with a stun.

Defender
Mar 02, 2009
Ice is suffering hardcore in the aoe department until Polaris. Frost Giant was nerfed for really no reason- it was 475 and a stun (still the weakest 7 pip AoE by 100+, not including the drain effect of Scarecrow), so nerfing it down when every other 7 pip hit was buffed (Orthrus and Forest Lord particularly benefiting) is ludicrous to me.

Combined with the effective Iceblade nerf, a Frost Giant with a regular and sharpened Iceblade used to do 998 damage. The new Frost Giant with a sharpened and regular Iceblade? 900. That's nearly 100 damage less, not including the damage difference when you add the damage buff.

Perhaps this difference would feel less grating if Storm Lord did not have a stun effect (one that doesn't fit thematically or with Storm's identity). In fact, I'd even go further- give Power Nova its Weakness back (or change it to a Bladestorm, if you ask me), change Storm Lord to flat damage, AND make Orthrus a 50+650 aoe again, giving that one back its flavor. The 7 pip aoe spells are meant to be representative of each school's distinct nature. Why are Storm and Ice- the most aggressive and most defensive -schools the same effect?

Survivor
Jun 18, 2009
rtdv on Apr 26, 2022 wrote:
Ice is suffering hardcore in the aoe department until Polaris. Frost Giant was nerfed for really no reason- it was 475 and a stun (still the weakest 7 pip AoE by 100+, not including the drain effect of Scarecrow), so nerfing it down when every other 7 pip hit was buffed (Orthrus and Forest Lord particularly benefiting) is ludicrous to me.

Combined with the effective Iceblade nerf, a Frost Giant with a regular and sharpened Iceblade used to do 998 damage. The new Frost Giant with a sharpened and regular Iceblade? 900. That's nearly 100 damage less, not including the damage difference when you add the damage buff.

Perhaps this difference would feel less grating if Storm Lord did not have a stun effect (one that doesn't fit thematically or with Storm's identity). In fact, I'd even go further- give Power Nova its Weakness back (or change it to a Bladestorm, if you ask me), change Storm Lord to flat damage, AND make Orthrus a 50+650 aoe again, giving that one back its flavor. The 7 pip aoe spells are meant to be representative of each school's distinct nature. Why are Storm and Ice- the most aggressive and most defensive -schools the same effect?
If the 7 pip aoe spells were meant to be representative then it would make sense that storm lord would be a single hit aoe, but then frost giant would be hit plus taunt all enemies, myth would be hit plus stun all, life would be rebirth again and balance be hit plus bladestorm or weakness all. Only Death and Fire really stay true to their schools.

I do think they should change the stun to snow angle to make their 7 pip aoe better, they did the same for life, they flipped Rebirth and Forest lord around.