Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Ra vs Power Nova

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 02, 2012
Why does Ra have to be weaker than Power Nova?

All the other schools have wonderful grandiose spells at 48, balance feels kind of left out..

They switched forest lord for rebirth, can we switch ra for power nova?

Not saying power nova is ugly, but Ra is seriously so much cooler, I want to be able to use it.. but the damage and pip difference just doesn't feel worth it... kind of disappointing

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
hulk18097 on Aug 29, 2021 wrote:
Why does Ra have to be weaker than Power Nova?

All the other schools have wonderful grandiose spells at 48, balance feels kind of left out..

They switched forest lord for rebirth, can we switch ra for power nova?

Not saying power nova is ugly, but Ra is seriously so much cooler, I want to be able to use it.. but the damage and pip difference just doesn't feel worth it... kind of disappointing
They effectively already did switch Ra and Power Nova. Power Nova used to have a weakness, but now it does not and it's just raw damage. Ra received power Nova's weakness, however during the spell audit they buffed the weakness's strength and due to the new rules lowered the damage accordingly.

Ra is now intended to be a "weakener" not a "killer" like Power Nova is now. I sort of wish that they would have kept things how they were originally, which I know doesn't speak to your issue about "Power Nova being ugly" as much, but I just think it was better off before.

Defender
Jan 16, 2010
As someone who is playing a balance currently as their main (level 61, and in the middle of District of the Stars in Celestia) - I can tell you from a perspective of someone who struggled on their Balance before getting Power Nova, that the pure damage of Power Nova now that they've changed it was something that was greatly needed. Ra has its own advantages (and if I ever unlocked the Floating Land I might get to experience that for myself) - but a sun enchant plus Ra plus critical can just as deadly as a Power Nova. True there is less attack with a Ra, but that -40 to attack is pretty nice to have if you're facing a hard to beat opponent, and if you're in a group I don't think you'll find many people complaining about you using it and putting that trap on the big bad.

Just my two cents.

Survivor
Jan 02, 2012
Halimeda on Aug 31, 2021 wrote:
As someone who is playing a balance currently as their main (level 61, and in the middle of District of the Stars in Celestia) - I can tell you from a perspective of someone who struggled on their Balance before getting Power Nova, that the pure damage of Power Nova now that they've changed it was something that was greatly needed. Ra has its own advantages (and if I ever unlocked the Floating Land I might get to experience that for myself) - but a sun enchant plus Ra plus critical can just as deadly as a Power Nova. True there is less attack with a Ra, but that -40 to attack is pretty nice to have if you're facing a hard to beat opponent, and if you're in a group I don't think you'll find many people complaining about you using it and putting that trap on the big bad.

Just my two cents.
At my level there is no point in having a weakness when I can just kill with that same hit.. if I use ra the enemies will die. The problem is the pip cost, I can just power nova before Ra. I don’t want Ra to swap places with Power Nova,

I want Ra to BE power nova, switch their stats and what level they are learned at. Its basically just making power nova look like Ra. Such a waste...

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
hulk18097 on Sep 2, 2021 wrote:
At my level there is no point in having a weakness when I can just kill with that same hit.. if I use ra the enemies will die. The problem is the pip cost, I can just power nova before Ra. I don’t want Ra to swap places with Power Nova,

I want Ra to BE power nova, switch their stats and what level they are learned at. Its basically just making power nova look like Ra. Such a waste...
I also feel like when they were doing the AOE updates that Power Nova kinda got glanced over. Sandstorm got an entirely new animation (with sparkles now) that while cool, I also think wasn't as necessary. I would have also preferred that they update the models and such in Power Nova.

#GivePowerNovaSparklessinceBalanceisnowsparklyapparently

Survivor
Mar 08, 2009
yea i never understood why they switched them they could of just switched what they did rather then changing when you get them

Survivor
Feb 05, 2012
Halimeda on Aug 31, 2021 wrote:

Just my two cents.
I agree with this. Before power nova had -25%, and with Ra now having the -40% but slightly weaker damage I think makes up for that. Balance needed an AOE that hit hard and not just weakened someone.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Nova258 on Sep 7, 2021 wrote:
I agree with this. Before power nova had -25%, and with Ra now having the -40% but slightly weaker damage I think makes up for that. Balance needed an AOE that hit hard and not just weakened someone.
Does your name indicate some level of bias though? (just kidding lol)