Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Criticals

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 10, 2012
I've noticed lately that when I'm fighting a group mob and I crit, my crit isn't hitting equally. Like if I'm fighting 4 Greenman in Tanglewood, I crit with a 35% blade. The first 2 get the crit and get around 1200 damage. The other 2 however take exactly half that. Is this a glitch or is it something I'm not seeing. And to save time, no they had no sheilds, they were all the same school (Life) and I am lvl 35 Fire casting Meteor Strike

Explorer
Mar 25, 2021
this is intentional. the changes to the critical system mean each enemy is calculated seperately. so even if you crit one enemy, it isnt a crit on all enemies.

Explorer
Jan 10, 2012
Critical fixed clamped to 95% max.
With vengence or a school pierce-critical bubble you should be able to exceed the 95% limits.
Why should these have been impacted since wizard limits are gear related, not globals?.
Bubbles are outside gear restrictons. like shields, bubble damage. but it seems not to be.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Critical is still broken. They said that they were going to work on a visual so you can tell whether or not you actually criticaled when using an AOE.

Spells that change Critical such as Vengeance and Shadow Trickster do absolutely nothing as of right now. I haven't personally tested Critical Bubbles, but I imagine that they are in a similar boat.

:(

Explorer
Jun 06, 2009
I understand that the idea is that you have to crit against each individual enemy when using an AOE, but honestly, that doesn't make much sense to me. You are using one spell, so that ought to mean that you have one chance to crit. Whether you crit or not is dependent entirely on you - the enemies only affect how much your crit does and whether they are able to block it. So, since the question of whether you crit is completely on your end, why should you have to crit against every single enemy when using a single spell? It just doesn't make sense.
And especially with mobs and bosses having better crit block rating and our crits not doing as much nowadays, it's not exactly like they need more of an opportunity to avoid higher damage hits.

Survivor
Nov 14, 2010
Not critting on each enemy with an AoE makes sense to me. Scoring a critical hit in most games means you were able to strike your enemy in a particularly vulnerable spot that does extra damage. With an AoE spell like meteor strike, for example, just because you hit one enemy smack in the face with a meteor doesn't mean you will hit all of them in the face.

FYI regarding Vengeance. I was curious a couple weeks ago if the critical stats shown during battle were really correct. So I did about a hundred battles and it turns out they are correct except where Vengeance is concerned. Vengeance actually does work and increase your chance to critical by 20% (up to the cap of 95% total). The critical numbers shown when you hover over an attack spell don't show this increase, but in my test run of 40 hits with Vengeance cast, the number of times I scored a critical did in fact go up by exactly 20% over the average. So Vengeance does work. I assume it's the same for the other critical enhancing spells but I haven't tested those.

Explorer
Mar 25, 2021
Vicious J on Jun 18, 2021 wrote:
Not critting on each enemy with an AoE makes sense to me. Scoring a critical hit in most games means you were able to strike your enemy in a particularly vulnerable spot that does extra damage. With an AoE spell like meteor strike, for example, just because you hit one enemy smack in the face with a meteor doesn't mean you will hit all of them in the face.

FYI regarding Vengeance. I was curious a couple weeks ago if the critical stats shown during battle were really correct. So I did about a hundred battles and it turns out they are correct except where Vengeance is concerned. Vengeance actually does work and increase your chance to critical by 20% (up to the cap of 95% total). The critical numbers shown when you hover over an attack spell don't show this increase, but in my test run of 40 hits with Vengeance cast, the number of times I scored a critical did in fact go up by exactly 20% over the average. So Vengeance does work. I assume it's the same for the other critical enhancing spells but I haven't tested those.
then whats the point of critical block? theres now 2 seperate calaculations to fail against a enemy who already is overpowered as a form of artificle difficulty in the high up worlds where critical actually matters.