Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Ability to view open chat even if you dont have it

AuthorMessage
Delver
Sep 13, 2016
rest on Mar 6, 2021 wrote:
This argument is fundamentally missing the point of family friendly gaming, which is what Wizard101 wants to be. Just because I have to hear customers swear at work doesn't mean I want to see it when I play Wizard101.

As a result of that point being missed, it occurred to me other important things may also have been missed.

This is a fantasy game and because of its ESRB 10+ rating, it's marketed towards kids. This has some strict requirements including protecting child information spreading. Open chat, BECAUSE it allows numbers to be said, puts children at risk.

If you need open chat, enable it. If you don't or can't enable it yet, then you don't have a good reason to NEED the numbers. Just tell people that you are a text chat user and they usually accommodate you.
Ok so I had this solution about this being a family friendly game problem, but for some reason everyone rejected it, for no reason? No one ever explained why, but my idea is to have at least 1, bad word server(or realm) where everyone is being a bad kid(not really), where everyone is swearing and typing numbers, ok the typing numbers part might be dangerous, hmmmmmmmmm, ok basically people, who want to play in family unfriendly mode can play on it. But for some reason people did not like it.

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
This argument is fundamentally missing the point of family friendly gaming, which is what Wizard101 wants to be. Just because I have to hear customers swear at work doesn't mean I want to see it when I play Wizard101.

As a result of that point being missed, it occurred to me other important things may also have been missed.

This is a fantasy game and because of its ESRB 10+ rating, it's marketed towards kids. This has some strict requirements including protecting child information spreading. Open chat, BECAUSE it allows numbers to be said, puts children at risk.

If you need open chat, enable it. If you don't or can't enable it yet, then you don't have a good reason to NEED the numbers. Just tell people that you are a text chat user and they usually accommodate you.
Anyway, so as I promised, the number part, yes, that. So according to statistics most peopl.. Ok no I am not going to talk like that, ok, I should stop joking, but I cant lol hahahahahahahahah, my joke was bad, it does not make any sense. So yes, you dont want people sharing addresses, ok so, they are usually 3-4 numbers long, first of all most street names will be filtered but you could just have it so if there are 3-4 numbers and then 2 words, you cant type it, plus commas are not allowed. The thing that I am trying to say is why are 18+ allowed to type numbers, so you are basically saying that kids do not know the consequences of sharing your address, they do, they are smart, even if they go as far as sharing the city they live in, they wont share their address, and knowing a city wont tell you exactly were the person is. PLUS+++++++++++++++++++++++++, ok ima stop, Roblox is a 10+, "family friendly" game and it allows you to type numbers at 13+ and gives you pretty open text chat when you just start playing.

Delver
Sep 13, 2016

And the main thing why i want open chat to be more available, on of the main reasons I made this post is so people can talk about their hobbies, say for example, this kid likes the Hobbit, and the Lord of the Rings, he wants to talk about all the locations and all the monsters, uh oh, I cant do that or this kid really likes planes, but all the plane models have numbers in them, uh oh, I cant type them or this kid likes JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, he wants to type all the Japanese names from part 4, uh oh I cant type them, or they want to talk about the DreamSMP, and they cant type the player's names and the locations in the area, and what Dream might do. So I really want people to be able to talk about their hobbies.

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
Coyle IceBalanceSt... on Mar 3, 2021 wrote:
Errr, why cant a kid be in a high level world, if ur young does not mean you are stuck at a low level sooo...
I want explanation please, why cant a kid be on a high level world?

Explorer
Oct 24, 2019
Coyle IceBalanceSt... on Mar 9, 2021 wrote:
Waaaaaaaiiiiiitttt, you need to pay for open chat???
Yes. It is a requirement to access the checkbox for Open Chat.

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
JValhalla on Mar 9, 2021 wrote:
Yes. It is a requirement to access the checkbox for Open Chat.
How much is it? and why just why do I have to wait 5 and a half years, AND pay for it woah, at least delete on of them.

Champion
Nov 22, 2008
Coyle IceBalanceSt... on Mar 9, 2021 wrote:
And the main thing why i want open chat to be more available, on of the main reasons I made this post is so people can talk about their hobbies, say for example, this kid likes the Hobbit, and the Lord of the Rings, he wants to talk about all the locations and all the monsters, uh oh, I cant do that or this kid really likes planes, but all the plane models have numbers in them, uh oh, I cant type them or this kid likes JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, he wants to type all the Japanese names from part 4, uh oh I cant type them, or they want to talk about the DreamSMP, and they cant type the player's names and the locations in the area, and what Dream might do. So I really want people to be able to talk about their hobbies.
While it is nice to enable discussion of hobbies in game, I by no means see it as a requisite. I would like to see expansion to the text chat filter to include common typeos and more fantasy words, but I don't see a big filter push coming anytime soon.

As a previous poster had said, open chat is a privilege. Text chat is the default. The ability to see open chat is by no means necessary. Open chat is a problem anyways and text chat isn't going to be allowed to follow anytime soon.