Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Ability to view open chat even if you dont have it

AuthorMessage
Delver
Sep 13, 2016
This(title) can be fixed with text chat, because if you want to see what people are typing you just enable text chat, but since for open chat you have to be 18 and there is no way to enable it if you are below 18, it would be good if there is an option that allows to see what other people type in open chat even if you can't type them your self. I know you can see most things if you have text chat, anyway, but it would be be great if you could see open chat.

Champion
Nov 22, 2008
I don't think this would be as advantageous as you think. As a player with open chat, I am glad text chat players cannot see much of what is said. So much filter evasion happens and I don't think that text chat players should be able to see that.

Open chat is restricted to 18+ for good reason and should stay that way.

Survivor
Jul 22, 2017
It's 18+ chat for a reason. However we are still restricted by the games rules as if we had text chat, which is rather weird considering 17 and below can't see what we say.

Kingsisle themselves claimed it's because certain individuals can easily obtain open chat by faking their age. I understand this. But why take it upon the adults who play the game? To avoid certain scenarios which they themselves can be held accountable for. Which is fair on their side. But isn't it just as much of a reasonability if not more for the adult to be an adult? whose to say. I'd say Yes but others could disagree. it is, what is.

At the end of the day, You have text chat for a reason. It's to mostly to protect you as it is to mostly protect the adults. I do believe having such a feature shouldn't exist period. It'd beat the entire purpose of you having text and me having open chat.

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
rest on Feb 22, 2021 wrote:
I don't think this would be as advantageous as you think. As a player with open chat, I am glad text chat players cannot see much of what is said. So much filter evasion happens and I don't think that text chat players should be able to see that.

Open chat is restricted to 18+ for good reason and should stay that way.
make it optional, for 18- people who know what they are doing they can enable it, for sensitive people or people who dont know what they are doing, they dont have to enable it.

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
Ok. Yeah I kind of thought many people would disagree. But the reason I made this is because I know what I am doing and I am not going to be doing stupid stuff, just want communication to be easier.

Champion
Nov 22, 2008
Coyle IceBalanceSt... on Feb 25, 2021 wrote:
Ok. Yeah I kind of thought many people would disagree. But the reason I made this is because I know what I am doing and I am not going to be doing stupid stuff, just want communication to be easier.
It's not that we think you as a person are a problem, rather we think the average kid is savvier than their parent and would get into situations they aren't ready for. Without open chat it still happens, but occurs less often. If this is so important to you, I encourage you to find friends on external platforms like discord and join a voice call.

Most of the time you can figure out by context what is being said and if you can't it probably isn't worth knowing what's being said.

Survivor
Jul 22, 2017
Coyle IceBalanceSt... on Feb 25, 2021 wrote:
Aside from you knowing what you're doing. it's still to protect Kingsisle and the Adults. I'm not against you at all. But trying to make a point of realization of why they're doing this.

To make communication easier they'd have to ease up on that chat filter stuff. but they won't because immature people would use it to their advantage to get around the filter. Not saying it's your fault, but the majority is why the filter is as bad as it is now.

Right after Beta, the filter chat wasn't terrible at all. it was nice! after a few years that nicest went away. it gradually Fade due to the community. I took a few years off and came back, only to find that the filter chat has gotten worse. I will say this isn't my first account. Got ban because I didn't know at the time this was a family friendly MMORPG. Honestly with how things are I still can't believe it is.

What they should do is undo most of the filter to begin with and have it to its earlier stage of after Beta. can't have a decent conversation with anybody without it! I get how the majority ruined this for others but that alone shouldn't affect those who want to communicate and be decent human beings.

I get how this doesn't stop someone from creating a new account. But here's the issue in general. You've created an MMORPG. You have to expect what comes with it and that is having a bunch of teens and adults swear at one another! look at WoW they're striving the most because there isn't even a filter chat and it's Family Friendly even!! Yet people still swear at one another lol xD.

You can still Monitor people and mute/ban them if need be but i'd suggest only when it applies. Example is an adult creeping. If this is a clear sign they should be ban! If someone is straight up being a bully to others and it's very noticeable should get muted for 6 months, then 2 years, then a ban. But if someone is RPGing, leave them be. they're just trying to have fun, after all this is a Role Playing Game.

Lastly, they'd have to change their report system to leave room for a paragraph. Once you report someone you get a ticket in your email associated with your wizard101 account. This ticket gives you a number that you can then reply to, to give extra info like an image or video to provide evidence. They can then go back and monitor the chat log to see if everything is accurate and take proper actions.

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
Brianna DeathHeart on Feb 25, 2021 wrote:
Aside from you knowing what you're doing. it's still to protect Kingsisle and the Adults. I'm not against you at all. But trying to make a point of realization of why they're doing this.

To make communication easier they'd have to ease up on that chat filter stuff. but they won't because immature people would use it to their advantage to get around the filter. Not saying it's your fault, but the majority is why the filter is as bad as it is now.

Right after Beta, the filter chat wasn't terrible at all. it was nice! after a few years that nicest went away. it gradually Fade due to the community. I took a few years off and came back, only to find that the filter chat has gotten worse. I will say this isn't my first account. Got ban because I didn't know at the time this was a family friendly MMORPG. Honestly with how things are I still can't believe it is.

What they should do is undo most of the filter to begin with and have it to its earlier stage of after Beta. can't have a decent conversation with anybody without it! I get how the majority ruined this for others but that alone shouldn't affect those who want to communicate and be decent human beings.

I get how this doesn't stop someone from creating a new account. But here's the issue in general. You've created an MMORPG. You have to expect what comes with it and that is having a bunch of teens and adults swear at one another! look at WoW they're striving the most because there isn't even a filter chat and it's Family Friendly even!! Yet people still swear at one another lol xD.

You can still Monitor people and mute/ban them if need be but i'd suggest only when it applies. Example is an adult creeping. If this is a clear sign they should be ban! If someone is straight up being a bully to others and it's very noticeable should get muted for 6 months, then 2 years, then a ban. But if someone is RPGing, leave them be. they're just trying to have fun, after all this is a Role Playing Game.

Lastly, they'd have to change their report system to leave room for a paragraph. Once you report someone you get a ticket in your email associated with your wizard101 account. This ticket gives you a number that you can then reply to, to give extra info like an image or video to provide evidence. They can then go back and monitor the chat log to see if everything is accurate and take proper actions.
so by nice chat filter you mean it had low filters?

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
rest on Feb 25, 2021 wrote:
It's not that we think you as a person are a problem, rather we think the average kid is savvier than their parent and would get into situations they aren't ready for. Without open chat it still happens, but occurs less often. If this is so important to you, I encourage you to find friends on external platforms like discord and join a voice call.

Most of the time you can figure out by context what is being said and if you can't it probably isn't worth knowing what's being said.
The whole point is you cant share discord and even if you could i dont have it. I dont know why you cant use things like zoom instead though.

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
Brianna DeathHeart on Feb 25, 2021 wrote:

agree. I dont play Wow but if you say it does not have filter than yeah if there is no filter why in wiz is it so heavy. Roblox for example still has filter but its way lower and you cant type ur username why cant wizard101 let you type ur username and have filters so there is nothing inappropriate.

This game is rated 10+, people who are 10+ are exposed to "rude" things so if that is the problem that they dont want people to be exposed to swearing, they should already be exposed. Well then again people 10- still play this game.

Champion
Nov 22, 2008
Coyle IceBalanceSt... on Feb 27, 2021 wrote:
agree. I dont play Wow but if you say it does not have filter than yeah if there is no filter why in wiz is it so heavy. Roblox for example still has filter but its way lower and you cant type ur username why cant wizard101 let you type ur username and have filters so there is nothing inappropriate.

This game is rated 10+, people who are 10+ are exposed to "rude" things so if that is the problem that they dont want people to be exposed to swearing, they should already be exposed. Well then again people 10- still play this game.
So part of the reason WoW doesnt have a filter is because the community self polices and stays to it cliques pretty well. Young children that see those things aren't hanging around it for a long time and high level players are encouraged to hang out in high level worlds, essentially moving problem people away from low level and "young kid" areas.

Wizard101's community does none of those things and we are STILL reporting open chatters for sexual things in the commons.

Until the Commons is sorted out as an issue, and it's a BIG problem, I can't be convinced, and I doubt KI will be either, that removing any filtering from Text chatters is a good idea.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Brianna DeathHeart on Feb 24, 2021 wrote:
It's 18+ chat for a reason. However we are still restricted by the games rules as if we had text chat, which is rather weird considering 17 and below can't see what we say.

Kingsisle themselves claimed it's because certain individuals can easily obtain open chat by faking their age. I understand this. But why take it upon the adults who play the game? To avoid certain scenarios which they themselves can be held accountable for. Which is fair on their side. But isn't it just as much of a reasonability if not more for the adult to be an adult? whose to say. I'd say Yes but others could disagree. it is, what is.

At the end of the day, You have text chat for a reason. It's to mostly to protect you as it is to mostly protect the adults. I do believe having such a feature shouldn't exist period. It'd beat the entire purpose of you having text and me having open chat.
I will admit that as an adult. Part of the reason why I play this game over Wow and others is the filters. Yes, I'm mature enough to know that it's people that are either just trolling or are angry or whatever, but at the same time. I don't like swearing. Vulgar language is not something that I personally feel is appropriate in the majority of cases and if I'm just playing around as a Wizard-same thing. I don't want the swears. That being said. I still use open chat for communications sake because everyone with open chat types numbers and it helps with communication. However, I also appreciate text chat, because I don't want my little cousins giving out their personal information.

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
rest on Mar 2, 2021 wrote:
So part of the reason WoW doesnt have a filter is because the community self polices and stays to it cliques pretty well. Young children that see those things aren't hanging around it for a long time and high level players are encouraged to hang out in high level worlds, essentially moving problem people away from low level and "young kid" areas.

Wizard101's community does none of those things and we are STILL reporting open chatters for sexual things in the commons.

Until the Commons is sorted out as an issue, and it's a BIG problem, I can't be convinced, and I doubt KI will be either, that removing any filtering from Text chatters is a good idea.
Errr, why cant a kid be in a high level world, if ur young does not mean you are stuck at a low level sooo...

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
rest on Mar 2, 2021 wrote:

Saying rude things is not a BIG problem, it happens all the time, in school, on the internet, outside, you kind of just have to deal with it.

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
oh no i forgot to copy(ctrl+c) my post so it might not get here and i wont be able to edit it :(, i wont be able to edit this, is that even good grammar, someone please please please tell me, well i ummm originally spelled grammar wrong anyway so......

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
Coyle IceBalanceSt... on Mar 4, 2021 wrote:
oh no i forgot to copy(ctrl+c) my post so it might not get here and i wont be able to edit it :(, i wont be able to edit this, is that even good grammar, someone please please please tell me, well i ummm originally spelled grammar wrong anyway so......
So i had a really cool comedy post that basically had the type of comedy I like it was awesome but I think it got moderated soooo.... i am sad WAAAAAAAAA, no but actually i am sad but it was just kind of saying I want roblox chat filters, like you start with text chat, and get open chat at 13, have same filters just with wizard101 words maybe text chat can be a bit more filtered, but I am a immature person so like yeah.

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
Worst word in roblox open chat is idiot

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
without avoiding filters

Explorer
Oct 24, 2019
Open Chat should feel like a privilege.

If you signed up for Wizard101 underaged, you can speak to Kingsisle to see if theyll let you get Open Chat now if you're over 18.

Open Chat would be meaningless to all of us who had to use their Credit Cards to get the Chat if people could just simply get it for Free.

Sometimes life isn't fair.

Champion
Nov 22, 2008
Coyle IceBalanceSt... on Mar 3, 2021 wrote:
Saying rude things is not a BIG problem, it happens all the time, in school, on the internet, outside, you kind of just have to deal with it.
This argument is fundamentally missing the point of family friendly gaming, which is what Wizard101 wants to be. Just because I have to hear customers swear at work doesn't mean I want to see it when I play Wizard101.

As a result of that point being missed, it occurred to me other important things may also have been missed.

This is a fantasy game and because of its ESRB 10+ rating, it's marketed towards kids. This has some strict requirements including protecting child information spreading. Open chat, BECAUSE it allows numbers to be said, puts children at risk.

If you need open chat, enable it. If you don't or can't enable it yet, then you don't have a good reason to NEED the numbers. Just tell people that you are a text chat user and they usually accommodate you.

Delver
Jan 17, 2013
Coyle IceBalanceSt... on Feb 19, 2021 wrote:
This(title) can be fixed with text chat, because if you want to see what people are typing you just enable text chat, but since for open chat you have to be 18 and there is no way to enable it if you are below 18, it would be good if there is an option that allows to see what other people type in open chat even if you can't type them your self. I know you can see most things if you have text chat, anyway, but it would be be great if you could see open chat.
I absolutely support this!! I had to wait 5 whole years before getting open chat, and it was BEYOND frustrating trying to talk with my friends. I regularly saw this on a daily basis:

"Haha ... couldn't believe ... lol"

"... lol"

"..."

"... and then ... couldn't ..."

"can ... hit?" <- come on, everyone knows

What really made text chat so unbearable was the fact that the smallest typo automatically got the word censored with the ellipsis. It got to the point where I wanted open chat NOT for the ability to talk to people, but to see what they're saying.

Now that I have open chat, I always make sure to talk with perfect spelling when around people with text chat, because I don't want them to have to go through the same frustrations that I did. I personally don't think KI is aware of how awful playing the game really is with text chat, because they all have open chat and never had to deal with text chat.

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
exp613 on Mar 3, 2021 wrote:
I will admit that as an adult. Part of the reason why I play this game over Wow and others is the filters. Yes, I'm mature enough to know that it's people that are either just trolling or are angry or whatever, but at the same time. I don't like swearing. Vulgar language is not something that I personally feel is appropriate in the majority of cases and if I'm just playing around as a Wizard-same thing. I don't want the swears. That being said. I still use open chat for communications sake because everyone with open chat types numbers and it helps with communication. However, I also appreciate text chat, because I don't want my little cousins giving out their personal information.
Ok so it was kind of obvious you were a mature adult from other posts but the thing is my friends brother is officially and adult and he curses. There are different people and some consider cursing and verbal bullying a horrible thing and others dont. Also, I want to point out many many many people use cursing for comedy purposes.

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
FusionSun on Mar 6, 2021 wrote:
I absolutely support this!! I had to wait 5 whole years before getting open chat, and it was BEYOND frustrating trying to talk with my friends. I regularly saw this on a daily basis:

"Haha ... couldn't believe ... lol"

"... lol"

"..."

"... and then ... couldn't ..."

"can ... hit?" <- come on, everyone knows

What really made text chat so unbearable was the fact that the smallest typo automatically got the word censored with the ellipsis. It got to the point where I wanted open chat NOT for the ability to talk to people, but to see what they're saying.

Now that I have open chat, I always make sure to talk with perfect spelling when around people with text chat, because I don't want them to have to go through the same frustrations that I did. I personally don't think KI is aware of how awful playing the game really is with text chat, because they all have open chat and never had to deal with text chat.
For me is like since you cant type AAAAAAAAAAAAAA, my alt is *screams* but *s are not allowed, and like what level are you cant type numbers, sure in understand so people dont share phone numbers, but its not as bad as sharing your address so, like yeah. I think lots of people dont want "young" kids getting exposed to swearing, and i think they are underestimating when a kid learns these words, if he went to a regular school, did not have any blocks on the internet etc. and the kids who have things blocked are a really really really really small minority, and well if you could no tell already, I am a kid, why else would I have a problem with open chat.

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
JValhalla on Mar 5, 2021 wrote:
Open Chat should feel like a privilege.

If you signed up for Wizard101 underaged, you can speak to Kingsisle to see if theyll let you get Open Chat now if you're over 18.

Open Chat would be meaningless to all of us who had to use their Credit Cards to get the Chat if people could just simply get it for Free.

Sometimes life isn't fair.
Waaaaaaaiiiiiitttt, you need to pay for open chat???

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
rest on Mar 6, 2021 wrote:
This argument is fundamentally missing the point of family friendly gaming, which is what Wizard101 wants to be. Just because I have to hear customers swear at work doesn't mean I want to see it when I play Wizard101.

As a result of that point being missed, it occurred to me other important things may also have been missed.

This is a fantasy game and because of its ESRB 10+ rating, it's marketed towards kids. This has some strict requirements including protecting child information spreading. Open chat, BECAUSE it allows numbers to be said, puts children at risk.

If you need open chat, enable it. If you don't or can't enable it yet, then you don't have a good reason to NEED the numbers. Just tell people that you are a text chat user and they usually accommodate you.
Yes but its 10+, not 5+, 10+, just because they are not 18 or 13, does not mean they are stupid, sure they have less experience with life, maybe can some times go to far, but they wont go like "hey dude come to my house because i definitely trust you and dont think you are a bad person and will put me and danger" or "HEY MY DAD'S CREDIT CARD NUMBER IS BLAH BLAH BLAH, GO GET ME BANKRUPT", but you have a point I know many many people who play this game under 10 pretty much everyone does that, I am pretty sure it allows you to play it if you are less than 10, but people can easily lie that they are 99+, so it does not really matter. But just please dont underestimate a kids intelligence and experience with life. Also about this family friendly thing, some people watch Terminator as a "family" movie and plus I dont think many adults play it unless they are youtubers.

So, what I get from this, a big, large, majority who play this game are not allowed to curse, because.... what? Like ok, sure sensitive people might get sad, but them if they been on the internet they would be crying all over Tommyinnit's videos, they probably get sad on twitter, youtube, basically the whole internet.

Ok now I know, well kind of just realize(forget I said that), that I just was babbling off topic, because you were talking about numbers, ima put that on another post.