Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Discord trades in wizard

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 16, 2009
Well i had posted this before cause its a concern i have, but the post never see the light here so heres again:
I have been in discord channels and notice that the currency there is empowers and they sell those for 5 usd a bulk of 999 its just crazy they buy all kid of this in game and share accounts so ppl can level other ppl accounts for empowers and a lot of times get scammed and their wizard deleted by this ppl offering the level up , it all seems so corrupted and a lot of ppl scammed for crowns or usd or wizards erased in their accounts , so i think King Isle just have to take matters in their hands and see something to control this , in my opinion if u make empowers non trade it will greatly reduce this behavior

P.S. i hope now my post see the light ty

Defender
Jul 26, 2012
Empowers have been used for years as a sort of universally-agreed upon currency to trade for other treasure cards between players. I believe they have a net positive impact on the game because trading empowers can streamline trading for other treasure cards whether it be for use in crafting or PvP. If we take Empowers out of the equation how much would you say a Grendel's Amends treasure card is worth? Lighting Elf? Elucidate? If a player wanted to trade for these cards how else would they go about obtaining them? And who is to say they wouldn't still be at risk of getting scammed? For example, someone might offer them 10 Grendel's Amends treasure cards if they are gifted several packs from the Crowns shop first.

Which brings me to my second point - so long as mechanics such as treasure card trading and Crown shop gifting exist it will be possible for players to get scammed. Do you believe these should be removed from the game as well? Removing Empowers from the equation will do little, if anything, to fix that and it will only hurt players who use them for legitimate trading. From my own limited knowledge of Discord I do know that players will take screenshots and rate both sellers and buyers regarding their authenticity. So even these trading communities themselves take steps to help prevent scams from occurring. At a certain point it is up to the player to protect themselves from getting scammed. As the old saying goes: "If something sounds too good to be true it probably is."

Defender
May 11, 2013
malevolent creatio... on Jan 25, 2021 wrote:
Well i had posted this before cause its a concern i have, but the post never see the light here so heres again:
I have been in discord channels and notice that the currency there is empowers and they sell those for 5 usd a bulk of 999 its just crazy they buy all kid of this in game and share accounts so ppl can level other ppl accounts for empowers and a lot of times get scammed and their wizard deleted by this ppl offering the level up , it all seems so corrupted and a lot of ppl scammed for crowns or usd or wizards erased in their accounts , so i think King Isle just have to take matters in their hands and see something to control this , in my opinion if u make empowers non trade it will greatly reduce this behavior

No, because plenty of people use Empowers for non scam reasons. If you want to make Empowers no Trade then Make ALL TCs No trade and No Auction. See i can make stupid ideas too.

Survivor
Oct 16, 2009
RedDragon877 on Jan 28, 2021 wrote:
No, because plenty of people use Empowers for non scam reasons. If you want to make Empowers no Trade then Make ALL TCs No trade and No Auction. See i can make stupid ideas too.
well ur idea is stupid for sure , mine is a way to control all the ppl hoarding them for making profit and sell them for usd at least while they try to figure out another tc to replace it that i hardly think of any that matches, also a lot of kids play this game and those are the mostly scammed in merc works , cause its easy in game to obtain the emps enough to someone high level up their wizards risking their accounts when passing the passwords that also its a banneable offense to KI

Survivor
Oct 16, 2009
Tanner Silver on Jan 27, 2021 wrote:
Empowers have been used for years as a sort of universally-agreed upon currency to trade for other treasure cards between players. I believe they have a net positive impact on the game because trading empowers can streamline trading for other treasure cards whether it be for use in crafting or PvP. If we take Empowers out of the equation how much would you say a Grendel's Amends treasure card is worth? Lighting Elf? Elucidate? If a player wanted to trade for these cards how else would they go about obtaining them? And who is to say they wouldn't still be at risk of getting scammed? For example, someone might offer them 10 Grendel's Amends treasure cards if they are gifted several packs from the Crowns shop first.

Which brings me to my second point - so long as mechanics such as treasure card trading and Crown shop gifting exist it will be possible for players to get scammed. Do you believe these should be removed from the game as well? Removing Empowers from the equation will do little, if anything, to fix that and it will only hurt players who use them for legitimate trading. From my own limited knowledge of Discord I do know that players will take screenshots and rate both sellers and buyers regarding their authenticity. So even these trading communities themselves take steps to help prevent scams from occurring. At a certain point it is up to the player to protect themselves from getting scammed. As the old saying goes: "If something sounds too good to be true it probably is."
well its because u have limited knowledge of discord thats why u dont see the problem.

Mastermind
Mar 16, 2009
If you make Empower a non-trade card, then people will continue this practice using Regenerate TC. If you restrict that too, something else. This would continue until every single TC was untradeable.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
I personally think KI should make more avenues to trade with other wizards, not less. Those illegal services like sharing your account to level up wizards are just going to transition to USD, and people will still get scammed. We need education, not crackdowns.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
malevolent creatio... on Jan 28, 2021 wrote:
well its because u have limited knowledge of discord thats why u dont see the problem.
There isn't a problem. So long as a medium of exchange exists, goods and services will be exchanged using it. Instead of insulting everyone who disagrees with you, why not go into more detail as to why legitimate, non-TOS breaking services should be removed?

Survivor
Oct 16, 2009
Robobot1747 on Jan 29, 2021 wrote:
There isn't a problem. So long as a medium of exchange exists, goods and services will be exchanged using it. Instead of insulting everyone who disagrees with you, why not go into more detail as to why legitimate, non-TOS breaking services should be removed?
If u read all the post that i was quoting u will see i didnt insult no one i just refrain what he wrote , read all before commenting plis it will help u a lot.
My original post is cause i see the account sharing a problem also the hoarding of emps , to me feels corrupted an out of contxt for a kids game, im not againts trades im a member og gtp , pta wizshops etc , i have been for a long time thats why i seen this recurrent problem thats getting bigger every day.

Defender
Jul 26, 2012
malevolent creatio... on Jan 28, 2021 wrote:
No I can see the problem, thank you. Discord is just another medium players use to communicate outside of the game. If people weren't using Discord they would communicate over email or some other instant messenger service. I've also played plenty of other MMOs that have issues with real world trading, scamming, and botting. but I believe what you are suggesting to "fix" it isn't actually going to fix it and the impact on legitimate players will be far greater.

Have you played any other MMOs? If you have you'll probably notice the trading and chat in this game is already very restricted compared to other online games. If our already heavily-restricted trading and chat system cannot prevent scamming in its entirety what makes you think removing Empowers will? Developers can only do so much to prevent scams whilst simultaneously allowing some modicum of trade and communication between players. At the end of the day there is no perfect system to protect against scamming, so it is up to the players themselves to fill those remaining gaps by having common sense and retaining a healthy amount of distrust towards strangers on the internet.

I also noticed you tactfully ignored the second point (and just about everything else) I brought up, so I will ask it again: Why not just go to the extreme and remove trading and Crowns shop gifting entirely? Even this wouldn't prevent dubious "account leveling services", since all the communication and currency exchange happens outside of the game.

Survivor
Oct 16, 2009
Tanner Silver on Jan 30, 2021 wrote:
No I can see the problem, thank you. Discord is just another medium players use to communicate outside of the game. If people weren't using Discord they would communicate over email or some other instant messenger service. I've also played plenty of other MMOs that have issues with real world trading, scamming, and botting. but I believe what you are suggesting to "fix" it isn't actually going to fix it and the impact on legitimate players will be far greater.

Have you played any other MMOs? If you have you'll probably notice the trading and chat in this game is already very restricted compared to other online games. If our already heavily-restricted trading and chat system cannot prevent scamming in its entirety what makes you think removing Empowers will? Developers can only do so much to prevent scams whilst simultaneously allowing some modicum of trade and communication between players. At the end of the day there is no perfect system to protect against scamming, so it is up to the players themselves to fill those remaining gaps by having common sense and retaining a healthy amount of distrust towards strangers on the internet.

I also noticed you tactfully ignored the second point (and just about everything else) I brought up, so I will ask it again: Why not just go to the extreme and remove trading and Crowns shop gifting entirely? Even this wouldn't prevent dubious "account leveling services", since all the communication and currency exchange happens outside of the game.
its a problem when kids that are the mostly scammed, get empowers very easy like everyone else, and then cause they naive or innocent cause lack of experience, dont see what they about to do give their passwords to ppl to level them , the part of crowns is not so easy for the kids cause as u know that cost real money so they are limited in that to credit cards or money of their parents, i agree theres no perfect system to prevent being scammed only common sense based on experience almost all the time and little kids lack of those and remind u that account sharing is banneable for KI, u dont have to remove trading or crown gifting in game, they just need to make it more difficult to little kids that join this channels to get scammed.

Champion
Mar 19, 2009
The only way to control TC trading groups is to ban TC trading altogether, which would be a major change that most of the playerbase would not be a fan of.

Simply banning Empowers would just cause them to move over to another TC to use as currency.

Most TC trading groups are perfectly fine. The ones that trade for real-world money are by far in the minority. I don't see the point in cracking down on them when most traders aren't breaking the TOS.

Survivor
Jul 22, 2017
Pretty sure Kingsisle addressed the Scamming part as, if you fall for it. it's your own fault.

I do see your concern though and honestly I wish there was a better way of handling this however there really isn't.

Champion
Nov 22, 2008
The only way to regulate this would be to have a trading forum that updates faster than this message board that is regulated by KI.

Any other trading would have to be cracked down on, and they would have to have some way to intervene if a scam occurs on their boards anyways.

Honestly that would just make people feel worse about the game, and wouldn't be very supportive of wizard101 communities. How long would it be until their community was deemed a "trading community" and shut down?

I think Empowers as a currency is perfectly reasonable. I think obtaining them is perfectly reasonable and by no means impossible. I don't think "hoarding" them is an issue because they were obtained by legitimate gameplay. Anyone that gives out their password to people they don't personally know probably needs some help anyways, and shouldn't be playing wizard101.

Defender
Dec 20, 2008
So just because a very small amount of the playerbase scams through trades (probably 0.001%), Empowers shouldn't be allowed to be traded anymore? Empowers have become a base for trading (same with Elucidate). They have a firm spot in the trading economy and tons of people trade them. Making them untradable would cause tons of people to have to sell back their Empowers to a shop or the auction for less than what they bought them for. I think it would cause more harm than good.

The scammers will just move to some other treasure card so I doubt that making Empowers untradeable will change anything.

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
malevolent creatio... on Feb 1, 2021 wrote:
its a problem when kids that are the mostly scammed, get empowers very easy like everyone else, and then cause they naive or innocent cause lack of experience, dont see what they about to do give their passwords to ppl to level them , the part of crowns is not so easy for the kids cause as u know that cost real money so they are limited in that to credit cards or money of their parents, i agree theres no perfect system to prevent being scammed only common sense based on experience almost all the time and little kids lack of those and remind u that account sharing is banneable for KI, u dont have to remove trading or crown gifting in game, they just need to make it more difficult to little kids that join this channels to get scammed.
Correction: extremely young kids, or weird kids, regular kids just dont do that, they do if you consider. kid 7- or something but 7+ unless they aren't really thoughtful, they wont be getting scammed "easily." Don underestimate kids.

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
malevolent creatio... on Jan 25, 2021 wrote:

5 usd a bulk of 999, what odes that mean and what is buy all kid

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
Guys, this is some good business, these kids will become billionaires.