Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Stop swearing around the chat filter

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 18, 2016
You know, I really should not have to get on here and ramble about this, but every day I log into the game and go to the Commons, I end up reporting somebody for cursing around the filter. And I've been on the internet more than long enough to recognize a swear word when I see one. And I know everybody who works at KingsIsle moderation is the same.

People, please. It's been said time and again, over and over and over again, that SWEARING AROUND THE CHAT FILTERS, regardless if you have Text or Open Chat, is going to result in you getting muted, most likely for 10 years ( permanent ). But even after seeing case after case of people firing off bombshells of hateful swearing and getting muted for it, I still see people doing it on a regular basis in the Commons, even when a Hall Monitor is present.

Professor Greyrose herself has stated that it's against the rules, so it baffles the mind why people continue to do it, knowing what's waiting for them afterwards. Time to pop over to that Terms of Use and take a refresher course on the kind of dialog that will NOT be tolerated around here...

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
I will not hesitate to say that this kind of arrogant behavior peeves me.

Come to think of it, Kingsisle chat and moderation systems are in need of improvement. Not only is this cyberbullying commonplace in what is supposed to be a children's game, but I have heard of instances of bullies using the reporting system as a weapon through means I won't specify. This needs to be addressed

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
I can't think back to a time when this was not going on.

Though KI has stipulated and reinforced rules that should assist in preventing these "forms of expression," it seems those rules are not enough to deter those who consistently speak around the filter.

Many of us choose to hang in the commons or just simply ignore the 'profanity.'

Those bothered by it should possibly do so too alongside reporting when necessary.

Engaging these persons will only make matters worse.

Mastermind
Jan 05, 2014
Princess Soulhunte... on Dec 18, 2020 wrote:
You know, I really should not have to get on here and ramble about this, but every day I log into the game and go to the Commons, I end up reporting somebody for cursing around the filter. And I've been on the internet more than long enough to recognize a swear word when I see one. And I know everybody who works at KingsIsle moderation is the same.

People, please. It's been said time and again, over and over and over again, that SWEARING AROUND THE CHAT FILTERS, regardless if you have Text or Open Chat, is going to result in you getting muted, most likely for 10 years ( permanent ). But even after seeing case after case of people firing off bombshells of hateful swearing and getting muted for it, I still see people doing it on a regular basis in the Commons, even when a Hall Monitor is present.

Professor Greyrose herself has stated that it's against the rules, so it baffles the mind why people continue to do it, knowing what's waiting for them afterwards. Time to pop over to that Terms of Use and take a refresher course on the kind of dialog that will NOT be tolerated around here...
I don't think most players are aware that there are such severe consequences.

The chat filter is so limiting that using workarounds such as "level twentieth fifth" becomes a habit. I mean really, not being able to use numbers in text chat is a huge pain when you are trying to strategize fights or arrange group dungeon farming. If I want to ask someone if they are high enough level to run Atlantea, for instance, I'd like to just say "you must be level 70" but too many readers will get the number starred out so I resort to longer winded workarounds that are hard to remember to use.

Once you get used to using workarounds for innocuous stuff like numbers, it's a slippery slope, and using workarounds to convey profane exclamations becomes very tempting. Saying something like "sheet, I fizzled" seems harmless but is actually a TOS violation that can get you banned from chat. And now I am wondering if I will be banned from the message boards just for giving the example.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
DanTheTerrible on Dec 21, 2020 wrote:
I don't think most players are aware that there are such severe consequences.

The chat filter is so limiting that using workarounds such as "level twentieth fifth" becomes a habit. I mean really, not being able to use numbers in text chat is a huge pain when you are trying to strategize fights or arrange group dungeon farming. If I want to ask someone if they are high enough level to run Atlantea, for instance, I'd like to just say "you must be level 70" but too many readers will get the number starred out so I resort to longer winded workarounds that are hard to remember to use.

Once you get used to using workarounds for innocuous stuff like numbers, it's a slippery slope, and using workarounds to convey profane exclamations becomes very tempting. Saying something like "sheet, I fizzled" seems harmless but is actually a TOS violation that can get you banned from chat. And now I am wondering if I will be banned from the message boards just for giving the example.
The phrase passed moderation, so I think you're ok. In fact, that is very mild profanity and is probably likely to get a warning (if that) however, sexual or racial phrases or f-bombs are most likely the ones that will gather mutes or even bans.
I remember a wizard (boy) who used a sexual phrase that passed the filter completely, every word he used was allowed by the filter. If I had been a member, he'd had been reported. (I'm not going to tell you what he said, I'm not here to teach you how to be crude.)

Until attitudes about profanity is adjusted (it's cool, adults do it, etc.) and also the idea that you can "get away" with breaking a rule; then there will always be those who will do this.
But keep reporting and maybe once they achieve that 10 year mute or permanent ban, we'll be free of their dirty little mouths!