Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Beastmoon Monster Mayhem - Tips if you are new

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 13, 2009
When I first saw the monster mayhem event i was excited. It looked interesting and I thought it might break up the monotony of solo questing. However, once I started, I had no idea what to do. As I've played more and more, I realize that due to the nature of the event, if you are new, figuring it out is difficult. I wanted to put together a few tips I've learned as I've played.

To start with, these are a must:

Patience - I played for a week solid, all day every day, to get to the point where I can win fairly consistently. Be prepared, it's a tough event, but it can be won. But be prepared to put in the time. Just like anything else, it takes practice.

Communication - Communicate with your team, make a plan, ask for help, talk as you go. For players with only menu chat, this is a hurdle to overcome. So these tips will be extra helpful for you.

Picking Forms - Everyone is going to have a favorite, except maybe you if you are new. Your team might suggest a form for you or not. Pick something that looks fun to you. It's a game. However, if you are focused on winning, it's best to pick a form with a lot of actual damage cards. If not available, a balance form is good because it can do shields and blades.
  • Larger Beastforms (ex: Colossus, Cyclops, Wolf Warrior) are Tank types, slower, more health and protecting those with less health.
  • Medium Beastforms (ex: Minotaur, Draconian, Krokomummy, Ninja Pig) have average health, and can fill any role based on their school.
  • Smaller Beastforms (ex: Rat Thief, Elf, and Fairy) have the least amount of health. They are normally focused on Support and Damage roles by either doing Damage themselves or helping others do more.

Beast Hall - While still in the beast hall, you will see life wisps and pip wisps. Next to you, while in your beastform you should see a floating colored square. It may or may not have empty black dots under it. That means you have the option to obtain that many pips prior to battle starting. Always get pips before a fight. You will also see Acteon. He sells treasure cards. If you are just starting you have no coins. During the battles if you come across clams, open them. They are event currency and can be used to buy treasure cards. Great for extra hits.
There are also, 2 teleporters, red(comes out at the red dot at the bottom of the map) and blue(comes out at the corresponding dot at the top of the map). Pick one closest to the fight you will go to first.

The Map - The map shows all of your team. You are a yellow arrow, the rest of the team is red arrows. Battles will show up on the map, with the school symbol of the monster(s), that have to be defeated. Your team has to win all these battles to open the boss battle in the spiral. 4 members will go to the spiral, and 2 will remain outside the spiral. These 2 people will fight additional battles that give spiral fighters boosts. These battles show on the map the same way the main fights do.

Strategy - There are 3 waves of increasing difficulty. The first wave has 3 main battles and then the spiral with a boss and a minion. Call you battle in the beast hall(for example, I'm going to Moon - a fight location). This will help keep fights 2v2. For this first wave, each fight should have 2 team members against 2 mobs. The common strategy is to kill the lowest health mob first. Personally, I check for a fire mob and kill it first. Fire mobs cast DoT spells(Damage over Time). But they cast them over and over and before you know it you're dead. So kill them quick.

In the first wave the goal should be to kill all mobs in the first 5 minutes. Whoever wins the fight first, should look for a Time Clam. The time clam will give an extra 2 minutes. If you find, say so, so others stop looking. Now go help finish any other fights. Before the spiral opens, 2 people should say they will kill the outside mobs for buffs. You want to get the blade buff, and the combo blade/shield buff if you can. (My personal strategy, is don't get Surtre's Rage - the Fire Giant - as the animation takes forever. Especially in Wave 3). More than those 2 buffs is a waste of time. The animation time cost is not worth the benefit. Be ready instead to trade places with someone in the spiral in case they die.

Once you kill the spiral boss in Wave 1, you go back to the beast hall. Refill your health and pips. If you don't get enough health, there are health wisp urns on the playing field, you only need to get next to them. Pip wisps are also on the field.

Wave 2 fight mobs 3v2. So 3 teammates and 2 mobs. Kill fast. Whoever finishes should move to the next battle quickly. Use 3 or 4 fighters on the last mob fight depending on who is done. Again try to find the time clam. Once the spiral battle opens, 4 to the spiral and 2 get buffs. In this round, go together and kill mobs 2v2 for buffs. They have more health this round. Pay attention to what team is saying in the spiral, it's common for them to die and need to be replaced. Once you have to flee a fight, you lose your beastform, and you can't go back to the same fight. You'll go back to the beasthall and select a new form.

Wave 3 is won the same way as Wave 2.

Select the card you will play quickly. Within 5 seconds is a good goal. If you can hit, hit. If you can't hit, help another player with a blade, trap, or shield. Speed is imperative. I've seen events lost based on the time it takes someone to select a card.

If you are new, tell the team if you can. Let them know you are free to be directed because you have never played before. If you can't or do not wish to do that, pick a teammate and stick to them like glue. Do what they do. You will pick up how to play.

Last Note - Because this event is so hard to complete due to the time restraints, you may often see teammates saying hurry. Don't take it personally, they are just reminding everyone that there is a time clicking down. I know this event is daunting, but once you get the hang of it, it's a lot of fun. Happy Hunting!!

Please all, add other strategies and tips in the comments. I'm sure I missed some.

- Cass Ashthorn Level 128

Administrator
Coolaid0511 on Aug 25, 2020 wrote:
When I first saw the monster mayhem event i was excited. It looked interesting and I thought it might break up the monotony of solo questing. However, once I started, I had no idea what to do. As I've played more and more, I realize that due to the nature of the event, if you are new, figuring it out is difficult. I wanted to put together a few tips I've learned as I've played.

To start with, these are a must:

Patience - I played for a week solid, all day every day, to get to the point where I can win fairly consistently. Be prepared, it's a tough event, but it can be won. But be prepared to put in the time. Just like anything else, it takes practice.

Communication - Communicate with your team, make a plan, ask for help, talk as you go. For players with only menu chat, this is a hurdle to overcome. So these tips will be extra helpful for you.

Picking Forms - Everyone is going to have a favorite, except maybe you if you are new. Your team might suggest a form for you or not. Pick something that looks fun to you. It's a game. However, if you are focused on winning, it's best to pick a form with a lot of actual damage cards. If not available, a balance form is good because it can do shields and blades.
  • Larger Beastforms (ex: Colossus, Cyclops, Wolf Warrior) are Tank types, slower, more health and protecting those with less health.
  • Medium Beastforms (ex: Minotaur, Draconian, Krokomummy, Ninja Pig) have average health, and can fill any role based on their school.
  • Smaller Beastforms (ex: Rat Thief, Elf, and Fairy) have the least amount of health. They are normally focused on Support and Damage roles by either doing Damage themselves or helping others do more.

Beast Hall - While still in the beast hall, you will see life wisps and pip wisps. Next to you, while in your beastform you should see a floating colored square. It may or may not have empty black dots under it. That means you have the option to obtain that many pips prior to battle starting. Always get pips before a fight. You will also see Acteon. He sells treasure cards. If you are just starting you have no coins. During the battles if you come across clams, open them. They are event currency and can be used to buy treasure cards. Great for extra hits.
There are also, 2 teleporters, red(comes out at the red dot at the bottom of the map) and blue(comes out at the corresponding dot at the top of the map). Pick one closest to the fight you will go to first.

The Map - The map shows all of your team. You are a yellow arrow, the rest of the team is red arrows. Battles will show up on the map, with the school symbol of the monster(s), that have to be defeated. Your team has to win all these battles to open the boss battle in the spiral. 4 members will go to the spiral, and 2 will remain outside the spiral. These 2 people will fight additional battles that give spiral fighters boosts. These battles show on the map the same way the main fights do.

Strategy - There are 3 waves of increasing difficulty. The first wave has 3 main battles and then the spiral with a boss and a minion. Call you battle in the beast hall(for example, I'm going to Moon - a fight location). This will help keep fights 2v2. For this first wave, each fight should have 2 team members against 2 mobs. The common strategy is to kill the lowest health mob first. Personally, I check for a fire mob and kill it first. Fire mobs cast DoT spells(Damage over Time). But they cast them over and over and before you know it you're dead. So kill them quick.

In the first wave the goal should be to kill all mobs in the first 5 minutes. Whoever wins the fight first, should look for a Time Clam. The time clam will give an extra 2 minutes. If you find, say so, so others stop looking. Now go help finish any other fights. Before the spiral opens, 2 people should say they will kill the outside mobs for buffs. You want to get the blade buff, and the combo blade/shield buff if you can. (My personal strategy, is don't get Surtre's Rage - the Fire Giant - as the animation takes forever. Especially in Wave 3). More than those 2 buffs is a waste of time. The animation time cost is not worth the benefit. Be ready instead to trade places with someone in the spiral in case they die.

Once you kill the spiral boss in Wave 1, you go back to the beast hall. Refill your health and pips. If you don't get enough health, there are health wisp urns on the playing field, you only need to get next to them. Pip wisps are also on the field.

Wave 2 fight mobs 3v2. So 3 teammates and 2 mobs. Kill fast. Whoever finishes should move to the next battle quickly. Use 3 or 4 fighters on the last mob fight depending on who is done. Again try to find the time clam. Once the spiral battle opens, 4 to the spiral and 2 get buffs. In this round, go together and kill mobs 2v2 for buffs. They have more health this round. Pay attention to what team is saying in the spiral, it's common for them to die and need to be replaced. Once you have to flee a fight, you lose your beastform, and you can't go back to the same fight. You'll go back to the beasthall and select a new form.

Wave 3 is won the same way as Wave 2.

Select the card you will play quickly. Within 5 seconds is a good goal. If you can hit, hit. If you can't hit, help another player with a blade, trap, or shield. Speed is imperative. I've seen events lost based on the time it takes someone to select a card.

If you are new, tell the team if you can. Let them know you are free to be directed because you have never played before. If you can't or do not wish to do that, pick a teammate and stick to them like glue. Do what they do. You will pick up how to play.

Last Note - Because this event is so hard to complete due to the time restraints, you may often see teammates saying hurry. Don't take it personally, they are just reminding everyone that there is a time clicking down. I know this event is daunting, but once you get the hang of it, it's a lot of fun. Happy Hunting!!

Please all, add other strategies and tips in the comments. I'm sure I missed some.

- Cass Ashthorn Level 128
An excellent set of new player tips, thanks Cass! I've pinned this post for visibility.

Survivor
Feb 27, 2011
Where do you find "Beast Hall?"

Delver
Jun 17, 2012
@ CoolAid0511 Thank you for making this informative post, it really helped me have some idea of what to do during this January mayhem hunt.

@ekwkmd The Beast Hall is the "waiting room" where you have about 30 seconds to pick a beast form, talk to your team, gather pips and health before you are able to enter the actual Hunting Grounds where the match will take place. In the Beast Hall are all of the forms you can pick. If they have sparkles, you can pick them. If they do not sparkle, another wizard has picked that form, so keep looking. Choose quickly so you can buy cards from Acteon before you go in.

You are taken to the Beast Hall when you click the "Join Match" button in the Beastmoon Hunt or BM Monster Mayhem events. Once you click "join match" you will see that you are put into a queue similar to the team up kiosk. You have anywhere from a few seconds, to a few minutes to click a second pop up window that will ask you if you are "Ready to Go". Between the time you click "join match" and "ready to go", the system is gathering enough players for a match. Once you click the button that you are ready to go, be ready! You will teleport right to the Beast Hall.

Tip: Before you join a match, or anytime the hunt is not running like now, check out the Beast Form Upgrade station in the PVP arena. There you can click on each Beast Form and see what it does, which cards it has, what each card means, etc. This will help you pick a favorite. It is a good idea to have 1-2 favorite forms and 2-3 back up forms that you can play since you have to be "quick on the draw" to get your favorite. Also, each form has multiple schools now, so for example, the ELF form has 3 choices of school: Fire Elf, Ice Elf and the newest form, Storm Elf.

Happy Hunting!!

Survivor
Dec 26, 2010
Very good guide.

I want to emphasize, Patience and communication are vital.

I am not trying to point fingers, but there are some players as an example, who think Mayhem is like PvP and get bossy or angry when things don't go their way. It is not, and when you encounter angry people, just ignore the anger and comments. Instead, focus on the battles and do your best. Not all plans work out, so always be ready to adapt and adjust, then move on.

Lastly; relax, enjoy your team and have fun.

Delver
Jun 10, 2012
On 1st round you have only 12 min max so avoid 3v2 and find 2v2 who works fast together

Survivor
Nov 23, 2013
vanshipley on Mar 19, 2021 wrote:
Very good guide.

I want to emphasize, Patience and communication are vital.

I am not trying to point fingers, but there are some players as an example, who think Mayhem is like PvP and get bossy or angry when things don't go their way. It is not, and when you encounter angry people, just ignore the anger and comments. Instead, focus on the battles and do your best. Not all plans work out, so always be ready to adapt and adjust, then move on.

Lastly; relax, enjoy your team and have fun.
Thank you for these tips. I have such a difficult time trying to understand the map, for instance if the red teleporter is bottom, and the blue teleporter is top, then why do I always see my arrow in the middle? I take the stairs when someone says "go up" and get the response "wow, you really need to do your research before playing." This makes it so difficult to focus on navigating to where you need to be. So, if anyone has any tips on the map and how to better understand it or navigate it, please let me know. My age and fact that I've had a stroke shouldn't mean that I have no business playing because I really like this game. It's really the only one I play. Thank you so much.

Survivor
Dec 26, 2010
Iridian Pixieweave... on Oct 25, 2021 wrote:
Thank you for these tips. I have such a difficult time trying to understand the map, for instance if the red teleporter is bottom, and the blue teleporter is top, then why do I always see my arrow in the middle? I take the stairs when someone says "go up" and get the response "wow, you really need to do your research before playing." This makes it so difficult to focus on navigating to where you need to be. So, if anyone has any tips on the map and how to better understand it or navigate it, please let me know. My age and fact that I've had a stroke shouldn't mean that I have no business playing because I really like this game. It's really the only one I play. Thank you so much.
I can relate in more ways that can be explained. I am a "senior" player with various health issues, and W101 has been part of my relaxation therapy all these years since I started after Beta.

For anyone who wants more detailed instructions on not only Beastmoon Monster Mayhem (Which is similar to PVE) but also on Beastmoon Hunt (Which is more like PVP), there are a great set of guides on Central that have expensive, ever growing, new information on the events.

Since these guides were created, the bad attitudes and lack of team spirit in BOTH events has drastically dropped to almost never. The teams and players have become super supportive of new players and people are really having fun, even if the team looses.

It is my hope that someday, I will be allowed to post my guides here, but for reasons I still do not understand, all my attempts have failed to get past the censors.

Until that day does come, just do your best, ignore the poor sports and have fun.

Delver
Jun 10, 2012
Hi,

I played many beast events and i can add few things:

For new player, first welcome to the family
1. Dont hesitate to tell you are new, especially in mayhem, the timer make people lose patience very quickly about mistakes but who done a perfect run on his first try.
2. Some forms make good synergie togethers in correct order,
Life then storm, fire then life, storm then myth,...
Elf before rat but colossus or drake before elf work better
3. Use tab to see what is both team forms is they picked 3 ices avoid storm forms and pick fire ones
4. Sometime stunning the second enemy is better than killing the 3rd.
5. In hunt, dont be predictable share blades, pass to revive one turn later, sacrifice yourself to give pips on an ice who has aoe on hand, BUT in mayhem, be predictable, like that your teammates instantly know how to help you.
6. In hunt, when a fight start be rdy to run to it, being one turn late can be enough to lose it but that dont mean you must blindly run into it, as storm fight fires but avoid ices, elf rat and fairy on same fight dont last for long,...
7. The leave fight card can be a very strong utility card, well used you can leave a fight with low life and reopen the slot and so on transforming a 3v3 into a 4v3 (2v2 into 3v2 and spiral into 5v4)
8. You can switch forms during the run, dont hesitate to do so to counter the other team
9. If you can 2v2 round 2 (or 3) on mayhem that dont mean the others can also do it
And finally , no need to be aggressive against a bad player if thats a troll that wont change anything and if not you are less focused on understanding and counter other team strategy

I won mayhems with 2 missing player, 4 first time player, a troll, ... and lose some with 5 max rank forms because rat and wolf couldn't bear each other or life drake and ice colossus were our outer fighters.
Starting with 3v2 dont mean instant loss just 2 min less to finish so take a breath and do your best thats a 12 min game you will survive no worry

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
while some of these are good under certain circumstances, under other circumstances they are NOT good at all.

Rather than making up a long list of rules that you, personally, think are a good idea, it might be better to allow players to develop their own strategy.

most notibly are things like the 2v2 suggestion that, if the wrong forms are selected, results in frustrated players and long, drawn out battles.

Common sense - if you are attacking 2 enemies with 4 players, there are a lot more hits being delivered on the enemies than if you only have 2 players.

So if you really want things to go fast, have a group of 4 players, one that has shields, one that has heals, one that has blades, one that has hits, go around from one battle to the next and wipe everything out in about 2 rounds.

Survivor
May 06, 2009
crystalwizard12345... on Nov 22, 2021 wrote:
while some of these are good under certain circumstances, under other circumstances they are NOT good at all.

Rather than making up a long list of rules that you, personally, think are a good idea, it might be better to allow players to develop their own strategy.

most notibly are things like the 2v2 suggestion that, if the wrong forms are selected, results in frustrated players and long, drawn out battles.

Common sense - if you are attacking 2 enemies with 4 players, there are a lot more hits being delivered on the enemies than if you only have 2 players.

So if you really want things to go fast, have a group of 4 players, one that has shields, one that has heals, one that has blades, one that has hits, go around from one battle to the next and wipe everything out in about 2 rounds.
It really comes down to what is time efficient in beastmoon monster mayhem event. Having four in a single battle really bites on time with each character selecting a card, casting time, and depending on the form (if it's a tank or healer) would take longer. For a game mode that generally takes 45 minutes to an hour through all three waves.

And while there isn't really any bad form to choose (except DoT/HoT forms), most times if not while doing 2v2s you'd be the last to finish. While it might seem bad to be the last to finish you can get the support from the others if they finish before ya. If ya get through all three waves and get enough gold dust to get an idol, it would be best to weigh your options on forms depending on how you want to play out the rest of the event.

Also the same 2 turn strategy can be pulled off by a storm elf and myth rat dealing 1000 in two turns.

Survivor
Dec 22, 2013
I think KI should make a tutorial for the Beastmoon Mayhem event. I was just in 3 battles back to back to back with new players who had no idea what to do. Needless to say we lost each and every time.
PLEASE KI, make a tutorial.

Explorer
Oct 27, 2009
There IS a tutorial, Artemi will tell the full method but many dont read it, like i sad, it need to be in a quest form where MUST read the instructions before you are ever allowed to play.

And you just cannot hit skip skip skip skip.

Explorer
Oct 27, 2009
Thats the thing , people dont have a starting tutorial that they cannot skip.

Im in Beastmoon mayhem, Im not going to sit there and teach you how to play because you didnt even read the basics.

And then if you tell someone to Go read the instructionis, their first word is your a bully or a karen or some type of something to ingnore the fact they didnt read the manual, instructions. That it isnt their fault, its your fault cause you are bullying them.

Ive seen more people get mutes because they tell people to go read the instructions than the people in commons using all the fake words to curse and use horrible sexually explicit things.

How does that make sense at all?

FORCE NEW players to take amandatory Training course like Diego does with PVP. Surely someone there has said it would be a good idea. Yet the players have to suffer their good experience with people who didnt even read the manual and likely won't and ruin 10 matches while they LEARN.

Defender
Jul 26, 2013
I just came back to wizard after two months and the beastmoon hunt was going on. I was so excited because I love this event. When I went there, I saw everything the same except where to join. I couldn't find the join button anywhere. Can anybody explain where it's been moved to since the spring update?

Survivor
Dec 26, 2010
crystalwizard12345... on Nov 22, 2021 wrote:

Coming from decades of back ground in training hundreds of employees I think I can safely say that you have overlooked a basic element.

Beatmoon, whether the Hunt or Mayhem, is a game that allows people to grow by experience; but the foundation has to be based on something. That something are the tips and advice from other more experienced players. This serves as a starting point for them to better understand what is happening and eventually develop their own strategies.

As far as the basics of both events and additional detailed discussions that take the evolution of the game into account, there ARE a couple of guides on W101 Central that are used by many, MANY people to get started.

As far as common sense, that is difficult at best to "point out" because each person sees things from a different perspective, as such what may be common sense to one person may be a revelation from God to another.

There has been so much great advice on this "thread" and I hope it keeps going and growing as the game does; but I strongly caution people who fall back on only learning from experience OR "Common sense".

There is really only 1 singular rule/strategy that will never change; Teamwork is the key to winning and that means communication and a willingness to guide (not boss) each other and learn from each others strengths and weaknesses.

One last observation: Keep explanations simple for new players. They do not have the foundation experience to deal with hyper detailed instructions yet. As an example:

You could tell someone to:

"Contract the muscles of your face so that the 2 furthest opposing points are facing in the opposite direction of the center of your gravity"

OR you could just say:

"Smile"

Survivor
Feb 21, 2014
I'm new to the forums, so I'm not sure if this is the right place for this.

However, I noticed that Life Elf seems to give triple the pips instead of double the pips with its pip spell. So, it's 3 pips every turn instead of 2.

It's a simple thing, but more pips mean bigger spells that deal more damage.

Survivor
Dec 26, 2010
MetiorIce on Jun 6, 2022 wrote:
I'm new to the forums, so I'm not sure if this is the right place for this.

However, I noticed that Life Elf seems to give triple the pips instead of double the pips with its pip spell. So, it's 3 pips every turn instead of 2.

It's a simple thing, but more pips mean bigger spells that deal more damage.
Welcome to the Forums.

You have a great eye! That observation is a great example of the "little"things that can help others who read this Forum. I wish more people would also point out things like this that will benefit all the readers who may not have noticed it.

Good Job.

Survivor
Mar 19, 2009
Mayhem is supposed to have an anvil where you can craft golden idols, the current event and previous event have nothing loaded, will this be fixed anytime soon?