Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The new Summer Update Spellements

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 18, 2011
Hopefully this post doesn't get censored like my previous one, but these spellements are way too pay to win. It is crazy that free players have no way to obtain these new, OP spells. Almost the entire community hates this change: look at the comments on your most recent twitter post and also look at this comment from Blake. The entire community does not like this, please change this!

Historian
Aug 10, 2009
KI

Are they only available to get thru spellements? or are the spells themselves dropped somewhere like maybe loremaster? If not, will they ever be available as drops?

Explorer
Mar 08, 2009
I get what you're saying, and I think you're partially right. Spellements does seem to come with more spending, for example, I just dropped $50 on Celestial packs. I got just about all the gear, pets, housing items, and all the spells except the fire one.

However, I do like Spellements over dropped spells. Reason one, I can just keep buying packs on one wizard without worry of getting a spell drop I don't want. For example, if I'm on an ice wizard trying to get Celestial Intervention and I get Spiritual Tribunal, I'd be pretty annoyed. However, spellements can be traded between wizards - meaning that no matter which wizard I get them on, I can just transfer them to the wizard of the appropriate school.

I think spellements are the correct way to go, but I feel that the amount of spellements you get when you do receive them is a bit low/uneven.

Explorer
Nov 23, 2008
I bought about 30,000 thousand crowns worth of the new Celestia pack. These gear stats are horrible. The wands with no crit, horrible. I have a Max Storm, 175 damage, 100% crit, and 100% pips. If I were to put on the wand I would loose over 100 crit putting me down to 76% crit, and only adding one damage. This is not worth it. The Robes although are very nice looking, are the same, no crit, high health. KI, when are you going to give us a robe that is even better then Malistaire. What a waste of crowns today. I'm not very happy at all with this pack. Housing items are ok, but nothing fantastic. Is this honestly the best you guys can do? So far the only gear that you guys have come out with are Dragoon hat, ring and boots for Storm, and the Sinbad pack for the wand. Why is it that this gear for a new pack with beautiful looking gear is so bad? Why are you all trying to knock our stats way back again? I really don't understand all this shadow pip usage. After almost 12 years of playing I am totally blown away about all of this!

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
The spells the KI Team know we need (such as a 4 Pip Life AoE, Myth Heal, Balance Spiritual Attack etc.) are always teased and locked behind packs with no alternative ways of gaining/learning the spell.

As we have just seen with this summer update (despite massive feedback requesting an overhaul of the reagents required to craft for example Grendel's [50 Flying Squid?!]) it seems these "changes" are rolled into the live realm anyways.
We would love to go back to the days when new, exciting and clever spells were made available to us the old fashion way;

Through questing [Grizzleheim/Wintertusk]
Through crafting [Reasonable and obtainable reagents]

What happened to these fundamental alternatives?

Please bring them back.

[Moderator: Edited inflammatory comments]

Survivor
Sep 04, 2008
I agree that this type of spellement release is definitely not FTP friendly, and that this should not become the norm, but the most recent spells are far from OP. Death is the only that really struck gold here, and even then it's not an over powered spell, but one that many death wizards have been wishing for a long time. The rest of these new spells have a niche but don't do anything game breaking imo.

Survivor
Jul 18, 2011
XxMoonMasteryxX on Jul 23, 2020 wrote:
I get what you're saying, and I think you're partially right. Spellements does seem to come with more spending, for example, I just dropped $50 on Celestial packs. I got just about all the gear, pets, housing items, and all the spells except the fire one.

However, I do like Spellements over dropped spells. Reason one, I can just keep buying packs on one wizard without worry of getting a spell drop I don't want. For example, if I'm on an ice wizard trying to get Celestial Intervention and I get Spiritual Tribunal, I'd be pretty annoyed. However, spellements can be traded between wizards - meaning that no matter which wizard I get them on, I can just transfer them to the wizard of the appropriate school.

I think spellements are the correct way to go, but I feel that the amount of spellements you get when you do receive them is a bit low/uneven.
I see what you're saying but I'm unsure if I prefer spellements as they are currently to dropped spells. As things currently are, one needs to spend at least 200k crowns to get all of the spells to be fully upgraded. As an avid PVP'er, having access to a good arsenal of spells is incredibly important, and a fully upgraded spiritual tribunal or nautilus is much better than their non-upgraded counterparts.

Not only do I think that it's insane that it costs 200k for the upgraded version of these spells, but I think it's completely unfair that the only way to obtain these spells in the first place is by spending real money. Not only that, but it's crazy that you spent $50 on packs and didn't even get access to all of the spells! Given that essentially all of us pay for memberships, I cannot believe that Kingsisle is adding these spells to the game, where you can only obtain/upgrade them through real money.

I love the concept of spellements, being able to change your spells to fit your style of play, but why can't they all be free? Then, players would be able to explore and there would be way more different archetypes of play within PVP. Having this massive paywall, let alone any paywall, completely detracts from the gaming experience and makes it so incredibly unfair. Why can't KI give their new spells to everyone for free? I would be totally fine with having packs drop reskins of spells (a totally different animation that does the exact same effect), but I honestly think the game is unplayable right now if I have to spend more than $50 to even obtain these new spells (not even at their upgraded forms). I feel like eventually Loremaster or some other boss is going to occasionally drop these spellements. This has been KI's solution for awhile, but I honestly think it's just how they can appease players by claiming that it's possible to get these spells with a free to play method. However, as we all know, farming these spells can take hundreds of hours, which leads to a miserable game experience and means that taking a job and paying for it with real money is a better/faster use of one's time.

In short, KI, please make your spells/spellements easily freely obtainable. The Grizzleheim lore pack was bad (exclusive spells one can get only through money for over a year), but this is just unacceptable. It is not fair to force your community to pay at least 200k crowns to get these spells, especially when the playerbase is paying at least $60/year for a membership. As someone who has spent hundreds of dollars on this game, I am never playing this game ever again until this is addressed. I would encourage others to do the same.

Survivor
Feb 26, 2011
These spells need improvements. I get that maybe the devs do not want to go too far into pay to win and release paid OP spells. But come on. If a person is putting money in your pocket at least make the spell viable.

I have no issue with feeding money into the development of a game that I enjoy. I opened $50 worth of packs and got 3/4 of the spells. But when I looked close at them I was disappointed.

Celestial Intervention. REALLY BAD! Now this is a 4 pip spell. For this discussion lets assume that an ice wizard is casting it. That is 2 power pips and 3 defense shields to heal 300 damage at the first level. Fairy heals 400 for the same amount of pips and I don't lose any shields. It is not until tier 3 that I can get more healing then fairy. Based on my experience with opening packs I would have to spend close to $200 to reach that level.

Ship of Fools. The animation is WAY too long. It is fun the first couple of time you see it but just like ice giant, sirens and others it will get old FAST. I like the spell but the animation alone will make it hardly used for me.

Spiritual Tribunal. Not terrible but having this at 80% accuracy and spectral blast at 85% doesn't make sense to me. This is an easy fix. just bump it to the same accuracy as spectral blast.

Nautilus Unleashed. Where do I even begin with this one. I kinda just love this one. No complaints from me on this.

The worst past is that these are locked behind packs. I hope that the devs consider making some special events where these maybe drop from the loremaster or another place for a limited time later.

Explorer
Mar 08, 2009
Darkwacky on Jul 23, 2020 wrote:
These spells need improvements. I get that maybe the devs do not want to go too far into pay to win and release paid OP spells. But come on. If a person is putting money in your pocket at least make the spell viable.

I have no issue with feeding money into the development of a game that I enjoy. I opened $50 worth of packs and got 3/4 of the spells. But when I looked close at them I was disappointed.

Celestial Intervention. REALLY BAD! Now this is a 4 pip spell. For this discussion lets assume that an ice wizard is casting it. That is 2 power pips and 3 defense shields to heal 300 damage at the first level. Fairy heals 400 for the same amount of pips and I don't lose any shields. It is not until tier 3 that I can get more healing then fairy. Based on my experience with opening packs I would have to spend close to $200 to reach that level.

Ship of Fools. The animation is WAY too long. It is fun the first couple of time you see it but just like ice giant, sirens and others it will get old FAST. I like the spell but the animation alone will make it hardly used for me.

Spiritual Tribunal. Not terrible but having this at 80% accuracy and spectral blast at 85% doesn't make sense to me. This is an easy fix. just bump it to the same accuracy as spectral blast.

Nautilus Unleashed. Where do I even begin with this one. I kinda just love this one. No complaints from me on this.

The worst past is that these are locked behind packs. I hope that the devs consider making some special events where these maybe drop from the loremaster or another place for a limited time later.
From what I understand, Celestial Intervention also counts traps. So you're removing traps from you in addition to healing

Survivor
Feb 26, 2011
From what I understand, Celestial Intervention also counts traps. So you're removing traps from you in addition to healing
Just tested and it does not count traps. Only beneficial shields.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
This was updated this morning to fix it. Announcement HERE

Explorer
Mar 08, 2009
Darkwacky on Jul 24, 2020 wrote:
Just tested and it does not count traps. Only beneficial shields.
Oh. I guess they changed it, it used to in the Test Realm. Nevermind then, Celestial Intervention is pretty underwhelming in that case.

To anyone in charge reading this, can we get it to include traps? Like, in any relevant case of Celestial Intervention vs any shield, you're likely going to stop more damage than you could possibly heal with that spell. It's completely irrelevant otherwise.

Survivor
Oct 18, 2014
Spellementals are currently functioning on a pay-to-win system. As soon as the first pack came out, everyone in the community got upset because we knew where the game was headed. I don't want to offend anyone on the KI team, because I love this game dearly, however, the addition of requiring people to pay real money to unlock very useful spells seems greedy. This completely excludes lower-income wizards from being able to enjoy the new spells the team have worked very hard on. I have some solutions on how we can improve this system though though.

Loremaster is currently running on a system of dropping spells randomly. This works well and there are always wizards there farming this boss to get their favorite spells. What if we also added in spellemental spells into this pool of spells. There are two possible options that I see that could work very well.

Option 1: Allow the spellemental spells to be fully unlocked when dropped from Loremaster. This would add every exclusively spellemental spell to loremasters drop pool. Instead of her dropping spellementals themselves, this would unlock the spell completely. The catch would be that if you wanted to upgrade any of these new spells, you would have to buy the spellemental packs that are in the crown shop.

Option 2: Spellementals for every classic loremaster spell could be dropped along side the newly released spelemental spells. This would add every loremaster spell to the spellemental pool. Instead of her unlocking a random spell completely, she would drop a random spellemental & amount every time (like in the new Celestian Spellemental pack). This would get rid of the need to pay crowns for spellementals if you can not afford them. The old loremaster spells would only be come obtainable from getting a certain amount of spellementals, whilst the new spellemental spells will be able to be unlocked & upgraded. This also leaves wiggle room for KI to add a new pack containing loremaster upgrade spellementals and whatever else they see fit.

Option 3: Use training points to unlock the spellemental spells in Wizard City or the Arcanum. I thought I would throw this in here as well because as a max wizard, I currently have over 22 unused training points. This would fully unlock the spell, however like in option 1, you could only upgrade them if you purchased the packs.

Once again, I really want to thank KI for adding in this fun new way of unlocking spells, but I believe that if you force people to pay to get them, it excludes a lot of wizards who might not be able to afford it. Anyways, I put a lot of thought into this to make it the best it could be and I would appreciate if you could reply and boost this to get this message to developers. Thanks so much guys and I hope you like my idea!

Survivor
Jul 18, 2011
Tyler ThunderCalle... on Jul 28, 2020 wrote:
Spellementals are currently functioning on a pay-to-win system. As soon as the first pack came out, everyone in the community got upset because we knew where the game was headed. I don't want to offend anyone on the KI team, because I love this game dearly, however, the addition of requiring people to pay real money to unlock very useful spells seems greedy. This completely excludes lower-income wizards from being able to enjoy the new spells the team have worked very hard on. I have some solutions on how we can improve this system though though.

Loremaster is currently running on a system of dropping spells randomly. This works well and there are always wizards there farming this boss to get their favorite spells. What if we also added in spellemental spells into this pool of spells. There are two possible options that I see that could work very well.

Option 1: Allow the spellemental spells to be fully unlocked when dropped from Loremaster. This would add every exclusively spellemental spell to loremasters drop pool. Instead of her dropping spellementals themselves, this would unlock the spell completely. The catch would be that if you wanted to upgrade any of these new spells, you would have to buy the spellemental packs that are in the crown shop.

Option 2: Spellementals for every classic loremaster spell could be dropped along side the newly released spelemental spells. This would add every loremaster spell to the spellemental pool. Instead of her unlocking a random spell completely, she would drop a random spellemental & amount every time (like in the new Celestian Spellemental pack). This would get rid of the need to pay crowns for spellementals if you can not afford them. The old loremaster spells would only be come obtainable from getting a certain amount of spellementals, whilst the new spellemental spells will be able to be unlocked & upgraded. This also leaves wiggle room for KI to add a new pack containing loremaster upgrade spellementals and whatever else they see fit.

Option 3: Use training points to unlock the spellemental spells in Wizard City or the Arcanum. I thought I would throw this in here as well because as a max wizard, I currently have over 22 unused training points. This would fully unlock the spell, however like in option 1, you could only upgrade them if you purchased the packs.

Once again, I really want to thank KI for adding in this fun new way of unlocking spells, but I believe that if you force people to pay to get them, it excludes a lot of wizards who might not be able to afford it. Anyways, I put a lot of thought into this to make it the best it could be and I would appreciate if you could reply and boost this to get this message to developers. Thanks so much guys and I hope you like my idea!
I agree with most of what you said, Tyler, but I think that all players should be able to get the fully upgraded spells without paying money. Especially in PVP, it doesn't seem fair that the players who pay more money would be able to use better spells than those who don't. But yes, I agree that currently spellements are incredibly pay to win.