Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Earthquake has way too much value and should be changed.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 15, 2020
After fighting my way through many myth enemies in Khrysalis and while getting to Khrysalis, I've come to a conclusion about the spell Earthquake. I started looking at the fact that Earthquake currently does 310 damage to each enemy for 6 pips, and while that damage looks weak, I justified it with the fact that it also has utility. But then I started to look into it more and I remembered that you can split the utility into two spells that already exist: Enfeeble and Shatter.

Each of those spells cost 3 pips, so I thought, if you add the cost of removing all charms and all wards from an enemy, it should cost 6 or maybe even 5 pips. But here's the problem, Earthquake does that to all enemies in one turn, in a 4v4 that's 24 pips worth of value and some damage to everyone all for the cost of 6 pips, if that doesn't seem broken, I don't know what is. Because even with just one enemy, you're casting both Shatter (Which Myths have access to anyway) and Enfeeble (Which should be a storm utility only) in one round and doing damage for more than what the combined value of those spells are. There's also the fact that all of this is happening in one round, which means it's almost like you're cast 2 or 3 spells in on turn which is like a pseudo-stun for all enemies.

Now you may be looking at this and thinking, well it removes ALL charms and wards so it can actually help the enemy by getting rid of negative charms and wards. Well, there's still another problem, removing negative wards doesn't matter because the Earthquake will use up most negative wards for damage because the removal happens after damage. Negative blades are in the same field, negative blades don't impact much except for when it a -90% from Efreet or -45% from some other spell y which point the enemy has already used a wand hit to get rid of it or has dealt with another way. So if you look at it clearly, most of the time, you're not removing anything negative accept for in those rare cases. So Earthquake really is just "Remove all positive Charms and Blades from all enemies".

There's also another way to look at it, and THIS is actually what's really IMPORTANT and why I think the charm and ward removal should be turned down a notch. For every positive Charm and Ward removed from an enemy, that enemy has wasted that many turns building up what you just wiped out in one go. This is another pseudo-stun since someone could have done something different for all of those turns rather than effectively just passing every turn.

You may also have some thoughts such as, "If you know they're Myth and you know they're gonna earthquake, then just don't play blades or shields until after they Earthquake" and to you, I ask, what am I supposed to do for 2 or 3 turns while my enemy is building up those pips and can cast Earthquake at any moment? Because, sure, I can cast traps but they aren't that damaging and sure, auras aren't effected by Earthquake but they don't last long after you play them, so, really, I'm at a loss on my first few turns.

The only way I think you could change Earthquake to not be so ridiculously overpowered in groups is to keep the damage however you like, but just change it so that not ALL charms and wards are removed, maybe just have the last 1 or 2 of each positive charm and ward removed from each player.

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned before or is in the wrong area of the forum and I'm sorry if you're a Myth student or someone who disagrees, I've just been cucked way too many times and had more than 3 blades and or shields removed every time Earthquake strikes and it's just not fun to play against. Regardless, I am keen to hear what you have to say, so please, share your view with me and thank you for taking the time to read this long-winded post.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Nuclos1 on Jul 20, 2020 wrote:
After fighting my way through many myth enemies in Khrysalis and while getting to Khrysalis, I've come to a conclusion about the spell Earthquake. I started looking at the fact that Earthquake currently does 310 damage to each enemy for 6 pips, and while that damage looks weak, I justified it with the fact that it also has utility. But then I started to look into it more and I remembered that you can split the utility into two spells that already exist: Enfeeble and Shatter.

Each of those spells cost 3 pips, so I thought, if you add the cost of removing all charms and all wards from an enemy, it should cost 6 or maybe even 5 pips. But here's the problem, Earthquake does that to all enemies in one turn, in a 4v4 that's 24 pips worth of value and some damage to everyone all for the cost of 6 pips, if that doesn't seem broken, I don't know what is. Because even with just one enemy, you're casting both Shatter (Which Myths have access to anyway) and Enfeeble (Which should be a storm utility only) in one round and doing damage for more than what the combined value of those spells are. There's also the fact that all of this is happening in one round, which means it's almost like you're cast 2 or 3 spells in on turn which is like a pseudo-stun for all enemies.

Now you may be looking at this and thinking, well it removes ALL charms and wards so it can actually help the enemy by getting rid of negative charms and wards. Well, there's still another problem, removing negative wards doesn't matter because the Earthquake will use up most negative wards for damage because the removal happens after damage. Negative blades are in the same field, negative blades don't impact much except for when it a -90% from Efreet or -45% from some other spell y which point the enemy has already used a wand hit to get rid of it or has dealt with another way. So if you look at it clearly, most of the time, you're not removing anything negative accept for in those rare cases. So Earthquake really is just "Remove all positive Charms and Blades from all enemies".

There's also another way to look at it, and THIS is actually what's really IMPORTANT and why I think the charm and ward removal should be turned down a notch. For every positive Charm and Ward removed from an enemy, that enemy has wasted that many turns building up what you just wiped out in one go. This is another pseudo-stun since someone could have done something different for all of those turns rather than effectively just passing every turn.

You may also have some thoughts such as, "If you know they're Myth and you know they're gonna earthquake, then just don't play blades or shields until after they Earthquake" and to you, I ask, what am I supposed to do for 2 or 3 turns while my enemy is building up those pips and can cast Earthquake at any moment? Because, sure, I can cast traps but they aren't that damaging and sure, auras aren't effected by Earthquake but they don't last long after you play them, so, really, I'm at a loss on my first few turns.

The only way I think you could change Earthquake to not be so ridiculously overpowered in groups is to keep the damage however you like, but just change it so that not ALL charms and wards are removed, maybe just have the last 1 or 2 of each positive charm and ward removed from each player.

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned before or is in the wrong area of the forum and I'm sorry if you're a Myth student or someone who disagrees, I've just been cucked way too many times and had more than 3 blades and or shields removed every time Earthquake strikes and it's just not fun to play against. Regardless, I am keen to hear what you have to say, so please, share your view with me and thank you for taking the time to read this long-winded post.
I think myth is fine at where they are now and deserves all the power they can get.
Its the rise of the Illuminati.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Ratbeard and Kingsisle team audited attack and heal spells on every wizard for game balance. All the spell that changed and put in live Realm means Kingisle is satified along with the feedback. Earthquake is now balanced according to Ratbeard and the roundtable team's figures. Therefore most likely the spells will not be change again anytime soon

Champion
Nov 22, 2008
Patrick Ravenbane on Jul 24, 2020 wrote:
Ratbeard and Kingsisle team audited attack and heal spells on every wizard for game balance. All the spell that changed and put in live Realm means Kingisle is satified along with the feedback. Earthquake is now balanced according to Ratbeard and the roundtable team's figures. Therefore most likely the spells will not be change again anytime soon
Actually, they stated that they looked at the rank 8 and up spells, as well a s buffing the rank 7 spells. The suggestion that they are done is simply misinformed.

In fact, Earthquake is one that they talked about changing on stream due to it's "infinite removal." There should be a point at which Earthquake can't remove the blades and charms anymore. It has damage and the value of a shatter and an enfeeble, and that alone is 7 pips of value MINIMUM being put on a rank 6 spell.

I expect the spells below rank 7 will be audited at a later date, but Earthquake is one of the main reasons I don't like playing on my lower level wizards. I do it, but it feels like a chore.

Could we get Sparck or someone to comment on this? The silence on this specific spell after so many changes to other problematic spells is kind of worrying.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
rest on Jul 25, 2020 wrote:
Actually, they stated that they looked at the rank 8 and up spells, as well a s buffing the rank 7 spells. The suggestion that they are done is simply misinformed.

In fact, Earthquake is one that they talked about changing on stream due to it's "infinite removal." There should be a point at which Earthquake can't remove the blades and charms anymore. It has damage and the value of a shatter and an enfeeble, and that alone is 7 pips of value MINIMUM being put on a rank 6 spell.

I expect the spells below rank 7 will be audited at a later date, but Earthquake is one of the main reasons I don't like playing on my lower level wizards. I do it, but it feels like a chore.

Could we get Sparck or someone to comment on this? The silence on this specific spell after so many changes to other problematic spells is kind of worrying.
I know Kingsisle wanted to look at Earthquake besides 8 pip + spells but if it wasn't autited yet then when did the damage change from 315 to 370? I noticed that during test realm or did that change took place on an earlier date?

Delver
Dec 13, 2008
rest on Jul 25, 2020 wrote:

dont worry the spell audit that happened in test was only the beginning and ratbeard in a dev letter said there is much MUCH more to come test was only meant to be the shadow spells but they changed a lot of rank 7-10s the next batch is more than likely tc/item cards and a lot more changes to lower rank spells and lore spells, speaking of lore spells those are also being changed this i am not sure if he mentioned a date but it is assured ALL spells with be a victim of this audit and changed just sit tight

ps. they also plan to changed gear stats too and with a small team as them they cant just do this all in a singular month let alone a week

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
iouman2013 on Jul 28, 2020 wrote:
dont worry the spell audit that happened in test was only the beginning and ratbeard in a dev letter said there is much MUCH more to come test was only meant to be the shadow spells but they changed a lot of rank 7-10s the next batch is more than likely tc/item cards and a lot more changes to lower rank spells and lore spells, speaking of lore spells those are also being changed this i am not sure if he mentioned a date but it is assured ALL spells with be a victim of this audit and changed just sit tight

ps. they also plan to changed gear stats too and with a small team as them they cant just do this all in a singular month let alone a week

I hope ratbeard and the Kingsisle team does something with the critical systems, Tempest and feint.. No one should be able to critical everything they hit and when you add feints plus storm spamming tempest, you pretty much have a godly team. Infact in my opinion, tempest the way it sits now ( 80 damage per a pip) with other AOE Storm spells make Storm overpowered. Feint is also overpowered for a ! pip spell and when you stack them along with other traps totaled up in a team battle, it's like roughly having additional 8 or 9 blades on top of the ones you have up already. All that together makes the team godly and the fight way overpowered. I feel Feint needs to be reduced to +50 from +70 and Tempest needs to be looked at to. I know players will disagree with me on this one but hey, it's only a game not meant to be a simply walk in the park through out the spiral

Coming from a causal player.

Delver
Dec 13, 2008
Patrick Ravenbane on Jul 28, 2020 wrote:
I hope ratbeard and the Kingsisle team does something with the critical systems, Tempest and feint.. No one should be able to critical everything they hit and when you add feints plus storm spamming tempest, you pretty much have a godly team. Infact in my opinion, tempest the way it sits now ( 80 damage per a pip) with other AOE Storm spells make Storm overpowered. Feint is also overpowered for a ! pip spell and when you stack them along with other traps totaled up in a team battle, it's like roughly having additional 8 or 9 blades on top of the ones you have up already. All that together makes the team godly and the fight way overpowered. I feel Feint needs to be reduced to +50 from +70 and Tempest needs to be looked at to. I know players will disagree with me on this one but hey, it's only a game not meant to be a simply walk in the park through out the spiral

thats a total toss up if they'll work on critical all i know from that dev note it said that its gonna be damage and resist (not sure if accuracy since one of the spoiler pages had a screenshot of a ingame code with accuracy being a rating too)

feint tho idk i feel like if it was cut down to 60% i'd be fine with that since they DID nerf a LOT of mobs hp and such and with there being i think 5 kinds

pet, gear, mass, potent and tc (may be more) i think we could honestly make due since there that many lol

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
iouman2013 on Jul 28, 2020 wrote:

Pretty sure lore spells will be off limits due to the amount of players already investing real currency for those spells.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Patrick Ravenbane on Jul 28, 2020 wrote:

I think your suggestive term for overpowered with these spells pretty much lack credibility. The fact of the matter is there are players who prefer speedy grinds and those who like to take it slow pace. Since we are moving up in worlds and farming becoming more tedious, i think speedy trials are way better in that comparison. Storm already got gutted with these nerfs for no real reason, mean while fire out here getting all the major perks. Not only did k i killed 2 of my most fav schools pve and pvp wise but your also demanding that the play-style storm main depends on as the leading role of hitters, be strip or altered solely because of an opinion u have of what is deemed over powered.

Delver
Dec 13, 2008
angellifeheart on Jul 30, 2020 wrote:
Pretty sure lore spells will be off limits due to the amount of players already investing real currency for those spells.
lol one would think that but no this is unfortunately going to happen (i personally dont want a nerf of any kind especially towards pigsie i've invest into making that spell on my main ice death life and balance and my second accounts death and plan too on the second accounts life ice and balance again if that specific spell was nerfed i'd literally flip) and with it being the top devs decision we have no choice in the matter