Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pet maycast ability not activating?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 09, 2010
Hello all, I know that may cast skills have triggers and I have looked into them prior to writing this. My acid rain core has two 'shield removing' abilities; ward wrecker and steal ward. After finishing celestia, all the way through azteca neither of these skills have activated once. I have repeated boss fights filling my deck with traps to help trigger the abilities. Casting them time after time (almost losing fights trying to trigger these abilities) but to no avail. Im more wondering if enemies in the mid game have resistance to these skills or something? My pet has healing abilities that get casts regularly, so I know the pet isnt totally dysfunctional. If anyone has any input or comments I would appreciate the help! Currently working on a new pet since those two traits dont do anything for me (was very sad, thought this would be the end of my problems with tower shield on ice monsters ).

-Talon Starbane (Level 88 death wizard)

Survivor
Apr 16, 2012
Looks like you've got loads of bad luck! Shatter has a very generous trigger I believe; having a chance of casting whenever a ward that being either a trap or a shield is cast on a opponent. I don't believe enemies have the secret power of resisting a may cast by lowering its chance, but some bosses encountered may react to a may cast via a cheat they happen to have. I can inform you some may cast talents have different cast rates than others I believe, even if the spell cast have the same function or utility.

A good example would be Sprite versus Fairy; Sprite may cast more even though their spells both heal the player.

If you are down to train another pet I recommend changing out steal ward for a pierce may cast, as it may be more reliable. I'd like to see you give shatter another shot though, I've heard it really shines when you get into PVP.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Some of these may cast abilities as you have experienced, hardly actually cast in battle.

The abilities your pet has I must say are close to useless as you continue to progress within the game.

I strongly recommend hatching over and creating a much better equipped pet that can actually aid you in battle.

Perhaps one with damage and resistive boosting traits or one focusing on damage solely (not healing, as a death, no need for healing abilities in PvE).

The mobs have no control over the rate at which pet may cast spells.

It's just the game's mechanics and actually a little luck at times.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Since the Spring 2020 update, I suspect a pet's "happiness" may influence how often they trigger a may-cast talent. Happier pets heal and shield more.

As for the specific talents, I've noted that Ward Wrecker is extremely rare. (This was true even before the last game & pet update.) Pierce triggers far more often, usually when I place a trap or the enemy puts down a shield. I've never seen a steal shield talent at work, but I know my Guardian Wall talent triggers fairly often to shield me when I take damage.

Anyway, if your pet isn't fully "happy," try boosting that up and see if it makes a difference.

Alia Misthaven