Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Walking with mouse has issues with doorways

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 18, 2009
This issue has existed in the game since the very beginning and I think it's about time it's addressed.

I feel like most people don't know this, but you can control your character movement completely using your mouse. Right click allows you to turn when you move the mouse side to side, left click lets you rotate the camera without the character, and clicking both allows you to make the character walk forward. If you have a mouse with macro buttons to bind X, you don't need the keyboard at all to control gameplay.

It's quickly mentioned at the bottom left "page" of the guides.
https://www.wizard101.com/w101playersguide/getting-around1

With the background done...

The walk forward movement using mouse controls, meaning pressing both left and right click at the same time, doesn't work properly when going through different zones. If the player is walking when the zone change occurs (loading screen), the player continues to run on the other side, even if the mouse buttons are released during the loading screen.

While at first glance it isn't a big issue, there are a lot of doorways where there are enemies right outside the next zone. In other words, your character runs right into the enemies, sometimes while the loading screen is still open due to the slight lag. I can't imagine this is too difficult to fix, even if it means that the buttons need to be released and pressed again on the other side of the doorway.

Since I know KI staff monitors these posts and there are a lot of other bugs being fixed at the moment, can this be one of them?

Thank you for the insane amount of work put into the artwork and assets of W101, and I hope to see this fixed!

Administrator
serene sparks on May 9, 2020 wrote:
This issue has existed in the game since the very beginning and I think it's about time it's addressed.

I feel like most people don't know this, but you can control your character movement completely using your mouse. Right click allows you to turn when you move the mouse side to side, left click lets you rotate the camera without the character, and clicking both allows you to make the character walk forward. If you have a mouse with macro buttons to bind X, you don't need the keyboard at all to control gameplay.

It's quickly mentioned at the bottom left "page" of the guides.
https://www.wizard101.com/w101playersguide/getting-around1

With the background done...

The walk forward movement using mouse controls, meaning pressing both left and right click at the same time, doesn't work properly when going through different zones. If the player is walking when the zone change occurs (loading screen), the player continues to run on the other side, even if the mouse buttons are released during the loading screen.

While at first glance it isn't a big issue, there are a lot of doorways where there are enemies right outside the next zone. In other words, your character runs right into the enemies, sometimes while the loading screen is still open due to the slight lag. I can't imagine this is too difficult to fix, even if it means that the buttons need to be released and pressed again on the other side of the doorway.

Since I know KI staff monitors these posts and there are a lot of other bugs being fixed at the moment, can this be one of them?

Thank you for the insane amount of work put into the artwork and assets of W101, and I hope to see this fixed!

This is indeed a long-standing issue. I'll update the team on the community's interest here.