Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The MAIN problem with removing PvP gear...

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Dec 29, 2008
SIDE NOTE: I know this would be better in ideas, but in retrospect, MOST PvP players are considering this a problem.

I've heard that PvP gear is going to be retired with no compensation. The problem for every player who uses it will have to farm for the jewels ALL over again. In order to fix this situation, I hereby propose an idea to fix this situation.

For Compensation:

x3 Random Ultra Class Jewel Packs
"A higher chance to receive jewels for your level."

So If I was to open this pack, I would have an almost guaranteed chance of receiving 3-4. But a guaranteed chance for 2.

And may I say again, an actual Higher chance to get jewels for your level.

And to add on even more worth, I suggest KI does NOT put this pack in the crown shop. People who watch KI Live and enter competitions, and are considered "an honorable mention" or 3rd place should receive this.

Explorer
Oct 24, 2019
Epic Mrman67 on May 7, 2020 wrote:
SIDE NOTE: I know this would be better in ideas, but in retrospect, MOST PvP players are considering this a problem.

I've heard that PvP gear is going to be retired with no compensation. The problem for every player who uses it will have to farm for the jewels ALL over again. In order to fix this situation, I hereby propose an idea to fix this situation.

For Compensation:

So If I was to open this pack, I would have an almost guaranteed chance of receiving 3-4. But a guaranteed chance for 2.

And to add on even more worth, I suggest KI does NOT put this pack in the crown shop. People who watch KI Live and enter competitions, and are considered "an honorable mention" or 3rd place should receive this.
I'm seeing this too much so it's time I throw my hat into this one...

Compensating Players for taking advantage of unfair/advantaged setups/systems upon the start of a New PvP Age is senseless.

My takes of what's going on are...
1. They're not "removing" PvP Gear but, They're making them "Age Restricted"
Therefore, Retiring "Current" PvP Gear to the Previous Age, meaning you must climb the Ladder to Commander again to use the 5th Age Commander Set.
2. (Could Be Combined with the 1st Take), they're considering the inclusion of Age Specific Sets with Stats unseen in Previous Ages and Sets designed Possibly for Classes and Gimmicks that promote "future activity" within the Arena, something ALREADY DONE in Pirate101 with their Seasonal Rank Sets.

Transparency of the wording used in the Update Notes WOULD be appreciated via a Kingsisle Representative as the definition of "Retired/Retiring" is used so loosely now that it creates some logical confusion as Bundles/Packs/etc. are brought back to sale frequently and features occasionally brought back, meaning using Terms for them like "Retired" just feels "wrong" like the uncomfortable feeling you get when you're stepping foot into a place you shouldn't be in.

My suggestion for wording these Bundles/Packs/Features/etc. is that they're "Unavailable". Age Specific Gear should be labelled as "Age Locked/Age Restricted". TRULY Retired Items would include things like: The Veterans Day Commemorative Statue, Selena Gomez Statue, old Crown Shop Hats/Robes/Boots, etc., NOT Bundles/Packs/etc.

Removing PvP Gears/Rewards outright (With the exception of Locking Older Age Gears), I will agree is senseless since PvP is a HUGE part of Wizard101 but the wording suggests that there are planned revisions being made to eliminate "unfair advantages" associated to PvP.
I DO find it "odd" that certain Snacks/etc. were "removed" like Warlord's Wursts because Players stockpiled them but what's the point in punishing Players for Wurst Stockpiling when you don't do anything towards Players who stockpile other Mega Snacks from Gardening or Crafted Mega Snacks from Fishing? If having too many snacks to use towards Pet Building, etc. is the problem, you have one of three solutions:

1. Inflate the Cost of the Mega Snacks making them harder to keep a Larger Quantity of. Warlord Wurst would be changed to 150-200 Tickets, etc.
2. Similar to the Real World with how Food works, Pet Snacks become "Rotten" when sitting in your Inventory for more than a Couple of Days - 1 Week. Rotten Pet Snacks would NOT provide "Happiness" to your Pet, in fact "Upsetting" them (Take away Happiness) and provide ZERO Stat Boosts when Feeding. HOWEVER, you could incentivize having Rotten Pet Snacks by adding them to Crafting Recipes that could make Better Pet Snacks, Housing Items, etc.
3. Algorithm System that punishes Players from collecting too many Snacks at once. I'll use the Taomee Version of Wizard101 as an example. Taomee Wizard101 functioned to where if a Player was Online for too long, the game's drop rates would DECREASE as time progressed in one sitting. This sort of algorithm could be applied to Gardening to demotivate Players from cashing in on ALL of their Elder Seeds at once and having Players GRADUALLY overtime obtain their Rewards and USING them in the NOW (Mixed with making Snacks "Rotten") instead of hoarding them. This system could also be adoptable to Beastmoon, Deckathalon, Fishing, etc. to inhibit unhealthy gameplay. This system is NOT meant to be Anti-Player but meant to be Pro-Health and Pro-Player Retaining, allowing Players to come back to Wizard more frequently for smaller tasks like Collecting Snacks, Fishing, etc. than to be like "Hey got my 200 Snacks from my Couch Potatoes, guess I'm done for the next couple days once I get my "Anti-Plant Need Spells" set up."

Back to PvP Gear at hand,
~Ask yourself~
Is it FAIR to send in a Player that's new to Wizard101 with a small experience in PvE to PvP with Gear that ISN'T designed for efficient PvP play against an individual 2-3 higher levels than they are equipped with Commander Sets, Ward Pets, Pack Wands, Deckathalon Decks, etc.? (Excluding "Match Making" Modifications for Pro-Newer Player and/or Pro-Older Player and/or the rational of "Go Play Wizard More and Come Back")

-My thought is NO-

GRANTED, there could eventually come an expanded Matchmaking System for PvP, similar to what's being done right now with Beastmoon as cited in their Update Notes:
(And we have a little bit of extra matchmaking magic behind the scenes to steer new players into matches together, and away from more experienced players/groups.)
PvP, imo, should be more inclusive to Newer Players and Players who are thwarted from climbing the PvP Ladder because someone had kept their Commander Gear from Age 1 and used it to achieve Warlord for the Past 4 Ages.

Additionally, the logic of "Go Play Wizard and Come Back" is anti-inclusivity, whether you believe it or not. Players come to the Game with ALL sorts of gameplay styles/skillsets/logical steps and telling a Player to follow your set definition of how to play a game is ABUSIVE and creates the unwelcoming stigma that PvP has garnered today. PvP was once a space that Players could utilize to relax from their stressful adventures in the Spiral by watching matchups, making friends and milking previously existing features (I always thought the amount of times May Cast Fairy would activate was funny) but PvP has now become a place for the narcissistic/egotistical, the selfish, and the malicious. This was NOT what I envisioned for the Future of PvP and it's saddening.

This all NEEDS addressed and I'm glad an addressing is STARTING with Beastmoon's Anti-Griefing Measures. (Although the System needs a little more tweaking to distinguish Connection Issues versus Legitimate Malice) MANY can agree that PvP has needed changes/balancing in a number of ways for a LONG time, we finally get to see our first glimpses of that with these adjustments.
NOW, some of you might say: "BuT iT MaKeS No MeNtIoN oF tHe GeAr, ItS jUsT tHe TiCkEt HoArDiNg, YoU cLoWn" - Sure, Ticket Hoarders. Ticket Hoarding IS a problem. It allows people to use their Tickets from Previous Ages towards the New Age and provides an unfair advantage to some who are financially fortunate and can spam the Crown Reroll feature from Tournaments to stockpile a bunch of Tickets.
I came equipped with suggestions on how to COMBAT Ticket Hoarding with one suggestion being a little inspiration from "Nintendo".

1: Nintendo has a Gold Currency System that allows you to use Gold towards purchases of additional products. Buying a $60 Game, you get 300 Gold Coins to use towards your next Game purchase ($3). These Gold Coins can be stockable BUT come with a caveat:

The Coins eventually (if unused), EXPIRE.

Therefore my thoughts for Tickets should be that Tickets can ONLY be usable for that particular Age. If you've kept Tickets until the Next Age, you'll notice when the New Age begins... Your Tickets are GONE. Therefore, you're inclined to spend your Tickets within the Age they're obtained in.

2. For those who suggest, "BuT MaH TeEcKuTs". There could be an incentive to KEEP older Age Tickets with the inclusion of "Ticket Reagents". For every 10 Tickets you'd collected, it'll turn into 1 Ticket reagent. Having 10 Ticket Reagents can grant you 1 Arena Ticket. Ticket Reagents can also be used to make things like: Roll of Tickets Housing Item, Single Ticket Housing Item, Ticket Machine Housing Items, etc. Tickets could also be craftable into Items that're provided by Arena Vendors.

3. Ticket Prices for MOST Items, Snacks, etc. can be Inflated, allowing the Crown Reroll feature to feel like it's worth something.

Things are never designed to last forever, as is with life. Things must change and adapt to stay fresh.
I seek for what is best for the Player AS WELL AS the Company/the Game. Hopefully, you feel the same.

Mastermind
Mar 19, 2011
Epic Mrman67 on May 7, 2020 wrote:

For Compensation:

What is this about PvP gear being retired.

What gear are we talking about?

Champion
Feb 06, 2010
Liam Swiftwalker on May 12, 2020 wrote:
What is this about PvP gear being retired.

What gear are we talking about?
Yes, when the fifth age happens (and maybe a little earlier) the current offered PVP gear will be retired.

No one needs to panic!! This is how they are “rebuilding PvP from the ground up”. They will retire the old gear, and create new gear. The senior designer stated that they wanted to have a clean slate going into the fifth age.

Mastermind
Mar 19, 2011
Blaze03554 on May 13, 2020 wrote:
Yes, when the fifth age happens (and maybe a little earlier) the current offered PVP gear will be retired.

No one needs to panic!! This is how they are “rebuilding PvP from the ground up”. They will retire the old gear, and create new gear. The senior designer stated that they wanted to have a clean slate going into the fifth age.

What exactly is this "pvp gear" you speak of?

Survivor
Nov 18, 2009
Y'all need to stop spreading wrong information! PvP gear isn't going to be retired. KI said they are planning to make new PvP gear and potentially a new currency other than arena tickets to purchase that gear. They said current PvP gear will remain in the game but they are going to try to make new, more appealing PvP gear. They specifically said they will not remove the current gear that we can purchase with arena tickets.

One reason for the new currency seems to be that they have seen people using some sort of hack to get hundreds of thousands of arena tickets. Also, they said they want everybody to start at the same place with 5th age PvP in terms of what gear they can buy and have access to. This was all said in a recent KI Live.

Delver
Mar 09, 2018
Liam Swiftwalker on May 13, 2020 wrote:
What exactly is this "pvp gear" you speak of?
Yeah as long as the duelist ring & athame stay I'm fine with whatever else they add