Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Nerfing Spells

AuthorMessage
Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
I am posting this on this board because it is becoming a problem for PvE players.

If you look at the PvP board, you will usually see several spells that PvP players want nerfed. I can't remember a time when there wasn't one or more threads for this purpose.

We just lost some Utility percentages on Loremaster because of this very thing.

If you look now you will still see the thread on Loremaster, but, there are others as well.

Mana Burn

Fire Beetle

Beguile

Guardian Spirit was nerfed within a short time after being released. Originally, it was 25% and dropped to 15%. Frankly, for 5 pips, I would consider that a waste of pips that could be used otherwise.

Burning Rampage did damage over 2 rounds but is now 3 rounds. Not a big deal but a bit easier to defend against.

We have seen in the past a number of spells from every school being an issue in PvP. We have also seen some of them tagged as NO PvP which is fine. But, when does it stop getting spells nerfed in PvE.

Losing the Utility percentages on Loremaster makes it virtually useless in PvE. Balance is hard enough to play as it is and when using as a Tank/Support for others, losing spell utilities and even a bit of damage is not a good thing.

If Mana Burn gets nerfed in PvE, what balance spell will be up next?

Fire Beetle does does 100 damage and +35% to the next 3 spells for 2 pips. Not really a big deal in PvE but it seems to be now in PvP. IF you look in WiKi, at "Fuel" you will find 2 Versions. One is 2 pips and the other is "0" pips but both are also +35% to the next 3 spells. Fire is not the only school to have similar "Fuel" spells. Just not attached to a low damage spell.

Mana Burn has 3 versions. Trained, is 5 pips, does 80 damage per pip (160 per power pip) and takes 3 pips(plain single pips are taken first and if needed to make the 3rd pip, then will take a power pip).....Item card Mana Burn is 5 pips, is also 80 damage per pip (160 per power pip) and takes 4 most recent pips or power pips. Another version of the Trained Mana Burn: 5 pips, 80 damage but takes 4 pips and does not specify single or power pips.

Beguile makes your target help you for ONE round for 3 pips. NO damage from this spell. Another Utility spell yet it seems to be a problem for PvP.

Please KI, stop nerfing spells in PvE.

Survivor
Dec 10, 2009
DragonLady1818 on Nov 15, 2019 wrote:
I am posting this on this board because it is becoming a problem for PvE players.

If you look at the PvP board, you will usually see several spells that PvP players want nerfed. I can't remember a time when there wasn't one or more threads for this purpose.

We just lost some Utility percentages on Loremaster because of this very thing.

If you look now you will still see the thread on Loremaster, but, there are others as well.

Mana Burn

Fire Beetle

Beguile

Guardian Spirit was nerfed within a short time after being released. Originally, it was 25% and dropped to 15%. Frankly, for 5 pips, I would consider that a waste of pips that could be used otherwise.

Burning Rampage did damage over 2 rounds but is now 3 rounds. Not a big deal but a bit easier to defend against.

We have seen in the past a number of spells from every school being an issue in PvP. We have also seen some of them tagged as NO PvP which is fine. But, when does it stop getting spells nerfed in PvE.

Losing the Utility percentages on Loremaster makes it virtually useless in PvE. Balance is hard enough to play as it is and when using as a Tank/Support for others, losing spell utilities and even a bit of damage is not a good thing.

If Mana Burn gets nerfed in PvE, what balance spell will be up next?

Fire Beetle does does 100 damage and +35% to the next 3 spells for 2 pips. Not really a big deal in PvE but it seems to be now in PvP. IF you look in WiKi, at "Fuel" you will find 2 Versions. One is 2 pips and the other is "0" pips but both are also +35% to the next 3 spells. Fire is not the only school to have similar "Fuel" spells. Just not attached to a low damage spell.

Mana Burn has 3 versions. Trained, is 5 pips, does 80 damage per pip (160 per power pip) and takes 3 pips(plain single pips are taken first and if needed to make the 3rd pip, then will take a power pip).....Item card Mana Burn is 5 pips, is also 80 damage per pip (160 per power pip) and takes 4 most recent pips or power pips. Another version of the Trained Mana Burn: 5 pips, 80 damage but takes 4 pips and does not specify single or power pips.

Beguile makes your target help you for ONE round for 3 pips. NO damage from this spell. Another Utility spell yet it seems to be a problem for PvP.

Please KI, stop nerfing spells in PvE.
I love your post, Dragonlady1818. You made some very great points. I would like to add to what you have said and second your response.

Balance has been attacked ruthlessly about their spells. Without these good spells in PvE, it becomes very difficult to win when soloing. Loremaster has saved me many times in battles against bosses, as well as fellow wizards if I'm in a group. It is now useless.

Burning Rampage will still be a problem in PvP because it can be protected by Fire Elf, but the PvE community must have it last another round for it to do its damage. What a useless update for a spell.

In my opinion, Fire Beetle is a little broken compared to all of the other beetles for PvP. But, I think it is useful in PvE. I agree with your point here.

Mana Burn needs to remain exactly the way it is. It is a good spell from first, especially if it shows up in the opening hand. I love to hit the bosses who have 6 or 7 power pips with it, and the other members of the group like it, too.

Beguile is a fun spell to use in PvE, and I sometimes use it depending on the battle. And, it does no damage as you said

Interestingly, the PvP community continues to shrink. I use to PvP, and I remember how packed it was. So many realms had so many players doing it. Now, there is scarcity. The changes and nerfing of spells KI have made and continues to make is not only hurting the PvE community, it is also hurting the PvP community.

Explorer
May 06, 2013
"Monster Mash" was one of those great spells. It was complained about so much in PVP KI took it out of the game instead of making it no-PVP. That spell was one of the favorites of mine. I think PVP spell casting debuffs shouldn't interfere with PVE