Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Old school W101 or New?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 02, 2010
Hello all,

I come from a time (about 2010) where this game was awesome. I still personally think it is awesome, but to everyone here that is from way back when, when the commercials were still on TV, do you prefer the old school Wizard 101 or the New School?

I personally like the OS better. Back when I first started, it was a huge achievement to get to level 60, and that was a max. Now when you hit L60, you got a long way to go. I also personally don't know if I should start a new Wizard are not. I feel so far behind that it's useless having a L60 Wizard right now... For the fact that i'm going up against level 2 bosses..

What are your opinions? Any pros or cons?

Defender
Nov 10, 2015
If you want to start a new wizard go ahead! The game is still fun when you play it again. My ice is level 87 and ive been playing over a year so this game really gives me something to do.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
I believe most of us preferred or liked the direction the game was headed back then. It's funny how seven years have already passed since then.

Must admit, things were a lot simpler and a little nicer then.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't be opened to change though.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
I started playing this game about 6 1/2 years ago and I still think its a lot of fun; questing, exploring dungeons and rescuing whoever needs to be rescued. lol . My first account was lost from being hacked in to. That was my fault; lesson learned. I like both the old and new school. It's really hard to say which one I like better because the new has more game features than the old yet the old was easier with no cheats like there are now. As long as I have a sword in my hand and a quest to do, I'm happy.

Survivor
Nov 07, 2015
I really like the OS better, but hey, change isn't bad, this maybe isn't the BEST direction for wiz101, but I mean I still like it, in my opinion, the first arc Wizard City-Dragonspyre, Kingisle NAILED it, it was really good, then the second arc, let's just say it isn't bad ~Player from 2010

Survivor
Jan 02, 2010
The newer version of W101 isn't bad as I said. I seem to be just a bit confused with everything, especially having to go through Marleybone again, Celestia and elsewhere. But as of now I am attempting to just get all my leftover quests done that I never did.

Does anyone have any advice in where I should start? About a week in and I still don't really know where to go.

Delver
Jun 14, 2016
2nd and 3rd arcs are a lot more fun than the 1st, but one thing I want back from the old-school game is the ability to deal more than 1,000,000 damage in one hit.

Delver
Jan 20, 2013
I don't necessarily think one is better than the other. They're just very different. For example, Old School didn't have as many cheats to worry about, or shadow pips. Pets weren't as essential back then either.

The game has definitely gotten more complex over time, and I think that helps keep us on our toes. I just always try to enjoy the game for what it is. :)

If you want to start another wizard, go for it! Questing seems to go by quickly if you're having fun.

~Vanessa Mythdust

Defender
Nov 05, 2010