Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How To Fix PvP

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Nov 24, 2010
Whenever we enter a match for pvp, nothing is more disheartening than realizing you're going second and your opponent is going first. That means your opponent can get clean and sure shots whenever you let your guard down. Every round, you are left to guess whether they'll attack you, or defend themselves. Going second means you're in for a difficult time. Going second means constantly guessing what your opponent will do, and being pummeled when you let your guard down. Going second means that your opponent can always get the first strike, or the first defense. Going second means no chance to react.

Winning a PvP match should not be based so much on whether or not you're first. That's where the root of PvP's problem is.

To compare this to Pirate101's system of PvP, Pirate101's PvP system is much more fair when it comes to being first or second. Pirate101 lets player A go first, but when it's player B's turn, player B gets a chance to react to player A's actions by having a planning phase after player A's turn. Pirate101 has TWO planning phases per round, one for Team A, and one for Team B. After each has acted, the round is over. They don't plan at the same time like Wizard101 does.

In contrast, Wizard101 has BOTH players select cards at the same time, which does not allow Player B to react to Player A's actions, since Player A goes first.

In conclusion, Wizard101's PvP can be fixed by separating Player A's planning phase from Player B's planning phase. They should plan separately like Pirate101 does. Below is an example of how it should be fixed.

Step 1. First round. Both players receive a (power) pip. Player A goes first while player B waits for player A.

Step 2. After player A has gone, it is now player B's turn to choose a card. This step allows player B to react to player A's actions. No pips are received during player B's phase.

Step 3. After player B has gone, the round is officially over and the next round has begun. It is back to player A's turn and both players receive a (power) pip.

Step 4. Repeat from Step 2.

What do you think? Will this fix Wizard101's PvP in general? I'm eager for any kind of feedback and hope this idea is considered, by the many, to take action.

Thank You Kingsisle

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
Mastermind
Dec 17, 2010
I was thinking the same thing! After I finished Polaris, I decided to play Pirate101 and decided that I liked their PVP system better. This is the logical solution to the PvP problem. Giving the person going second an extra pip doesn't help the slightest.

Explorer
Feb 23, 2012
dumbug23 on Jul 12, 2016 wrote:
Whenever we enter a match for pvp, nothing is more disheartening than realizing you're going second and your opponent is going first. That means your opponent can get clean and sure shots whenever you let your guard down. Every round, you are left to guess whether they'll attack you, or defend themselves. Going second means you're in for a difficult time. Going second means constantly guessing what your opponent will do, and being pummeled when you let your guard down. Going second means that your opponent can always get the first strike, or the first defense. Going second means no chance to react.

Winning a PvP match should not be based so much on whether or not you're first. That's where the root of PvP's problem is.

To compare this to Pirate101's system of PvP, Pirate101's PvP system is much more fair when it comes to being first or second. Pirate101 lets player A go first, but when it's player B's turn, player B gets a chance to react to player A's actions by having a planning phase after player A's turn. Pirate101 has TWO planning phases per round, one for Team A, and one for Team B. After each has acted, the round is over. They don't plan at the same time like Wizard101 does.

In contrast, Wizard101 has BOTH players select cards at the same time, which does not allow Player B to react to Player A's actions, since Player A goes first.

In conclusion, Wizard101's PvP can be fixed by separating Player A's planning phase from Player B's planning phase. They should plan separately like Pirate101 does. Below is an example of how it should be fixed.

Step 1. First round. Both players receive a (power) pip. Player A goes first while player B waits for player A.

Step 2. After player A has gone, it is now player B's turn to choose a card. This step allows player B to react to player A's actions. No pips are received during player B's phase.

Step 3. After player B has gone, the round is officially over and the next round has begun. It is back to player A's turn and both players receive a (power) pip.

Step 4. Repeat from Step 2.

What do you think? Will this fix Wizard101's PvP in general? I'm eager for any kind of feedback and hope this idea is considered, by the many, to take action.

Thank You Kingsisle
YUP, me and my friends discusses this almost all the time.

Survivor
May 21, 2010
Love the idea, but why not have it so that each player gets a (power) pip right before their turn? Not that it really makes a difference, but why should both teams get their (power) pip during Team A's phase? I think each team should get their (power) pip right before their phase. Besides that I love the idea and think it would really fix the problem of going second in PvP. Honestly though I don't think going second is even that bad and usually win even from second but I don't know about max level PvP since the highest level I have ever done PvP at was level 70. Although I don't think going second in a PvP match is the end of the world, obviously you are at an advantage if you go first and I would love for this change to be made to the game. Even though I like the idea, sadly I don't see KI changing the game mechanics after 8 years. It would make PvP less luck-based and more skill based, which I am definitely all for, although I'm not sure if that's what KI wants lol.

Survivor
Oct 07, 2013
Hi, I just have some ideas to propose a better pvp system. First off I would like to say the pvp system back at lvl 60-80 because the damage wasn't as high as it is now. You actually had to form a strategy back then and couldn't spam attacks like you can now because it wouldn't be as effective (then stuff started to get crazy with ice immunity to fire and storm and that's when pvp got out of hand. But to be honest I would rather go back storm and fire immunity then what's out now. The first idea i would like to propose is lower the shadow spells damage. The damage is out of hand it doesn't cost much. For example, Fire from above with epic is 1400-1600 for 5 pips? Lets be real that extra shadow pip don't even matter because you're pretty much going to be able to earn a shadow pip turn 1-4 almost nearly guaranteed. Once again i'm going to use fire from above for the sake of this proposal. I think fire from above should be lowered to 700-900 damage (1000-1200 damage enhanced with epic.) It seems balanced and fair. because spells like sun serpent is useless and a lot of other spells because why not use FFA instead? it's 5 pips (once again that shadow pip is no problem getting) and does a ton of more damage than serpent. All other shadow spells should be adjusted accordingly. Also i believe you shouldn't be able to gain a shadow pip on the first 3 turns. For people to form a strategy and plan out. The accuracy debuff on spells such as raging bull and handsome fomori is useless. -25% is nothing with people having average of 30% additional accuracy. Pierce SHOULD NOT BE FLAT PIERCE it needs to be turned into percentage. For example if I have 50% resistance and you have 30% pierce, it should be 30% of 50. Sorry if i'm wrong but lets say 30% of 50 is 18, then it should be 50-18 giving me 32% resistance, which is fair. why does weaver do 4000 damage with one 40% blade. Shadow spells should have same damage for PVE but not for pvp. Man long matches use to be fun but not now I:

Survivor
Oct 07, 2013
Also I just wanted to state that the person going first or second needs to be fixed and spells in general need to be debuffed only in pvp. People rarely use blades because there is no need to. With a lot of pierce and damage why even use blades. Using a shield or weakness is better because your hits are going to be strong with or without blades.

Survivor
Mar 31, 2010
I don't think that would work. That means player A could shield and player B could immedietly get it off with a wand hit. player A could attack and player B can heal right away instead of having to predict the opponents move. this would take away most of the strategy aspect of the game.

Survivor
Dec 26, 2008
Wizardguy8787 on Aug 19, 2016 wrote:
I don't think that would work. That means player A could shield and player B could immedietly get it off with a wand hit. player A could attack and player B can heal right away instead of having to predict the opponents move. this would take away most of the strategy aspect of the game.
So essentially like how it is going first in the current system except both players will get that benefit? Not just the person from first?

Survivor
Sep 28, 2015
Amazing idea but, their can be some problems with Wizard101 being a strategy game.