Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Spring Update 2022: Finding Everything That's Still Wrong

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
So, apparently the Spring 2022 Update is live now. It features 5th Age PvP, Spellements, and bugs & issues. The main show being bugs and issues.

Seriously, why is this update live when there was still so much wrong with it only a day before its release?! Numerous and serious issues remain unresolved! Why was it considered appropriate to release this when it was clear people were still dissatisfied with what they were seeing?

There is only one solution to this dilemma; find everything that still wrong in Live Realm and point fingers at it until it is resolved. I'll start:

Participation Trophies can no longer be bought from Sir Nigel Higgenbottom. This locks numerous people out of their Revered Crafting Quests, softlocking them from progressing in Crafting.

Spellements unable to be obtained by higher-level Wizards. Wizards that are going into this update in higher worlds will be unable to obtain Spellements for lower-Pip spells, locking them out of some of the new content.

Cantrip Concerns. People are still concerned about Cantrips costing Energy. The Magic Tough spell in particular has way too high an energy cost, and needs to be significantly reduced from 15 points.

Spellement Progression takes too long. I read statistics from analysts elsewhere on social media, and the time it takes to upgrade a Spellement to maximum level would take months of constantly opening chests or literally years of effort for more casual players. Naturally, that is too long.

Some items have disappeared from the PvP store. These include some furniture items that were previously sold by Roland SilverHeart, as well as the Fishing gear and Mounts that were sold by Brandon Mistborn.

New: Creepier Carnival Bundle gear gives -100% Mana. This reduction is meant to be applied to the PvP only version, but is also given to the standard gear from the bundle.

If anyone else has any other problems with this update, by all means share it.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Wow, that was really quick (or seemed like it). I know people have been commenting on all the things wrong with it, and now that the test realm section is removed, so are all the threads. If there are still a number of issues that need to be addressed, why bother with a test realm at all? We obviously have no say in anything, so why not just release stuff without us testing it? What is the point of our feedback if you just (seem to) ignore it? This is really going to leave a bad taste in people's mouths for the new ownership.

Survivor
Sep 16, 2011
The Membership Loyalty Store that is supposed to come with the spring update isn't even in live realm...

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Alex Darkhammer on Apr 28, 2022 wrote:
The Membership Loyalty Store that is supposed to come with the spring update isn't even in live realm...
I can confirm that this has been resolved. The Loyalty Genie has now made his appearance in the Shopping District.

Defender
May 30, 2010
Lookit Light on Apr 28, 2022 wrote:
So, apparently the Spring 2022 Update is live now. It features 5th Age PvP, Spellements, and bugs & issues. The main show being bugs and issues.

Seriously, why is this update live when there was still so much wrong with it only a day before its release?! Numerous and serious issues remain unresolved! Why was it considered appropriate to release this when it was clear people were still dissatisfied with what they were seeing?

There is only one solution to this dilemma; find everything that still wrong in Live Realm and point fingers at it until it is resolved. I'll start:

Participation Trophies can no longer be bought from Sir Nigel Higgenbottom. This locks numerous people out of their Revered Crafting Quests, softlocking them from progressing in Crafting.

Spellements unable to be obtained by higher-level Wizards. Wizards that are going into this update in higher worlds will be unable to obtain Spellements for lower-Pip spells, locking them out of some of the new content.

Cantrip Concerns. People are still concerned about Cantrips costing Energy. The Magic Tough spell in particular has way too high an energy cost, and needs to be significantly reduced from 15 points.

Spellement Progression takes too long. I read statistics from analysts elsewhere on social media, and the time it takes to upgrade a Spellement to maximum level would take months of constantly opening chests or literally years of effort for more casual players. Naturally, that is too long.

Some items have disappeared from the PvP store. These include some furniture items that were previously sold by Roland SilverHeart, as well as the Fishing gear and Mounts that were sold by Brandon Mistborn.

New: Creepier Carnival Bundle gear gives -100% Mana. This reduction is meant to be applied to the PvP only version, but is also given to the standard gear from the bundle.

If anyone else has any other problems with this update, by all means share it.
Seems like this was very rushed if they have these many bugs. A lot of people were talking about bad stuff was during the Twitch live stream today.
Participation Trophies- this hurts a lot of players who do not purchase the SOF (Which I think now might be the only one who get them now which is bad) This changes the thing from something everyone could get to a thing where paid to win people get and I do not think it is okay. (From tournaments, you do not get tickets at all, not sure if this is a bug or actually what it suppose to be)
They are crazy about Spellements and idk why. who wanted this system in the first place? With the new way, they are tell people oh so you finish all the worlds on all 6 or 7 schools on one account while you cannot get these spellements from any of your wizards. well this is suppose be for new people (think they said this on twitch)
Cantrip is weird and sometimes not everyone goes have like monstrology where only a handful or people who like to do things 100% will do.
Spellement Progression. yeah again what were they thinking with this system
Some items have disappeared from the PvP store. - not the fishing gear. (At least it did not delete from my wiz stuff).
Creepier Carnival Bundle gear gives -100% Mana. - game be weird.

Honestly it seems like KI either has extend Test realm to be few weeks later (consider we have May for Spring still) or do test and slow put things in live when they are 100% (or close) complete.

It just hard to play a game that gets on catering to a small number of people in the community instead of making major happy.

Defender
Oct 16, 2014
I agree, especially with spellement progression.

Cons:
- You must have not completed the world to farm spellements off bosses there. This means players with 7 wizards past Dragonspyre cannot farm at all.
- Based on Zarathax (2 spellements per run) it will take approximately 8,069 runs to max out a single spell, meaning 8,069 runs for every character that wants the spell upgraded. By playing 6 hours each day, it will take you over a month to max the spells.
- Based on Zarathax it will take approximately 884 runs to upgrade a spell once. This is a lot more runs than it's expected to take to get a rare jewel like Spell-Proof. By playing 6 hours each day, it will take you about 4 days upgrade the spells once.

Pros:
- (and this is a stretch) Doing the 8,069 runs will likely get enough to max out one of each rank 2-6 spell

Really, I am given no motivation to upgrade the spells past the first upgrade and that is if I'm going the bottom path. For spells like Ghoul that I planned to go the upper path, I have no motivation to farm it at all.

KI needs to look back on how they did Daybreaker and Nightbringer spellements, then do the same with these spellements. (multi-spellement drops ie. x3, x5, x30)

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
God life wizard on Apr 29, 2022 wrote:
Seems like this was very rushed if they have these many bugs. A lot of people were talking about bad stuff was during the Twitch live stream today.
Participation Trophies- this hurts a lot of players who do not purchase the SOF (Which I think now might be the only one who get them now which is bad) This changes the thing from something everyone could get to a thing where paid to win people get and I do not think it is okay. (From tournaments, you do not get tickets at all, not sure if this is a bug or actually what it suppose to be)
They are crazy about Spellements and idk why. who wanted this system in the first place? With the new way, they are tell people oh so you finish all the worlds on all 6 or 7 schools on one account while you cannot get these spellements from any of your wizards. well this is suppose be for new people (think they said this on twitch)
Cantrip is weird and sometimes not everyone goes have like monstrology where only a handful or people who like to do things 100% will do.
Spellement Progression. yeah again what were they thinking with this system
Some items have disappeared from the PvP store. - not the fishing gear. (At least it did not delete from my wiz stuff).
Creepier Carnival Bundle gear gives -100% Mana. - game be weird.

Honestly it seems like KI either has extend Test realm to be few weeks later (consider we have May for Spring still) or do test and slow put things in live when they are 100% (or close) complete.

It just hard to play a game that gets on catering to a small number of people in the community instead of making major happy.
"It's just hard to play a game that gets on catering to a small number of people in the community instead of making the majority happy."

This sadly, is the story behind the demise of many other games that Gamigo has purchased in the past.

Observe, for example, TROVE. It's another game that Gamigo purchased, and that I played a little of a couple years back. It started out strong, then they focused on appealing to the players that payed more. The end result was a dull, pay-to-win style of gameplay that drove away their casual players (who, I should say, secretly form the actual source of income for a game company). TROVE has since fallen into relative obscurity.

I sincerely hope Wizard101 does not follow this path of destruction. Rushing this update, with its severe flaws and paywall mechanics, is a textbook Gamigo "strategy" that never ends well.

If Kingsisle wants to maintain the trust they have built up with us, they must break away from this cycle. Step one of that is fixing all these blasted bugs and issues that fallen on deaf ears so far.

Defender
May 30, 2010
John Hawkstone on Apr 29, 2022 wrote:
I agree, especially with spellement progression.

Cons:
- You must have not completed the world to farm spellements off bosses there. This means players with 7 wizards past Dragonspyre cannot farm at all.
- Based on Zarathax (2 spellements per run) it will take approximately 8,069 runs to max out a single spell, meaning 8,069 runs for every character that wants the spell upgraded. By playing 6 hours each day, it will take you over a month to max the spells.
- Based on Zarathax it will take approximately 884 runs to upgrade a spell once. This is a lot more runs than it's expected to take to get a rare jewel like Spell-Proof. By playing 6 hours each day, it will take you about 4 days upgrade the spells once.

Pros:
- (and this is a stretch) Doing the 8,069 runs will likely get enough to max out one of each rank 2-6 spell

Really, I am given no motivation to upgrade the spells past the first upgrade and that is if I'm going the bottom path. For spells like Ghoul that I planned to go the upper path, I have no motivation to farm it at all.

KI needs to look back on how they did Daybreaker and Nightbringer spellements, then do the same with these spellements. (multi-spellement drops ie. x3, x5, x30)
Yes I agreed with you with the Daybreaker and Nightbringer spellements. This should be the way all spellements are gotten. Same with more spellements in Beastmoon but have them be able to be gotten in different places. All my wizards are past Dragonspyre so I cannot get farm at all (unless I remake my balance or ice which I might do).

KI just need to step back and look at the entire community.

Defender
May 30, 2010
Lookit Light on Apr 29, 2022 wrote:
"It's just hard to play a game that gets on catering to a small number of people in the community instead of making the majority happy."

This sadly, is the story behind the demise of many other games that Gamigo has purchased in the past.

Observe, for example, TROVE. It's another game that Gamigo purchased, and that I played a little of a couple years back. It started out strong, then they focused on appealing to the players that payed more. The end result was a dull, pay-to-win style of gameplay that drove away their casual players (who, I should say, secretly form the actual source of income for a game company). TROVE has since fallen into relative obscurity.

I sincerely hope Wizard101 does not follow this path of destruction. Rushing this update, with its severe flaws and paywall mechanics, is a textbook Gamigo "strategy" that never ends well.

If Kingsisle wants to maintain the trust they have built up with us, they must break away from this cycle. Step one of that is fixing all these blasted bugs and issues that fallen on deaf ears so far.
I really hope that it does not follow Trove. Only thing that I believe that will make KI listen to us is stop playing and spend money on the game but very sure people won't do that especially if they are a streamer, a person who spend a lot of money on the game, and people are new. (and the same people who buy the pet bundles).

It is just really sad where the game feels like it going to go. I was plan on get all the badges but it just seems impossible. Especially since they feel like they are never going fix certain badges (Aka Beastmoon Monster) and with the you against the world badges (deckalthon) and badges that have limits like the lending and house badges which will take people (if they play every day and finish the limit) about 500 days for the house badge (for the 5000 one) and about 250 days (if you are maxed level) for the lending one (1000 one). The lend one seems harder since you have find people to lend for while the house one is just waiting until you can rate. The 2 new house gaurlets are the worse though since you need to either pay money to get them or hope and pray you get luck (Out of all the crafted ones I had just made the KT one)

I hope the game does not dies but KI needs to listen to us and fix these big bugs. If the game does dies, then I hope people make the Wizard101 and Pirate101 Rewritten. Make it all free

Defender
May 23, 2009
Lookit Light on Apr 29, 2022 wrote:

My issues with the game are as follows:

1. Elitist Attitude - People being mean to others simply because they do not have "great stats" is unacceptable. Most of this comes from having the "ideal pets or meta gear". Getting yelled at because a player does have the best gear for their level does not make them want to get that gear. I like the fact KI had the guts to nerf and change gear with this new update.

2. Post 2019 Sales - I have been playing since I was 13. Back then, I was funding my account through my allowance my parents gave weekly. Now I am in my late 20s with a full-time job. Wizard101 has never been expensive nor cheap. With that being said, what happened to the paloozas? Why are crown sales less frequent now? There are so many pet bundles that I honestly do not care about.

3. Not Enough Content - There are not enough things that makes a world memorable when you have beat it more than 3 times. Like most probably, I would rather get a new wizard to a high level ASAP. There are no instant activities that I can do without taking too much resources. I am hoping spellements and cantrips will end up like the situation of crown rewards events. In the first one, you had to spend 400,000 crowns (if I remember correctly) to get the top reward. There was so much negativity that it now ends up being way more manageable.

Survivor
Dec 11, 2016
Omg I am so glad I wasn't the only one having trouble with the Creepy Carnival attire. I honestly thought this glitch happened due to someone trying to hack my account earlier today... My mind is now at ease.

Explorer
Jun 16, 2010
Hi there this comment is surrounding an error in a spellement upgrade!

I just changed over my Max Fires spellements on his Fire Elf

Previous to this update he had the upper path maxed out at tier 3.

Now that it does different things on each path I went ahead and swapped to the new bottom path, which offers DOT onto all enemies.

With Epic enchanted, this is said to do 225 to target and 300 DOT to all enemies.

However there are a few problems.

1. There is no Elf Animation at all.
2. The spell hits, but its only doing DOT, the first impact is not showing or damaging the enemy.
3. Why does this upgrade not cost 3 pips much like other 2 pip spellemental upgrade costs?

Explorer
Jun 16, 2010
A Cantrip XP Problem.

Hi there,

I would like it to be known that without learnable spells at rank 4 & 5 of the cantrip system we cannot actively progress in this system.

Currently the Cantrips are set up to only give you EXP if you are the same level as the rank of the spell.

This is a problem because there are no spells to be learned at rank 4 or 5
Not to mention the only spell at rank 6 is mark and recall spot.

With the cantrip level requirements getting more costly, it would be nice to see something with more experience for the characters to be able to level up.

I do see there are treasure card cantrips above this level, however These should really just be trainable spells, considering they cost reagents, they should not be seen or utilized as the main path of EXP Gains!!

I would like for cantrips to be more useful. I know It was mentioned in the KI Live last week that this is just a drop in the bucket, however I believe you held back on too much. We need more in place to be able to make this system even worth using at this time.

Survivor
Jan 11, 2010
Luis LifeGiver on Apr 30, 2022 wrote:
Hi there this comment is surrounding an error in a spellement upgrade!

I just changed over my Max Fires spellements on his Fire Elf

Previous to this update he had the upper path maxed out at tier 3.

Now that it does different things on each path I went ahead and swapped to the new bottom path, which offers DOT onto all enemies.

With Epic enchanted, this is said to do 225 to target and 300 DOT to all enemies.

However there are a few problems.

1. There is no Elf Animation at all.
2. The spell hits, but its only doing DOT, the first impact is not showing or damaging the enemy.
3. Why does this upgrade not cost 3 pips much like other 2 pip spellemental upgrade costs?
You are the first person that I have seen talk about this issue. It is annoying when you take the time to upgrade a spell and have it not work. At least it doesn’t crash the game or not work (mechanically). Also to your point about the 3 pip cost, maybe because it has such low damage they thought 3 pips would be too high for such a low rate of damage? If they made it 3 pips, then I feel the damage should go up a little bit. Maybe increase the “front end“ of the damage a small bit? I do like this concept at 2 pips though. Otherwise, it doesn’t seem worth it to go for the AoE version of this spell.

Explorer
Jun 16, 2010
AaronSunHaven on May 2, 2022 wrote:
You are the first person that I have seen talk about this issue. It is annoying when you take the time to upgrade a spell and have it not work. At least it doesn’t crash the game or not work (mechanically). Also to your point about the 3 pip cost, maybe because it has such low damage they thought 3 pips would be too high for such a low rate of damage? If they made it 3 pips, then I feel the damage should go up a little bit. Maybe increase the “front end“ of the damage a small bit? I do like this concept at 2 pips though. Otherwise, it doesn’t seem worth it to go for the AoE version of this spell.
I like how you think the less damage effects much on fire elf.

With its spam ability, it hits rather hard.

You must consider that most max fire wizards have a ton of damage, Mine is above 170% damage in most sets.

This allowed for the dot on the fire elf tier 3 to do about 800 per turn on the dot with Epic enchanted.
I believe that one of the 2 paths should cost 3 pips to be in line with the other schools, otherwise its literally an advantage for fire.

I personally think none of the spellement upgrades should increase pip cost, other than those from the shadow spells, because those increase damage per pip accordingly.

Survivor
Jan 11, 2010
Luis LifeGiver on May 3, 2022 wrote:
I like how you think the less damage effects much on fire elf.

With its spam ability, it hits rather hard.

You must consider that most max fire wizards have a ton of damage, Mine is above 170% damage in most sets.

This allowed for the dot on the fire elf tier 3 to do about 800 per turn on the dot with Epic enchanted.
I believe that one of the 2 paths should cost 3 pips to be in line with the other schools, otherwise its literally an advantage for fire.

I personally think none of the spellement upgrades should increase pip cost, other than those from the shadow spells, because those increase damage per pip accordingly.
I understand that most fires have 170% damage or more. Mine certainly does. Considering how the over time works with the AoE version, and how critical and block currently works, if there was more damage on the front end and not the over time I think it would be more fair at 3 pips. People invest a lot of time and money to upgrade these spells so I understand not wanting to make it “overpowered” for both PvE and PvP. However, unless you really increased the overtime damage, it will not be doing 800 damage per tick on enemies in the later worlds. That’s why I suggested an increase on the initial hit. Again, this is just an idea and I’m sure there are a lot of other options to balance the spell.

In PvP, players will opt to upgrade the top path as it does more damage for cheap pips acting as a shield breaker. PvE players like myself will opt for the AoE version for the additional chip damage to finish fights. Remember: all the other schools have utility added to the bottom branch of spellement upgrades, AoE isn’t necessarily a “utility” therefore I do not believe it needs to cost an additional pip especially at its current DPP and damage distribution.

As it stands, I like the design of Fire Elf and hope they keep it this way for both branches. I understand why it seems correct to make it 3 pips, but I think Fire Elf is an exception when compared to the other 2 pip spells and their upgrades.

Finally, more than anything else… I just want the animation to work!

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Good news from today's patch: it seems several of the issues we have raised have been resolved. Several areas have been improved. They're said in the update notes that I linked, but I'll reiterate some of them here.

Participation Trophy Dilemma has been resolved. The Revered Crafting items no longer need Participation Trophies to craft, making them more accessible to the playerbase. The only issue is that Participation Trophies now have no use (though that's relatively minor compared to the problem we had before.

PvP is free again, rejoice! One of the main issues people had with 5th Age was the new price barrier for entry. That has now been removed. Influx of happy casual players in 3... 2... 1...

Magic Touch now only costs 5 Energy. It's a more fair pricing to most. Now opening boxes only costs as much as casting a Fishing Lure does.

Spellement Upgrades. The drop table has been expanded, with more Spellements being available from more sources in higher amounts. They're now able to be obtained in far larger quantities. Upgrading spells should be smoother sailing now.

A lot of major concerns have been addressed and seemingly resolved. There are still a number of problems that need a resolution, but this is a good start.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Lookit Light on May 4, 2022 wrote:
Good news from today's patch: it seems several of the issues we have raised have been resolved. Several areas have been improved. They're said in the update notes that I linked, but I'll reiterate some of them here.

Participation Trophy Dilemma has been resolved. The Revered Crafting items no longer need Participation Trophies to craft, making them more accessible to the playerbase. The only issue is that Participation Trophies now have no use (though that's relatively minor compared to the problem we had before.

PvP is free again, rejoice! One of the main issues people had with 5th Age was the new price barrier for entry. That has now been removed. Influx of happy casual players in 3... 2... 1...

Magic Touch now only costs 5 Energy. It's a more fair pricing to most. Now opening boxes only costs as much as casting a Fishing Lure does.

Spellement Upgrades. The drop table has been expanded, with more Spellements being available from more sources in higher amounts. They're now able to be obtained in far larger quantities. Upgrading spells should be smoother sailing now.

A lot of major concerns have been addressed and seemingly resolved. There are still a number of problems that need a resolution, but this is a good start.
Participation Trophy Dilemma has been resolved

Yay for that! BUT, it would have been a non-issue if they just would have communicated their plans to us BEFORE this change went through. Like, in the test realm release notes. Im not asking for a 20 year head start, but test realm notes would have been a sufficient place to communicate their intentions.

Squire
Apr 18, 2013

Participation Trophies are in our current Spring Scroll. It's the tier 4, 1005 point reward. And it is a locked reward! We are expected to pay for a reward that is utterly useless. Were they ever really useful outside from 1 craft? Wiki page shows nothing else. I have a lot of participation trophies, what are we supposed to do with them? Hopefully KI can respond.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
stemogstel on May 5, 2022 wrote:
Participation Trophies are in our current Spring Scroll. It's the tier 4, 1005 point reward. And it is a locked reward! We are expected to pay for a reward that is utterly useless. Were they ever really useful outside from 1 craft? Wiki page shows nothing else. I have a lot of participation trophies, what are we supposed to do with them? Hopefully KI can respond.
To be fair, that is a notable concern. Participation Trophies shouldn't become a novelty, they do need a use. Exactly what that use should be is up for deliberation, and they do need to be made more widely available again if that happens.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Lookit Light on May 5, 2022 wrote:
To be fair, that is a notable concern. Participation Trophies shouldn't become a novelty, they do need a use. Exactly what that use should be is up for deliberation, and they do need to be made more widely available again if that happens.
Considering all the hate for the reagent, why not just rename it and give it a use? participation Trophies will ALWAYS have hate because of how they were obtained. In order to remove the hate, change the name and make ti something else. If you want a PvP reagent, fine, but make it PvP ONLY and dont make use PvE players need it. That's all we have ever asked for.

Survivor
Aug 11, 2009
Another issue I haven't seen anyone add is the "follow the group leader". I have 4 accounts and i don't want to follow the group leader cause I'll forget to talk to someone on one of the accounts. . But when I turn it off, the quest helper disappears and it's really annoying because i have to log out and back in again and start a group all over again and then click on "Stop following the group leader" again only to have one of the accounts crash saying "an error has occured do you wish to report this?" and then i have to log in to the account again. And it keeps happening over and over again! This is really frustrating! I had to do katzensein's lab 4 times today because of this. And I'm extremely frustrated.

Please fix this!

Survivor
Oct 01, 2021
will they bring back the fishing gear,i keep checking the arena no luck yet.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
twackdinger 1 on May 27, 2022 wrote:
will they bring back the fishing gear,i keep checking the arena no luck yet.
Brandon MistBorn has returned to outside the Arena for a limited time. He sells the fishing gear and accepts 4th Age Arena Tickets. If you can buy them, hurry! I'm fairly sure he'll disappear sometime soon.

Explorer
Sep 21, 2008

I still don't get that many Spellement drops and am still unable to farm them in lower worlds. The Beastmoon Spellement recipes are still extremely costly to craft.