Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Nerf Mandrake the Maligician

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 02, 2009
Mandrake the Maligician, the boss of the early side quest of Power Plant is far, far too difficult. By himself, he already has a lot of health for a boss you basically need to kill turn 4 as afterwards that 100% Fortify comes up. He also hits you for 15% of your max health at the end of each turn, and also removes unprotected blades at the end of the turn and a protected blades at the end of 2 turns. You can use traps, but again you only have 4 turns. Worse, his minion also has a lot of health and if you look at the Wizard101 Wiki, you see most of it's cards cast shields one casts brace and another stuns. It's extremely difficult to kill and makes the boss also nearly impossible to kill. Collectively, they also do quite a bit of damage, especially thanks to that Belloq-esque hit. All of this might be ok if this was a mainline quest, but this is a side quest, so very few people actually are trying to team up for this quest. It's nearly impossible to find more than one other person for this, and I feel like you need a VERY coordinated group of 4 to beat this boss. As future updates are released and very few people are playing through Lemuria, I'm not sure you could ever beat this boss.

So, I think this boss needs a nerf, badly. There are two ways I think this could be done. One way would be removing that minion, stopping the boss from getting those shields that break the fight. Another way is to throw that whole 100% Fortify mechanic out, because it makes the boss impossible one turn 4 is over. At the very least, make it so your wizard always go first. This fight is far, far too difficult and for people playing through this area in the future, this needs to be possible. I'm all for difficult extra content, but this isn't it.

Survivor
Nov 25, 2019
Totally agree with your comments on this fight. Really, really hard and have gone in with four really good players and fought for , two long hours and do deal? Whats up with this Mandrake, "can not be killed"

Defender
Oct 16, 2014
I do agree that Mandrake is tough to solo, but with 2+ players it's quite easy.

1. Mandrake casts a -10% Fortify which lasts 4 rounds. After the aura ends, he cast will a -100% version after whoever acts next.
  2. At the end of a round: if Mandrake is at full health, he will cheat cast a Leaf Storm which deals 15% of your maxHP and Enfeebles; if he is not at full health, he will cheat cast a heal on himself only.

So all you need to do is keep him under 100% HP and kill minion asap. Once minion is defeated, setup up for a Shrike Shrike to pierce the 100% aura.

To solo this I used Deer Knight at the start of the battle. This kept his health under 100% for the next 3 round and the DoT removed any shields placed on him or the minion. Meanwhile I bladed and set up for another Deer Knight. Once I had hit, Mandrake was at around 60-70% HP and the minion was defeated. My goal was to hit with Grim Reader while using Shrike to "one-shot" the boss so I kept setting up a Shriked Deer Knight until I had 1 shadow pip and ~20% of the shadow bar filled. Then, ignoring how much Mandrake would heal, I set up to one-shot him. For me, this meant I had about 6-7 rounds until Mandrake would Enfeeble me.

Splitting the roles above among teammates would make this fight very simple: one sets up to defeat Mandrake while the other keeps his health under 100% and defeats minion meanwhile. With more players it's even more simple to the point you could finish within 4 rounds.

Hoped this helped!

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
I absolutely agree that Mandrake needs to be nerfed. I'm fairly certain that the 100% resist aura after four rounds is actually a bug (At least according to Central.) I was with a full team, and it still took us over 40 minutes to defeat him (And we only won because I packed Shadow Shrike). No boss should take forty minutes to beat, so this definitely needs to be adjusted.

Survivor
Apr 30, 2011
I have tried a couple side quests in Lemuria and found them to be so extremely difficult I have not been able to complete any. :(

Defender
May 30, 2010
From what a former Dev said , this boss is appently bugged. it is suppose to go 10%,20%,30%, and continues. not go from 10% to 100%. Sparck could we get an update on when this is going be fixed? Try a few days ago and the same thing happen. all I was doing was spam wand hits and I was alone due to wanting to see if it was fixed. (It was not). this is the only boss that I cannot defeat. Might want to look into Power Rangers quest as well (that cat can be very annoying)

Explorer
Apr 09, 2011
John Hawkstone on Dec 11, 2021 wrote:
I do agree that Mandrake is tough to solo, but with 2+ players it's quite easy.

1. Mandrake casts a -10% Fortify which lasts 4 rounds. After the aura ends, he cast will a -100% version after whoever acts next.
  2. At the end of a round: if Mandrake is at full health, he will cheat cast a Leaf Storm which deals 15% of your maxHP and Enfeebles; if he is not at full health, he will cheat cast a heal on himself only.

So all you need to do is keep him under 100% HP and kill minion asap. Once minion is defeated, setup up for a Shrike Shrike to pierce the 100% aura.

To solo this I used Deer Knight at the start of the battle. This kept his health under 100% for the next 3 round and the DoT removed any shields placed on him or the minion. Meanwhile I bladed and set up for another Deer Knight. Once I had hit, Mandrake was at around 60-70% HP and the minion was defeated. My goal was to hit with Grim Reader while using Shrike to "one-shot" the boss so I kept setting up a Shriked Deer Knight until I had 1 shadow pip and ~20% of the shadow bar filled. Then, ignoring how much Mandrake would heal, I set up to one-shot him. For me, this meant I had about 6-7 rounds until Mandrake would Enfeeble me.

Splitting the roles above among teammates would make this fight very simple: one sets up to defeat Mandrake while the other keeps his health under 100% and defeats minion meanwhile. With more players it's even more simple to the point you could finish within 4 rounds.

Hoped this helped!
did this fight last night using your advise. except on a balance wizard. shrike worked. also what i found was that if you place traps on him he will heal instead of leafstorm . had my myth in as well and played with two deaths. also if you are in with random players to put in shrike. if not it will take more than 4 rounds.

Explorer
Nov 23, 2008
I agree my Storm at level 159 and 193 damage and 23 % pierce can't defeat him. This boss needs to be fixed and being a side quest as I do all my side quest really should not be too hard. Thanks for listening KI.

Defender
May 30, 2010
God life wizard on Jan 12, 2022 wrote:
From what a former Dev said , this boss is appently bugged. it is suppose to go 10%,20%,30%, and continues. not go from 10% to 100%. Sparck could we get an update on when this is going be fixed? Try a few days ago and the same thing happen. all I was doing was spam wand hits and I was alone due to wanting to see if it was fixed. (It was not). this is the only boss that I cannot defeat. Might want to look into Power Rangers quest as well (that cat can be very annoying)
okay. After a few tries with team up, I finally got a team that could defeat it. Recommed that you have two hitters, one spammer until the 3th round where the hitters hit, and someone to blade the hitters. Hitters should not be life or ice (sorry) due to the fact the minions are ice and the boss is life. Probably can be anything else (I did it with a fire and a storm).
So what should you do?
First round: Spammer: Hit boss, Blader: blade the person get rid of the minions the best, both Hitters: blade with zero blades (your school blades)
Second round: Spammer: hit boss, Blader: Blade one of the hitters. Hitters: Use shapern or TC school blade (or normal if use TC/Shapern first round)
Third and possible finally round: Spammer: Feint the boss, Blader: blade one of the hitters. Hitters if there are no shields: best one to get rid of the minion hits while the other one blades. Hitters if there are shields: both hit.
Fouth round if there was not shields and the first person got rid of the minions: Spammer: blade or feint the boss, blader: blades the other hitters that did not hit. Hitters: if minion hitter can hit do that, if not blade the other hitter. other hitter hits boss alone.
This is the best I could do. but it is still on RNG especially with those minions knowing Ice giant. If that happens, it is better to restart (Blader could stun block one of the hitters if needed) Good Luck everyone!

Administrator
Hello all!

There was originally a bug in the combat cheats for this battle, this should be fixed as of this morning's game patch.

Let us know if any of you are continuing to have issues.

Thank you!

Defender
Oct 16, 2014
Mandrake seems to be fine now after the patch, his aura is going up at a good pace (I miss the challenge tho)