Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

something that's been needed for a long time

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
It's very hard to get started in PVP.

With all the various changed KI has made, the one thing they haven't ever addressed is this:

players that aren't pvpers, in some cases brand new to pvp at all, with only the standard gear availble in the PVE part of the game, are matched up with players that are pvpers - people that have PVP gear with high resistance and who destroy them.

It is extremely discouraging

There needs to be more seperation - start with PVP rank and only put people of the same rank together. After that, look at player levels. Don't match a level 10 against a level 30 or higher just because both of them have a low pvp rank. It's highly unfair.

And then look at the gear people are wearing. If someone is wearing PVP gear, match them up with someone else that is wearing PVP gear. And if someone is wearing standard gear, match them with others that are. Don't ever match someone in standard gear with someone in PVP gear. That's also highly unfair.

There needs to be a lot more thought into how players are matched together - and just maybe once that's done, people that aren't career PVPers might want to try pvp again.

Survivor
Sep 14, 2019
I 100% agree with you all the way.

I hope it gets done soon the level locked did help rank PVP in the past a little bit.

Defender
Sep 15, 2013
crystalwizard12345... on Dec 3, 2021 wrote:

With all the various changed KI has made, the one thing they haven't ever addressed is this:

players that aren't pvpers, in some cases brand new to pvp at all, with only the standard gear availble in the PVE part of the game, are matched up with players that are pvpers - people that have PVP gear with high resistance and who destroy them.

There needs to be more seperation - start with PVP rank and only put people of the same rank together. After that, look at player levels. Don't match a level 10 against a level 30 or higher just because both of them have a low pvp rank. It's highly unfair.

And then look at the gear people are wearing. If someone is wearing PVP gear, match them up with someone else that is wearing PVP gear. And if someone is wearing standard gear, match them with others that are. Don't ever match someone in standard gear with someone in PVP gear. That's also highly unfair.

There needs to be a lot more thought into how players are matched together - and just maybe once that's done, people that aren't career PVPers might want to try pvp again.
It's just become too complex. People just starting out will likely never catch up with the current system. Some people have loads of free time to dedicate to learning everything (and there's a lot of new stuff) and those that don't have no shot of having a competitive but balanced match. What was already a small pvp community just got a lot smaller because of it. If you watch streamer matches, it's the same handful of people battling. Lower level pvp maybe the only (somewhat) playable form of pvp right now but for the people that enjoyed max, they (likely) won't resort to starting a new account to play it. I miss when schools had their own identities. Now, you're forced into playing with the new mastery amulets and with how unique they are, you're going to be at a huge disadvantage with a number of schools. What was extremely unbalanced to begin with became laughably unbalanced. There's a lot of people that don't like the "pay to win" aspects of the game (which are actually just pay to play) but what they don't consider is that a lot of those players don't have the time to dedicate to playing 10+ hours a day farming for everything you need to compete. KingsIsle is cutting out a lot of people just because they don't have time to spend all day in their game, and unfortunately for them, they're cutting out the portion spending money on their game.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
crystalwizard12345... on Dec 3, 2021 wrote:

Ok so not to sound like the black sheep of this statement, I wanted to clarify as to what level pvp you are discussing. In max pvp its generally pve and pack gears that are dominant in the meta. For example dragoon, merciless and motorist robe is still meta as we speak so there is not as much advantage or disadvantage besides players having access to solar surge at vet rank. However, rarely you'd find your self matched up against rank players who are higher ranked that you than if you were to say start as private at (150) current level. Also, there are tons of guides for pvp in terms of the best gears pets etc towards your school of choice, and listing tiers for each school its terms of which is best for starters. Although each school have a very diverse play style even more so now that we have access to school mastery amulet, getting familiarized with your school strength and weakness is top priority.
Many of us have started at the bottom and I can speak for myself to say my journey to warlord on all 7 schools was definitely a challenge but never impossible. Best of luck!

Survivor
Sep 14, 2019
angellifeheart on Feb 2, 2022 wrote:
Ok so not to sound like the black sheep of this statement, I wanted to clarify as to what level pvp you are discussing. In max pvp its generally pve and pack gears that are dominant in the meta. For example dragoon, merciless and motorist robe is still meta as we speak so there is not as much advantage or disadvantage besides players having access to solar surge at vet rank. However, rarely you'd find your self matched up against rank players who are higher ranked that you than if you were to say start as private at (150) current level. Also, there are tons of guides for pvp in terms of the best gears pets etc towards your school of choice, and listing tiers for each school its terms of which is best for starters. Although each school have a very diverse play style even more so now that we have access to school mastery amulet, getting familiarized with your school strength and weakness is top priority.
Many of us have started at the bottom and I can speak for myself to say my journey to warlord on all 7 schools was definitely a challenge but never impossible. Best of luck!
Hi AngellifeHeart

I thought you where still on yours break.

guess you can't stay away from rank pvp message board.

We all have a few disagreements,

I think it would help private gets better what the top person said on this message board so I agreed with it.

Tasha lvl 150 now since I become Max lvl last month before my membership expired.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
angellifeheart on Feb 2, 2022 wrote:
Well since I said "It's very hard to get started" maybe you assume that i'm only speaking of low level beginners. Because, well, that's what that statement pertains to.

however

there needs to be better game balance for all levels. If someone is wearing crowns gear and is level 140 then they should be matched up with someone else that's wearing crowns gear and is level 140

Better yet - lets get rid of all the PVP gear, and when matching is happening, then game should look only at levels and match people by their levels.

Then when the match starts the game can remove all gear and pets from everyone in the match, lock the treasure cards, and then players can battle based on skill.

Defender
Sep 15, 2013
crystalwizard12345... on Feb 14, 2022 wrote:
Well since I said "It's very hard to get started" maybe you assume that i'm only speaking of low level beginners. Because, well, that's what that statement pertains to.

however

there needs to be better game balance for all levels. If someone is wearing crowns gear and is level 140 then they should be matched up with someone else that's wearing crowns gear and is level 140

Better yet - lets get rid of all the PVP gear, and when matching is happening, then game should look only at levels and match people by their levels.

Then when the match starts the game can remove all gear and pets from everyone in the match, lock the treasure cards, and then players can battle based on skill.
It's way more complex than that. There's too much RNG in the game. So many parts of pvp are left to chance (and the game in general). The game is still completely imbalanced. Here's a few examples:

- Quing: The idea is that you have the perfect stats for any school you're fighting. In actuality, you can't have the right stats to compete against any given school without knowing who you're fighting. In a balanced game, you should be able to set for a school to give both players the best chance to have a competitive match. There's a lot of players that don't like the concept of "setting" because of the imbalance in stats and school identities (which is a fair point) but that's on KI for creating such an imbalance in the game. Fixing the gear/spell/stat issues would allow for set, competitive game play, not chance luck.

- Deck building: No matter how well you build your deck, you still have to rely on pulling what you need when you need it and not having to discard something you desperately need the very next turn. While I believe that this is a more minor issue (in the grand scheme of things), it's still an issue. If there were separate stacks while choosing, say a hit pile, a utility pile, and a TC pile with limited pulls, you could access what you need easier, keeping a fair amount of RNG while erasing the majority of it.

- Jade Healers: Busted gameplay. Unless all schools have equal/adequate access to healing/set gear, it's not right for pvp. Wiz players ultimately need to decide if we're going to have a balanced game or not. That doesn't mean every piece of gear, every spell, and stat have to be exactly the same. Healing schools may have a "disadvantage" on damage, but their healing abilities are too extreme for the damage "benefit" for hitting schools.

Also, many of the "Warlords" have used a lot of exploits to gain rank, not all but a good percentage. The entire idea of playing ranked is tainted by the fact that there are too many exploits in the game that KI has ignored (for years) or just weren't bright enough to fix. Ranked pvp has lost a lot of value because they continue to run a broken game. Dooring and boosting are cheats and it's been abused for years. Those players now have access to Surge based on these exploits. Not that you're fighting a warlord if you're a private, but even legitimate warlords fighting illegitimate warlords are fighting against someone that isn't supposed to be at their rank.

There are also spells that they (continue to) introduce that are conducive to exploits/abuse. There are also many spells that simply don't belong in pvp, but that's subject to debate and if you favor a particular school, you'll never be able to have a fair debate over such spells.

There're just some many specific problems that are too long and complex to list out on one post. But don't think it's a matter of simply "getting started". There are people that have been playing for years that can't make decent progress because their RNG/many other things prevent them from being able to compete fairly. Sure, everyone could just run the exact same gear and run the exact same deck, but then you're not even really playing the game, you're just a programmed bot.

Defender
Oct 16, 2014
When I started Ranked PvP I got paired with sergeants and higher ranked just because I was level 130. Then, even when my rank dropped below 300, I still was getting paired up with warlords. Since I could not get Solar Surge, I was at a major disadvantage.

Even my opponent admitted one time that I would have won if I had Solar Surge. So I am against strictly level based PvP matches.

What should happen is for lower ranks the system filters "Rank > Level", but for higher ranks the system filters "Level > Rank".

Solar Surge access seems to be a hot topic, so my argument may not fully apply in the near future.