Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Shadow-Hit spells

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 06, 2021
During the shadow enchants spell audits all 3 of the shadow hits: Dark Nova, Dark Shepherd, and Dark Fiend were heavily nerf despite being very underused, minus dark nova. Shadow spells cost 2 shadow pips in an already slow base shadow gauge meta. Spells like smore machine have high dps per 7 pips at max rank with one shadow. These spells were already balance specifically dark-nova in its original form, the other 2 needed a buff not nerf. Hoping the devs could see this and bring more shadow attack base spells in the new world.

Defender
Dec 20, 2008
They were nerfed based on being worth between 6 to 7 pips (each shadow pip is worth about 3 pips). However, I still believe the damage is a bit low since the damage doesn't go based off of our school damage, blades, and traps unless we use universal.

I would love to see more shadow attacks. It's a bit disappointing to only have a selection of 8 shadow spells especially since people only use Shrike. Maybe if they add a new shadow spell, instead of making a shadow creature spell, they could make one focused on being the polar opposite to balance (maybe an attack + balance shield self or attack + remove or push trap on self).

Survivor
Jan 06, 2021
stevp on Sep 4, 2021 wrote:
They were nerfed based on being worth between 6 to 7 pips (each shadow pip is worth about 3 pips). However, I still believe the damage is a bit low since the damage doesn't go based off of our school damage, blades, and traps unless we use universal.

I would love to see more shadow attacks. It's a bit disappointing to only have a selection of 8 shadow spells especially since people only use Shrike. Maybe if they add a new shadow spell, instead of making a shadow creature spell, they could make one focused on being the polar opposite to balance (maybe an attack + balance shield self or attack + remove or push trap on self).
I took that into consideration, 6-7 pips(3-3.5 pipsx2 shadow) vs 1 shadow 7 pip smore that does 1350 base we could say(10.5)pip overall that boost on damage , critical and pierce. Not to mention solar surge takes it up to a whopping 1650 damage. The old dark nova at 1600 damage was already balance for the pip cost and like you mention, is only effective on a universal build which rightfully so takes a bit to put together spending money. Not to mention you have to wait nearly 8-12 turns just to get 2 shadow for a dps of less than 1 smore machine.

Survivor
Jan 06, 2021
stevp on Sep 4, 2021 wrote:

Totally forgot about the backlash you take even after serving 2 likes which should have never been applied to them to begin with. Shadow forms like shrike needed back lash to balance overall pierce vs resist gap. I think the nerf is a little ridiculous.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
I think all the shadow spells need a bit of an overhaul given that the value of shadow pips have changed so drastically. The spells you mentioned may be more in line for what DPP is supposed to be, but given the fact that you need to have two shadow pips to cast all of those, and as you mentioned very little gear focuses on Shadow damage etc. I feel like these spells should be more powerful than they are. Honestly, how often do you get two shadow pips nowadays? Along those lines, I feel like Donate Shadow should also probably be looked at. It has very little use in PVP since everyone seems to 1v1, but it could be useful in PVE if it was actually viable. However, yet again, it's not very often people will save up for two shadow pips, as it's too infrequent. That's why maybe making it cost 1 shadow pip and like 2 or 3 regular pips might be a better option. IMO.