Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

teleporter housing item bug

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Mar 25, 2021
so i have noticed that all my teleporters that have their teleporter item in one house and teleporty destination in another, randomly stop working, for example, i step onto my teleporter in my house tabbi appartment, it should teleport me to my battlemage keep as thats where its destination is set, instead it plays the teleport effect and plops me back onto the teleporter like i never went through it.

Survivor
Jan 28, 2018
happens in my dorm every week or two and i have seen numerous mentions that it happens in apartments as well. leave the apartment/dorm and reenter. i usually walk a circle to give it a few seconds. this mostly works. then i exit the character and go back in. every now and then i have to close wiz101 and load again.

Please contact Customer Support with this problem.

Once they verify the problem, they can forward more information about it to me.

Arthur (Gary)

Survivor
Jan 28, 2018
the problem is that it is intermittent, and hence not easily reproducible. happens with multiple characters on the same account. i can log in with my balance and teleporters work, then login with my main life account and the teleporters become non-teleporting. even walking through a different one or the same one again has no effect.

the lack of telelporting will not change once it stops without minimally leaving the dorm. i do not have an apartment.

it only happens in the dorm and since i am lazy (holding down the direction keys or mouse buttons is hard work. ;) i use the dorm to get to mu hub, and a few tapestries.

happens when i first login or after using it for a while. so it is not like house magic which can sometimes take a few seconds to be available to use.

sometimes when i leave the dorm and walk the circle in front of bartleby and re-enter it works.
if not
sometimes if i use a tapestry to go elsewhere and back it works, but i think that this is similar to just leaving the dorm for 5 or more seconds.
if not
sometimes if i exit the character and reload it works
if not
i do not remember that exiting wizard101 and reloading has not worked.

do not remember it happening more than once in a day, even with different characters.

i have worked support long enough to know that unless you can reproduce the error, you can not try to debug it and i can not leave the character logged in for a day or so until support had a look, not even sure if they can look at an active account. likely need to copy the account to a sandbox to debug.

i will have someone join me next time it happens to see if the teleporter issue exists for their character. not sure what that will say, but might indicate a machine issue if they can teleport. could also try a second wiz101 instance on my machine.

my machine is far from under resourced. could try playing with my laptop, but again the inconsistency makes troubleshooting hard.

thank you for the response.

Delver
Mar 30, 2014
This is not a new bug, it's been happening for years. It happens intermittently and I don't know why. But I have noticed that it seems to only happen with porters in my dorm, as opposed to regular houses (I don't have that apartment). Often, but not always, the problem will go away if I log that wizard off and then return. But sometimes this does not fix the problem. At times it was bad enough that I put backup porters in another house to use if my dorm porters would not work.

Survivor
Jan 28, 2018
had a friend visit when the issue happened and the teleporters did not function for them either.

i would expect that would eliminate my machine, but if the house is generated on my machine, maybe not.

Survivor
Jan 28, 2018
submitted a support request. they had me delete a config.xml file and it had no effect.

Survivor
Jan 28, 2018
the support have team have been pretty good on responses. first we updated my video drivers which were six years out of date. my fault for relying on Asus to update without checking. while it did not resolve the issue, i definitely noticed an improvement in video.

tonight's adventure was uninstalling and reinstalling Wizard101. if you want to keep your photos, make sure to copy them elsewhere first. i have a friend that would be quite upset after losing theirs.

onward to testing. thank you KI for your support and working through this.

Survivor
Jan 28, 2018
After the reinstall, i managed to go a couple of days without the issue. the reinstall is not without it's own side effect. every item ever downloaded has to be downloaded again. this leaves a lot of wait time, just a minor inconvenience.

they had me do a tracert to the login server and determined the likely issue.
i am running windows7 x64 and that is a problem.
the tracert fails at the server farm, but before reaching the login server. you can tell becuase it is not returning the data. unless it is a short hop, in two plus decades i have rarely seen a tracert that is fully filled in. too much traffic in one switch or other infrastructure device can cause this.

tech support has done everything that could and suggest that i work with my ISP to resolve the issue of the latency at the server farm.

my first unresolved issue was the castaway bungalow, when i go up the crows nest, i get kicked out of the house and get an error message that 'the house that you teleported to has been sold. apparently the castaway bungalow is a duplex and i do not own both parts. should have used a realtor or solicitor when purchasing that property. i keep waiting for the miners to come in and claim their mineral rights.

next issue was with the captcha, i would every couple of weeks when logging in be forced to go through the captcha. the one on the game login is atrocious. i was directed to the forum. i decided to try logging in to the website and the captcha there is a breeze to use.

final issue is this one. while i realize that i have an OS that microsoft no longer supports, i have been reluctant to downgrade to windows 10 from windows7.

the problem that i have with this my 600 mb cable modem connection is too slow to properly work with wizard101 when my teleporter is placed in my dorm, but any one of my 36 houses it is fine, even when teleporting to the dorm. just not from it.

i was told that
'Your use of the teleporters is novel. Switching between multiple instances causes a lot of data to be loaded.
Wizard101 loads on demand so potentially going from place to place could slow things down to a point of stalling to failure.'

they never answered how they were novel nor what switching between multiple instances was. just so we have the same understanding of the language used. if i am doing something not advised, i would be glad to change it. i am using one of the large rooms in the aero village as a hub for all houses. i have seen the use of a hub on multiple other players houses. i have had it lose which zone i was in if jumping four or more times in quick succession. makes sense. do not go through the wrong teleporter when i can.

while support went through the basic troubleshooting steps, that was it. the reality is how much support can a company with a $5 to 10 a month product afford to provide. am am sure their support department used several months of fees just for this issue. this is not a complaint about their support, we have had multiple rounds of communication. some of those on weekends or evenings. likely best use of those resources is when things are truly mucked up or you have lost money due to an issue. and i do thank them for their attempts to try some things.
they could be like the company we use at work where a common refrain is that 'it is working as intended'. just not as intended by the users.