Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why is critical so bad?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 03, 2018
I don't know if this has happened to anyone else, but i have died over 10 times due to me doing 23 thousand to the minion and 5000-9000 to the boss. Why does the critical only apply to one person sometimes? I have heard of critical changes, but this is honestly getting on my nerves and you might lose a player.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
As higher level players usually have better stats, bosses are usually stronger than their minions. That includes block. Player critical chance is higher than it has been in a long time, but enemies can still block. Generally landing a crit is a good bet against mobs, but iffy on bosses. Better to have some defense, or buff up for an attack you know will take out the boss without critical.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
While the Spring Update brought about some clever and much needed changes, it seemed one change that was not directly asked for but sneaked in was another re-work to the critical system.

How Critical/Block was before Spring Update - Mobs and bosses would hardly critical, in fact, I observed no mobs [even in higher worlds] gaining any criticals. I must admit that I found this odd. However, mobs and bosses would block [but no critical block animation would be shown].

How Critical/Block is now - Every mob and boss [especially in higher level worlds] are landing criticals for every spell. With damage and resist audited, this is now devastating especially since we are not blocking.

How Critical/Block should be - Firstly, please bring back the critical block animation how it was when the critical system was firstly introduced. If an enemy blocks a spell regardless if it is an AoE or single target, please have them show that they have blocked it rather than us seeing them standing and another going down after the initial hit. Sometimes the block is shown, sometimes it is not, why is that?

Mobs are just that, mobs, they should not be gaining criticals so easily. Yes, they should have the ability to, but not an almost guarantee to. This needs to be heavily revised. They are ruthless, especially with pierce added and boosted.

Bosses can also be toned down a little bit, especially ones that heavily cheat. Please remember that some bosses are using pre-audited versions of spells such as sirens which still removes two charms and leaves a debuff. To clarify, I am only speaking about the frequency in which they gain criticals, not their health or any other factor.

It would be good if as wizards, our block rating actually counted for something. Meaning, the block system was audited with the aim of having us block more, not seeing this as much, even on wizards with high block rating.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Star Edward on Apr 23, 2021 wrote:
While the Spring Update brought about some clever and much needed changes, it seemed one change that was not directly asked for but sneaked in was another re-work to the critical system.

How Critical/Block was before Spring Update - Mobs and bosses would hardly critical, in fact, I observed no mobs [even in higher worlds] gaining any criticals. I must admit that I found this odd. However, mobs and bosses would block [but no critical block animation would be shown].

How Critical/Block is now - Every mob and boss [especially in higher level worlds] are landing criticals for every spell. With damage and resist audited, this is now devastating especially since we are not blocking.

How Critical/Block should be - Firstly, please bring back the critical block animation how it was when the critical system was firstly introduced. If an enemy blocks a spell regardless if it is an AoE or single target, please have them show that they have blocked it rather than us seeing them standing and another going down after the initial hit. Sometimes the block is shown, sometimes it is not, why is that?

Mobs are just that, mobs, they should not be gaining criticals so easily. Yes, they should have the ability to, but not an almost guarantee to. This needs to be heavily revised. They are ruthless, especially with pierce added and boosted.

Bosses can also be toned down a little bit, especially ones that heavily cheat. Please remember that some bosses are using pre-audited versions of spells such as sirens which still removes two charms and leaves a debuff. To clarify, I am only speaking about the frequency in which they gain criticals, not their health or any other factor.

It would be good if as wizards, our block rating actually counted for something. Meaning, the block system was audited with the aim of having us block more, not seeing this as much, even on wizards with high block rating.

Agreed, Star Edward. I've been fighting the Stay Puffed Marshfellow ever since the update came out and the Critical and Block rates are absurd.

Before it was too little, now it is too much. Why was this not in Test Realm so it could be examined properly?

I would suggest that these critical changes be retracted until a different system can be devised. I agree that as it is now it is too powerful.

Survivor
Feb 20, 2017
Also, is it just me or even with a very low chance (like 8 ~10%) mobs are still blocking your crits most of the time? I swear it's making me crazy.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Not sure how many others are experiencing or can relate to this issue.

Survivor
Apr 20, 2009
Critical is so broken right now. I am in early Avalon wearing "pro" Waterworks gears and normal mobs in Avalon streets Crit hit hard.

Example.

Storm in early Avalon going up against storm.

My Storm has 2500 Health, I added Crit block since update I am at 50 block across the road. My resist is 26.

Round 1. Hobgoblin first (this is in actual order.) First attacks Crit me for around 620 on Stormzilla . Second hit Kraken crit hits me for around 450-500 round one my health is roughly 1500.

I cast Storm Blade

Round 2. First Hobgoblin passes and second casts storm blade.

I cast pet or gem storm blade.. new update cant tell the difference till casted... sadly

Round 3. First Hobgoblin hits non critical Kraken around 400 Second casts critical shark for 400 or so.

I cast storm lord they die.

I have 600 life left. If I Fizz do I have life left after the next round? and yes I could spam tempest too rounds in a row but for the same ending.

So the question needs to be answered... Why give normal mobs on the street so much critical chance? How did changing the look and feel of critical affect Crit rates on normal mobs so strong? Where in the update did it say you were giving everything more critical rate. The easy answer is you didn't. You have taken the fun out of the game and we wont even get into boss fights...

Fix Critical. Critical is broken.. And I feel bad for players in bigger maps getting owned in fights on the streets...

Don't wait till next week... don't think about it.. Fix it... or your going to start having players drop like flies

Explorer
Mar 25, 2021
Star Edward on Apr 23, 2021 wrote:

this has halted all progression for me in azteca, before the update i had no problem with bosses, a hard challenge here and there where i needed to adjust, but nothing impossible. now i lose 80% of my health in the first turn because the untested update to the crit/block system.

Survivor
Apr 20, 2009
Gemma Luna on Apr 13, 2021 wrote:
As higher level players usually have better stats, bosses are usually stronger than their minions. That includes block. Player critical chance is higher than it has been in a long time, but enemies can still block. Generally landing a crit is a good bet against mobs, but iffy on bosses. Better to have some defense, or buff up for an attack you know will take out the boss without critical.
Some times buffing takes to long. Critical is out of control for mid areas that rely on waterworks gear. the game is trying to push in a different direction with gear that just is not available.

this whole critical thing is a mess right now

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
If it is a case where mobs and bosses are intended to critical this much [still do not see the sense behind it], then save such updates for hardcore, optional dungeons or side content, not the main quest line.

We do not want to go back to the Pre Mirage and Azteca days when enemies were overpowered and destroying us in the first couple rounds.

Imagine facing two storm mobs or more and all of them using a critical leviathan on you, this being backed with the buffed stormblade and trap.

Please revise this update and also include the critical block animation.

Also, some mobs too are using pre-audited spells, is this intended?
Such as dark pack still doing death damage instead of moon.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Roseylee1998 on Apr 25, 2021 wrote:
this has halted all progression for me in azteca, before the update i had no problem with bosses, a hard challenge here and there where i needed to adjust, but nothing impossible. now i lose 80% of my health in the first turn because the untested update to the crit/block system.
Azteca already had it's challenges the way it is, from instances in which you've to fight two bosses at the same time, to cheating bosses, to facing up to three mobs at the same time.

With all these enemies landing criticals with their heavy hitting spells in the first round, you cast your blade, you will most likely succumb to a wand hit by the enemy the next.

This doesn't seem like an experience a casual player would want to continuously be going through.

Your testimony here alongside the others in this post are just a few of the large concern that is growing amongst the player base.

Explorer
Mar 25, 2021
Dd1011 on Apr 25, 2021 wrote:
Some times buffing takes to long. Critical is out of control for mid areas that rely on waterworks gear. the game is trying to push in a different direction with gear that just is not available.

this whole critical thing is a mess right now
yeah, bosses are landing crits each and every turn now, im level 89 and cannot progress in azteca because of this. they didnt test the changes very well if at all

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
I demand that Critical is reverted to the way it was before the Spring Update. It is untested, unbalanced, and has drawn nothing but the ire of a large part of the playerbase.

I do not understand why this wasn't in Test so we could give our opinion on it. Everybody here is correct. Frankly, this current system is unhealthy.

Defender
Jan 16, 2010
Lookit Light on Apr 26, 2021 wrote:
I demand that Critical is reverted to the way it was before the Spring Update. It is untested, unbalanced, and has drawn nothing but the ire of a large part of the playerbase.

I do not understand why this wasn't in Test so we could give our opinion on it. Everybody here is correct. Frankly, this current system is unhealthy.
What's even more frustrating, at least from my view, is we're not hearing any feedback on our feedback, if that makes sense - from anyone at KingsIsle. Or on the boards, even a "hey, we understand this is an issue, we're looking at it" would probably calm people down a little. I guess I'm glad I rerolled my necromancer, and I'm currently in Marleybone with her. I guess I'm going to be taking my time to get her up to a higher level, especially to Celestia and Wintertusk. (Guess who's going to be doing badges?)

I would also ask if this was something that was unintended, or if this was actually snuck in without anyone knowing about it? I would agree perhaps bosses and enemies do deserve to have a chance to crit, but honestly not every single time they cast a spell. The same could be said about us I suppose, but at this point I would say just tear out the entire crit/block system. Just my opinion. Seems like its more trouble than its worth.

Anyone from KI looking at this thread?

Explorer
Mar 25, 2021
Halimeda on Apr 26, 2021 wrote:
What's even more frustrating, at least from my view, is we're not hearing any feedback on our feedback, if that makes sense - from anyone at KingsIsle. Or on the boards, even a "hey, we understand this is an issue, we're looking at it" would probably calm people down a little. I guess I'm glad I rerolled my necromancer, and I'm currently in Marleybone with her. I guess I'm going to be taking my time to get her up to a higher level, especially to Celestia and Wintertusk. (Guess who's going to be doing badges?)

I would also ask if this was something that was unintended, or if this was actually snuck in without anyone knowing about it? I would agree perhaps bosses and enemies do deserve to have a chance to crit, but honestly not every single time they cast a spell. The same could be said about us I suppose, but at this point I would say just tear out the entire crit/block system. Just my opinion. Seems like its more trouble than its worth.

Anyone from KI looking at this thread?
doubt it, the changes were slipped in last second, the old crit/block system was fine before they decided to tweak the stats every single update. im getting some pirate101 vibes here, where all feedback is being ignored or downplayed. which is kinda sad.

Survivor
Aug 05, 2020
It also feels as if things have even changed within the past couple of days. Just a couple days ago I was questing through Mirage with a friend, and I crit ~85% of the time, and had around a 1.6x multiplier from crits. I haven't leveled up or changed my gear since then. Today I was fighting ghultures in the caravan, and I only had a 65% chance to crit, and only would do 1.26x when I do crit. Did they sneak in an update to crit block or something without telling anyone? I don't know how I'm going to make it through the end of Mirage with me getting crits so infrequently, and doing that little extra when I do crit, while my enemies are critting constantly.

Survivor
Feb 20, 2017
I had stats like "90-95% chance to crit, x1.70 damage and 5-10% chance to being blocked" some days after the update and all of a sudden i'm getting "70% chance to crit, x1.36 damage and 4-10% chance to being blocked". My gear has only improved since i swapped from Darkmoor to Dragoon.
What is going on?

Survivor
Feb 20, 2017
MusicalFan23 on Apr 27, 2021 wrote:
It also feels as if things have even changed within the past couple of days. Just a couple days ago I was questing through Mirage with a friend, and I crit ~85% of the time, and had around a 1.6x multiplier from crits. I haven't leveled up or changed my gear since then. Today I was fighting ghultures in the caravan, and I only had a 65% chance to crit, and only would do 1.26x when I do crit. Did they sneak in an update to crit block or something without telling anyone? I don't know how I'm going to make it through the end of Mirage with me getting crits so infrequently, and doing that little extra when I do crit, while my enemies are critting constantly.
I can confirm they did. I'm critting less and for way less damage now, and the funny thing is i just upgraded to full Dragoon Gear.
Never felt so weak.

Survivor
Jul 28, 2018
I would agree that the critical system has some issues. Consistency being the biggest one imo.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Update:

So, since this post, it seems a small, maybe unnoticeable tweak was done to the critical system.

Bosses and mobs are no longer gaining criticals for every spell, but now for every other spell.

The blocking system still needs to be revised.

Enemies are blocking without the animation being shown.
Enemies are also still gaining criticals way too often.

The mechanic is wiping out players in earlier worlds such as Azteca which has quite a number of challenging fights [in the main quest line].

Survivor
Feb 20, 2017
I think a big part of the issue comes from the critical damage multiplier.
I'm a max Death Wizard with 720 crit chance with the best gear i can get (including crowns wand), and against some random Ghultures in mirage my crit damage is a mere x1.39.

It's quite frustrating and makes my effort for getting my stats worthless.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
I wanted to speak to this as well, the critical multiplier.

I have now noticed that bosses and mobs are not gaining criticals as often [thanks].

However, the multiplier needs urgent revision. Can we please have it back reverted to critical doing double [x2] damage and leave the multiplier adjustment to PvP only?

Why is it so hard to separate the two?

With nerfed damage, nerfed blades, gaining criticals with a multiplier of x1.3 - 1.5 hardly does any damage.

Why are the multipliers this low in PvE?

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
I've just heard that Critical has just been reverted to the way that it was before the Spring Update.

My sincerest thanks to Kingsisle for listening to the concerns of the community. This change should not have happened outside of Test Realm, and we appreciate the acknowledgement of our issues. I hope that this mistake does not have to be made again.

I know that slight changes to Critical still need to be made to allow for proper scaling. When the time comes that Kingsisle has a new proposal, I would suggest the opening of a special Test Realm in order for us to give our feedback and come to an eventual consensus on the best available method.

Survivor
Jul 12, 2013
Hi everyone,

Recently I've been attempting to quest up my Ice Wizard Ryan FairyHunter who has been sitting in the dust at level 88 for about 2-3 years. But once I came back, (keep in mind I've been playing on other characters), the game seems much more...confusing..??

Don't get me wrong, the updates are nice and all. But the game is getting pretty confusing. Plus, I'm already have difficulty questing. Matters aren't getting worse as spells are continuing to get nerfed/buffed even AFTER the spring update.

I wish the game was more simplified, though I understand moving forward into the higher levels changes need to be made.
Also on a side note, I wish the KI developers would have kept the test realm up longer so that we can voice our opinions on these changes, then edit them as they go. Not just shoving them in and seeing how they do.

No hate to you KI developers/team, I luv ya

Explorer
Nov 23, 2008
My Storm has worked so very hard to get my damage up, crowns spent, gold spent, thousands of hours gardening for mega snacks not to mention farming for the seeds. I can not tell you how hard it was to get the perfect pet, and the many hatches for it using gold, crowns on energy elixirs. KI, look at my account and the thousands of dollars spent on this game to become what I was only to have a damage of 192 knocked down to under 180? What is going on? This has actually made me make a decision that maybe I am spending too much money on this game and the feeling of being robbed. I have been a member since 2008, this is all my family plays. I can not believe any of this. To say the least and I think many others feel the same, we all feel robbed of all our hard work, not to mention I shattered a 20% crit jewel on my gear this past week to put on a pierce because we were all told crit no longer mattered. Sorry for my upset and speaking out, but this needs to be addressed immediately. Thank you.